• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2023. 6-24 Cores, Frame Generation, Enhanced Ray Tracing & Direct Storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nkarafo

It's not really that they're a shitty design, it's that they're a new design. E-cores help a lot in tasks that can be split up and scaled across any number of threads, because those tasks are agnostic to those sorts of imbalances.

But gaming is much more complicated. Different threads are doing different tasks, and all of them need to work together, so a demanding process on the less powerful core can be a "weak link" and slow things down. This is also why single core performance is still really important to emulation.

As devs get better and writing for asymmetrical processors, this issue will go away. The e-cores still provide a great deal of additional power at devs disposal, but it's about making sure the right threads end up on the right cores.
Still though, it's very silly how there isn't a single CPU, not a single one between such huge quantity of different models, that has 8 P cores and no E cores. There's only one with 6 P cores and that's it. Not sure what's that about.

I'll wait for one in the next line of CPUs. If there isn't one i may get one with E cores if all the issues are fixed by then or go for an AMD CPU.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Still though, it's very silly how there isn't a single CPU, not a single one between such huge quantity of different models, that has 8 P cores and no E cores. There's only one with 6 P cores and that's it. Not sure what's that about.

I'll wait for one in the next line of CPUs. If there isn't one i may get one with E cores if all the issues are fixed by then or go for an AMD CPU.
AMD is going assymetrical as well. But the good news is that means devs are gonna have to figure it out.

E-cores are still a net benefit overall. They increase the system's ability to multitask and they're good for productivity. And the negative impact on gaming is like making your 200fps game run at 192 fps, like it's really not something you're likely to feel given how powerful these chips are.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
6700xt might be the least expensive "decent" option right now, if one preferres texture quality, stable minimum framerates and value for money. I myself got my eye on the 6800 16gb and the upcoming 4060ti 16gb and even the 7700/7800 range from AMD which should at least pop up in 3Q. It is difficult to judge how much power/VRAM/other features that a pc gamer on a budget would need right now since it seems like we are just transitioning to the the heavy "current gen" phase of the cycle where demands increase so much that requires games to be locked to 30fps on consoles. A wait and see approach is best.
What 4060 Ti 16GB? I wasnt aware of such a GPU. I think youre confusing the 16GB generic 4060.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
AMD is going assymetrical as well. But the good news is that means devs are gonna have to figure it out.

E-cores are still a net benefit overall. They increase the system's ability to multitask and they're good for productivity. And the negative impact on gaming is like making your 200fps game run at 192 fps, like it's really not something you're likely to feel given how powerful these chips are.
There is so much untapped processing power in current CPUs. If love for games to utilize E-cores for performance benefits. Id love to see games utilize iGPUs for extra frames

Perrott

Gold Member
Any recommendations on which manufacturers (and models) to get an AM5 X670 motherboard and DDR5 RAM memory from? High-end, reliable stuff that would last for a while.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Should a 240 rad being able to keep a 7900x cool enough?

My wife decided she wants to play Starfield and grabbed her a nice prebuilt f a pretty nice discount since it was damaged in transit and was rejected by the original buyer.

Wont be able to get it hooked up for a week or so as we are heading out of town but snagged this for $3k

8rcP5lR.jpg

Last edited:

Pandemic

I've come across a separate build that appears better but could be wrong.

The original build I was looking at was:
Chassis – Lian Li O11D Evo – Black
Motherboard – Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX DDR5
CPU – Intel Core i7-13700KF | 5.4 GHz | 16 Cores 24 Threads
Graphics Card – Gigabyte RTX 4070Ti Gaming OC – 12GB
CPU Cooling System – Aftershock Glacier Mirror 360mm
Thermal Compound – Premium Enthusiast Grade Thermal Compound
Primary SSD – 1TB Gen4 Samsung M.2. NVME (R: 7000MB/s | W: 5100MB/s)
Hard Drive – No Hard Drive (I'll add one in myself)
Chassis Fans – 6 x Aftershock F21 RGB 120mm Fans
RAM – 32GB Kingston Fury Beast Black 5600MHz (2x16GB) CL36
Operating System – Windows 11 Home 64 Bit
Power Supply Unit – 850W Inwin 80+ Gold – Modular

However, any thoughts on whether this build is better would be appreciated! It will cost an extra $400, which I think is mainly to do with the graphics card. Worth the extra dollars?

Chassis - Phanteks Eclipse G360A Airflow D-RGB
Motherboard - Gigabyte Z790 GAMING X AX
CPU - Intel Core i7 13700K 8P/8E Core 24 Threads
Graphics Card - Inno3D GeForce RTX 4080 ICHILL X3 16GB
RAM - Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 5600MHz C36
CPU Cooling System - Thermaltake Toughliquid ARGB 360
SSD - Kingston 2TB KC3000 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2280
Hard Drive - Seagate 2TB BarraCuda 3.5"
Power Supply - Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 1000W 80+ Gold PCIe 5 Fully Modular
Chassis Fans - Phanteks PH-F120SK SK 120mm PWM Fan D-RGB
OS - Windows 11 Home 64 Bit

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
yeah but largely depends on the aio's performance.

could always try a 4-fan push-pull config.
upgrade all radiator fans if you're ok spending a little money.
undervolt the CPU if temps are still a concern.
Thank you found a pretty in depth review and according to this guy it performs really well keeping it cool.

Thanks again for the reply

What 4060 Ti 16GB? I wasnt aware of such a GPU. I think youre confusing the 16GB generic 4060.
A 16gb varient of the 4060 ti was already announced and will be released in July. At 500 USD. Means a 100 USD more for 8Gb higher VRAM, when prices for Nvidia at current are probably less than 25 USD. So, it's overpriced, as usual, but maybe be a better option than the current offerings.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Should a 240 rad being able to keep a 7900x cool enough?

My wife decided she wants to play Starfield and grabbed her a nice prebuilt f a pretty nice discount since it was damaged in transit and was rejected by the original buyer.

Wont be able to get it hooked up for a week or so as we are heading out of town but snagged this for $3k

8rcP5lR.jpg
A fan itself is enough to keep the 7900X cool.
A 16gb varient of the 4060 ti was already announced and will be released in July. At 500 USD. Means a 100 USD more for 8Gb higher VRAM, when prices for Nvidia at current are probably less than 25 USD. So, it's overpriced, as usual, but maybe be a better option than the current offerings.
I know. My post after his made that clear.

SF Kosmo

However, any thoughts on whether this build is better would be appreciated! It will cost an extra $400, which I think is mainly to do with the graphics card. Worth the extra dollars?

Hard to tell another person what $400 is worth to them. A 4080 is probably around 30% faster than a 4070Ti, but both will make short work out of anything you could play now, so I guess it's kind of question of how often do you intend to upgrade your card? If you're hoping to keep it for 5+ years then it's usually worth it to reach a bit, but if you're gonna get a new one in 2 years you'll probably never see much difference.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Instead of the KF model, get the K. Take it from me, having that iGPU is so handy for diagnosing errors.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Hard to tell another person what $400 is worth to them. A 4080 is probably around 30% faster than a 4070Ti, but both will make short work out of anything you could play now, so I guess it's kind of question of how often do you intend to upgrade your card? If you're hoping to keep it for 5+ years then it's usually worth it to reach a bit, but if you're gonna get a new one in 2 years you'll probably never see much difference.
I have such a hard time ever recommending the 4080 or 4070 Ti. The value is just so awful.

I say this with my 4090 installed!

SF Kosmo

I have such a hard time ever recommending the 4080 or 4070 Ti. The value is just so awful.

I say this with my 4090 installed!
They're not really a bad value, they just aren't a better value than the premium tier, as they traditionally are.

They're still the best cards you can buy at that price point, when you factor in the feature set.
Instead of the KF model, get the K. Take it from me, having that iGPU is so handy for diagnosing errors.
Apparently the the iGPU can be useful for video encoding, even if you use a discrete GPU, too.

Last edited:

Pandemic

Thanks for your response and help so far Kosmo, appreciate it mate.

Is the only real difference between the two the graphics card? I’m hoping to not have to upgrade my graphics card for a few years, or any other parts for that matter. I assume I’m better off getting the 4080?

Thanks for your response too Johnny. Do you suggest me getting the second build? The K instead of the KF?

Thanks again legends!

MikeM

Is the only real difference between the two the graphics card? I’m hoping to not have to upgrade my graphics card for a few years, or any other parts for that matter. I assume I’m better off getting the 4080?

Thanks for your response too Johnny. Do you suggest me getting the second build? The K instead of the KF?

Thanks again legends!
I’d buy the 4080 just for the vram alone. Give it way more long term legs.

SF Kosmo

Second build has more storage, which is a definite plus (though easily upgraded).

The 4070Ti and 4080 are not radically different classes if card, but assume that, however long you would have kept the 4070Ti, you will probably get another year out of the 4080.

FWIW I got a 4070Ti and it's an absolutely killer card that runs everything I throw at it blazing fast.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Thanks again legends!
Yes, switch to the K instead of KF. That would be my only change. What GPU are you planning to get?

Pandemic

I’d buy the 4080 just for the vram alone. Give it way more long term legs.

Thanks for the response mate.

Second build has more storage, which is a definite plus (though easily upgraded).

The 4070Ti and 4080 are not radically different classes if card, but assume that, however long you would have kept the 4070Ti, you will probably get another year out of the 4080.

FWIW I got a 4070Ti and it's an absolutely killer card that runs everything I throw at it blazing fast.
Thanks Kosmo, might go with the second build then if that’s the case!

Yes, switch to the K instead of KF. That would be my only change. What GPU are you planning to get?
Will do, I’ll probably go with build #2 that I listed which has the Inno3D GeForce RTX 4080 ICHILL X3 16GB. An extra $400 compared to the original build.

Out of curiosity, what’s the difference between the K and the KF?

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Thanks for the response mate.

Thanks Kosmo, might go with the second build then if that’s the case!

Will do, I’ll probably go with build #2 that I listed which has the Inno3D GeForce RTX 4080 ICHILL X3 16GB. An extra $400 compared to the original build.

Out of curiosity, what’s the difference between the K and the KF?
The K model has an internal GPU. You hope you never need it, but its a life saver if you have GPU troubles.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I am looking for a Hard drive to use strictly as backup storage to store videos (don't ask!) and backup games. Therefore reliability is key and performance is secondary.

ANy idea what type of HDD I am looking for. NAS? Enterprise? Please respond only if you legit know?

rsouzadk

As far as i can tell you, the only real big diff will be the gpu itself.

As this gen goes on, i would chosse the one with 4080 because the extra vram. It seems 16GB will be pretty standard for modern games on highest settings.

And if you can, avoid gigabyte psus. Try corsair/seasonic.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I am looking for a Hard drive to use strictly as backup storage to store videos (don't ask!) and backup games. Therefore reliability is key and performance is secondary.

ANy idea what type of HDD I am looking for. NAS? Enterprise? Please respond only if you legit know?
Depending on how much data you have, grab 2 of these:

or

You'll want to have 3 copies of your data - 1 copy on your main computer (the data you use on a day to day basis) and then a backup on each of your two external drives.

You can also read about the 3-2-1 backup strategy if you want to get more secure.

Last edited:

Yerd

Probably NAS drive.

I haven't bought a HDD for many years. The last drives I bought were 2x 6tb, and I was planning on buying a NAS, and never did. I don't think there are any actual mechanical differences in most drives. The MTBF is higher. That's really the only difference in these drives. Higher MTBF means longer life. I am not a hard drive doctor.

I currently have:

i7 9700k (overclocked)
32 GB RAM
3070 Ti
Gigabyte Aorus pro z390

I was thinking of upgrading to i7 13700k and DDR5 memory. Think I should hold off another generation? I game fine other than with Raytracing on

StereoVsn

or

You'll want to have 3 copies of your data - 1 copy on your main computer (the data you use on a day to day basis) and then a backup on each of your two external drives.

You can also read about the 3-2-1 backup strategy if you want to get more secure.
He is asking for NAS drive. These aren't it. Good point on multiple copies though. Having a copy off-site in cloud service is a good idea in general...but not the only copy.

Needs Seagate IronWolf (and Pro) or WD Red NAS (or Pro). With WD got to be careful not to get an SMR drive though.

Celcius

°Temp. member
He is asking for NAS drive. These aren't it. Good point on multiple copies though. Having a copy off-site in cloud service is a good idea in general...but not the only copy.

Needs Seagate IronWolf (and Pro) or WD Red NAS (or Pro). With WD got to be careful not to get an SMR drive though.
He says "NAS?" with a question mark because he doesn't know what he needs/wants... he just wants to back up his data.
These will do the job fine (I use them myself for backups). I assume he's looking for an external drive but if not then you're right, a NAS drive would be the way to go.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

I currently have:

i7 9700k (overclocked)
32 GB RAM
3070 Ti
Gigabyte Aorus pro z390

I was thinking of upgrading to i7 13700k and DDR5 memory. Think I should hold off another generation? I game fine other than with Raytracing on
I would consider maybe a video card upgrade instead if you want to be able to do RT really well.

Bojji

I currently have:

i7 9700k (overclocked)
32 GB RAM
3070 Ti
Gigabyte Aorus pro z390

8GB of VRAM is potentially killing your RT performance. RT taxes CPU and adds more VRAM usage. Changing CPU will help you a lot in some games but so would GPU with more memory.

For example Hogwarts legacy require a lot of VRAM and powerful CPU to run above 60 with RT on (not to mention GPU fast enough to render it).

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

or

Those are like literally the most unreliable and crappy of all options.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
How is a 4070 for 4K/60 1440p/144 paired with a powerful CPU? Or would I need a 4080 to be safe? 4090 is out of the question.
There is quite a cost and performance gap between a 4070 and 4080. The 4070 Ti falls between those in terms of cost and is quite a bit better than the 4070. The 6950XT is a much better value than anyone of those,

Anyone hear about a recent windows 11 update that set processor cores to 1 accidentally? I’ve been suffering from stuttering in games after I updated my Nvidia drivers for my 3090 (paired with a 7800x3d) but someone on Reddit said this about the recent W11 update and I looked and I did actually download an update a few days ago when I started noticing these performance issues. He said go to Msconfig, select boot tab, select advanced options, select number of processor cores and max it out. Mine was set to 1. I changed it to 16. Haven’t done much testing but just played a couple matches of warzone and it felt smooth as butter. Didn’t experience any stuttering.

GreatnessRD

I think I am going to get a Ryzen 5 5600 and a 6600XT for Starfield (1080p60fps goal). No way my FX-8370 and RX480 could play it.
This'll be a solid, budget friendly option. If you don't mind open box options, sometimes Amazon has 6700 XT's for around $250. I purchased one and haven't had a problem. You'll get an extra 15% in performance for around the same monies as a new 6600/6650 XT.

Pandemic

As far as i can tell you, the only real big diff will be the gpu itself.

As this gen goes on, i would chosse the one with 4080 because the extra vram. It seems 16GB will be pretty standard for modern games on highest settings.

And if you can, avoid gigabyte psus. Try corsair/seasonic.

Thanks for your response mate.

Any reason to avoid Gigabyte for the PSU? Appreciate the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom