• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2023. 6-24 Cores, Frame Generation, Enhanced Ray Tracing & Direct Storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreatnessRD

I Lost one glass side panel scre of my pure base 500dx... Be quiet asked me 20€ shipping included for 4 screws of a case I paid 100€... Fuck them... This will be my last bequiet case...
Damn, that's fucked up. I love my Be Quiet case and hate that, that's how they're treating you. Real lame shit.

I'd go on twitter and complaint. For whatever reason these days, companies are quick fire when you @ them on social media to fix shit.

Last edited:

draliko

Damn, that's fucked up. I love my Be Quiet case and hate that, that's how they're treating you. Real lame shit.

I'd go on twitter and complaint. For whatever reason these days, companies are quick fire when you @ them on social media to fix shit.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't care enough sincerely 😅 I thought it was nice to let you guys know about it, but it's not the end of the world, I will simply move away from be quiet towards better businesses

Bojji

I'm thinking of getting a 3060Ti for an upcoming budget build, would you recommend it?

If you target 1440p at most then yeah, but you have to be careful with VRAM in games, no rt in new games and textures lower than max (usually, some games will have lower VRAM demands). If you can manage VRAM this GPU is still very good, it's not as cut down as 4060ti.

I had 3070 3 years ago and 3060ti recently for few months, it's not enough for 4k (like I used it with dlss) but should be good enough for lower resolutions.

K2D

Banned
The cheapest I could find was $1740. That might indeed be a better second option at +30 percent.

Edit: Meh, I was only considering the second option for the better screen. Not so hot for the slight upgrade in processing power..

Have to take into account exchange rate and high consumer rights law in my country (5 years protection on computers by law).

Where are you located because those prices sound so gross. You got stuff on Best Buy right now that's better than all your options. I seen an MSI Crosshair with a 13th gen i7 and 4070 for $1299.

The cheapest I could find was $1740. That might indeed be a better second option at +30 percent.

Edit: Meh, I was only considering the second option for the better screen. Not so hot for the slight upgrade in processing power..

Have to take into account exchange rate and high consumer rights law in my country (5 years protection on computers by law).

Last edited:
If you target 1440p at most then yeah, but you have to be careful with VRAM in games, no rt in new games and textures lower than max (usually, some games will have lower VRAM demands). If you can manage VRAM this GPU is still very good, it's not as cut down as 4060ti.

I had 3070 3 years ago and 3060ti recently for few months, it's not enough for 4k (like I used it with dlss) but should be good enough for lower resolutions.
Great, thanks. Yeah, I’ll be going 1140 so sounds like a good option for me. I’ll give it a go!

Bojji

Great, thanks. Yeah, I’ll be going 1140 so sounds like a good option for me. I’ll give it a go!

If the price is similar where you live you can look for 6700XT. It is very close in performance overall but it won't be VRAM limited in new games so you can max out textures etc.

It's weaker in RT and don't have DLSS (only FSR and XeSS) but I would say it's a better buy (if prices are close).

If the price is similar where you live you can look for 6700XT. It is very close in performance overall but it won't be VRAM limited in new games so you can max out textures etc.

It's weaker in RT and don't have DLSS (only FSR and XeSS) but I would say it's a better buy (if prices are close).
I was looking at some builds with the 6700XT but the recent DLSS3.5 news had me leaning toward 3060Ti ... plus I've always gone Nvidia. I might do another check of the prices.

draliko

I don't think one should consider RT until you s go for a 3080ti+ level of performance card, I'm not for framerate under 60 to see some fancy lighting 😅 imho

Bojji

I was looking at some builds with the 6700XT but the recent DLSS3.5 news had me leaning toward 3060Ti ... plus I've always gone Nvidia. I might do another check of the prices.

Yeah Nvidia has some great tech witch dlss and (imo the best) reflex. Problem with 8gb cards is that you probably won't be able to even turn on RT to avoid stuttering in new games (and only new games will support dlss 3.5).

4060ti and 3060ti have very similar performance and you can see that even (weaker) 3060 can outperform in thanks to 12gb of VRAM in some games. And even if franerate looks ok there is constant stuttering on frame time graph.

I get why you want Nvidia card but in this price point but if you want to play new games you will see this VRAM limitation from day one.

Sleepwalker

Built a new PC, tried to get fancy cloning my other PC's boot drive. It really did not go well. All that time wasted to end up with a fresh install lol

Yeah Nvidia has some great tech witch dlss and (imo the best) reflex. Problem with 8gb cards is that you probably won't be able to even turn on RT to avoid stuttering in new games (and only new games will support dlss 3.5).

4060ti and 3060ti have very similar performance and you can see that even (weaker) 3060 can outperform in thanks to 12gb of VRAM in some games. And even if franerate looks ok there is constant stuttering on frame time graph.

I get why you want Nvidia card but in this price point but if you want to play new games you will see this VRAM limitation from day one.

Awesome. Thanks for the heads up. Really appreciate it!

GreatnessRD

Built a new PC, tried to get fancy cloning my other PC's boot drive. It really did not go well. All that time wasted to end up with a fresh install lol
I always fresh install. Saves the hassle. I know people have success migrating it over to their new builds and upgrades, but with a USB drive, Windows take like 10 mins at best these days to install.

NewYork214

I am clueless to building PCs, but am interested in upgrading or building a new one. All of this is gibberish to me atm, but just starting my research. I bought this prebuilt Asus back in like 2016. would you guys recommend upgrading or starting fresh. im gonna deep dive into learning all I need to know today, starting with the OP. dont need crazy details, not trying to be lazy. just some basic input to get me started if ya wouldn't mind. assuming im leaving out some important tech stuff.

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70GHz 2.70 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB ddr4
GPU- Geforce gtx 1060 6GB
1TB hdd, 512 SSD

Current PC - bestbuy link to pc i have now.

Bojji

I am clueless to building PCs, but am interested in upgrading or building a new one. All of this is gibberish to me atm, but just starting my research. I bought this prebuilt Asus back in like 2016. would you guys recommend upgrading or starting fresh. im gonna deep dive into learning all I need to know today, starting with the OP. dont need crazy details, not trying to be lazy. just some basic input to get me started if ya wouldn't mind. assuming im leaving out some important tech stuff.

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70GHz 2.70 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB ddr4
GPU- Geforce gtx 1060 6GB
1TB hdd, 512 SSD

Current PC - bestbuy link to pc i have now.

You need to build new one.

Right new the best/cheapest base for PC is AMD 7600 + cheap AM5 MB + 32GB DDR5

GPU depends on your budget and needs (1080p, 1440p, 4k etc.)

With something like 6700XT or better you should have good gaming performance.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
You need to build new one.

Right new the best/cheapest base for PC is AMD 7600 + cheap AM5 MB + 32GB DDR5

GPU depends on your budget and needs (1080p, 1440p, 4k etc.)

With something like 6700XT or better you should have good gaming performance.
I second this. Not sure a 7600 is necessary, but it WILL keep the options open for future CPU upgrades.

The 6700XT is still currently the best bang for buck GPU.

If nvidia does indeed drop the price of the 4060 and 4060 Ti then those might be considerations.

Audiophile

Built this system for my dad for £2K flat, 6 wks ago:

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X 4.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
Asus DUAL OC GeForce RTX 4070 12 GB Video Card

MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard

G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL28 Memory [F5-5600J2834F16GX2-TZ5NR]

Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive

Fractal Design Lumen S28 RGB V2 78 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
ARCTIC MX-6 Thermal Paste

Fractal Design Meshify 2 RGB ATX Mid Tower Case
SeaSonic FOCUS GX 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

ViewSonic XG2705-2K OMNI 27.0" 2560 x 1440 144 Hz Monitor
Logitech G213 PRODIGY RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Logitech G402 Wired Optical Mouse

Had all these demanding games in his library and added some new ones too, also wanted to be set up well for games coming in the next few years while also being a fully upgradeable platform for the rest of the decade.

Ended up spending the last month playing Russian Fishing 4 exclusively. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Sleepwalker

Made a new build

MSI MAG b650 wifi
7800x3d
32gb DDR5 6000mhz XPG
4080 zotac
1tb sn850x

Completed everything, hooked it all up, went to post, no boot. Solid red and yellow light on MOBO (CPU, RAM) reseated RAM and made sure they were in the correct slots (they were), tried with 1 stick only, nada. Reseated GPU and went through the RAM sticks again, still nothing. I updated BIOS via USB flash to the latest version so that shouldn't be an issue. I inspected for bent pins but it looked alright to me (not an expert).

Currently unplugged everything, including CMOS battery and will try again in 15 minutes... Will have to get a new motherboard if it doesn't post, then a new CPU and so on and so forth. Fuck my life lol.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Made a new build

MSI MAG b650 wifi
7800x3d
32gb DDR5 6000mhz XPG
4080 zotac
1tb sn850x

Completed everything, hooked it all up, went to post, no boot. Solid red and yellow light on MOBO (CPU, RAM) reseated RAM and made sure they were in the correct slots (they were), tried with 1 stick only, nada. Reseated GPU and went through the RAM sticks again, still nothing. I updated BIOS via USB flash to the latest version so that shouldn't be an issue. I inspected for bent pins but it looked alright to me (not an expert).

Currently unplugged everything, including CMOS battery and will try again in 15 minutes... Will have to get a new motherboard if it doesn't post, then a new CPU and so on and so forth. Fuck my life lol.
Its honestly why I stopped building my own, good luck

Sleepwalker

Its honestly why I stopped building my own, good luck

I'm still not that jaded because I haven't been built many but this one has been a pain in the ass, I just started a motherboard return with amazon and they will be exchanging it with a different motherboard of my choosing. (not sure if asus or gigabyte). Hopefully it's that and not the CPU, id be gutted for my 7800x3d to be a lemon.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I'm still not that jaded because I haven't been built many but this one has been a pain in the ass, I just started a motherboard return with amazon and they will be exchanging it with a different motherboard of my choosing. (not sure if asus or gigabyte). Hopefully it's that and not the CPU, id be gutted for my 7800x3d to be a lemon.
I have built several over the years and had one that was just a demon to get running right. Plus made the mistake of building one for an uncle many years ago and he thought it came with lifetime support as everything that happened to it he called me

I have just hit a point in my life I would rather not bother with it even though have had some stinker prebuilts as well

Sleepwalker

I have built several over the years and had one that was just a demon to get running right. Plus made the mistake of building one for an uncle many years ago and he thought it came with lifetime support as everything that happened to it he called me

I have just hit a point in my life I would rather not bother with it even though have had some stinker prebuilts as well

The good thing about handing the responsibility to someone else is that they are liable for it when it craps out lol, so on that side it's a much better move for sure.

Sleepwalker

Upon further inspection I don't think it's the mobo but rather the 7800X3D is a lemon. I have not manhandled it or forced it at all, treated with gloves basically. But inspecting lower side I came across this

jeeGZXJ.png

I think I might be SOL, and I made the dumb mistake of buying it at best buy who won't let me return it because it's opened. I will try but it'll be the last time I buy from them if it's not allowed.

I got a new mobo coming tuesday, so fingers crossed it's actually the mobo.

Last edited:

peish

Upon further inspection I don't think it's the mobo but rather the 7800X3D is a lemon. I have not manhandled it or forced it at all, treated with gloves basically. But inspecting lower side I came across this

jeeGZXJ.png

I think I might be SOL, and I made the dumb mistake of buying it at best buy who won't let me return it because it's opened. I will try but it'll be the last time I buy from them if it's not allowed.

I got a new mobo coming tuesday, so fingers crossed it's actually the mobo.

So this some one returned cpu? that looks GG, you can try wipe with alcohol. You cant return to best buy since it looks defective?

Last resort is to rma with Amd

Sleepwalker

So this some one returned cpu? that looks GG, you can try wipe with alcohol. You cant return to best buy since it looks defective?

Last resort is to rma with Amd
No, best buy canada has a scummy policy where they don't let you return computer components once you open them. I bought it brand new.

I will go to the store tomorrow and try to return it anyway, if not ill have to RMA with amd. Massive pain in the ass.

Raphael

Eh, dont go with less than 12 vram. You might hate it a year from now.

4070 is the cheapest nVidia card that makes sense. If you cant stretch the budget go with 6700xt or wait for benchmarks of 7700 and 7800.

Hopefully a. they will make the 4070 go down on price and/or b. Maybe fsr 3 catches up to dlss 3 and AMD will be the way to go.

bbeach123

As someone who had 3070 8G I say dont , either 4070 or 3080 . Or 6700xt for cheaper option .

My ray tracing experience on the 3070 has been...Not great . I mean on average it was playable , but there are drop , suddenly drop to 2x or 3x fps from 50-60fps for a few seconds then going back to 60 . Not happen all the time , you often wont see it on benchmark too , but when you're playing it will be happen once in a while , and its freaking annoying .

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
No, best buy canada has a scummy policy where they don't let you return computer components once you open them. I bought it brand new.

I will go to the store tomorrow and try to return it anyway, if not ill have to RMA with amd. Massive pain in the ass.
They will surely allow you to exchange it.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Have I ever mentioned how done I was with building my own because of how much of a pain it can be?

Really sucks BB has that policy there hopefully they let you exchange it

GreatnessRD

Have I ever mentioned how done I was with building my own because of how much of a pain it can be?

Really sucks BB has that policy there hopefully they let you exchange it
Building is so much fun. This day and age *MOST* of the time it is user error when things go sour. It's really adult legos now, lol.

And Best Buy Canada sounds like 100% trash. They'd have to call the cops on me if I'm spending $400 for some shit that don't work and they give me a hard time. We gon' tussle for sure.

amigastar

Built this system for my dad for £2K flat, 6 wks ago:

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X 4.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
Asus DUAL OC GeForce RTX 4070 12 GB Video Card

MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard

G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL28 Memory [F5-5600J2834F16GX2-TZ5NR]

Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive

Fractal Design Lumen S28 RGB V2 78 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
ARCTIC MX-6 Thermal Paste

Fractal Design Meshify 2 RGB ATX Mid Tower Case
SeaSonic FOCUS GX 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

ViewSonic XG2705-2K OMNI 27.0" 2560 x 1440 144 Hz Monitor
Logitech G213 PRODIGY RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Logitech G402 Wired Optical Mouse

Had all these demanding games in his library and added some new ones too, also wanted to be set up well for games coming in the next few years while also being a fully upgradeable platform for the rest of the decade.

Ended up spending the last month playing Russian Fishing 4 exclusively. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Nice system, I don't know much about AMD hardware but the 4070 is something i chose also.

Quick question, currently I have a Ryzen 5 3600 and a RTX 3060 ti.

Would it be worth upgrading my CPU? I currently go between my 1440p/165 monitor and my LG C2 so 1440p & 4K resolution.

GreatnessRD

Would it be worth upgrading my CPU? I currently go between my 1440p/165 monitor and my LG C2 so 1440p & 4K resolution.
I think moving to a 5600x would be a nice upgrade for the single core performance. 5800X3D if you wanted to put a bow on your AM4 upgrade.

Sleepwalker

New board and RAM came today,

Tested new RAM in old board, no boot.

Swapped everything to new board and tested with new RAM

20230829-150250.jpg

We got a post first try!!

I'm not gonna mess around anymore with it so old board (which was the culprit) and old ram are going to be returned.

Sleepwalker

I upgraded my wife's PC from a 3600xt + 2080s to a 5900x + 2080s and she got a very nice uplift in performance for productivity tasks (shes a UI designer). Gaming also got a decent bump.

I would recommend waiting for a deal on a 5800x3d and riding that out for the console generation, maybe with a gpu upgrade down the line.

I think moving to a 5600x would be a nice upgrade for the single core performance. 5800X3D if you wanted to put a bow on your AM4 upgrade.
I upgraded my wife's PC from a 3600xt + 2080s to a 5900x + 2080s and she got a very nice uplift in performance for productivity tasks (shes a UI designer). Gaming also got a decent bump.

I would recommend waiting for a deal on a 5800x3d and riding that out for the console generation, maybe with a gpu upgrade down the line.
Follow up for both of you lads.

I forgot to mention that I’m using a ITX build in a Lian li Dan A4 case so I’m not sure if that’s makes a difference with what I can get away with.

OverHeat

« generous god »
New board and RAM came today,

Tested new RAM in old board, no boot.

Swapped everything to new board and tested with new RAM

20230829-150250.jpg

We got a post first try!!

I'm not gonna mess around anymore with it so old board (which was the culprit) and old ram are going to be returned.
Zotac 4090?

Sleepwalker

Follow up for both of you lads.

I forgot to mention that I’m using a ITX build in a Lian li Dan A4 case so I’m not sure if that’s makes a difference with what I can get away with.

For the CPU upgrade there shouldn't be a problem really. For the GPU you just need to take the measurements of your case into account when upgrading. the RTX 40 series are huge size wise so I had to make some changes in my build to accomodate for example. But the 4070 has a lesser profile, I think it will be fine most likely when it comes to size vs upgrade. Specially if you want to wait for the 50 series.

Zotac 4090?
Zotac 4080 my friend, found a good deal on prime days on amazon.ca. I wanted the 4090 but the FE was never in stock at best buy. For now it performs really well so I'm happy to pocket the 1k in savings :)

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter

A faster CPU is gonna be a big help when you're trying to hit those 100+ frame rates, or for certain really CPU hungry titles like Cyberpunk, Flight Simulator, or (from the sounds of it) Starfield.

For 4K/60Hz scenarios, it's gonna matter a lot less because you're more likely to be GPU bound, and your frames are capped.

rnlval

RX 7800 XT vs RTX 4070 with test in 7 Games.

With RX 7800 XT 16GB's arrival at about $499 USD (ref 1), both RTX 4060 Ti 16 GB and RTX 4070 12 GB are waste of silicon.

Reference
1. https://www.anandtech.com/show/2003...700-xt-enthusiastclass-rdna3-for-1440p-gaming

Last edited:

rnlval

I doubt this test is real but yeah, 7800XT is better value than 4070.

RTX 4070 is similar to RX 6800 XT. RX 7800 XT's performance is superior when compared to RX 6800 XT.

rnlval

nope. no DLSS.
VRAM affects 3D games' fundamental artwork.

Read https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/agility-sdk-1-711/ for Microsoft's Agility SDK v1.711.3 preview (Jun 2023)'s recent update for Wave Matrix feature support for DirectX12's HLSL.

Wave Matrix

GPUs and compute devices have begun adding dedicated silicon to their hardware to support matrix multiplication at higher bandwidths for usage in machine learning and imaging applications. To allow access to this dedicated silicon, HLSL is adding Wave Matrix instructions to the language, also known as Wave Matrix Multiply Accumulate (WaveMMA). This addition defines several new abstract Wave Matrix data types, which allows the underlying hardware to store, rearrange, and duplicate data across all threads in a wave.

Microsoft's recent DirectX12 update feature corresponds to AMD's RDNA 3 discrete Wave MMA (matrix multiply-accumulate) instructions and NVIDIA's discrete Tensor cores.

For the AI ecosystem, Microsoft has other directions e.g. DirectML and DirectX12's Wave Matrix instructions with HLSL update which has multiple hardware source support.

DLSS is proprietary like 3DFX's Glide API.

Last edited:

Bojji

nope. no DLSS.

Dlss is amazing but 7800XT will be slighty faster and 100$ cheaper, plus 16GB of memory.

RTX 4070 is similar to RX 6800 XT. RX 7800 XT's performance is superior when compared to RX 6800 XT.

We don't know that really, 7800XT is overclocked 6800, it has less CUs than XT bit higher clocks. We will see how that goes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom