• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever called off work to play a video game?

Have you ever called off work to play a game?

• Total voters

Js562

Anyone who says No is absolutely lying. Everyone has taken a day off to play a game they were super excited for, or asked to leave early.

I did it often during launch of WoW expansions and Final Fantasy game releases. Until they ruined it with Legion. Fuck Legion. And Shadowlands. And Dragonflight. Fuck now I am sad.
Amazon Studios Im Telling The Truth GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Nah my games will be there when I get home. I've taken days off sick and for other issues but not to play games. I've been excited by many games but I still won't call off for one.

lachesis

In late 90s, kind of. I took a day off, to do something that conflicted with my schedule... then played games after that was done.
I am guilty of playing some games at home during remote though - with email and phone next to me when there's nothing going on. (or watching netflix or some shows)

Neolombax

Yea, once. I took an annual leave. I think it was for a Destiny expansion, can't recall which one. Was a waste of time though, servers couldn't handle the amount of people trying to get in, there were also some progression bugs, so largely couldn't play the game.

Now its just wiser to wait about a day before playing these always online game releases.

I faked being sick to play WoW burning crusade expansion. Totally worth it as I actually learned a lot more playing the game than I did at my crappy middle school.

MayauMiao

Never and its why I am not into games like Destiny or any other live services that demand me to be on time for certain "big events". I want my gaming time to be there when I feel like it and not feel like a job.

ebevan91

Called off? No. But I have used PTO for a game before, and I'm currently waiting for the Starfield release date so I can take off like a week.

Rubicaant

I used to pretend to be sick so i could stay home from school. My dad, knowing i was playing hooky would rent Mike Tyson's Punch Out during his lunch break and play it in front of me and tell me i'm too sick to play.

Then let me play once he went back to work. Good times.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Called off? Bud, I've quit or been fired for just not showing up to play games. It was a long time ago and I've grown up (slightly) since then. But I have no regrets.
Yep. I called out for a week straight to play Fallout: New Vegas and got fired for it, my girlfriend at the time almost dumped me. :messenger_tears_of_joy: I was young and dumb but that was a very fun week. Never was fired from a job since though *knocks on wood*

Naked Lunch

Halo releases are a national holiday in this household.
Too bad they only come around every 5 years or so in recent times... :(

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Definitely. When working in the food industry and other misc jobs years ago it felt natural. What got annoying was having a boss question me about my days off. It was some remark like, “ok, so what game is coming out that day?”. I took off for many different midnight launches and other stuff. In the last couple years I took off a day for RDR2, KH3, GoW 2018, TLoU2, RE Village, and of course Elden Ring. The last time I took off was two days for Elden Ring. No regrets whatsoever. I don’t know when I’ll do it again. Having a family means I have consider others around me before I do it. If I do it means I have PTO to burn and nothing planned where I’ll need it.

My extended family has a cruise planned for us all to go to the Bahamas this year. That eats at my PTO. I am not paying for it and I’m trying to be grateful. The reality is, if I had a say in it, my vacation would consist of game time and maybe take out. Not as expensive as a cruise either. Going places is fun once in a while but what I want to do with my time off is my choice.

Nihilum

A press demo leaked of Deux Ex: Human Revolution and I enjoyed it so much I completed that demo about 5 times. When the game was released I bought the collector's edition and took 3 days off work to play it through.
Good times.

H4ze

Yeah, there have been a few special occasions. WoW, Dark Souls 3 and so on. Good times.
Now, as an adult, I don't really do it anymore since I would just fuck myself over if my work is overdue...

Methos#1975

I take PTO sometimes for big releases, Like I took two days off in May so I get a four day weekend to play Zelda. Getting paid to play Zelda? Yes please!!

Neo_GAF

Banned
from the top of my head:
i didnt go to school to buy the gamecube on launch day.
there were tons of games where i bought them day one(or even received them even earlier i.e. RE4)
and stayed at home to play them on the first day.
the last game i did that was during university where i bought uncharted 3 on launch day and played it through on that day.

there were also a few other things i did.
since then there was no game which got me hyped like that.

Last edited:

Dynasty8

Yes, but I was actually sick. I usually fight through and work, (pre-covud times) but obviously the excitement for the game made me say fuck it. The game was FFXV......now I wish I worked instead.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Didn’t call off, got to play for a good 2hrs. Good enough to power thru a day doing the bare minimum, the American dream!

GTA IV came out at the end of my last semester as a college instructor, and I absolutely cancelled class for the release day. I'd like to think at least some people in the class appreciated it.

ssringo

Yup. In fact I traded working some extra (unpaid) hours last weekend for a 4 day weekend to play Resident Evil 4 Remake. And yes, I specifically told my boss that was what I was doing. He's done stuff like that for Destiny content as well so it's all good.

I skipped out on attending a funeral for a game release as well.
I wouldn't have gone anyway but I like saying it like this.

Osthyvel

Yes, many times, worst was back in 1997, a whole week! Guess the game?

First right answer wins a pink tractor in optional color.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
It's been a while but yeah, I used to take off. Would still take off but there is hardly a release that gets me hyped. For a TESVI I will probably take off.

In the early parts of my working days, I would use my sick time liberally. The jobs weren’t anything to write home about and I didn’t really need the work. I’d typically cash my paycheck, pay some bills, then dump the rest of it at GameStop to get the latest releases. I would then call off work sick the first chance I got, invite my buddy over, and we’d game from 8am til like 11pm. I’ve got too many responsibilities to pull that off now but I the thought crosses my mind from time to time haha. Take me back to the simpler times…

Superkewl

Gold Member
No, but I was out of work when The burning Crusade expansion came out for WoW and I didn't bother looking for a job for months because I was too consumed by playing it.

soulbait

Called off? No. But I have taken a PTO day in past (360 Launch is one I can remember).

Anymore though, I wouldn't. I would rather save that the PTO time to spend time with family/friends. The game will always be there waiting for me.

NickFire

Only a smidge over 1/2 of us have banged out over a game?

Those are rookie numbers people. Gotta pump those numbers up.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I play a lot of games but strangely have never missed or even considered taking a vacation day or a sick day just to play. Odd really.

Top Bottom