• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 |OT| Another bug infested game

Killjoy-NL

I'm running 7 and 8. Anyway if it was very difficult to use the Railgun (and I agree since you have pretty much to stand still) why nerf it THAT MUCH in the first place? It's stupid design. Did you ever did a level 8 mission with 3 Titant and a swarm of charger? I swear you can't deal with them unless you have a lot of luck/stratagem ready at this time (and even then it wont be enough).

I'm always moving, staying in the same spot for more than 1 minute is a sign of a coming death. But sometimes you need to stay at the objective (also that 4 minutes extraction is a joke really).
Didn't they leave the unsafe mode untouched?

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Didn't they leave the unsafe mode untouched?
As I said earlier, they touched it:
4 to 5 hits MINIMUM in unsafe mod unless you charge it at 95%+ but this is way too risky since the frametime between 95+% and instant death is too small. Especially wen you need 4 hits per charger just to show a weak spot

Again, it happened we killed the charger before the armor was even out. How stupid design is this? They should have nerfed the Railgun at 3 shots to weak point in Safe mode and left untouched the Unsafe mode IMO.
And then up the other weapons and backpack so they can compete with it. Btw the jetpack is a joke.

So you criticize/make fun of me but your are not actually reading what I wrote?

Edit: also I suggest EVERYONE to read the description of the Railgun, which is used TO TAKE OUT ARMOR PART. Now it's just completely useless.

Last edited:

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Console players,

Anyone else prefer the visuals without anti aliasing? The update made the toggle work (also tweaking sharpness to you liking).

Varteras

Gold Member
I'm running 7 and 8. Anyway if it was very difficult to use the Railgun (and I agree since you have pretty much to stand still) why nerf it THAT MUCH in the first place? It's stupid design. Did you ever did a level 8 mission with 3 Titant and a swarm of charger? I swear you can't deal with them unless you have a lot of luck/stratagem ready at this time (and even then it wont be enough).

I'm always moving, staying in the same spot for more than 1 minute is a sign of a coming death. But sometimes you need to stay at the objective (also that 4 minutes extraction is a joke really).
Buddy, the situations we've been in, we needed divine fucking intervention. Even with two of us running railguns. Like, we needed God to step in and trip a charger for us. We've seen some shit. At all levels. Hell, we even ran a 4 where I swear Joel himself went after us. Because we got constantly surrounded and swarmed. Breach after breach. Including chargers. It got so bad we finally decided to leave the area because we spent 7 solid minutes fighting for our lives. "I just slapped its ass until it couldn't take anymore". That's pretty much our group motto.

The railgun nerf was probably too much but I can see them wanting people to try other weapons. Like the flamethrower. Does it suck to getting so used to an answer and now that answer is wrong? Absolutely. But I also think it's fun to have to learn new and different ways to deal with things. I'm sure that if they see things going South for too long at high levels, they'll adjust. But we are getting mechs very soon. I'd imagine those will become a new favorite answer to those assholes that always try to trample me while my squad laughs.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Buddy, the situations we've been in, we needed divine fucking intervention. Even with two of us running railguns. Like, we needed God to step in and trip a charger for us. We've seen some shit. At all levels. Hell, we even ran a 4 where I swear Joel himself went after us. Because we got constantly surrounded and swarmed. Breach after breach. Including chargers. It got so bad we finally decided to leave the area because we spent 7 solid minutes fighting for our lives. "I just slapped its ass until it couldn't take anymore". That's pretty much our group motto.
Yeah when I'm playing alone I go to lower levels for a few games like 4 or 5 to help out people and indeed sometimes you just like: wadafuk Joel?!?

The railgun nerf was probably too much but I can see them wanting people to try other weapons. Like the flamethrower. Does it suck to getting so used to an answer and now that answer is wrong? Absolutely. But I also think it's fun to have to learn new and different ways to deal with things. I'm sure that if they see things going South for too long at high levels, they'll adjust. But we are getting mechs very soon. I'd imagine those will become a new favorite answer to those assholes that always try to trample me while my squad laughs.
While I 100% agree, the nerf is indeed too much especially for a weapon designed to take out armor. Put their health damage to zero or I don't know but we need something to efficiently take out armor. I though it was pretty good as it was (minus a small nerf) as you need to stand still, so you are an easy prey while charging but the counterpart was heavy damage to the armor. A fair trade IMO.
Railgun to take out armor then quick switch to our primary weapon while dodging those hunters was really fun and stressful. I like the Railgun, shooting at that tree 500 meters away is nice, but I would love to test out other things too (flamethrower is not my thing tho, in any game) but currently there is no viable option. Arc is not reliable enough and you still need a lot of shots to take out 1 charger.

Varteras

Gold Member
Yeah when I'm playing alone I go to lower levels for a few games like 4 or 5 to help out people and indeed sometimes you just like: wadafuk Joel?!?

While I 100% agree, the nerf is indeed too much especially for a weapon designed to take out armor. Put their health damage to zero or I don't know but we need something to efficiently take out armor. I though it was pretty good as it was (minus a small nerf) as you need to stand still, so you are an easy prey while charging but the counterpart was heavy damage to the armor. A fair trade IMO.
Railgun to take out armor then quick switch to our primary weapon while dodging those hunters was really fun and stressful. I like the Railgun, shooting at that tree 500 meters away is nice, but I would love to test out other things too (flamethrower is not my thing tho, in any game) but currently there is no viable option. Arc is not reliable enough and you still need a lot of shots to take out 1 charger.
I apologize for giving you shit earlier and I'm glad we were able to just talk normally about it. I'd keep going with this conversation but I have to head out for work. I hope you find a new way that helps you kill those bastards and the game keeps being fun for you.

Killjoy-NL

As I said earlier, they touched it:

Again, it happened we killed the charger before the armor was even out. How stupid design is this? They should have nerfed the Railgun at 3 shots to weak point in Safe mode and left untouched the Unsafe mode IMO.
And then up the other weapons and backpack so they can compete with it. Btw the jetpack is a joke.

So you criticize/make fun of me but your are not actually reading what I wrote?

Edit: also I suggest EVERYONE to read the description of the Railgun, which is used TO TAKE OUT ARMOR PART. Now it's just completely useless.
You're whole point becomes kinda null when it's stated: "unless you charge it to 95%".

That's the whole point of Unsafe Mode.

Being able to one-shot a Bile Titan was bad.
I don't think the intention of creating such a large and dangerous enemy was for the enemy to go "lol" and charge straight towards him, one-shotting him like it's a walk in the park.

And this has nothing to do with me 'being an ass'.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I apologize for giving you shit earlier and I'm glad we were able to just talk normally about it. I'd keep going with this conversation but I have to head out for work. I hope you find a new way that helps you kill those bastards and the game keeps being fun for you.
Thanks for this, I really appreciate it. I'm gonna keep playing, just level 7 for now and I'm gonna try those new weapons too. I still have a lot of fun and I'm sure future patch will be better. I also give huge respect to the dev on how they are managing Super Credit. I have 2500+ and I already bough the premium pass without spending a single Euro so that's a very good point. For Democracy!

You're whole point becomes kinda null when it's stated: "unless you charge it to 95%".

That's the whole point of Unsafe Mode.
Except the gap between doing actual damages and killing yourself is too tight, you get to it by pur luck and it's not worth it when you have 6+ charger.

Being able to one-shot a Bile Titan was bad.
I don't think the intention of creating such a large and dangerous enemy was for the enemy to go "lol" and charge straight towards him, one-shotting him like it's a walk in the park.
I agree, I don't want to one shot Titan (see what I said before, reduce the Railgun direct HP damages to zero for example) but we need stuffs to take out armor. Which, by it's description, is exactly what the Railgun is used for. But now it's comically bad for real, anyone who tested it against a charger should confirm. And fighting a Titan was never a walk in the park (for me at least, it's always a "oh shit" moment), it's just that sometimes it felt like you hit a very weak spot in its mouth allowing you to one shot it. That was a bug apparently so that's fair to correct it. But the nerf is still way too big.

Killjoy-NL

Thanks for this, I really appreciate it. I'm gonna keep playing, just level 7 for now and I'm gonna try those new weapons too. I still have a lot of fun and I'm sure future patch will be better. I also give huge respect to the dev on how they are managing Super Credit. I have 2500+ and I already bough the premium pass without spending a single Euro so that's a very good point. For Democracy!

Except the gap between doing actual damages and killing yourself is too tight, you get to it by pur luck and it's not worth it when you have 6+ charger.
Maybe you should focus on the chargers first?
Railcannon already is an insta-kill. Charger leg-armor can still be removed with 3 shots of the railgun, I believe?

It didn't make it that much harder. But maybe I'd have to play a few more matches (FFVII is kinda eating up playtime).
I agree, I don't want to one shot Titan (see what I said before, reduce the Railgun direct HP damages to zero for example) but we need stuffs to take out armor. Which, by it's description, is exactly what the Railgun is used for. But now it's comically bad for real, anyone who tested it against a charger should confirm. And fighting a Titan was never a walk in the park (for me at least, it's always a "oh shit" moment), it's just that sometimes it felt like you hit a very weak spot in its mouth allowing you to one shot it. That was a bug apparently so that's fair to correct it. But the nerf is still way too big.
I dunno. To me, it actually seems like the game is a bit more balanced.

First impression though. As I said, I need to play a couple more matches.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Maybe you should focus on the chargers first?
Railcannon already is an insta-kill. Charger leg-armor can still be removed with 3 shots of the railgun, I believe?

It didn't make it that much harder. But maybe I'd have to play a few more matches (FFVII is kinda eating up playtime).
Well maybe you should play more before coming at me like you did? Because it's 4 hits minimum and even then as I already told you, you will kill the chargers before cutting his armor because you are dealing more damage to his health. How is that logical?
I swear the Railgun is just completely useless. Period. What do you think, of course I'm focusing on the chargers as soon as I can but now it's just useless. The only ok-use now is shotting the tree at 500 meters, that's it.
Great balance patch indeed that made the anti-armor weapon useless against armor.

I dunno. To me, it actually seems like the game is a bit more balanced.

First impression though. As I said, I need to play a couple more matches.
Well go level 8+ with a Railgun, and good luck :messenger_grinning_sweat: But dev said rely on stratagem (which the Railgun is but... whatever) even when those ridiculous cooldown are amplified by even more ridiculous modifier.
The other weapons needed a buff, but it's a lot more work than just lowering what is good since there is more than 50 stats to each weapon. So they choose the easy solution. We need to stand up to this so it does not end up like 95% of other games when everything is just boring and weak.

I want to spread Controlled Democracy through the corpses of the enemies of the Super Earth, not by running around like a coward waiting for my stratagem to refill.

Kings Field

My friends and I will just go lobby hopping and team kill on sight. We’ve done it on Friday the 13th for 7 years for fun, we will do it here.

Fuck your democracy and fuck the rail gun.

It’s all about a bugs life now muthafuckas.

crazy-lady-im-trying-to-help-you.gif

Killjoy-NL

Well maybe you should play more before coming at me like you did?
I've played the game for 92 hours so far. I don't need 10 more hours with the new patch before I can comment on how my favorite weapon(s) got affected.

Also, I didn't 'come at you' in a certain way. You actually came at me after I made a general comment about the drama being petty and that I stand behind the dev.

Because it's 4 hits minimum and even then as I already told you, you will kill the chargers before cutting his armor because you are dealing more damage to his health. How is that logical?
I swear the Railgun is just completely useless. Period. What do you think, of course I'm focusing on the chargers as soon as I can but now it's just useless. The only ok-use now is shotting the tree at 500 meters, that's it.
Great balance patch indeed that made the anti-armor weapon useless against armor.
Just took the effort to check it out.
At Suicide difficulty, got lucky that a Charger got stuck on a rock.

Took 2 near-full charges with the Railgun in Unsafe Mode to completely remove leg-armor.
So, it's practically the same as it was.
Well go level 8+ with a Railgun, and good luck :messenger_grinning_sweat: But dev said rely on stratagem (which the Railgun is but... whatever) even when those ridiculous cooldown are amplified by even more ridiculous modifier.
The other weapons needed a buff, but it's a lot more work than just lowering what is good since there is more than 50 stats to each weapon. So they choose the easy solution. We need to stand up to this so it does not end up like 95% of other games when everything is just boring and weak.

I want to spread Controlled Democracy through the corpses of the enemies of the Super Earth, not by running around like a coward waiting for my stratagem to refill.
Again, maybe just lower your difficulty to 7.
You still get the same materials, it just might take you a bit longer to farm mats.

I don't even mean it as an insult or whatever, but ultimately it's up to you.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I've played the game for 92 hours so far. I don't need 10 more hours with the new patch before I can comment on how my favorite weapon(s) got affected.
I'm at 101 hours. Are we playing who's got the bigger e-penis? And yes, apparently you need to try it out because you are voicing your opinion without knowing what you are talking about. Funny but not surprising based on your previous comments.

Also, I didn't 'come at you' in a certain way. You actually came at me after I made a general comment about the drama being petty and that I stand behind the dev.
Fair enough, I disagree but whatever.

Just took the effort to check it out.
At Suicide difficulty, got lucky that a Charger got stuck on a rock.

Took 2 near-full charges with the Railgun in Unsafe Mode to completely remove leg-armor.
So, it's practically the same as it was.
It's not, show me a proof. Anything. And even then you've got damn lucky as unsafe is too risky with it's timeframe to two hits the leg and use it efficiently. Also good you killed one charger, how are you gonna deal with the 6 other and the 3 Titan.

Again, maybe just lower your difficulty to 7.
You still get the same materials, it just might take you a bit longer to farm mats.

I don't even mean it as an insult or whatever, but ultimately it's up to you.
I already maxed everything except Hellpod direction but I just need green samples. I played 8 or 9 because it was really fun. Now as I said it's just run like a coward and wait for your stratagem to refill.
I'm playing 7, like I said now I really don't see the point to play at higher difficulties it's just not fun.

Killjoy-NL

I'm at 101 hours. Are we playing who's got the bigger e-penis? And yes, apparently you need to try it out because you are voicing your opinion without knowing what you are talking about. Funny but not surprising based on your previous comments.
It's not about who played more hours, it was me pointing out that I've played the game enough to know what I'm saying.

Fair enough, I disagree but whatever.
There is nothing to disagree with, it's literally what happened, because I didn't reply to you until you quoted me.
It's not, show me a proof. Anything. And even then you've got damn lucky as unsafe is too risky with it's timeframe to two hits the leg and use it efficiently. Also good you killed one charger, how are you gonna deal with the 6 other and the 3 Titan.
I don't have to prove anything. Even when I took the effort to boot up the game and check it out, you just completely dismiss it because it didn't line up with your meltdown?

I don't give two shits if you believe it or not. Not going to bother checking it out at your request a second time.

I'm too old to be lying on a gaming forums, but if you like to think I do, be my guest.
I already maxed everything except Hellpod direction but I just need green samples. I played 8 or 9 because it was really fun. Now as I said it's just run like a coward and wait for your stratagem to refill.
I'm playing 7, like I said now I really don't see the point to play at higher difficulties it's just not fun.
If 7 is fine, then what's the big deal?

I've been trying to be polite, but you'd rather continue your meltdown.

So I'll just leave it as is. Better luck next balancing patch.

Killjoy-NL

Apparently not, they reduced the power for armoured parts.
As I said in my post above, I went to check it out and a Charger got stuck on a rock.

Gave me the chance to test unsafe railgun and you can remove leg armor with 2 shots.

So I wonder if they really altered it.

Spyxos

Gold Member
I tried on Helldive against robots, how are you supposed to play this? Whole team was wiped in 5 minutes or so.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Once again, it seems they don't learn from their mistakes. I think most of us don't want simpler enemies or fewer spawns (even if right now it's a bit too much), but more effective ways to spread democracy:

I tried on Helldive against robots, how are you supposed to play this? Whole team was wiped in 5 minutes or so.
image.png

GymWolf

Gold Member
As I said in my post above, I went to check it out and a Charger got stuck on a rock.

Gave me the chance to test unsafe railgun and you can remove leg armor with 2 shots.

So I wonder if they really altered it.
It sound random for now, you say 2 hits, some youtubers say 3 hits, some says 4 to 5 hits, i'm pretty sure the chargers are kinda bugged like the bile titans.

RyanEvans21

Loadout and Team levels?

I like the new update for me! Difficult 9 so easy with railgun & shield (Most people used it! Including me). Plus we getting mech next week?

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Once again, it seems they don't learn from their mistakes. I think most of us don't want simpler enemies or fewer spawns (even if right now it's a bit too much), but more effective ways to spread democracy:

I think that's the best solution: not make the Railgun OP, but make the armored enemies easier to take down.

It'd enable players to use more weapons as they'll still be able to take them down -- especially if the spawn/crowd rate is also tweaked properly. Previously, it was mostly "Railgun or bust". But this will make the game much more balanced without an over-reliance on the Railgun.

Aaaand ANOTHER in-game crash after being in-mission for 25 minutes, this is completely unacceptable lads, i swear, it wasn't like this 1 week ago, I'm lucky if I manage to finish even 1 mission today...

This shit started about 2 days ago - maybe the patch fooked something or is it just server overload ?

F' this shit, I hate wasting my time

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I think that's the best solution: not make the Railgun OP, but make the armored enemies easier to take down.

It'd enable players to use more weapons as they'll still be able to take them down -- especially if the spawn/crowd rate is also tweaked properly. Previously, it was mostly "Railgun or bust". But this will make the game much more balanced without an over-reliance on the Railgun.
I hope you're right, I'm afraid that by doing this they'll end up making all the enemies feel mostly the same. Wait and see, I guess.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Did anyone get the reward for liberating Heeth/Angel's Venture? I didn't get shit.

So either a bug or... It was at 100% for 2 days, unless we lost a fraction right before the end, I was in about 1 hour before it ended at 100%

Hot5pur

Nooo railgun
Im pretty sure I was able to 3shot a charger in the face without breaking any armor before...so now it's 4? I can live with that

Sounds like the devs let the success go to their heads, they need to be more humble. At the same time, they've likely been dealing with a lot of toxicity and working overtime to get things stable, so I can see how their emotions could get the better of them.

Sometimes we forget we are human beings, the Internet was kind of a mistake on many ways lol

Spyxos

Gold Member
Loadout and Team levels?

I like the new update for me! Difficult 9 so easy with railgun & shield (Most people used it! Including me). Plus we getting mech next week?
Breaker, Shield, Grenadelauncher, and 50kg bomb and Laser. I am lvl 36, my teammates where lvl 30-40.

Meteor shower fucked me hard jeez

Crashing Down Crash Landing GIF by Assassin's Creed's Creed
I enjoy the meteor shower mid-game, when you are running from objective to objective. But I just had one after calling for extraction that wiped 3 of my squad, including myself. It was straight bullshit. We ended up failing to extract

Also, just FYI, meteors can land in the same spot twice. I thought I was being smart, but no, got smashed

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
At least they realized that they were completely overdoing it. I'd still rather have more weapons I could use, but well, that's a start.

All these videos I see of people saying the Flamethower and Laser canoon is good now are deceptive as hell. All of them are testing that shit out on bugs. I brought the laser cannon into a lvl 8 automation and that shit sucks ass. It might be good for the low hp foot soldiers, but once juggernauts or tanks shows up that shit is as good as useless. I'm pretty sure a flamethrower is just as useless on automations. A rail gun can still drop a juggernauts/tanks in 2-3 hits or less. And even than I don't think a flamethrower will be good with bugs when you have 5 chargers showing up.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Lmao played some level 5 difficulty to help a friend leveling up and learn the game and this is what happened:

553850_20240307230815_1.png

7 chargers, 2 of them are behind me. 5 minutes in, just arriving on the objective. That shit is ridiculous.

But hey let's run to the next objective, nothing bad can happen now right? Right?!

553850_20240307232637_1.png

Bugged civilian. Perfect. This patch is so bad it also deteriorated stability.

GymWolf

Gold Member
All these videos I see of people saying the Flamethower and Laser canoon is good now are deceptive as hell. All of them are testing that shit out on bugs. I brought the laser cannon into a lvl 8 automation and that shit sucks ass. It might be good for the low hp foot soldiers, but once juggernauts or tanks shows up that shit is as good as useless. I'm pretty sure a flamethrower is just as useless on automations. A rail gun can still drop a juggernauts/tanks in 2-3 hits or less. And even than I don't think a flamethrower will be good with bugs when you have 5 chargers showing up.
The laser cannon is a beast against bots, you just have to aim for the face\eyes, it destroy the hulks in like 3-4 sec.

It just require very good aim.

I still prefer the arc thrower, the laser is kinda boring to use.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Gonna get ps5 version this weekend. Pc on launch kept crashing near end of missions and I’m hoping this changes that at least. I’ll take a blurry performance mode without crashes if I have to.

Schmendrick

after running a few games with the new patch on impossible and helldive:

The railgun has become completely useless vs armor, which it`s supposed to be the go to weapon against and the dmg seems downright random at the seemingly same overload levels. It takes from 2 to !6! shots to a chargers leg to kill it, yes kill, because oftentimes the armor stays on after being shot repeatedly by the supposedly armor breaking railgun. It also basically does nothing vs bile titans anymore or at least the dmg is just as random as vs chargers. This doesn´t just feel nerfed it feels heavily bugged as it`s extremely inconsistent for no apparent reason.
This wouldn`t even be such an issue if the other anti armor weapons would have been fixed by now, like the spear which still has major lock-on-issues. This patch changed large potions of the higher difficulties where a lot of heavies spawn from "run & gun" to "run & wait for cooldowns".......
The new environmental hazards are pretty much crap too imho: here you go, random death for no reason other than bad luck.
And it seems like they fucked up hitboxes and health pools or at least made them more prone to bugs as in my last game a bile titan spawned that just ate a 500kg bomb right to his face and then just continued stomping everything for a good 2-3 minutes with 4 people shooting at it with a grenade launcher, a railgun, a flamethrower and an arc thrower.

By far the worst that came with this patch however are the crashes. 3 out of 5 times the game crashed to desktop for me right before extraction, this happened in the past, too, but it was very rare.

For me this patch just kicked the game down to beta-test feeling level......

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Pretty damn cool that access to Mechs require the liberation of a planet, it's in keeping with the spirit of the game, these devs get it 👌
That's exactly what my idea was as well.

"There's a planet we need to liberate so our factories can start producing [X items]. The items will become available whenever you guys liberate that planet and complete that particular [unique / huge] objective."

And that planet could be behind a couple of other planets, so the entire region could be targeted by Joel/GM.

As cool and fun as this looks, the stratagem will get called in where the ball first landed. :p

Also, yeah rail gun was nerfed but it's still ok I guess, I am using the Auto cannon anyway, can still two shot Chargers after they charged and you shoot the back leg (bug or something lol).

Another thing guys, lvl 5 difficulty is broken I believe, I mostly play difficulty 7, like that is our main difficulty with my friends but when playing 5, it's worse than Helldive which I also did a lot. Something is wrong on that difficulty, constant breaches, you just can't stay in a spot for 5 seconds, it's weird. No breathing room. Pretty sure that is some kind of bug as well.

Edit: Forgot to mention, they fucked up the Armor imo, even with medium armor you get hit twice by little shits and die, something's fucky. Do not like.
That is more annoying than the rail gun nerf.

Last edited:
Top Bottom