• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever called off work to play a video game?

Have you ever called off work to play a game?

• Total voters

JCK75

Nope - until April 2022 I had a bitch wife who hated me playing games.. at work I have my own office, plenty of down time and a gaming PC... my chances of playing a new game would be better at work.

Mr Hyde

Never taken a day off to play video games. I'm always free on fridays (I only work monday to thursday) so if a game I want to play drops on a Friday, I'm covered. But I rarely buy games at release so never had a reason to call in sick. In fact I think it shows poor work ethics if you skip work just to play games.

Last edited:
Sure, just two weeks ago I’ve called in sick cause playing Hogwarts sounded more fun than heading to the office.
I mean, 10 to 15 sick days a year or so is pretty much the average so why not make use of them.
To be fair most of them are wasted on hangover days though.

Might take one or two vacation days when FFXVI comes out but we’ll see.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Yes, the day God of War (the reboot) came out. Amazon notification showed up and I started to pretend that I was kinda sick.

It was a shitty job so whatever.

Last edited:

samenamenick

Neo Member
It's been forever, but I took a couple days for mass effect. Around thanksgiving iirc. Prior to that, voce city I think (that I do remember being the final time I stood in a line at the mall to grab a vidya day one)

Rac3r

Somewhat. When I started college I had a part time job at K-Mart (lol). The PS4 had just come out (Nov 2013) and I was supposed to work on Black Friday. Obviously I didn't show up and one of the store managers called me multiple times throughout the night but I just ignored it. I vividly remember binging Killzone, Resogun and Trine 2 that whole day. I assumed I was fired and never went back after that.

Those were low stakes though and I would't do it today.

Last edited:

Edmund

Took a week off work to play tekken tag tournament 2 and tekken 7.
Will be taking 2 days off when Street Fighter 6 releases.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I've put in PTO but never called off. These days it's just RE releases. Always take that Friday off to prepare for all night session. 🔥🔥🔥🔥

demigod

Yeah EverQuest. Every time when playing on time locked servers and a new expansion unlocks. Gotta get them levels fast!

AJUMP23

I don't really have to ask off I can work anytime from anywhere as long as I do not abuse it. But there have been a few games over the years I have not gone into work because of. Makes my wife mad that I can do it.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I don't think I've ever called out to play a specific game. But I've called out and then proceeded to spend the day playing games in general.

anothertech

So many times when I was working corporate for "the man" lol, sick, pto, annual leave, always happened right around my most anticipated games

Now I make my own hours owning my own business. The one thing that makes it all worth it is the time.

I told will be playing lightfall for 3 days straight op 👍

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
No, but I've called out of school to play a game. I remember calling out because I stayed up until 3 am playing FF9 and wanted to finish it the next day so I called out. Plus going to bed at 3 and waking up at 6 was going to be a grind.

Sleepwalker

I have a lot of free time and can game whenever nowadays. Haven't had a boss since 2015 or so.

Back when I worked shit jobs I would take days off and sick days and be late whenever I could, sometimes to play games, sometimes not, just didn't give a shit about the companies or people I worked for.

TexMex

Yeah same. Since most all games seem to unlock at midnight, I like being able to play til 4am without having to wake up early.

Yes, occasionally. Just this past friday for Hogwarts. Have about 300 hours of combo PTO vacation / sick leave. Sacraficial, i mean "essentail" worker who grinded during Rona'. Usually put in for "Mental health" days just to be cheeky.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I took a week off to play GTA V when it first came out. Found out the online was broken AF and ended up shortening my vacation because I didn't need as much time to play the single player portion of the game.

Fools idol

Banned
Fuck yeah I did.

I took an entre month off work when dragon quest 11 came out, bu I'm the boss so I can do whatever I like lol. I told my employees I was traveling to see family.

Back in the days before I was self empoyed I would take a few days here and there. I took a 4 day weekend to binge uncharted 4 when it came out.

Knightime_X

Not work, but I definitely skipped school once to finish beating castlevania symphony of the night I rented friday night.

F31 Leopard

Not unexpectedly no but I’ve definitely scheduled PTO in advance for big game or system launches.
Same here. I request PTO in advance because I don't want to be a inconsiderate to my co-workers. I only request PTO for every new monster hunter release.

Yes. I fist did it for Mario IV then for Lunar The Sliver Star and then Exhumed. The last time I did it, was on the release day of the Xbox One X

Who hasn't? E3 or Game Awards often have me neglecting work unless it's an emergency. Almost every Halo release a buddy and I burn through campaign through the night and next day if necessary.

Alexvot86

Neo Member
Knew this would be a Destiny thread, haha. Wife and I were thinking about it today. We are both hyped for lightfall, but going to stay strong.

Thankfully in the UK launch is 5pm when we get back from work so we'll get our fill of new expansion day server errors tomorrow eve.

Alexvot86

Neo Member
Have faked sickness back in school but not work. I feel guilty for some reason. A few of us "missed the school bus" for wwf smackdown on the ps1 and it was glorious.

YukiOnna

Of course, I did it plenty of times during school and do so at work. Not like I owe a manager anything and they can handle it. I even tell colleagues I'm calling in sick this or that day so get ready or do the same. No one rats anyone out, lol.

Onironauta

Not quite, but working remotely I play games during work hours sometimes

Once I took a sick day out of laziness and ended up playing games

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Anyone who says No is absolutely lying. Everyone has taken a day off to play a game they were super excited for, or asked to leave early.

I did it often during launch of WoW expansions and Final Fantasy game releases. Until they ruined it with Legion. Fuck Legion. And Shadowlands. And Dragonflight. Fuck now I am sad.

Deerock71

Seriously? Why would members of THIS forum call off work to play video games?
Breaking Bad Reaction GIF

200.gif

last game I did that for was Spider-Man on PS4. I literally watched the clock countdown for the last hour before it unlocked at midnight on launch day :messenger_tears_of_joy:

nush

I didn't plan to but usually my packages of import games back in the day would be delivered after I left for work. However the package containing Street Fighter Alpha 3 for the Saturn arrived unusually early. So I just called in and played it all day, I get paid sick so it wasn't like I even lost any money.

I think the next closest thing to that years later would be leaving work early on a Wednesday when an anticipated XBLA game was going to drop so I could download it right away. I'd do that a lot.

Top Bottom