• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How was the showcase bad????

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Gamers look for first-party games during their showcases and we received mostly CGI trailers.

Fairgame$, Marathon, and Concord might turn out to be good games, but it's hard to get excited when you don't see any gameplay.

Big shows like this need to be carried by first party titles and Sony dropped the ball with this one. They were better off reducing this show to about 45 minutes and calling it the State of Play featuring Spider-Man 2.

Edder1

I personally don't see any interest in releasing a new generation of console during this decade.
Have to agree with you, but we'll very much likely get them and they will probably be even more underutilised than current gen ones. Just imagine how long PS6 native games would take to develop, lol. I think we're at the point when there's no need to launch new console for at least 10 years seeing how long games take to make. Launching Pro consoles after 5 years and extending generation to 10 is what makes the most sense imo. The only thing that can help with all this is AI, but not sure it will be of too much benefit in immediate future for AAA gaming.

Last edited:
The point where over the last two years there have been a fuckton of exclusives/AAA games/critically acclaimed games? What are you even talking about? You realize making new games takes years and years yeah?
You act like my take is a minority view or something. A lot of people in the industry think that was a weak showcase, a lot of people in the know of what's in development.

DForce DForce Hit it on the head.

Last edited:

SEGA_2012

I think people were expecting big new stuff from Sony (Factions, new ip from Cory Balrog, Bloodborne remake and 2 , etc ) and they got what ? SM2 trailer (everybody knows the game is coming), a shitty woke FPS from Haven, a new IP from Bungie (also coming to XB and PC) and some PSVR2 stuff. I was not expecting too much because i don't care for Modern Sony First Party output, but i can understand why people are angry.

Macaron

Banned
You act like my take is a minority view or something. A lot of people in the industry think that was a weak showcase, a lot of people in the know of what's in development.
Your take is the same one everyone who let themselves get hyped has though. You guys are like kids on Xmas when one "insider" on twitter says "this showcase is gonna be AMAZING!" without the ability to use logic and realize what giant game could we possibly have showcased when the release schedule is no secret?

The problem lies within yourself, that goes for everyone who is like you and went "omg look at previous showcases this is gonna be SO EPIC!". Just take things for what they are and you won't feel so disappointed over nothing.

Neofire

Ok so
MGS3 Remake
Dragon's Dogma 2
SPIDERMAN 2 WITH THE SYMBIOTE SUIT & NEW TRAVERSAL ABILITIES
more street fighter 6 content
Plucky squire
Beat Saber finally on psvr2
RE4 remake VR
& lot of good third party games like towers of agahsba and phantom blade 0
And according to GAF, it's somehow the worst showcase since e3 2006....
If this is the "worst" Playstation has to offer its no wonder they're selling out so fast. This is the closest I've been to outright buying one this year.
Only 1 first party title? While I wouldn't say it was bad but definitely wasn't good, especially for playstation owners. What in that showcase that PC isn't getting?

Sony is buying up developers only to make them 3rd party lol. Save those billions(throw that into 1st party titles) and just do 3rd party collaborations. Which that seems to be what they are doing anyway.

Your take is the same one everyone who let themselves get hyped has though. You guys are like kids on Xmas when one "insider" on twitter says "this showcase is gonna be AMAZING!" without the ability to use logic and realize what giant game could we possibly have showcased when the release schedule is no secret?

The problem lies within yourself, that goes for everyone who is like you and went "omg look at previous showcases this is gonna be SO EPIC!". Just take things for what they are and you won't feel so disappointed over nothing.
It's not about getting hyped from people. It's about the obvious.... this is a playstation showcase and they didn't showcase shit that they were working on. I've never complained about a Sony Showcase before, typically they're pretty great. This one was not. It had some good games but I expect more at this point in PS5's life.

Other people said it best -

Shorten the length of this and call it a State of Play. Wait till you have more first party titles to show off for a showcase. Problem solved.

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
Only 1 first party title? While I wouldn't say it was bad but definitely wasn't good, especially for playstation owners. What in that showcase that PC isn't getting?

Sony is buying up developers only to make them 3rd party lol. Save those billions(throw that into 1st party titles) and just do 3rd party collaborations. Which that seems to be what they are doing anyway.

Four:

• FairGame$ by Haven Studios
  • Spider Man 2 by Insomniac
  • Helldivers 2 by Arrowhead Game Studios
  • Concord by Firesprite Studios

Macaron

Banned
It's not about getting hyped from people. It's about the obvious.... this is a playstation showcase and they didn't showcase shit that they were working on.
You literally posted a previous showcase as an "example" of what they should be like but now you're denying being hyped going into it? I'd bet my ass you're the type who was like "OK but the NEXT thing they show is gonna be EPIC" the entire time lol.

"They didn't showcase shit" well you are quite literally wrong when it was an hour long and like 20+games shown sooooo lol

It wasn't.

Not unless the only reason you tuned in is because you needed to see a new AAA first-party single-player game unveiled for the very first time. This did not have that, but given what was in this show, I'm really not sure how people left it feeling disappointed.

just_jr

This presentation would fit better in a State of Play. Showcases tends to make people believe that they'll be focusing more on exclusive projects

Last edited:
You literally posted a previous showcase as an "example" of what they should be like but now you're denying being hyped going into it? I'd bet my ass you're the type who was like "OK but the NEXT thing they show is gonna be EPIC" the entire time lol.

"They didn't showcase shit" well you are quite literally wrong when it was an hour long and like 20+games shown sooooo lol
I'm talking about FIRST PARTY EXCLUSIVES. Games that make you happy you bought a PS5 to begin with. Games that I don't expect are a plus too. The problem is games people figured would obviously be here weren't.

Last edited:

Macaron

Banned
I'm talking about FIRST PARTY exclusives.
So you didn't have hype and expectations, but not enough first party exclusives for your liking so it was bad......

Bro you contradict yourself with every post. Just accept the fact you wanted more, you didn't get what you wanted, and thats no ones fault but your own. Sony has been KILLING IT the past two years. God forbid they have a showcase that doesn't have the 10 blockbuster AAA first party exclusives you went in expecting lmao

So you didn't have hype and expectations, but not enough first party exclusives for your liking so it was bad......

Bro you contradict yourself with every post. Just accept the fact you wanted more, you didn't get what you wanted, and thats no ones fault but your own. Sony has been KILLING IT the past two years. God forbid they have a showcase that doesn't have the 10 blockbuster AAA first party exclusives you went in expecting lmao
I just got done saying this would have made a fine State of Play if it was shortened. You are overly defensive of other people's views on it. Chill out Jim Ryan. lol

Neofire

Four:

• FairGame$ by Haven Studios
  • Spider Man 2 by Insomniac
  • Helldivers 2 by Arrowhead Game Studios
  • Concord by Firesprite Studios
I Guarantee all of those will come to the PC, Sony has all but stated that they will. There is even a thread of bullet points from Sony saying they will match PC port output with the ps5 and seeing that the fist Spiderman and Miles Morales came to the PC. Spider-Man 2 will as well.

Macaron

Banned
I just got done saying this would have made a fine State of Play if it was shortened. You are overly defensive of other people's views on it. Chill out Jim Ryan. lol
I see. So if they just changed it from Showcase to State of Play all of a sudden its good. lol. Again, right back to your expectations going in. You thought the word showcase meant you were gonna get thrown AAA 1st party exclusives, you didn't, so somehow its their fault instead of your own.

Let this be a lesson for you. Don't go into things setting yourself up for disappointment, and maybe you would have thought it was fine.

I see. So if they just changed it from Showcase to State of Play all of a sudden its good. lol. Again, right back to your expectations going in. You thought the word showcase meant you were gonna get thrown AAA 1st party exclusives, you didn't, so somehow its their fault instead of your own.

Let this be a lesson for you. Don't go into things setting yourself up for disappointment, and maybe you would have thought it was fine.
You are more emotional about it than I am. All I said is I don't think it made for a great showcase.

State of Plays aren't as hype as a showcase that's a fact. There is a reason they are two different things. This cut down some would have been better served as a State of play but as is it makes for a weaker showcase. It's not a controversial take.

Ok so
MGS3 Remake
Dragon's Dogma 2
Plucky squire
RE4 remake VR
If this is the "worst" Playstation has to offer its no wonder they're selling out so fast. This is the closest I've been to outright buying one this year.
Because us gamers are a bunch of spoiled people that want what we want and we want it now. lol But anyway, I enjoyed the showcase, it definitely wasn't on E3 level, but I thought it was decent and I was satisfied with what I saw.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

Didn't help 1 bit when Sony VP said: "Your nuts will be launched into space"

They didn't even show bloodborne remaster or anything.

Macaron

Banned
You are more emotional about it than I am. All I said is I don't think it made for a great showcase.

State of Plays aren't as hype as a showcase that's a fact. There is a reason they are two different things. This cut down some would have been better served as a State of play but as is it makes for a weaker showcase. It's not a controversial take.
Usually the guy who goes "youre emotional" is the one who is emotional lol I was just pointing out how you and others set yourself up for disappointment and you are defensive about it.

Still defending your disappointment too as if Sony is at fault for calling it a showcase instead of a state of play lol whatever helps you cope but i'll stick by my opinion of thinking you shouldn't have let yourself be so hyped by such a thing, especially when anyone using the logical side of their brain has to realize it was always gonna go this way when the past two years have been pretty fn stacked and games take awhile to make.

Most of those games are coming to xbox or already revealed months ago. Plus Spiderman showcase was extremely underwhelming, with SM remastered tier graphics.
This right now is why games are taking years to be made now. Gamers have very high expectations....

Spider man 2 looks 100x better than Zelda ToTK which got 10s and it does look better than the previous spiderman games but the expectations for both PlayStation and Xbox are higher which is why these games are taking forever to be released.

I really think we didn't see a lot of first party games because they are just not ready to be shown and they probably didn't want to do lame CGI trailers because that's a waste of money and time.

Last edited:

Data Ghost

If this is SONY and PS5 at the top of their game, then this show was really (really) underwhelming. Its probably taken the heat of ol' Phil Spencer for their event, matching this should be very easy for XBOX, so imagine if theirs turns out to be good, or even great?!

I know the stream was 1080p and not a good reflection on the graphics but I didn't think Spider-Man 2 was much of a visual step up from Spider-Man or Miles Morales. In fact I was a bit surprised. Saying that I'm sure it will be a thoroughly excellent game like the others. The rest of the show though features games that all looked the same, or indie games that looked like they would be free on Gamepass or Playstation+

The handheld left me with zero interest. I thought it looked naff, and I am not excited by cloud gaming either. but it turns out it's a remote play device!? Completely pants considering this came from the company that gave use the excellent PSP and PS Vita.

If this is SONY and PS5 at the top of their game, then this show was really (really) underwhelming. Its probably taken the heat of ol' Phil Spencer for their event, matching this should be very easy for XBOX, so imagine if theirs turns out to be good, or even great?!

I know the stream was 1080p and not a good reflection on the graphics but I didn't think Spider-Man 2 was much of a visual step up from Spider-Man or Miles Morales. In fact I was a bit surprised. Saying that I'm sure it will be a thoroughly excellent game like the others. The rest of the show though features games that all looked the same, or indie games that looked like they would be free on Gamepass or Playstation+

The handheld left me with zero interest. I thought it looked naff, and I am not excited by cloud gaming either. but it turns out it's a remote play device!? Completely pants considering this came from the company that gave use the excellent PSP and PS Vita.
I was thinking the same thing. Phil and the people at XBOX are probably really happy right now. They don't have to get a home run to look good in this which is good for them. Starfield having a presence alone is already a nice help. I can easily see them matching this and maybe even pulling off a slightly better one.

Nothing wrong with some good competition. Sony should have a little heat under their feet.

Last edited:
Not enough PS studios. I really thought we would hear from naughty dog and bluepoint. I don't count the new unproven live service studios. I have no interest in those type of games.

nikos

Ok so
MGS3 Remake
Dragon's Dogma 2
Plucky squire
RE4 remake VR

MGS Remake - Wasn't my fav in the series. No Kojima, not much faith in Konami to deliver on their own.
Dragon's Dogma 2 - This was actually a pretty hype moment.
Spider-Man - Looks like more of the same. I liked the first game, never finished Miles Morales. Don't really care about it.
SF6 - Hype but it's a week away, nothing new.
Plucky Squire - u wot m8
Beat Saber - No interest.
RE4 VR - No interest in RE.

A couple of other games looked promising but we saw absolutely zero gameplay from them.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
It was bad as a playstation showcase. It would’ve been a good jeff keighley show. There were a few games I will be buying day 1 like Alan Wake and DD2 but they gave me no good reason to turn on my ps5 this year.

MiguelItUp

For me it was that it was just the overall vibe and quality of it all. The flow felt very odd to me. I went in with no expectations other than this would be the one to kick off "E3" streams. So, I assumed they'd bring the heat with reveals. But I didn't feel like they did.

This was being boasted as something more than a standard State of Play, but in reality, it just felt like a longer State of Play. Weird indie games, and all. It felt no different.

hyperbertha

I watched it at 4k. And frankly it was worse. I thought it looked like a cross gen game first, but now I'm convinced it's a PS4 game. Missing ambient occlusion, soft shadowing, low poly character models, bad lod and bad textures all over the place.
I hate to say it, but lord of the rings Gollum may have better lighting tech than sm2. Sm2 never looked next gen, but there are some small snippets where Gollum actually comes close to looking like a proper ps5 game.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Games looked good, but the presentation itself could be way better. They choose horrible games to open with. Outside of re 4, the other psvr games could be on a reel instead of individual trailers. I never saw some so uninterested in the products he announcing as I saw Jim yesterday talking about the new accessories. And while they had fun games, they didn't had a single game that looked next gen... 3 years into this gen.

Allow me to rephrase your list

Remake
Sequel we knew existed
Sequel we knew existed
big game we knew existed
neat game we knew existed
port
VR mode
"and more!"

There was some neat stuff in there for sure. Considering this was their early fake E3 showing it was incredibly underwhelming. No big surprise in sight.
Basically this. Very little in the way of actual surprises and Spider-Man 2 was their final send off and only real first party game which looks good but Marvel (sick of fucking marvel at this point).Good games but was hoping for more stuff we hadn’t heard of.

I also blame fucking leakers like Jez and Tom fucking Henderson. They’re the kind of cunts who would sit there during a movie and say ‘watch this part where X happens’, just to suck the fun out of it and prove that they know people in the industry. I’d like to say that it’s easy to avoid that stuff too but it isn’t.

DragonNCM

Presentation was ok for third party games but luck of AAA Sony exclusive titles & showing Spiderman 2 with last generation graphics was damn shit.....

Shifty1897

Basically no first party, no release dates on anything (how?). Third party games were literally one of three genres: artsy fartsy Indie game, first person shooter, third person action.

Minsc

Gold Member
My cousin has said the exact same thing. He's still got his PS4 and he's like most games have been cross-gen and they aren't really showing off anything truly exclusive for PS5 to make him spend the money to get it.

You could always just think of it as a PS4 Pro Pro. And the upcoming PS4 Pro Pro Pro will be out hopefully later this year or next to push the framerates even higher.

Show was bullocks imo. We waited two years for this??? Not a single new AAA exclusive from all of Sonys studios. Zero. What are they all working on and why the radio silence for so long? Let me guess…….because they are live service shite that they don’t want to show. Spiderman 2 and FF XVI is all we get for now. Jim has taken them into live service and peripheral territory. A far cry from where they were last gen un Shawn Layden and Co. Sony is changing and it’s quite obvious for anyone who isn’t wearing fanboy goggles. Where was a desperately needed shooter such as Killzone, Resistance, Socom or something brand new? How about an I famous sequel? why not bring back a new Motorstorm? Bloodborne 2 or remaster? so many series they could revive or make sequels to and yet they would rather go the live service route and stray from what has a,ways made Playstation as great as it is. This show was nothing as I expected it to be. I guess when the competition is bottoming out you lower your standards as well. I hope Xbox has a great show in store for the 11th of June as they desperately need to show some bangers while making sure Sony has a bit of competition in the game space . Sonys show was more like a state of play and nothing more. Very poor.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
You forgot:

SeqwSyB.jpg

Hope this runs at 16k and 480fps on PS5!

giphy.gif
Pretty sure Tecent or any other big chinese Puib payed Sony a lot of money to show this mobile game in the show. What a load of bs.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Lacked first party content. For a Playstation showcase, I expect a lot of first party games. It failed.

Freeman76

I just found it boring. MGS3 remake was nice to see but no footage of the game says it's at least a late '24 game, Dragons Dogma 2 looks incredible as well, both of those are multiplatform though. The rest of it felt like a load of Fortnite and Souls clones to me. Spidey 2 looked alright but didn't wow me at all.

I dont give a shit about sony vs ms as I own both consoles, but the fact in a Sony presentation the only 2 games I will buy I well get for Xbox tells me it wasnt a good Sony show at all, in fact pretty awful from that perspective.

People expecting Bloodborne, Halflife Alyx, LoU Factions etc are gonna feel bummed as well due to high expectations, but over the years I realised the hype train is usually just that, a bunch of online 'personalities' trying to get attention.

Will be interesting to see what MS deliver next month, they dont have to do much to top this so I think Sony did them a favour.

Hot5pur

I was kind of relieved as it solidified my plan not to buy a PS5. Also may have been a sign that some stuff will release on PC/PS5 at the same time.
I can understand frustration of Sony fans though, nothing to get excited for in the future but you will have plenty to play, especially FFXVI that looks goood

I was kind of relieved as it solidified my plan not to buy a PS5. Also may have been a sign that some stuff will release on PC/PS5 at the same time.
I can understand frustration of Sony fans though, nothing to get excited for in the future but you will have plenty to play, especially FFXVI that looks goood
It was clearly a showcase for what will keep you engaged and busy in 2023. It was not full of first look exclusives for 2024/2025 games. But it doesn't need to be that. They can save those for late 2023 or early 2024, and time it around PS5 Pro which we all know is coming at some point in the next 18-24 months.

Top Bottom