• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West: Review Thread |

Swift_Star

Banned
Nah, it stands out by having distinct looking points of interestest with activities and a reward when you get there.
Most open worlds have points of interests that are only interesting due to being marked on the map or they don't actually have anything when you get there and are only there to look visually interesting.
The rewards are turds, bokoblin camps, another mini dungeon or another small village or camp… what’s rewarding about that?

Lethal01

The game's empty open world makes climbing those boring Ubisoft towers, not boring, somehow, lmao.

The problem with Ubisoft towers was never that climbing them felt terrible, It's that climbing them marks everything on your map... That drastically controls the design and feel of the whole world in-game. It makes it so you can't even let the player wonder what's in a cave because it not only marks it as a quest before you even discover the cave but also tells you what the quest is about.

It sucks all the exploration straight out of it making an already meh open world turn into an absolute dread. Ubisoft and other actual devs already understand this which is why they've been takign steps away from it for years now.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Dude, who cares. The person likes Xbox more. So what. There are going to be reviewers out there who like PlayStation more. Does their bias bother you?

Someone's review score doesn't change the game you're getting.
But it does. Some gamers will like the game more if they know others like it too. And they expect all reviewers to band together and give similar marks as if they are one giant ball of yarn.

It's a video game centric kind of expectation from critics. You dont get this from people reading movie reviews where a movie can be rated high, low or all over the place from the 50 Rotten Tomato recaps. Movie fans dont compare against the site's or author's other reviews.

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
Shitfuck, I kinda forgot that this isn't coming out on PC.

sun GIF

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

Lethal01

The rewards are turds, bokoblin camps, another mini dungeon or another small village or camp… what’s rewarding about that?
Upgrading your inventory, solving some puzzles.... FINDING A MINI VILLAGE? I was super excited every time I got to a new little village in BoTW. Speaking to the villagers was always fun.

What would be rewards for you? finding something to boost your stats?

Dr Bass

But it does. Some gamers will like the game more if they know others like it too. And they expect all reviewers to band together and give similar marks as if they are one giant ball of yarn.

It's a video game centric kind of expectation from critics. You dont get this from people reading movie reviews where a movie can be rated high, low or all over the place from the 50 Rotten Tomato recaps where they compare against the site's or author's other reviews.
:messenger_tears_of_joy: Yeah I hear you. You just described a huge factor of what's wrong with gamers and the game industry IMO.

Shitfuck, I kinda forgot that this isn't coming out on PC.

sun GIF
I'm sure it will at some point.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Wait...what? I did no such thing. I was told I got banned because I liked a comment and because i posted here. Even one of the mods told me that and said to just walk on as it wasn't worth it. Hell even the pic someone sent me of the thread said that. I absolutely did not say anything like that.
I swear every single time someone tells the story it goes weirder.
I heard Karak wore a child’s face and got censored by Sony.

The problem with Ubisoft towers was never that climbing them felt terrible, It's that climbing them marks everything on your map... That drastically controls the design and feel of the whole world in-game. It makes it so you can't even let the player wonder what's in a cave because it not only marks it as a quest before you even discover the cave but also tells you what the quest is about.

It sucks all the exploration straight out of it making an already meh open world turn into an absolute dread. Ubisoft and other actual devs already understand this which is why they've been takign steps away from it for years now.

No, they were always boring to do. Whether the towers were bloating my map with a lot of crap or not never stopped the towers not being boring

Zelda is the same. Climbing them is boring.

Swift_Star

Banned
No, they were always boring to do. Whether the towers were bloating my map with a lot of crap or not never stopped the towers not being boring

Zelda is actually worse since there are those red blobs or Guardians around the tower. It's the worst "tower design" from them all.

Last edited:

Woggleman

Like I said it will please the fans but won't convert those who don't like it which is fine by me. They should cater to the people who made the first game a success.

Lethal01

The climbing is the least of the issue. I can bare with one small element being boring in a 60 hour game. The real issue is that they cause issues for the 59 other hours of you playing the game. Also there are few enough of them so that they all had a decent little gimick to keep them interesting. Dodging enemies, lighting thing on fire and flying up, etc. Again though, even if I agreed climibng them was bad, that's the smallest problem.

So, like every other open world game.

So, like I said, What Zelda does well is give the terrain clear points of interest you can actually see and aren't marked on your map so you actually look for and discover them spread out just right. Then having a reward there when you get to it. Sounds simple and easy then you play most open worlds and are greeted by empty landscapes with terrain that doesn't have even a quarter the amount of point of interest or those things are literally there only to be looked at..

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Most important aspect to me was the notion that its an open world game for people who don't like open world games and that it can be played without roadblocks in one go like a linear game. Sign me up. Liked that about the first one a lot. I hate open world games with filler content and having to mindlessly roam the shitty world.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
The climbing is the least of the issue. I can bare with one small element being boring in a 60 hour game. The real issue is that they cause issues for the 59 other hours of you playing the game. Also there are few enough of them so that they all had a decent little gimick to keep them interesting. Dodging enemies, lighting thing on fire and flying up, etc. Again though, even if I agreed climibng them was bad, that's the smallest problem.

So, like I said, What Zelda does well is give the terrain clear points of interest you can actually see and aren't marked on your map so you actually look for and discover them spread out just right. Then having a reward there when you get to it. Sounds simple and easy then you play most open worlds and are greeted by empty landscapes with terrain that doesn't have even a quarter the amount of point of interest or those things are literally there only to be looked at..
I honeslty can't see the difference. It's the same tired stuff over and over again.

Fredrik

Wait...what? I did no such thing. I was told I got banned because I liked a comment and because i posted here. Even one of the mods told me that and said to just walk on as it wasn't worth it. Hell even the pic someone sent me of the thread said that. I absolutely did not say anything like that.
I swear every single time someone tells the story it goes weirder.
Banning people simply for posting here must be a new low. Why can’t people just be normal? We should all appreciate that we can talk about games with people from all over the world. So what if someone post on multiple boards, who cares?

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
I know Zelda fans who hated BOTW because of its lack of traditional dungeons and meandering level design.

I am also baffled by the response BOTW got and still continues to get to this day. It has all the hallmarks of a bad Ubisoft open world game forcing you to climb towers and walk for miles before reaching your destination. The core combat was dated or exceedingly simple, the story too forgettable with boring characters and yet it is literally the greatest game ever made to some people. It makes no sense to me lol.

I loved Link Between Worlds and while traditional 3rd person Zelda never really appealed to me, I was super excited to play an open world BOTW, but it just made me dislike it with every single decision choice. I have gone back to it several times over the last five years and simply cant get into it. I have just one divine beast left but I cant do it.

I paid 350$ (Console + game) to play it because I bought into the hype. I wanted to love it, I was ready. I still don’t understand.

sainraja

I am not understanding why there are comparisons being made with Breath of the Wild. Nintendo nailed it with Breath of the Wild but that does not mean Horizon needs to be like Zelda — it probably wouldn't work.
If you over indulge in the same type of thing it will get old, kinda like how the Ubisoft formula has. Now don't get me wrong, many games have adopted good elements from Ubisoft and there is nothing wrong with that; the point I am trying to make is that Horizon can be its own thing that introduces its own flavor to what has already been established.

I never got to finish Horizon upon its release due to BOTW & Destiny 2 but I am working my way through it right now and I don't see how it does not encourage exploration. If you personally don't care for it, that's absolutely fine. It doesn't have to be a fault in the game though. Taking down those machines you come across is insane.

Last edited:

slade

Upgrading your inventory, solving some puzzles.... FINDING A MINI VILLAGE? I was super excited every time I got to a new little village in BoTW. Speaking to the villagers was always fun.

What would be rewards for you? finding something to boost your stats?

Upgrading your inventory is basically just boosting your stats. It's all stuff you people shit on other games for. Just say you like little fairy boys and be done with it.

Muropaketti. (Finnish tech enthusiast site)
5/5

"Horizon Forbidden West is exactly the sequel that Zero Dawn fans wanted: a bigger, more spectacular and more diverse adventure, world that you will gladly immerse into" (my wonky translation)

Dr Bass

I'll end up buying it at the end of the month anyway, my son has a PS5 and absolutely loved the first game so I'm buying him this. I don't wanna play on his PS5 though :/
Well if it's any consolation, the PC version will certainly be better if you have the setup for it. So waiting might not be all bad. :)

GymWolf

Can we stop talking about that overrated boring piece of s...oftware in the horizon review topic please?

About the flamboyant guy, sure his design is kinda...mmm...peculiar but he came from the utaru tribe, a tribe that sing for basically everything from funerals to trying to cure machines, the guy is probably a singer with an appropriate dress for the role.

Also utaru's visual main theme both for villages and costumes are green leaves, it's their type of common dressage code.

Context uh...

Last edited:

Fredrik

I am not understanding why there are comparisons being made with Breath of the Wild. Nintendo nailed it with Breath of the Wild but that does not mean Horizon needs to be like Zelda — it probably wouldn't work.
If you over indulge in the same type of thing it will get old, kinda like how the Ubisoft formula has. Now don't get me wrong, many games have adopted good elements from Ubisoft and there is nothing wrong with that; the point I am trying to make is that Horizon can be its own thing that introduces its own flavor to what has already been established.

I never got to finish Horizon upon its release due to BOTW & Destiny 2 but I am working my way through it right now and I don't see how it does not encourage exploration. If you personally don't care for it, that's absolutely fine. It doesn't have to be a fault in the game though.
It’s coming from the BOTW vs Horizon battle back in 2017. Some still haven’t cooled down on that.
Personally I had the games as #1 and #2 on my GOTY list, both are awesone.

Hinedorf

Banned
So frustrated this can't be released on PC. It's either jet engine OG PS4 with crap quality or make the long wait for the PC release. The FOMO is killing me lol

tassletine

That Eurogamer review is great. Pretty damning but it’s in depth and seems fair.
Basically it says that they just turned the volume up on the first game for good or worse. That the graphics are mind blowing but Aloy is now insufferable because of the presentation of the character.

It’s been years since I’ve read a review that was this detailed and I don’t think I’ve ever read one which treated a video game character as seriously as they would when reviewing a film.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
So frustrated this can't be released on PC. It's either jet engine OG PS4 with crap quality or make the long wait for the PC release. The FOMO is killing me lol
You could always wait for the definitive edition on PC. It could ve a veeery long wait tho.

Majukun

the gameloop is about resources.
the way to go about the game imho is to just point as direction, explore, and gather whatever resources and minidubgeoin you find on your way, rinse and repeat.
if you play botw as a checklist, browsing through your requests and pointing directly at what you need, i think you'll get bored quick..instead it's better to just explore and "oh, just found a field of bananas, do i need bananas?let me get this anyway, point it on my map in case i wanna more and head elsewhere"

botw is basically about mastering, well, the wild around you and making sense of it all, it might not be for everyone, especially if you play it like the usual ubi open world, full of checklists of activities to do and icons to get rid off.

I do agree that the game could have used a lot more special places though, truly unique places and vistas are few and far between

Top Bottom