• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 |OT| Another bug infested game

Schmendrick

Railgun is useless now. Killing a titan with it take ages.
Edit: and yes it's set in unsafe.
Season 2 Omg GIF by Rick and Morty

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Man that sucks, I loved the railgun. I didnt think it was OP... its was just effective when so many of the other weapons felt ineffective against the bigger bugs.

Like the crushers or chargers or whatever they are. Those are a massive pain in the ass against regular weapons. Railgun made them manageable but you have to land 2 precision shots against their legs. That didnt seem OP. (maybe thats still the case, I havent gotten to fire it up yet.)

But I thought it felt great, the game was still hard it wasnt easy mode or anything.

GymWolf

Quick impressions about the balancement (against the bugs only)

the punisher is now super viable, great stopping power and damage, but still pretty slow and only light arm pen, i think the slugger is still better because of the medium arm pen.

spray and pray is now pretty good, it kinda act like a slightly worse breaker.

Laser cannon is now viable, aiming for limbs for max results but it works well against the spewers if you aim for the head, i heard that it's even better against bots if you hit weakspots...but the arc thrower is still much better.

didn't tried the flamethrower but a squad mate was trying it, i told him to try the arc thrower instead and he said he was better because the flames don't really have stopping power at all where the AT stop anything that is not an heavy
(i heard it melts the chargers if you focus the flame in the back of the frontal legs)

the 120mm barrage seems to work better but it's still pretty random, i used it against 4 nests groups, cleared 2, completely avoided the other 2, random af.

I'm pretty sure they did something to the arc thrower because before the patch the chaining was only in a straight line, but now it seems to chain to lateral enemies aswell, or maybe i'm just imagining things...

Last edited:

GymWolf

Railgun is useless now. Killing a titan with it take ages.
Edit: and yes it's set in unsafe.
I heard that killing a titan with 2-3 hits was a bug related to the host of the game or some shit so they just fixed the bug...

In theory the railgun in unsafe mode is as powerfull as before if you hit weakpoints but i haven't tried yet.

Luipadre

Gold Member
Im using jump pack and arc thrower now. Both are amazing. Also the meteor showers are intimidating af and when it detonates the cold hellbombs on the map it looks glorious. Game just got better and vehicles are not even out

Last edited:

Ballistic

Ditch your light armor unless you're running personal shield because you’re literally a pincushion now. It also feels like they upped spawn timing on not just eradicate missions. I tried slugger and it felt useless, 5 shots to stalker. Flamethrowers are strong, especially against chargers but don’t be near your teammate with light armor as it’s instant bbq.

Does anyone drop on evac spot? I’ve found this spot to be safest and most efficient as you just travel counter or clockwise around the map completing your missions and finishing back at evac.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I heard that killing a titan with 2-3 hits was a bug related to the host of the game or some shit so they just fixed the bug...
I liked it better that way honestly. Now it's just spongy as fuck and trying to do the perfect shot means nothing as you will need your 20 ammo just to deal with one.

In theory the railgun in unsafe mode is as powerfull as before if you hit weakpoints but i haven't tried yet.
I was with a mate and we needed 5 hits of Railgun minimum. I don't know were this "3 hits only" is coming from but it's not true. The unsafe mode is weaker as I'm only using it that way and I can clearly see a downgrade in DPS/efficiency against armor.
We actually killed the Charger before any of its armor was exposed (only using the Railgun). Combined with a 3rd mate and the Arc it's a bit better but it still take way too much time just to kill one.

The Stig

They nerfed the railgun AND the shield backpack?

How can I cover up the fact I'm not very good at this anymore?
yup. i sneaked in 2 missions on lunch break. the nerfing of the railgun means the charger is MUCH harder to deal with.

also how to I set my railgun to the overcharge setting? I hold R to bring up the choice but cant change it from normal mode

Schmendrick

so....with the railgun nerfed to oblivion (even in unsafe mode)...what can be done on diff 8-9 vs the heavy-hordes?
That was already a frantic hit and run even before the nerfs and now just turned into "run away and wait for your stratagem cooldowns". At least for the last 2 diff settings where running into half a dozen chargers with 2-3 Titans chasing you at the same time is occurring rather frequently I don`t see an option besides Orbitals anymore. So instead of giving more options by bringing other weapons up to snuff (spear anyone?) they took options away......

so....with the railgun nerfed to oblivion (even in unsafe mode)...what can be done on diff 8-9 vs the heavy-hordes?
That was already a frantic hit and run even before the nerfs and now just turned into "run away and wait for your stratagem cooldowns". At least for the last 2 diff settings where running into half a dozen chargers with 2-3 Titans chasing you at the same time is occurring rather frequently I don`t see an option besides Orbitals anymore. So instead of giving more options by bringing other weapons up to snuff (spear anyone?) they took options away......
Flamethrower. It is now more powerful than the railgun(vs bugs) and it is also much more enjoyable to use

DelireMan7

Since the patch, sure the game is harder. But am not a fan on the huge wave on complaint just 24h after the patch.

Personally I think till now, the "meta" (Shiel/railgun/breaker) loadout spreaded a "careless" playstyle where triggering fights and aggro big enemies was not such a big deal. I didn't run the meta build but by playing with randoms there was always at least 2 meta loadout per mission. So they were taking care easily of the big threats (+ some of my stratagem) and running careless in middle of group enemies thank to the shield.

Now that these options are less powerful, people are a bit lost. A new playstyle have to be found.
When I was playing solo, I was very tactical and stealthy. I could clear mission with barely any fights.
I think the tactical part of this game has to be taken more seriously. I get it it's nice to rain down explosion and shooting big bugs but you're not suppose to do it all time.
I don't say to go full stealth but maybe coordinate more to take out patrol quicker before reinforcement are called for example.

In addition, mechas (and most probably new weapons) will come very soon (apparently next Thursday).

Also could be this patch was too much and dev will make some adjustment if they see it's not going well.

I get that it can be frustrating. We used to clearly easily lvl 7 with a friend but since the patch, we had to drop back to 6. There are 9 lvl of difficulty, you can adjust that if you still want to a fun but still some challenge.

Last edited:
I think the "balance patch" was also a hidden way to increase difficulty in advance of upcoming mechs/vehicles.
After all, some players were crushing the hardest difficulties well enough without the new toys.

Also community crying on Reddit is one thing - but the Devs outright toxicity in the official discord needs to be a bigger story. For those unaware, one dev outright said he was taunting the players on purpose to take extra enjoyment from their whining.

Last edited:

nowhat

Gold Member
Also community crying on Reddit is one thing - but the Devs outright toxicity in the official discord needs to be a bigger story. For those unaware, one dev outright said he was taunting the players on purpose to take extra enjoyment from their whining.
So for the record, I haven't still played this game. Multiplayer isn't really my thing, but this seems interesting enough. May give it a go some time.

But when it comes to community responses, that's like... great? Seriously. I'm tired of bland neutral responses vetted by HR that mean nothing. Downright trolling I can get behind.

Arrowhead devs have been phenomenal communicating to gamers ever since HD1 released. It used to be a small die hard fan base that was just happy a game like HD1 existed. With the powerhouse that is HD2, Arrowhead is going to learn sooner or later that being as communicative is just a waste of energy. That goes for the CEO with constant twitter responses too. As a community, mainstream gamers are just so incredibly toxic, especially if they grind your game everyday

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Arrowhead devs have been phenomenal communicating to gamers ever since HD1 released. It used to be a small die hard fan base that was just happy a game like HD1 existed. With the powerhouse that is HD2, Arrowhead is going to learn sooner or later that being as communicative is just a waste of energy. That goes for the CEO with constant twitter responses too. As a community, mainstream gamers are just so incredibly toxic, especially if they grind your game everyday

Agreed with that.

It's funny how people change quickly. On the subreddit Arrowhead were gods and since the patch it's just full of complaints "WTF the devs were thinking", "This patch is bad, devs don't understand how games work".

Internet was a mistake xD

Last edited:

Braag

I feel like all the primary weapons feel terrible to use. Most of them feel too weak, some of them have super small clips and worst of them are weak with small clips.

I wish they balanced the primary weapons so that some of them are stronger against bugs and some strong against automatons. It would encourage people to change their layout more often.

Kings Field

No, if its broken like the railgun was. It had 0 downside. Imagine if they'd buff everything to that level... yeah now thanks. I hope everyone who cries about changes like this will leave this game, we dont need a crybaby community

Doesn’t matter if it was broken, it was fun. I’m not punching a time card when I play a game. I don’t need validation that I’m “super duper tryhard bruh” from a PVE multiplayer game lmfao.

Schmendrick

No, if its broken like the railgun was. It had 0 downside. Imagine if they'd buff everything to that level... yeah now thanks. I hope everyone who cries about changes like this will leave this game, we dont need a crybaby community
the railgun was never broken in diff 8-9, the balancing of the rest of the roster just was crap with something like the spear outright not working correctly f.e.......
And for someone who doesn`t want crybabies you sure sound like one right now.
People can have opinions.

Last edited:

BuddyLaDouche

Neo Member
I think the Devs need to come out with a clear statement about their vision for the difficulty scale of the game. Is their intention that only very top players can handle the highest difficulty levels or is it meant to be more accessible than that? The community has had a taste of just about anyone being able to grind and play the Helldiver difficulty, and to take that away via rebalance is never going to go well on the PR front. Maybe they could have waited until they intro'd new difficulty levels to retain the goodwill of the existing player base. Who knows, but it sucks to see the conversation around the game swing so quickly from overwhelmingly positive to negative.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
And now the devs are just antagonizing the community. What the actual fuck. They're gonna learn the hard way, a few examples but there is more:

I think the Devs need to come out with a clear statement about their vision for the difficulty scale of the game
Some devs have said you can still deal with Chargers, but none have actually shown a viable solution (the weak point on the back is a joke, and removing armor is just not feasible with 4+ Charger).
They said "rely on your stratagem!" Well ok but how I can do this with the big cooldown, the +100% time to call and + 50% to refill. It's not doable.

And the fact that they just spit in our face with those comments made me want to stop playing. At least for now.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
And now the devs are just antagonizing the community. What the actual fuck. They're gonna learn the hard way, a few examples but there is more:

Some devs have said you can still deal with Chargers, but none have actually shown a viable solution (the weak point on the back is a joke, and removing armor is just not feasible with 4+ Charger).
They said "rely on your stratagem!" Well ok but how I can do this with the big cooldown, the +100% time to call and + 50% to refill. It's not doable.

And the fact that they just spit in our face with those comments made me want to stop playing. At least for now.

The director has already responded to this - that it is unacceptable, and that person has been taken off communication.

While I don't like the idea of nerfing, it's much better than to just keep adding new difficulty tiers which results in a fragmented playerbase. That happened with Sunbreak where each new title update increased the anomaly grind and matchmaking which was already shit compared to World's got subdivided into so many tiers that it takes forever to get a group.

What Arrowhead should have done is just hold back on releasing difficulty 7-9 until they got a bit more data. But I guess that's what they're doing now for 10-12.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
The director has already responded to this - that it is unacceptable, and that person has been taken off communication.
Of course it is but I don't care as it shouldn't be happening in the first place. Are they employing 12 year olds who can't control themselves? Also what is the mentality of this studio, which thinks that improving ineffective weapons is a bad thing, then mocks the community? I'm tired of defending those kind of bullshit they need to take their responsibility (not only for the comments, but the nerf).

the railgun was never broken in diff 8-9, the balancing of the rest of the roster just was crap with something like the spear outright not working correctly f.e.......
And for someone who doesn`t want crybabies you sure sound like one right now.
People can have opinions.
Railgun was totally broken and is an overall un-fun weapon to main, especially vs bugs.

If you are going guns blazing, levels 8-9 should be incredibly difficult, with more likely to fail than succeed, imo. HD2 has really solid stealth mechanics that few players properly utilize, let alone entire teams. I don't like the idea that the toughest missions can be completed with randoms with no communication, which is what the game was like before the patch

Last edited:

Ballistic

we’re getting our ass’s kicked out there. The bugs and the bots are throwing numbers we can’t handle at us. It’s time to unleash the big guns so we can turn the tide of this war soldiers.

That’s the narrative being spun and that’s why the patch happened. Plus, it’s to get the farmers to learn how to play the game.

Like it’s been said, poke a patrol and it goes agro. Rando groups have a bad habit of shooting everything and throwing respawns into the charging horde. Plus they love dropping the team on top of a nest with an obscured map.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Railgun was totally broken and is an overall un-fun weapon to main, especially vs bugs.

If you are going guns blazing, levels 8-9 should be incredibly difficult, with more likely to fail than succeed, imo. HD2 has really solid stealth mechanics that few players properly utilize, let alone entire teams. I don't like the idea that the toughest missions can be completed with randoms with no communication
"Me dont have fun, so you don't have fun too"

Such drama over an update. Petty af.
Oh look, people talking about an update that broke the game they really like! On a gaming forum! I should mock them because...?

But I actually support him.
Well of course you do

Killjoy-NL

"Me dont have fun, so you don't have fun too"

Oh look, people talking about an update that broke the game they really like! On a gaming forum! I should mock them because...?

Well of course you do
You really think it helps to rant in here about your OP weapons being taken away?

If you leave, nobody will care. Especially not when the content drop hits.

DelireMan7

I think the Devs need to come out with a clear statement about their vision for the difficulty scale of the game. Is their intention that only very top players can handle the highest difficulty levels or is it meant to be more accessible than that? The community has had a taste of just about anyone being able to grind and play the Helldiver difficulty, and to take that away via rebalance is never going to go well on the PR front. Maybe they could have waited until they intro'd new difficulty levels to retain the goodwill of the existing player base. Who knows, but it sucks to see the conversation around the game swing so quickly from overwhelmingly positive to negative.
That's a good point.

If the first game is an indication of what they want, highest difficulty shouldn't be achievable by everybody. It was really tough succeeding a lvl 13/14/15 mission.

Now with the success and large player base maybe they'll shift the vision.

But currently it feels like HD1, where we're not succeeding missions and don't really understand why.
Then after experimenting we find a strategy that work.

Last edited:

Schmendrick

If you are going guns blazing, levels 8-9 should be incredibly difficult, with more likely to fail than succeed, imo. HD2 has really solid stealth mechanics that few players properly utilize, let alone entire teams. I don't like the idea that the toughest missions can be completed with randoms with no communication, which is what the game was like before the patch
Kinda sounds like you are playing the wrong game.
This one would probably be more up your alley:
6f48-gtfo.jpeg

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Had a game last night where an insanely damage spongy Bile Titan spawned. Took us 10x as long to kill than the usual ones. Also the game is crashing more on PS5 after the latest patch.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
You really think it helps to rant in here about your OP weapons being taken away?

If you leave, nobody will care. Especially not when the content drop hits.
It's a gaming forum dude? So I'm talking about the game I play that's it.

It didn't break the game ffs
This tell me you must not play 8+. Dealing with 6 Chargers with the flamethrower is IMPOSSSIBLE. You're gonna kill your teammates, or a Charger will get you, or one of them is gonne put you on fire and you'll die. Then you add a few Titan and it's even more unfun because you have NO WEAPONS to take them out.
"rely on your stratagem" is bullshit, again if you play 8+ you know it. It can help to take a few out but at the end those cooldown are too big to rely on them (also the Railgun IS a stratagem so they said I should use stratagem BUT not the one I want right?)

Please tell me since you are so smart:

Oh. They broke the current meta?

Donald Glover Reaction GIF
That is exactly what people don't understand: they did not ruin the meta, they just nerfed the Railgun so much it's just useless now. Shield is still ok (never was a big fan personally).

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
It's a gaming forum dude? So I'm talking about the game I play that's it.

This tell me you must not play 8+. Dealing with 6 Chargers with the flamethrower is IMPOSSSIBLE. You're gonna kill your teammates, or a Charger will get you, or one of them is gonne put you on fire and you'll die. Then you add a few Titan and it's even more unfun because you have NO WEAPONS to take them out.
"rely on your stratagem" is bullshit, again if you play 8+ you know it. It can help to take a few out but at the end those cooldown are too big to rely on them (also the Railgun IS a stratagem so they said I should use stratagem BUT not the one I want right?)

Please tell me since you are so smart:

That is exactly what people don't understand: they did not ruin the meta, they just nerfed the Railgun so much it's just useless now. Shield is still ok (never was a big fan personally).

So they ruined your experience by killing one weapon?

Top Bottom