• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How was the showcase bad????

Clover904

Ok so
MGS3 Remake
Dragon's Dogma 2
SPIDERMAN 2 WITH THE SYMBIOTE SUIT & NEW TRAVERSAL ABILITIES
more street fighter 6 content
Plucky squire
Beat Saber finally on psvr2
RE4 remake VR
& lot of good third party games like towers of agahsba and phantom blade 0
And according to GAF, it's somehow the worst showcase since e3 2006....
If this is the "worst" Playstation has to offer its no wonder they're selling out so fast. This is the closest I've been to outright buying one this year.
It wasn’t bad at all. The problem was that a lot of the expected games werent there. Last of Us Factions, Sony Bend game, Asobi game,Cory Barlog’s game, heavily rumored Uncharted and Twisted Metal games.

If you look at the showcase for what it was instead of what the internet expected, the show was pretty damn good.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Because people had unreasonable expectations.

They really wanted stuff like Bloodborne 2, GTA VI, Killzone/Resistance Remake being revealed.

Dragons Dogma 2 alone did it for me, people dont realize but DD2s is going to be the next big franchise in gaming alongside Elden Ring and Spider Man.

Last edited:

Gudji

It wasn't bad there were quite a few good announcements the problem was presentation. Lots of CGI which screams some games are still far away. Needed more gameplay for the big games imo.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a fantastic showcase after years of silence on major games. These are the presentations you pull out the big guns. People in the know were hyping this showcase. It didn't deliver on that hype. This would have made a good State of Play if they shortened it down.

Sethbacca

I thought a lot of these smaller games looked great, but I can get that people who were expecting a pile of big AAA tentpoles are feeling like it underdelivered. I won't deny that I'd liked to have seen more of what Sony 1st parties have going on. I doubt we will see much until they get Spider-Man 2 out the door though since they're just ramping up the marketing machine for that.

Phantom Blade
Helldivers 2
Neva
Ultros
Arizona Sunshine 2

All looked fantastic. There were some other games that will probably be good that I have zero interest in like Dragon's Dogma. At the moment I've already got FF16 preordered and I'll be in on Spider-Man 2 day one. So while I don't think it was an A grade showcase, I rated it a B because I thought it showed off some interesting titles.

Valonquar

There was 10 out of 35 games I wrote down as must plays, but 2 of those were really closer to must play at deep discount and only 3 were PlayStation exclusives.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It was a great games showcase

It was a terrible playstation showcase.
Yep.

T'was a duality of sorts. One part is excited for some banger games shown, the other part sad because we all wanted at least one new announcement from their legacy studios (Bend? Bluepoint?) and Druckmann to get off his pretentious ass and finally show Factions 2.

Last edited:

DarthPutin

There was a fair share of fun stuff.
However, apart from the obvious (lack of 1st party single-player), I think showcase wasn't well done by itself.

Sure, "let the games do the talking", but for an hour+ presentation, few words inbetween to break monotony would not go amiss. Let some developers present their games with better explanation. E.g. FireWalk game - if this short CGI teaser is the best they can do, at least let the developers say few words on what the game is actually like. Let Haven present their game and explain WHY it's unique.

More dates. More clarity on what's exclusive and what's not. Better cadence, some kind of clear structure.

Sure, if the show consisted of 20 minutes of non-stop 1st Party bangers it would not be neccessary. But as is, it's like they just dumped a bunch of game trailers on us with no rhyme or reason. Right now I don't think they have someone who's good at buidling showcases.

mrmustard

Banned
Some people expected gameplay of Wolverine, Uncharted 4, God of War 3, TLOU3, Bloodborne 2 +5 new AAA ips. They are always speeding up the damn hype train and are surprised and pissed if it derails.

The good thing is, they only have to show 10 seconds of Wolverine or any other AAA's gameplay and it's all it's all forgiven and forgotten.

darrylgorn

E3 hangover, I think.

This used to be the time where the game company reveals everything all at once. Now that game releases are revealed throughout the year, there's no need for one singular event with concentrated levels of content.

Last edited:
It was a fairly good showcase, but both for Sony and MS, and that shouldn't be the case on the big Sony's yearly event.

If we see Avatar, 007 or whatever console multi AAA on MS's showcase, it won't do anything either, it's all about "If you want a console to play what we show, it has to be MY console"

Alebrije

Think it was fine, Sony has to keep 3rd party happy. There where great games but also agree the lack of Sony IPs was a letdown. I expected to see Tlou2 Factions but instead got that horrrible SE bubble foam game.

Do not know how managmement works on SE but who in the hell thought it was a good idea to copy Splatoon...than game.looks like the child of Persona Dance and Splatoon...worse revealtion of the show.

bender

What time is it?
We got GAMEPLAY even.

People will complain only CGI trailers are shown and then complain when gameplay is shown that it's a game that we already knew about.

The best part was the usual suspects saying it doesn't look "next gen" enough. Capcom isn't going to dump Monster Hunter/Resident Evil type of resources into Dragon's Dogma for Pete's sake.

It wasnt bad, people have crazy expectations and thought they'd actually announce their 1st party titles when FFXVI and Spidey 2 is around the corner

To prove a point let's use Sony's 2020 Showcase as a comparison:

- FFXVI was shown off for the first time
- Hogwarts Legacy was shown off
- Spider-Man Miles Morales
- Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War
- Resident Evil 8 Village was shown off
- Death Loop
- Demon Souls was shown off
- DMC 5 Special Edition trailer
- God Of War Ragnarok Teaser

This had exclusives galore and heavy hitters. I left some minor games out.

Elios83

It was fine as a general update on upcoming games. They could have called it an extended State of Play or something like that.
They failed to pack it with meaningful announcements from Playstation Studios.
Realistically many games are just not ready but others that have been already announced (TLOU Online, Rise of Ronin, Stellar Blade, Death Stranding 2) should have been there in some form.
In the end things will be announced when they're ready, also this won't be the only and last opportunity to make announcements throughout this year.
But yeah the show was not exactly worth of being called a Playstation Showcase implicitly setting the expectations of huge new announcements that simply weren't there.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Capcom isn't going to dump Monster Hunter/Resident Evil type of resources into Dragon's Dogma for Pete's sake.
To be frank the visuals and gameplay shown make it look like they did, lol
Everything looked so clean and detailed.

Last edited:

Macaron

Banned
It wasn't bad. This place is just filled with "omg first one in years were gonna get all the best stuff ever!" and twitter hype believers so they felt disappointed.

It wasn't an amazing showcase, but it was solid when you can remove yourself from preconceived notions of what it should be.

saintjules

Some people just set very high expectations. So high it's almost impossible to achieve.
And when reality sets in, they feel cheated. But they weren't cheated by Sony, they were cheated by themselves.

I agree with this. But you have to admit, what they shown even with low to mid expectations was subpar when you combine it all. It was more of an indies showcase imo.

It wasn't bad. This place is just filled with "omg first one in years were gonna get all the best stuff ever!" and twitter hype believers so they felt disappointed.

It wasn't an amazing showcase, but it was solid when you can remove yourself from preconceived notions of what it should be.
I don't know if I agree with that. The point is we are multiple years into PS5's life. Where are the first party games for the second half? Where are the exclusives?

Look at my previous post comparing 2020's showcase to this. You can't deny this is a big step down.

Macaron

Banned

- Death Loop

The only point you're proving is how you are going to hold every showcase to this standard now, which is unrealistic and invalidates how you feel.

The only point you're proving is how you are going to hold every showcase to this standard now, which is unrealistic and invalidates how you feel.
There's a reason a Playstation Showcase is a showcase and not a typical State of Play. I don't have unreasonable expectations but a showcase comes with some level of expectations. It's not unreasonable to want Sony to show off what exclusives it's working on 3-4 years into it's life.

Most of their showcases have been great. That's what they are known for. This wasn't.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Ok so
MGS3 Remake
Dragon's Dogma 2
SPIDERMAN 2 WITH THE SYMBIOTE SUIT & NEW TRAVERSAL ABILITIES
more street fighter 6 content
Plucky squire
Beat Saber finally on psvr2
RE4 remake VR
& lot of good third party games like towers of agahsba and phantom blade 0
If this is the "worst" Playstation has to offer its no wonder they're selling out so fast. This is the closest I've been to outright buying one this year.
So only one non-port, sequel, remake on this list

- Death Loop

And 2021

KOTOR remake (not exclusive, delayed)
project eve (still no official date)
Tiny Tina's wonderland (not exclusive)
Forspoken (not exclusive)
Rainbox 6 extraction (not exclusive)
Alan wake remaster (not exclusive)
GTAV 10000th edition (not exclusive)
Ghostwire tokyo (not exclusive)
Guardians of the galaxy (not exclusive)
Vampire the masquerade blood hunt (not exclusive)
deathloop (not exclusive)
Kid a mnesia exhibition (not exclusive)
Tchia (not exclusive)
Uncharted legacy collection (not exclusive)
Wolverine
GT7
Spider-man 2
GoW ragnarok

Not a whole lot of exclusives either.

Last edited:
If you already own a PS5 your perspective may be different. For me, nothing they showed convinces me to go out and buy a PS5 so for my target audience it failed.

The PS5 is in its third year and I've yet to see a game that makes me feel like I'm missing out not having a PS5. So far, I can play almost everything on my PS4 Pro or my PC. I was hoping this showcase would sell me a PS5 and it didn't.

winjer

Gold Member
I agree with this. But you have to admit, what they shown even with low to mid expectations was subpar when you combine it all. It was more of an indies showcase imo.

For me, the best game presented was an indie game: The Talos principle 2.
This is one of the best games I have ever played and I'm very happy to get a sequel.
I also love Cat Quest, so I'm happy it also has a new game.

Indie games do not reduce t6he quality of a game show, they complement and enhance it.

Robb

Gold Member
If you’re happy with it good for you. Didn’t move the needle one bit for me though. Only game for Ps5 I wanted was Spider-Man, same as before the showcase. The rest I can play elsewhere or have no interest in.

And the amount of CGI as well as throwing in movie trailers to fill things out was just hilarious.

Last edited:
And 2021

KOTOR remake (not exclusive, delayed)
project eve (still no official date)
Tiny Tina's wonderland (not exclusive)
Forspoken (not exclusive)
Rainbox 6 extraction (not exclusive)
Alan wake remaster (not exclusive)
GTAV 10000th edition (not exclusive)
Ghostwire tokyo (not exclusive)
Guardians of the galaxy (not exclusive)
Vampire the masquerade blood hunt (not exclusive)
deathloop (not exclusive)
Kid a mnesia exhibition (not exclusive)
Tchia (not exclusive)
Uncharted legacy collection (not exclusive)
Wolverine
GT7
Spider-man 2
GoW ragnarok

Not a whole lot of exclusives either.
There's plenty of exclusives. Wolverine, Spider-man 2, GT7, and GoW are all Sony exclusive titles and first party. KOTOR isn't first party exclusive but it was hype inducing and most of that list are just really exciting games. It was a well paced presentation compared to this one on top of that.

Last edited:

Macaron

Banned
There's a reason a Playstation Showcase is a showcase and not a typical State of Play. I don't have unreasonable expectations but a showcase comes with some level of expectations. It's not unreasonable to want Sony to show off what exclusives it's working on 3-4 years into it's life.

Most of their showcases have been great. That's what they are known for. This wasn't.
You posted BY FAR the best showcase ever, posting about how thats your standard, but don't think you have unreasonable expectations? Um ok....

You're getting FF next month, Spiderman in the fall, and a really good amount of exclusives over the past two years since launch. But shit showcase if first party developers actually need time to develop games and can't have a showcase like the one you quoted? Ooook....

Last edited:
If you already own a PS5 your perspective may be different. For me, nothing they showed convinces me to go out and buy a PS5 so for my target audience it failed.

The PS5 is in its third year and I've yet to see a game that makes me feel like I'm missing out not having a PS5. So far, I can play almost everything on my PS4 Pro or my PC. I was hoping this showcase would sell me a PS5 and it didn't.
My cousin has said the exact same thing. He's still got his PS4 and he's like most games have been cross-gen and they aren't really showing off anything truly exclusive for PS5 to make him spend the money to get it.

There's plenty of exclusives. Wolverine, Spider-man 2, GT7, and GoW are all Sony exclusive titles and first party. KOTOR isn't first party exclusive but it was hype inducing and most of that list are just really exciting games. It was a well paced presentation compared to this one on top of that.
Ragnarok was releasing, so was gt7. They didn't even showcase wolverine again, probably too early in development

Anyone expecting big announcements were overhyped by 'insiders. Nothing will be showed until ffxvi and spidey 2 is released.

Last edited:
You posted BY FAR the best showcase ever, posting about how thats your standard, but don't think you have unreasonable expectations? Um ok....

You're getting FF next month, Spiderman in the fall, and a really good amount of exclusives over the past two years since launch. But shit showcase if first party developers actually need time to develop games and can't have a showcase like the one you quoted? Ooook....
You are pretending sony hasn't put out banger showcases constantly. Someone else posted the 2021 showcase which was also great. Sony is literally KNOWN for their E3 showcases because they were always better than the competition.

Edder1

Man, the whole SSD hype around console launch here on Gaf seems like a very long time ago now. It's pretty obvious that very few devs have optimised their engines for current gen hardware, so in reality we are just getting a slightly upgraded versions of what we got last gen. This makes me think that this gen and its cross gen period (cross gen when PS6 launches) are gonna be very long because it will probably another couple of years abefore we start seeing things like what we saw in Unreal Engine 5 demos (and even longer for them to release).

Even games that looked visually impressive at the showcase like Alan Wake 2 still have character models that could easily be done on last gen hardware. I think it's pretty obvious that UE5 is just way way ahead of everyone else. Overall it's been a very disappointing gen so far.

Last edited:

Macaron

Banned
You are pretending sony hasn't put out banger showcases constantly. Someone else posted the 2021 showcase which was also great. Sony is literally KNOWN for their E3 showcases because they were always better than the competition.
I never said this showcase was spectacular. Its just not bad like you're pretending it was. You're in your head with expectations. Plenty of games I now have interest in, I don't need another Wolverine teaser or some blockbuster to be happy about it.

Man, the whole SSD hype around console launch here on Gaf seems like a very long time ago now. It's pretty obvious that very few devs have optimised their engines for current gen hardware, so in reality we are just getting a slightly upgraded versions of what we got last gen. This makes me think that this gen and its cross gen period (cross gen when PS6 launches) are gonna be very long because it will probably another couple of years abefore we start seeing things like what we saw in Unreal Engine 5 demos.

Even games that looked visually impressive at the showcase like Alan Wake 2 still have character models that could easily be done on last gen hardware. Overall it's been a very disappointing gen so far.
I mean they haven't left previous gen behind at all which doesn't help.

RaijinFY

Man, the whole SSD hype around console launch here on Gaf seems like a very long time ago now. It's pretty obvious that very few devs have optimised their engines for current gen hardware, so in reality we are just getting a slightly upgraded versions of what we got last gen. This makes me think that this gen and its cross gen period (cross gen when PS6 launches) are gonna be very long because it will probably another couple of years abefore we start seeing things like what we saw in Unreal Engine 5 demos.

Even games that looked visually impressive at the showcase like Alan Wake 2 still have character models that could easily be done on last gen hardware. Overall it's been a very disappointing gen so far.

Well, when you have games taking 6 years to make you have a big inertia in harnessing the power of the new machines. I personally don't see any interest in releasing a new generation of console during this decade.

I never said this showcase was spectacular. Its just not bad like you're pretending it was. You're in your head with expectations. Plenty of games I now have interest in, I don't need another Wolverine teaser or some blockbuster to be happy about it.
I said it was horribly paced and structured. I never said it was a terrible showcase. I'm just saying at this stage in PS5's life cycle they should probably be showing off more of their exclusive titles from first party.

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
Ragnarok was releasing, so was gt7. They didn't even showcase wolverine again, probably too early in development

Anyone expecting big announcements were overhyped by 'insiders. Nothing will be showed until ffxvi and spidey 2 is released.

People forget that AAA game production nowdays is much more complicated than it was 10 years ago.

Last edited:
Top Bottom