• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2023. 6-24 Cores, Frame Generation, Enhanced Ray Tracing & Direct Storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bojji

I wanted to wait until starfield (can't stand 30fps no more) to decide what gpu to buy but after playing remnant2 on xsx i feel like i don't want to wait anymore and compromise so heavily on the framerate side.... i know that it is simply a not really well optimized game but still everything that came to console and pc and have problems (remnant, jedi, etc) has way less problem on pc than console (let's say a "technical mess" game is bad everywhere) and august/september has some really nice games that i'd like to play on pc vs console (bg3, starfield, city skyline2)... anyway... i was set on buying a 7900xt (mainly for the vram), but since i play on a 1440p monitor and i don't really mind highfps in the hundreds (i have a 144hz vrr monitor but i just want stable 60fps used to cap everything at 72fps and pump up the graphics) a couple of friends swayed me on a 4070ti (mainly for dlss) or a 4070 (if you don't mind conceding fps), or a 6950xt (untill they last). I plan to leave console space and keep playing on pc going forward so i will probably update again when next gen console will be out or when i find a decent offer (2026 at earliest) so the prices i found in italy are the following:
- 4070 600€
- 6950xt 670€
- 4070ti 800€
- 7900xt 900€
Money is not really a "problem" but i hate to overspend and if i spend less i usually feel less guilty if i upgrade sooner :) also the combo 5800x3d plus a 4070 would cost me the same as 7900xt (rocking a 5600x now)... so any suggestion.. i know i posted a similar question some time ago, but september is around the corner, and i think will we have another gpu shortage soon, ai tech is gobbling up everything they can.

Thanks!

not really, had both in the past, not really sold on rt (but i must say didn't had a rt capable gpu in the past or a game where it made a real difference). Nvidia seems way more mature sw side (dlss in primis) and less power hungry, amd offer better raster perf but fsr3 is still nowhere to be seen (and on bg3 dlss seems way superior to fsr). Resale value seems to favor nvidia, but amd is cheaper so in the end they're similar... short story.. no i don't REALLY have a preference... other than i'd prefer a silent card if possible (i play with headphones but not always)

I switched from 5600X to 5800x3D and difference is significant in CPU demanding games. I also have RTX 4070.

4070: good price, performance ratio and 12GB of VRAM (potentialy limiting in the future)
6950xt: good price, performance ratio and good amount of VRAM, with typical AMD minuses (no DLSS3, DLSS) and weak RT
4070 ti: NOT GOOD P/P ratio, it's over 20% stronger than 4070 but has the same amount of VRAM, I don't think it's a good buy
7900XT: the best GPU of them all, good RT performance but all AMD minuses are here. Massive amounts of VRAM

If you could find 7900XT cheaper is would be the best.

I switched between Nvidia and AMD GPUs in recent months (5700XT, 3060Ti, 6800, 4070) and I think that I just can't live without DLSS, good RT performance is a bonus.

draliko

I switched from 5600X to 5800x3D and difference is significant in CPU demanding games. I also have RTX 4070.

4070: good price, performance ratio and 12GB of VRAM (potentialy limiting in the future)
6950xt: good price, performance ratio and good amount of VRAM, with typical AMD minuses (no DLSS3, DLSS) and weak RT
4070 ti: NOT GOOD P/P ratio, it's over 20% stronger than 4070 but has the same amount of VRAM, I don't think it's a good buy
7900XT: the best GPU of them all, good RT performance but all AMD minuses are here. Massive amounts of VRAM

I switched between Nvidia and AMD GPUs in recent months (5700XT, 3060Ti, 6800, 4070) and I think that I just can't live without DLSS, good RT performance is a bonus.
thanks, gonna search a bit more even if i prefer buying directly from amazon, their customer service is worth the extra considering in italy we don't really have something a la newegg with heavy discounts and similar. The combo 4070+5800x3d sounds more attractive every minute, with a 4070 at 1440p 60 target i should be fine untile next console gen (without rt, or with light rt considering what an actual console pack as a gpu), this way i could eventually sell the xbox and keep the ps5 for the kids

StereoVsn

Yeah, in US at least you can catch 7900XT for about $750 on sale and 7900 XTX for $900 (sometimes even less). So these would make a lot more sense from that side.

I would try to grab 7900xt in that budget envelope. BG3 is working on FSR 2 support, Starfield will have that, etc... RT is going to suffer some though. Still in comparison to 4070ti this should be a more future proof card with the VRAM amount.

draliko

Yeah, in US at least you can catch 7900XT for about $750 on sale and 7900 XTX for $900 (sometimes even less). So these would make a lot more sense from that side.

I would try to grab 7900xt in that budget envelope. BG3 is working on FSR 2 support, Starfield will have that, etc... RT is going to suffer some though. Still in comparison to 4070ti this should be a more future proof card with the VRAM amount.
i found a legit shop that has the 7900xt for 810€ and the 7900xtx for 910€ a bit more reasonable, instead i can't find a 4070ti for less than 800€ and a 4070 for less than 600€

StereoVsn

i found a legit shop that has the 7900xt for 810€ and the 7900xtx for 910€ a bit more reasonable, instead i can't find a 4070ti for less than 800€ and a 4070 for less than 600€
Those sound like a much better deal vs Nvidia side. And FSR 3 is rumored to finally hit in September. Now as how it will work, nobody knows 😅.

Vognerful

quick question but what should I be looking at when comparing these cards performances when it comes to VR?

also, if Nvidia has cuda cores, what does AMD call theirs and how do they perform against each other?

Bojji

quick question but what should I be looking at when comparing these cards performances when it comes to VR?

also, if Nvidia has cuda cores, what does AMD call theirs and how do they perform against each other?

Nvidia is better with VR but how much I don't know. Overall performance scaling should be the same as with standard rendering, faster card should have more frames but I don't know how much AMD vs. Nvidia drivers would change things.

CUDA are just shaders cores, AMD is doing the same thing but most software is designed for Nvidia solution.

Vognerful

Nvidia is better with VR but how much I don't know. Overall performance scaling should be the same as with standard rendering, faster card should have more frames but I don't know how much AMD vs. Nvidia drivers would change things.

CUDA are just shaders cores, AMD is doing the same thing but most software is designed for Nvidia solution.

thanks man, appreciate it!

Vognerful

Hi all,

any idea what new or relatively recent ITX motherboards that I should keep my eye on if I want to upgrade my setup? affordable but with good amount of features would be great (amd or intel doesn't matter)

Pandemic

Yeah that's it. You're just swapping the monitor/cable to see if it's the monitor/cable causing it as a process of elimination. If you swap it out and it's still happening then it's probably the PC.

Generally if you're having display/cable issues then swapping them out without turning off is fine but in this situation you might need to restart if the issue is happening when you turn the PC on. I had some monitor issues myself yesterday and usually swapping the cables out works but I had to turn my PC off completely then swap it over for it to work again.

edit: if you need more help then this could help further troubleshooting:

When you're not getting any display do you still have audio? Do you hear the Windows start up noise or anything?

Also, when you're not getting display are any LEDs lit on your motherboard. On your particular motherboard (if you went with the z90 gaming x ax) i'm talking about the LEDs located to the bottom right of your RAM slots as highlighted here:

rqBXk83.jpg

I'll have a look out for this once I get the computer returned. Thank you mate for your help, appreciate it! Frustrating situation given the money that's gone into the PC.

I had a similar issue on my PC, where the GPU wouldn't initilize. There seemed to be a weird issue with my Samsung Monitor and my GPU.

The way to overcome that issue, is that I would press the menu button on my monitor to wake it up and then the system would boot normally. Makes zero sense, but thats the solution.

Interesting, I'll give that a crack. Thank you mate. I'll see what the business suggests aswell, hopefully they have a good idea.

Ok... I am going to ask about upgrading in a slightly different way. Sorry for sort of double posting. Looking for new advice!

For purely gaming purposes, should I upgrade processor, memory, and MB or just the video card and stick with my current hardware?​

For games like star wars: survivor, COD, Battlefield etc... My monitor is a 32" at 1440p resolution. Framerates are good. What route should I upgrade to?

My current setup:
i7 9700k 3070ti Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro MB 32 GB RAM DDR 4

Route 1
Upgrade MB, RAM and processor. I'm looking to get the Ryzen 7800X3D processor, DDR5, and a decent MB. I'll try to upgrade video card around X-mas time.

Route 2
Keep current parts and upgrade 3070Ti to either a 4070Ti or 4080

Route 3
Don't upgrade anything yet. Wait for the next generation.

Last edited:

amigastar

Ok... I am going to ask about upgrading in a slightly different way. Sorry for sort of double posting. Looking for new advice!

For purely gaming purposes, should I upgrade processor, memory, and MB or just the video card and stick with my current hardware?​

For games like star wars: survivor, COD, Battlefield etc... What route should I upgrade to?

My current setup:
i7 9700k 3070ti Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro MB 32 GB RAM DDR 4

Route 1
Upgrade MB, RAM and processor. I'm looking to get the Ryzen 7800X3D processor, DDR5, and a decent MB. I'll try to upgrade video card around X-mas time.

Route 2
Keep current parts and upgrade 3070Ti to either a 4070Ti or 4080

Route 3
Don't upgrade anything yet. Wait for the next generation.
I would go with Route 3, your PC isn't that bad honestly. Wait for 5000 series of Nvidia and maybe new Intel Processor. For the time of a new CPU your I7 9700k (which is the weakest part of your PC) will still hold up.
But let's wait what others have to say about your plans.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Not sure if it deserves its own thread but I'll post this here:

Tl;dr - Watch LTT for entertainment, not facts

I gave it its own thread because I know some do base their buying decisions on these guys and I admit I have referenced LTT videos here before but wont be outraged if Mods move it here

Just felt it needed more eyes on it and would eventually get lost here

Pandemic

I'll have a look out for this once I get the computer returned. Thank you mate for your help, appreciate it! Frustrating situation given the money that's gone into the PC.

Interesting, I'll give that a crack. Thank you mate. I'll see what the business suggests aswell, hopefully they have a good idea.
Going to pick up my PC and intend on purchasing a new monitor, a more purpose built gaming monitor that will hopefully resolve the issue I'm having with my PC. If it doesn't it'd be safe to presume it's the PC itself.

I'm currently looking at the Samsung Odyssey G5 G51C 32in QHD 165HZ/1MS Gaming Monitor or the LG UltraGear 31.5in QHD IPS 144Hz G-Sync Gaming Monitor?

Anyone able to recommend either?

Thanks guys.

I'm a little confused, do i have to enable DLSS 2 also, when enabling DLSS 3? As seen in this Benchmark.
dlss-hogwarts.png
DLSS 2 + (Frame Gen + Low Latency) = DLSS 3.

Frame Generation is essentially what makes the difference between version 2 and 3. 2000 + 3000 cards can use DLSS and Low Latency so the version it runs is DLSS 2. 4000 cards can do Frame Generation so the version they use is DLSS 3.

The native bar is native 4K.
DLSS 2 Quality: only has DLSS enabled.
DLSS 3 FG: only has FG enabled (no DLSS, i think).
DLSS 3 FG + DLSS 2 Quality: has both DLSS and FG enabled.

You can't pick between DLSS 2 or 3 because there isn't actually two different versions. All cards use DLSS 2 no matter what. Once you turn on Frame Generation (+ Low Latency) then it's called DLSS 3.

Last edited:

amigastar

Man, played Hitman 3 the other day and was getting 102 fps with Raytracing on with my RTX 4070 and I7 11700k at 1080p. Then enabled Frame Generation and was getting 164 fps. Thats really awesome.
I wonder how DLSS4 will look like, if you will need an RTX 5000 series card or an evolution of DLSS3.
Edit: Does anyone know a good GPU Benchmark tool which compares graphic cards, for free?

Last edited:

Rossco EZ

what time if the year do AMD release new cpu’s? thinking of moving to am5 once zen5 drops. think i will switch to nvidia gpu as well but 5000 series isn’t coming until 2025 right?

Buggy Loop

What about a list like this:

Think that would get the job done? and would I need to add anything else?

I just found an insane deal for that CPU

Holy shit

Rossco EZ

Last edited:

draliko

While waiting for the GPU delivery, I did the only sane thing one should do when getting back into pcmr... I brought a indie that will consume my life... Factorio😅🤣🤣 my OCD is already killing me😅🤣

Rossco EZ

K2D

Banned
So I am looking at gaming laptops ranging in high value budget.

First pick is a refurbished or demoed (supposedly grade A) MSI GE76, 1080p 17 inch with I7 11800 and a 3070. USD price would be something like $1300..

Question is whether I should go for this,

or take off 25% of the price and go for something with 6GB of VRAM @1080p, 15 inches,

or "splurge", add 20% and get something with 8gb@1440p, 15 inches...

(Both two alternatives are probably 12. gen i5's or similar)

Opinions?

Last edited:

twilo99

Just finished my "PS5 Pro Slayer" console for my main 4K TV:

Use Fractal Terra case but managed to fit in a 4080 GPU. Tiny system but powerful as shit! Tested Hitman 3, Baldur's Gate 3, Forza Horizon 5, Cyberpunk, etc. Set everything to 4K / 60 FPS. Ready for Starfield.

4m2KA9t.jpg
frC2YAp.jpg
9X1oazU.jpg

Beautiful.

Rest of specs? How are the noise levels?

Also... PS5 "pro" won't be at this level of performance, maybe PS6

GreatnessRD

So I am looking at gaming laptops ranging in high value budget.

First pick is a refurbished or demoed (supposedly grade A) MSI GE76, 1080p 17 inch with I7 11800 and a 3070. USD price would be something like $1300..

Question is whether I should go for this,

or take off 25% of the price and go for something with 6GB of VRAM @1080p, 15 inches,

or "splurge", add 20% and get something with 8gb@1440p, 15 inches...

Opinions?
Where are you located because those prices sound so gross. You got stuff on Best Buy right now that's better than all your options. I seen an MSI Crosshair with a 13th gen i7 and 4070 for $1299.

I'm thinking of getting a 3060Ti for an upcoming budget build, would you recommend it?

draliko

I Lost one glass side panel scre of my pure base 500dx... Be quiet asked me 20€ shipping included for 4 screws of a case I paid 100€... Fuck them... This will be my last bequiet case...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom