• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West |OT| Red Head Redemption - II -

cormack12

Gold Member
Question re: ammo type & weapons
I'm still on green weapons and its pretty annoying having separate weapons for different ammo types (I've 4 different warbows & 2 tripcasters)

Does this improve as I advance through rarities?

You only need the highest rarity per archetype in the last game. But the bow types don't consolidate down, they just get different unlocks.

1 x Hunter Bow
1 x Warrior Bow
1 x Sharpshot Bow
1 x Fire Bow
1 x Tripcaster
1 x Ropecaster
1 x Blastsling
1 x Bolt weapon

And you have six slots to create your quick loadout. You don't have to use/buy every bow if your playstyle doesn't leverage it. For me, usually buying the Sharpshot bow is a waste for example, as I use it very rarely.

And the Ropecaster is infinitely better than the tripcaster for me. But you'll find a lot of this is situational depending what robot your fighting or even bandits. You will be swapping out a bit ultimately.

cormack12

Gold Member
It's a much better game than ZD, but has a lot more jank and technical issues than the first game as well. Clipping, getting stuck in geometry, weird glitches, some of the acid bubble textures, short jumping jank have all been apparent in the first 4 hours so far.

It's not anything worse than The Witcher III like but can understand some reviews picking up on it.

I think its brilliant I have most of my weapon types unlocked early and I'm only waiting on rarity upgrades.

I like how many skills they added this time, and they seem to actually be interesting. Hopefully, I won’t be max level as quickly as in Zero Dawn. I maxed out in ZD about halfway through the game. It made me skip much of the optional late game content.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
51890890398_76c66d19ee_o.png

ahtlas7

Op, best title ever. Haha!

Horizon Best Western, a game of best of’s. Best graphics, Best convoluted story, Best bad acting (Al0y), ... fortunately, it’s fun for the moment.

So it at least shares with Red Dead, great graphics.

assurdum

Banned
Ok I haven't the game but after heard the tons of complaints about the bad IQ in performance mode, I'm expected a blurred mess like The Avengers but really.... what I see in the videos it's the typical IQ with CBR reconstruction with noises and shimmering in subpixels details but isn't it exactly that blasphemy I thought to find. Aren't people start to be too much pretentious for 60 FPS mode on console? Because from my personal experience, performance mode on console is always like this in terms of IQ compromises compared the quality mode, aside when a game primarily targeting 60 FPS as standard.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
It's a much better game than ZD, but has a lot more jank and technical issues than the first game as well. Clipping, getting stuck in geometry, weird glitches, some of the acid bubble textures, short jumping jank have all been apparent in the first 4 hours so far.
This is even more apparent since it stays in stark contrast to all the other highly polished parts of the game.

Salz01

It's not anything worse than The Witcher III like but can understand some reviews picking up on it.

I think its brilliant I have most of my weapon types unlocked early and I'm only waiting on rarity upgrades.
I think, or at least I’m hoping. It will be ironed out via a couple of upcoming patches. I’m sure they were forced to release it now vs waiting a few weeks for more polish.

The climbing in this game is so bad. Some areas you can climb. Some you can’t. For a world so big it feels massively restrictive to explore it. Making it feel small. Unnatural.

After replaying BOTW in November, then grappling everything and everywhere in Halo Infinite in December and just climbing and parkouring everything in Dying Light 2 just these last few weeks…I feel like I’m playing a PS3 game here.

Please overhaul the entire climbing mechanic in Horizon 3. Please. This feels like a crappy Uncharted clone with BOTW style open world climbing added in an extremely poorly done way. I literally got to a mountain where one side had no place to climb at all but the other side had all those yellow lines when pinging. The other side looked no different. It makes no sense.

It’s bad. BAD.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Ashley Burch is really underrated as a game actor person or whatever. If I had Jeff Bezos money I'd hire her to follow me around and narrate my life.

I don't think she's underrated at all. People may not know her name, but they for sure know the characters she plays and can probably easily pick her voice out (other than when she's doing TINY TINA).

Sygma

Just played 2 hours on my C9 in resolution mode with low motion blur. One of the most impressive looking game out there and the HDR is mindblowing in this one. Also this is one of the smoothest 30 fps game with really low input lag, anyone who says the resolution mode is bad... i dunno what you smoking. Ofc it feels bad immediately after you switch from 60 like everything does. The dualsense implementation is awesome, 3D audio sounds really nice and my god the music... Controlling aloy is so good, the climbing also improved a lot, feels so smooth, not to mention the animations, facial capture and VA. This will be one hell of a game

30 fps feels good because the game has perfect frame pacing just like the 1st.

However on an oled removing the motion blur utterly breaks my brain for some reason

Fredrik

Ok I haven't the game but after heard the tons of complaints about the bad IQ in performance mode, I'm expected a blurred mess like The Avengers but really.... what I see in the videos it's the typical IQ with CBR reconstruction with noises and shimmering in subpixels details but isn't it exactly that blasphemy I thought to find. Aren't people start to be too much pretentious for 60 FPS mode on console? Because from my personal experience, performance mode on console is always like this in terms of IQ compromises compared the quality mode, aside when a game primarily targeting 60 FPS as standard.
All I’m gonna say is that I’m so thankful that I have crap eyes and don’t see any graphical issues and can enjoy perfectly smoooooth gameplay with performance mode.
Looks amazing 🥰
GeSa6VB.jpg

The climbing in this game is so bad. Some areas you can climb. Some you can’t. For a world so big it feels massively restrictive to explore it. Making it feel small. Unnatural.

After replaying BOTW in November, then grappling everything and everywhere in Halo Infinite in December and just climbing and parkouring everything in Dying Light 2 just these last few weeks…I feel like I’m playing a PS3 game here.

Please overhaul the entire climbing mechanic in Horizon 3. Please. This feels like a crappy Uncharted clone with BOTW style open world climbing added in an extremely poorly done way. I literally got to a mountain where one side had no place to climb at all but the other side had all those yellow lines when pinging. The other side looked no different. It makes no sense.

It’s bad. BAD.
I think that's a bit of an overreaction

Sygma

It’s bad. BAD.

No it's actually really good because the same logic is applied in inside areas, it makes you have to look around in order to climb shit just like you would in real life. All that Botw nonsense should just gtfo, there's only real free climbing if you upgrade the stamina fully at least 3 times / grab the outfit and it's entirely unplayable whenever it rains until you figure out why. Fucking AWFUL system. In forbidden west you just have to be observant which is more in line

There's a lot of paths going nowhere and it's lovely

Last edited:

Urban

Just bought the PS4 version locally and claimed the PS5 version. Has anyone the Problem too, that the PS5 always shows two "tiles" after you restart your console? Its so annoying

Sygma

What's hgig?
HDR without additional tone mapping from the TV, is in brightness options / hdr

You need to calibrate it properly in the console afterward too. First two screens go all the way to the left and then 12 or 14 clicks to the right (I don't remember, it basically makes the symbol disappear), then at the third screen put it all the way to the left and leave it at that

OrangeSun77

Neo Member
I was reading some opinions about the ending of the game, the story in general, it seems that nobody likes it, they say that the plot is boring, the characters are not interesting and the performances are bland. It is clear that Guerrilla are very good for the graphics and the Decima engine, but they lack in all other areas.

decisions

I was reading some opinions about the ending of the game, the story in general, it seems that nobody likes it, they say that the plot is boring, the characters are not interesting and the performances are bland. It is clear that Guerrilla are very good for the graphics and the Decima engine, but they lack in all other areas.

Felt this way about the first game as well. Not nearly up to par with other 1st-party Sony games, it just looks the part.

Few hours into this and seems the same.

Last edited:

GooseMan69

False.

SCB3

I'll be honest, a few hours in and story withstanding, I'm not really feeling it, it feels weird to play, like it looks fantastic but there is something about the way Aloy moves, its really buggy as well in terms of clipping and climbing,

Perhaps I'm too used to Assassins Creed and BotW like climbing, but there are literal ledges I cannot grab or climb despite being able to jump that height. its little things like that
Ok, perhaps I was a bit too harsh now that the world has opened up, its running and playing a lot better now that I have a few more hours in

Finally getting into it, though I really should've watched a recap, despite playing this twice (PS4 and PC) I can't remember what happened!

Urban

Game Looks really good but the AA is pretty bad in performance mode. Does it have anything to do with motion blur ? Because I always disable motion blur .
I’m playing on a X90H

Had a night an morning with the game and i must first state, as a straight white male, i am beyond offended at all of the filirting and advancements of all men in my path.

All jokes aside this game is great. Its been a little while since i have been able to play and enjoy a game for a lengthy sitting. What i find most impressive thus far is how interesting all of the side stories and content is. It really bolsters the main content and is extremely rewarding.

The detail is insane! Its almost too much detail, my smooth brain cant keep up at times. So often im running through a city and have to stop and look around to marvel. I didn't understand what DF was saying with the YouTube video kills the detail, but i can tell now. I even sometimes get real close to the TV to see if it hold up and sure as hell it does!

Im roughly 6ish hours in and man am i impressed. I didn't even mention gamepaly, ehat a treat!

Last edited:

Brute

I'm going to wait a year or two until I get this in the sales because Elden Ring is out in a few days and it will be the best game ever.

But this looks like HZD with better graphics. I found HZD really dull after a while. Huge open landscapes to traverse but nothing to do. This looks like more of the same? Or is there a lot more to it this time than hunting foxes and boring robot dinosaurs this time round?

I’m only in the first part and everyone is saying it gets better, but rn I’m a slightly bummed about the graphics for some reason - it may be just my eyesight (I have astigmatism) but the game doesn’t look as great as I thought it would so far from the videos - like when it jumps to cutscenes it’s a noticeable difference. Maybe I need to sit closer to the screen?

Also maybe it’s just been as the years have gone by more games have been released but the climbing/verticality feels very clunky for me coming off of stuff like halo infinite where you just grapple wherever - I’m sure I’ll get used to it. Just makes it feel slightly more contained than it is. I’m still in the very first section tho - the movement in general feels a little clunky to me currently. Probably just have to get used to it

Last edited:
Top Bottom