• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How was the showcase bad????

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Ok so
MGS3 Remake
Dragon's Dogma 2
SPIDERMAN 2 WITH THE SYMBIOTE SUIT & NEW TRAVERSAL ABILITIES
more street fighter 6 content
Plucky squire
Beat Saber finally on psvr2
RE4 remake VR
& lot of good third party games like towers of agahsba and phantom blade 0
And according to GAF, it's somehow the worst showcase since e3 2006....
If this is the "worst" Playstation has to offer its no wonder they're selling out so fast. This is the closest I've been to outright buying one this year.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Ok so
MGS3 Remake
Dragon's Dogma 2
Plucky squire
RE4 remake VR
If this is the "worst" Playstation has to offer its no wonder they're selling out so fast. This is the closest I've been to outright buying one this year.

Allow me to rephrase your list

Remake
Sequel we knew existed
Sequel we knew existed
Sequel we knew existed
neat multiplat game we knew existed
port
VR mode
"and more!"

There was some neat stuff in there for sure. Considering this was their early fake E3 showing it was incredibly underwhelming. No big surprise in sight.

Last edited:

feynoob

I don't, maybe the fact that the showcase is supposed to show what PS is doing these past 2 years.

Only showing spiderman 2 as a major first party game is a stinker. They should have showcased other big games.

Unless they have another showcase this year, it's bad if you only care about their first party games.

Skifi28

Blame the hype train thread with all the crazy expectations. Until FF and spiderman are out, they won't be showing anything else from first party. I thought it was pretty obvious, but perhaps not.

Let's also not forget that whatever surprises would have gotten people excited, are leaked days or hours before so there was never going to be any "wow" moments.

Last edited:

Trekinspace88

Neo Member
It was a good showcase imo but not as good as it could of been. It didn't help that loads of 'insiders' were hyping it up to be something it wasn't. I have long stopped listing to 'insiders' and starting going into showcases/events with low expectations as i did yesterday and as a gamer i was happy with what was shown.

Eotheod

Playstation and games are synonymous
They were stating it wasn't all exclusive, rather it was a great showing of games that are multiplatform. VR had a decent output, of the same titles already released.

Also loved all the CGI trailers, really made me understand just what the developer vision will be with those fantastic "not so specific" visuals.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
We got Dragon's Dogma and hoes mad.

3HN9.gif

I mean look at the games shown.

MGS3 and FFXVI were the biggest games there lol. The only game I am somewhat excited about is Marathon by Bungie and guess what? It's multiplatform so I don't need to buy a PS5 to play it.

edit: forgot about Spiderman 2. that's cool I guess if you're into that shit?

Last edited:

GymWolf

Terrible showcase.

The most interesting thing was a probable chinese vaporware where it wasn't even clear how scripted it was.

Dogma 2 and alan wake 2 didn't showed nearly enough, people forget that 5-10 long gameplay only trailer were a thing in the past.(and dogma looked pretty meh graphically)

Mgs3 showed a logo, i wash my ass with logos, they are fluffier than sponges.

What else? Destiny new uninteresting project that we know shit about? A vr mode for re4? Spidey 2 that looks more crossgen than horizon? Ff16 and sf6 that have a truckload of footage already?

Where is factions? New bend game? Tsushima 2? New bluepoint game? Some new big single player project? Horizon multyplayer? The new corey game? Wolverine? The new single player nd game?

P.s. tower of bagasha was neat.

Last edited:

tmlDan

I loved it tbh, but i understand that having no gameplay with your new studio IP's really ruins the mood of it.

You can't show games from Haven and Firewalk and have a generic trailer without even a SMALL snippet of gameplay to give people an idea of what it'll look like.

Bungie can get away with it cause of their fame, but the first party stuff needs more.

Otherwise i loved it.

Nautilus

Banned
Sequel, Remakes, Chinese games that seemingly had fake gameplay, First party games were CGI AND were GAAS, and games we already know existed and didn't show too much new stuff.

And honestly, the trailers own deliverance also felt boring. A lot of trailers, especially of western games, seem to share this kind of vibe(Which is hard to explain) that, after several years of being kind of the same, it just becomes boring to watch.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

I guess those people only cared about first party title.

For me this showcase was amazing, Dragon Dogma and Snake Eater alone are enough

Towers of Agahsba looks very interesting

Last edited:

Sanepar

Ok so
MGS3 Remake
Dragon's Dogma 2
Plucky squire
RE4 remake VR
All the answers there:
Remake available everywhere third party game
DD2 third party game already announced
Spiderman2 already announced 2 years ago taking 12min
SF6? third, already announced 50 trailers, are u serious?
VR? Really?

What Bend, ND, SP, London Studios, Asobi Team, Firesprite, Bluepoint, Guerrilla(2nd team) are working on?

I said it in another thread. But the issue is it simply didn't come off as a Sony showcase lol.

I felt like I was watching this:

3fce17e0-b8b3-11eb-bef7-09771663cf3e

+

All it was missing was some random corny singer doing a performance of a song nobody knows/likes, and an orchestra playing music nobody gives a fuck about while the host flaunts their friendship with Hideo Kojima :messenger_tears_of_joy:

+

Sprinkle in some spiderman at the end = whatever the hell that was yesterday.

Last edited:

Roufianos

Ok so
MGS3 Remake
Dragon's Dogma 2
Plucky squire
RE4 remake VR
'PlayStation has to offer'? You only listed one PlayStation game, which was already revealed. A great showcase of upcoming games, an atrocious PlayStation showing which raises huge questions of what's actually coming over the next few years.

Topher

Gold Member
Some people just set very high expectations. So high it's almost impossible to achieve.
And when reality sets in, they feel cheated. But they weren't cheated by Sony, they were cheated by themselves.

Expecting a solid showing of PlayStation games at a PlayStation showcase is not having "very high expectations". Those are completely reasonable expectations.

Last edited:

boomcrab

You're totally right OP it wasn't bad at all. Worst you can say is it was mediocre but personally I thought it was good. Not great, or remotely close to some of their best in past, but it was solid.

Tsaki

I don't think it was bad. It was mediocre. If all the Sony 1st party had in-game trailers and not CGI and they actually included TLOU Online instead for saving it for Geoff, it would have been good. Also, Haven looks like dogshit so opening with that instantly soured the mood.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I mean look at the games shown.

MGS3 and FFXVI were the biggest games there lol. The only game I am somewhat excited about is Marathon by Bungie and guess what? It's multiplatform so I don't need to buy a PS5 to play it.

edit: forgot about Spiderman 2. that's cool I guess if you're into that shit?
you are not going to buy a ps5 no matter what.

Kacho

It was a great showcase for multiplat games we already knew about. As far as big suprises there was basically nothing. MGS3 remake was leaked ahead of time and the studio doing the work doesn’t inspire confidence. The biggest issue is the lack of big first party games their fans expect. Especially after radio silence for almost 2 years.

People going in overhyped expecting big bombs who instead got a lot of good games with somewhat vague trailers. Sony doomed, I guess.

Thirty7ven

Banned
They called it the PlayStation showcase and set up the hardcore fanbase for disappointment.

Stuff like Dragons Dogma 2, Final Fantasy XVI, Spider-Man 2, and Alan Wake 2 looked good but the fanbase wanted to at least see in engine reveals of new IP or sequels that would really hype us up and that’s not what happened at all.

CGI trailers of gaas games and Assassins Creed Mirage just isn’t enough.

They had almost a million people watching the English PlayStation channel alone, and they missed an opportunity. There’s still nothing to be excited about for 2024.

There seems to be a big disconnect from the hardcore fanbase and the general audience though, because apparently a whole lot of people actually enjoyed the show.

For us hardcore the hope now is that the Xbox showcase goes hard on the paint and it sends shockwaves to Sony HQ, because they need to be reminded of why the core audience is the beating heart of this shit.

Last edited:

Ristifer

When the first game you show has a dollar sign in its title, you know it's going to be bad. MGS3 is a cool announcement (also the worst kept secret in gaming history), but a CGI trailer... who cares? How far away is this remake? Then, a bunch of multiplatform games and Spider-Man 1.5. At least Spider-Man had gameplay. So, while the visuals sucked, there was something to hold onto there.

flying_sq

I'm vaguely interested in MGS3 Delta and AW2. Nothing else looked good to me. Just the state of current year gaming doesn't appeal to me that much. I like the idea of Plucky Squire, but it just looks like a kids game.

Methos#1975

This was suppose to be a Sony showcase which in the eyes of many, myself included, means it's focus should of been significantly on exclusive PS5 only experiences. Instead we get what was basically another state of play focused on multiplats. This is not what anyone expected nor wanted.

Fbh

I expected a show focusing on big announcements with a strong presence from Sony first party.
I got a show focusing on updates to already announced third party games.
The showcase just didn't really move the needle for me. I'm still looking forward to the same games I was before this like Dragons Dogma 2 and Alan Wake 2, but it didn't show me a single new thing to look forward to.

You know the expression "I was in a meeting that could have been an email?". This felt like " I was in showcase that could have been a state of play".

Last edited:
Allow me to rephrase your list

Remake
Sequel we knew existed
Sequel we knew existed
big game we knew existed
neat game we knew existed
port
VR mode
"and more!"

There was some neat stuff in there for sure. Considering this was their early fake E3 showing it was incredibly underwhelming. No big surprise in sight.
Close thread. We're done here. *flies off in helicopter* 🚁

DrFigs

If there was a show last year or a big show earlier this year, with bigger games, then it could've been okay. But as the first update of what Playstation has been working on for the last 2 years? It was terrible.

It was a great games showcase

It was a terrible playstation showcase.
exactly. It was what we can expect and usually also got from MS. Trailers of a bunch of games, even good games, mostly, but nothing was mind blowing like in their last presentations, too much sequels and remakes, too much CGI, too much Saints Row Overwatch Valorant or whatever visuals. Just trailers and not much of a show with some awkward but also brilliant moments like older days, only the logo lighting show...
There was no reason this show exists in this form. If they want to just keep us updated they should just do a quarterly State of Play and be done with big hype shows.

Ok so
MGS3 Remake
Dragon's Dogma 2
Plucky squire
RE4 remake VR
It was horribly paced and structured.

Jim talks about letting the games speak for themselves but doesn't open with a massive game to start the show off with a bang. A bunch of indie games later and you finally get some big titles but the big titles they show happen to be multi-platform and not even exclusive to Sony. Then it ends on Spider-man 2 which everyone expected and was really the only major exclusive that showcased the power of PS5.

We are over three years into the cycle of PS5 and you have to wonder where are the exclusives? Where are the PS5 games? Not cross-gen, not multi-platform. Where are the big Sony studios? This was a Playstation Showcase it should show off the future of this system.

Every single leak was more exciting than what we ended up getting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom