• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West |OT| Red Head Redemption - II -

STARSBarry

Gold Member
God I'm just not enjoying this as much as I did the first game, I feel like I'm playing an Ubisoft knock off right now in many ways, especially the jank.

I also had my head in my hands when they had the big reveal with the new group... God what have they done with the series, why do people feel the need to consistantly jump the shark in every media franchise now?

I'm putting it down for tonight, give it anouther go later this week, but its certainly not a "I can't stop playing this" kind of game.

Woggleman

I would never buy a game I didn't enjoy playing just because it looked good. If you didn't like the first one then you won't like this one and there is nothing wrong with that. I am not a fan of souls like games or Fromsoft games but I don't expect Elden Ring to cater to me. If they changed it too much fans of the first might not be happy.

Spaceman292

Banned
Ashley Burch is really underrated as a game actor person or whatever. If I had Jeff Bezos money I'd hire her to follow me around and narrate my life.
I dunno I love the game but she sounds totally bored and montone the entire time. She literally learns how to fly and she's just like

'uh....I guess that works....'

cormack12

Gold Member
Rb8s3Ow.jpg

No it's actually really good because the same logic is applied in inside areas, it makes you have to look around in order to climb shit just like you would in real life. All that Botw nonsense should just gtfo, there's only real free climbing if you upgrade the stamina fully at least 3 times / grab the outfit and it's entirely unplayable whenever it rains until you figure out why. Fucking AWFUL system. In forbidden west you just have to be observant which is more in line

There's a lot of paths going nowhere and it's lovely

No thanks. This is PS2-PS3 linear and boring platforming and controls.

It’s horrid. Most reviews pointed it out too. The general consensus is that it is improved over the first but not good.

This game is jack of all trades and master of none to be honest. Graphics is the only industry leading thing here. Everything else is a blender of every other game and none of it is exemplary.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Why is there this weird beep sound when in the environment? I turned off that Tinnitus sounds or whatever the hell it's called and im still getting this beeping sound every several sounds. It's annoying as fuck. Does anyone know what it is and if it can be turned off? Thanks.

I’m only in the first part and everyone is saying it gets better, but rn I’m a slightly bummed about the graphics for some reason - it may be just my eyesight (I have astigmatism) but the game doesn’t look as great as I thought it would so far from the videos - like when it jumps to cutscenes it’s a noticeable difference. Maybe I need to sit closer to the screen?

Also maybe it’s just been as the years have gone by more games have been released but the climbing/verticality feels very clunky for me coming off of stuff like halo infinite where you just grapple wherever - I’m sure I’ll get used to it. Just makes it feel slightly more contained than it is. I’m still in the very first section tho - the movement in general feels a little clunky to me currently. Probably just have to get used to it

Yes absolutely. The world feels so small yet it is so big as you are so restricted in exploring it. I feel like I’m in a linear path always despite being in an open world.

Ulysses 31

Yes absolutely. The world feels so small yet it is so big as you are so restricted in exploring it. I feel like I’m in a linear path always despite being in an open world.
Yeah I don't put much stock in people praising a new AAA game so early on in its honeymoon phase, the much more interesting opinions (IMO) will be from those who've played through the game at least once. :lollipop_winking:

Reactions: CZY
I’m loving the game but there’s definitely a bit of jank. When climbing on things or running over uneven terrain she’s kind of snapping to things, or jumps strangely. Also many inventory items are straight up glitching out and flickering. Also the cursor for way points is also constantly moving and it’s really glitchy looking, I know markers did this in the first horizon, but it just looks way more janky here.

And something about the overall look of the game, it doesn’t look bad by any means, it’s graphically impressive, but there’s something that just feels off. I’m actually reinstalling horizon 1 now because it keeps bothering me and I have to compare them on my own TV.

All that said, I’m happy to have more Horizon. Cool setting and world, and this adventure seems like it’s definitely going to be epic. Hopefully they will continue to patch and improve the game in the coming weeks.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
God I'm just not enjoying this as much as I did the first game, I feel like I'm playing an Ubisoft knock off right now in many ways, especially the jank.

I also had my head in my hands when they had the big reveal with the new group... God what have they done with the series, why do people feel the need to consistantly jump the shark in every media franchise now?

I'm putting it down for tonight, give it anouther go later this week, but its certainly not a "I can't stop playing this" kind of game.
This is how I feel as well. I think that mission in particular is really bad. So many missed jumps and janky controls. It felt like I was playing KZSF for a second. A game made by the B team over at GG. That said, I personally like the new group. I called it when I first saw the ending of the first game. They definitely hinted at them. It could be good but the introduction was really bad.

No thanks. This is PS2-PS3 linear and boring platforming and controls.

It’s horrid. Most reviews pointed it out too. The general consensus is that it is improved over the first but not good.

There is definitely something off here. I did not mind the climbing in the first game, but this feels really bad. It's unresponsive and she misses jumps half the time. It's not a big deal in the open world but indoors my goodness.

Just let us climb everything like in the latest AC games. This shouldnt be that hard.

I’m loving the game but there’s definitely a bit of jank. When climbing on things or running over uneven terrain she’s kind of snapping to things, or jumps strangely. Also many inventory items are straight up glitching out and flickering. Also the cursor for way points is also constantly moving and it’s really glitchy looking, I know markers did this in the first horizon, but it just looks way more janky here.

And something about the overall look of the game, it doesn’t look bad by any means, it’s graphically impressive, but there’s something that just feels off. I’m actually reinstalling horizon 1 now because it keeps bothering me and I have to compare them on my own TV.
The jank makes it feel like a euro jank game like Dying Light, Metro and other polish games. I dont know how it ended up like this because the first game was really polished and this shouldve been better in every way.

I am also not a fan of the graphics. Had to switch from 30 fps to 60 fps this morning because 30 fps didnt feel smooth at all. It's jerky and stuttery and turning off motion blur and cmaera sensitivity didnt help. Again, i dont remember horizon 1 being like this. If anything, the 60 fps mode also feels laggy. It definitely isnt as smooth as the 60 fps mode of horizon i played last month on PC.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I'm enjoying this way more than the first. The missions are way more interesting thanks to the strength of the characters. The combat and controls are massively improved thanks to the wealth of new abilities and the Dual Sense controller + Gyro aiming. The first game was a 9/10 for me, but this is basically a 10. The map is littered with cool areas to explore and interesting loot to obtain. The progression and upgrade system is well thought out and gives you a true reason to explore. Best open world since BOTW for me.

Haven't had any issues with the platforming controls - they feel just like an uncharted game. Scan the environment, start jumping, it's really not complicated folks.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I'm enjoying this way more than the first. The missions are way more interesting thanks to the strength of the characters. The combat and controls are massively improved thanks to the wealth of new abilities and the Dual Sense controller + Gyro aiming. The first game was a 9/10 for me, but this is basically a 10. The map is littered with cool areas to explore and interesting loot to obtain. The progression and upgrade system is well thought out and gives you a true reason to explore. Best open world since BOTW for me.

Haven't had any issues with the platforming controls - they feel just like an uncharted game. Scan the environment, start jumping, it's really not complicated folks.
lol you will see what we are talking about when you get to that mission. it was infurirating.

sncvsrtoip

Probably best looking open world game, with superb character models not only for main character but also npc, animal models, robots, amazing animations for npc dialogs, usually very good textures, dense foliage and details, very good water, clouds, sky, good draw distance - generally almost all elements nailed. But found also some things to improvement. Firstly disappointing perf mode, even tough in horizon 1 cb was one of the best here for some reasons just doesn't work and lack of 40fps mode is painful. Even tough I wrote earlier majority of textures are very good quality some are still ps4 era (notice this on doors), some shimmering near Alloy hairs caused probably by motion blur + hero light, sometimes during dialog character has strange/dead eye looks, missing eye contact. On some plants sometimes no interactivity where same plant in other place has interactivity (probably bug). And in one of cutscene there was problem with popup/loading assets. Btw didnt like 1st very much but realy enjoy forbiden west.

Last edited:

T-Cake

Has anyone worked out what area in the USA the game is now in? Is The Daunt supposed to be Zion National Park?

And has anyone found any "real world" datapoints where they show you what the location you are in used to look like (in our time)? I loved those little things in HZD.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Just got to the Embassy encounter. Think I encountered a bug which soured it, was unable to craft arrows for my main bow for some reason - and who the fuck thought it was a good idea to try and focus scan the guy as he's attacking you Some shady decisions there.

Aside from that I'm done with The Daunt so far and I've enjoyed. The voice acting, quests are top notch - Favash, just wow. The main storyline is so much clearer and more compelling than ZD. The whole Carja ensemble and rebellions and bandits were confusing to me. The gameplay is 100 times better, and the new weapons are great.

Also thought this was cool, I crouched up the plank and Aloy went into a clamber animation

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Enjoying the game so far. My only complaints are the bugs and the pop-in issues.

Bugs I've encountered

- I died during a boss fight and as soon as I reloaded the save file, the boss wouldn't move no matter how many times I restarted the save file.
- The Charger cannot go down or up certain slopes.
- There have been 3 times where character NPC models wouldn't fully load.

Last edited:
This is how I feel as well. I think that mission in particular is really bad. So many missed jumps and janky controls. It felt like I was playing KZSF for a second. A game made by the B team over at GG. That said, I personally like the new group. I called it when I first saw the ending of the first game. They definitely hinted at them. It could be good but the introduction was really bad.

There is definitely something off here. I did not mind the climbing in the first game, but this feels really bad. It's unresponsive and she misses jumps half the time. It's not a big deal in the open world but indoors my goodness.

Just let us climb everything like in the latest AC games. This shouldnt be that hard.

The jank makes it feel like a euro jank game like Dying Light, Metro and other polish games. I dont know how it ended up like this because the first game was really polished and this shouldve been better in every way.

I am also not a fan of the graphics. Had to switch from 30 fps to 60 fps this morning because 30 fps didnt feel smooth at all. It's jerky and stuttery and turning off motion blur and cmaera sensitivity didnt help. Again, i dont remember horizon 1 being like this. If anything, the 60 fps mode also feels laggy. It definitely isnt as smooth as the 60 fps mode of horizon i played last month on PC.
I unfortunately echo what you’re saying for me currently - but it’s still early. Hoping I’ll get more into it - maybe it’s that games have advanced since the first but the movement and climbing has felt super off for me - also the graphics in the first game almost seemed “cleaner” in a way? I mean the animations and models are great and way better but I dunno.

GHG

Screw you, NeoGaf. You convinced me to purchase it. I didn't really like the first one. I hope this one will be worth it, even if only for visuals.

nYXkO0F.jpg

I'm in the same boat. Was going to wait until after Elden Ring because while I enjoyed the first game it didn't blow me away throughout the experience, but I just said fuck it, why not.

The first tallneck..

Getting the satellite to align, climbing it, gliding off of it and the main theme plays. So good.
I j
I just climed this as my first Tallneck in the game. I was worried when I glided down that I was going to miss the head but then managed to land on one of the neck fin things. Now I have what looks like 1/6 of the map revealed. So I'm guessing there will be 6 tallnecks maybe.

I just got done messing around with horizon 1 and my TV settings. H1 still looks amazing, also helped by the fact that it has the PS5 upgrade to 60fps, and changing some settings in the TV did make the shimmer and grainy look in H2 look better and not as jarring. Also slowing down the camera movement in the settings helps with camera smoothness if you’re playing in 30fps mode. Still crazy to me that H1 looks so good, kind of takes some of the impact of H2 away imo. H2 looks better, no doubt, but not by much.

Aloy's Mustache

Or rather Aloy likes to say My Stash.
The inventory is a bit jank in this game. They have a Stash that lets you have unlimited collection anywhere in the game when your bags are full it goes to The Stash.
I just hit get all when looting the fallen machines and stuff. Why do they have a pick individual stuff when you could just sent everything to Mustache.
Mustache is available at any workbench or town I've seen so far.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I need help. I kinda suck. I play on normal and explorer. Doing most of the stuff. Now level 14.
But I still have like 350 health, starting armour, starting bow, no fire or explosion weapons.

Every fight I slow down and shoot away the parts. Sometimes with acid. Not even that I am dying often but …. I feel like I am doing something wrong. Yeah I got tripcaster and that explosive spear fro side quest but nex quest is level 15. I was only 12 and grinded to at least 14…

I will switch to easy soon because every robot fight is annoying. I had the same problem with first game. It’s hard to aim, there are thousand parts on each robot with different weaknesses to tear them off. It’s a bit much in combat.

Edit: oh and every strong or important npc is a woman lol. Fine but feels off balance in a world like this

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
Hey all, really need some help here. I started playing horizon forbidden west, but I'm having a hard time enjoying it right now due to this one issue.

For some reason, when I move the camera around, while in motion the grass looks green as it should. But when I stop the camera from moving and leave it still, everything gets a lot lighter, like a white undertone. If I shake the camera fast, it's seizure inducing almost. Like..... I don't want to go through that on a game.

I tried messing with in game settings, ps5 settings, and my TV settings and nada. However, the one thing I found is that for some odd reason, switching to performance mode either does not do it, or it's much lesser that my eyes can't catch it.

On video 1 below you see me switching to performance mode, and in person I didn't see it happening, even if the phone had catch something

Anyhow, why is this happening? Any possible fix?

Why would changing graphics mode have something to do with this potentially? I was kinda hoping to play this in resolution mode.

But overall, it's really disheartening, I want to be able to enjoy this game. I went back to things like miles morales and cold war, and I don't see anything quite like this. Never seen anything like it until this game

Ps: my TV is the TCL 55R646, I've played all sorts of games here including 120hz games with no issue

That looks almost like an AA issue.
Wait wut? From when ps5 bandwidth is a bottleneck? The only real advantage about the XSX hardware over the ps5, it's the CUs number, not the higher bandwidth lol. Bandwidth it's more a bottleneck on XSX than is it on ps5, it should be more proportionate to the counts of CUs, when it's not at all. And let's not talk about the array setup. The only real "bottleneck" of the ps5 compared the XSX could be the CUs number but it's less meaningful than what appear in the math.
XSX has split memory 10/6. 6GB is on a 192 bit bus at 336 gb/s for use with UI and system stuff. The other 10gb is on a 320 bit bus at 560 gb/s. The PS5 is on a 256 bit bus (like all of the higher end RDNA 2 GPUs) at 448 gb/s. Neither of the consoles have infinity cache. Strangely the series x has a larger bus than any of the other RDNA 2 products, and is even faster (560 vs 512) than the 6800/6800XT/6900XT, but again lacks the infinity cache that AMD relies upon this gen.

The split memory acts more like how a PC acts.

I need help. I kinda suck. I play on normal and explorer. Doing most of the stuff. Now level 14.
But I still have like 350 health, starting armour, starting bow, no fire or explosion weapons.

Every fight I slow down and shoot away the parts. Sometimes with acid. Not even that I am dying often but …. I feel like I am doing something wrong. Yeah I got tripcaster and that explosive spear fro side quest but nex quest is level 15. I was only 12 and grinded to at least 14…

I will switch to easy soon because every robot fight is annoying. I had the same problem with first game. It’s hard to aim, there are thousand parts on each robot with different weaknesses to tear them off. It’s a bit much in combat.

Edit: oh and every strong or important npc is a woman lol. Fine but feels off balance in a world like this
Upgrade Aloy's armor at the workbench in Chain Scrape (the first village in the Forbidden west). Upgrade it a couple times as well as your bow.

Use the freeze on the scrounger and use the poison arrows on those big enemies. Shoot the green coils that makes them explode. Use uo on the d pad after you get hit to keep your health at max otherwise you can get one spotted. Use the slow down time r3 mechanic when shooting arrows.

Top Bottom