• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2023. 6-24 Cores, Frame Generation, Enhanced Ray Tracing & Direct Storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rnlval

Dlss is amazing but 7800XT will be slighty faster and 100$ cheaper, plus 16GB of memory.

We don't know that really, 7800XT is overclocked 6800, it has less CUs than XT bit higher clocks. We will see how that goes.
RDNA 3 CU has double the FLOPS that is backed by 7800 XT's 620.8 GB/s memory bandwidth. https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-7800-xt.c3839

6800 XT has 512 GB/s memory bandwidth. There's a 21% memory bandwidth uplift. At 4K, memory bandwidth is a major factor.

Furthermore, RDNA 3 has native support for Shader Model 6.8's Wave MMA (matrix multiply-accumulate) feature which is Microsoft's official tensor math feature for HLSL.

At 4K, the gap between RX 6950 XT and RX 7900 XTX is largely influenced by memory bandwidth. Core overclock is nearly useless without a corresponding memory bandwidth increase and RX 7800 XT has a memory bandwidth increase.

RX 7700 XT beats RX 6800 (non-XT) in Time Spy.

Last edited:

amigastar

I have a question.
Can i use a 4k monitor with full hd resolution since my graphics cards is not fast enough for 4k? Is the image quality much worse with full hd on a 4k monitor?
Or should i just buy a Full HD monitor?

Last edited:

Bojji

RDNA 3 CU has double the FLOPS that is backed by 7800 XT's 620.8 GB/s memory bandwidth. https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-7800-xt.c3839

6800 XT has 512 GB/s memory bandwidth. There's a 21% memory bandwidth uplift. At 4K, memory bandwidth is a major factor.

Furthermore, RDNA 3 has native support for Shader Model 6.8's Wave MMA (matrix multiply-accumulate) feature which is Microsoft's official tensor math feature for HLSL.

At 4K, the gap between RX 6950 XT and RX 7900 XTX is largely influenced by memory bandwidth. Core overclock is nearly useless without a corresponding memory bandwidth increase and RX 7800 XT has a memory bandwidth increase.

RX 7700 XT beats RX 6800 (non-XT) in Time Spy.

It's just benchmark. We will see real world performance when GPUs will launch.

I have a question.
Can i use a 4k monitor with full hd resolution since my graphics cards is not fast enough for 4k? Is the image quality much worse with full hd on a 4k monitor?
Or should i just buy a Full HD monitor?

You can but it will look bad. Any GPU will render desktop so that will look nice but upscaled games will look worse than on native 1080 panel.

My suggestion is: go 1440p, you will future proof yourself and 1080p content on 1440p monitor isn't that bad (plus there is FSR, DLSS, etc.).

Needlecrash

Anyone have any good suggestions for an AM5 x670E motherboard? Been looking at a MSI x670 Tomahawk/Carbon but that ASRock Steel Legend, I hear, is VERY solid.

peish

Anyone have any good suggestions for an AM5 x670E motherboard? Been looking at a MSI x670 Tomahawk/Carbon but that ASRock Steel Legend, I hear, is VERY solid.

asus x670e gene. it is great to overclock ram by a bit more than the rest.

only draw back is as a matx board, the gpu pcie slot is closer, so if you have thicc gpu backplate, it may block installation.

oh seems the price went up due to demand

Last edited:

OverHeat

« generous god »
P5nZK7Y.jpg

Finally arrived!!!!

Just finished my "PS5 Pro Slayer" console for my main 4K TV:

Use Fractal Terra case but managed to fit in a 4080 GPU. Tiny system but powerful as shit! Tested Hitman 3, Baldur's Gate 3, Forza Horizon 5, Cyberpunk, etc. Set everything to 4K / 60 FPS. Ready for Starfield.

4m2KA9t.jpg
frC2YAp.jpg
9X1oazU.jpg

How difficult it is to build in this case? As I have mentioned in this thread, I've been eyeballing this case pretty hard. But I'm fairly worried since so far I've read about fitment issues with ram height and whatnot and also custom length modular cables - haven't really seen those here in Poland - so I'm worried about cable management. You're also pretty limited in choosing the air cooler.

So... After extensive research I now lean more towards Cooler Master NR200P (includes both mesh and glass side panel)- is fairly cheap, is slightly bigger but still Mini-ITX 18L case and might be more beginner friendly, since you can put the thing together in conventional manner without using the raiser cable on GPU - and also have a pretty decent cable management, I think. It can also sport 155mm cooler and a bunch of fans to maximize the airflow with mesh side panel and since it will be my first build in a while... Last PC I build was in 2011 - it gives me the feeling that I will actually put the thing in one evening with no surprises whatsoever. Instead of a couple days or a week.

But maaan, Terra looks so badass.

I second this. Not sure a 7600 is necessary, but it WILL keep the options open for future CPU upgrades.

The 6700XT is still currently the best bang for buck GPU.

If nvidia does indeed drop the price of the 4060 and 4060 Ti then those might be considerations.
That's the GPU I bought on sale. 6700XT 12GB Sapphire Pulse- felt like a best bang for buck GPU available right now. Still buying parts slowly, here and there- while gaming on my PS5.

And since I'm going SFF route. I long abandoned the idea of using Ryzen 7 5800x3d, I am leaning more towards AM5... So I was thinking about Ryzen 5 7600, since it has 65W TDP. It surely won't be a bad pick, won't it?

Last edited:
Building my first pc in 15 years. Kinda scary. Sold my game laptop which I had for a year that got me liking pc gaming.
Got the following :

I9 13900k
Asus Rog Strix rtx 4090
Asus Rog Z790-e gaming wifi motherboard
32gn G.Skill Trident ddr5 6400m/t
EKWB Nucleus aio Cr360 lux D-rgb watercooler
500 gb corsair mp600 pro and 2x 2tb Samsung 989 pro ssd's
MSI ai1300p psu
Corsair 5000D airflow case
4x ASUS tuff tf120 argb fans
Logitech G915 tkl keyboard.

Haven't got the case yet (will be delivered monday), but started on the motherboard and the aio. Kinda exciting I must say. Can't wait to build it.

Might dive into over clocking at one point in time. Or I might not.

Wish me luck.

Last edited:
How do I get alt tab while using windows borderless in a game to show me the windows 11 task bar? It only shows me what apps I currently have open. I want to use the task bar to open chrome for example while I’m gaming but can’t figure out how to do that.

Edit: nvm windows key does the trick .

Last edited:

amigastar

Just bought another 16 Gigs of RAM to my 16 Gigs of RAM i have now, so i will have 32 Gigabyte RAM. Will come in handy with programs like Zbrush, Photoshop etc.

Last edited:

MikeM

Building my first pc in 15 years. Kinda scary. Sold my game laptop which I had for a year that got me liking pc gaming.
Got the following :

I9 13900k
Asus Rog Strix rtx 4090
Asus Rog Z790-e gaming wifi motherboard
32gn G.Skill Trident ddr5 6400m/t
EKWB Nucleus aio Cr360 lux D-rgb watercooler
500 gb corsair mp600 pro and 2x 2tb Samsung 989 pro ssd's
MSI ai1300p psu
Corsair 5000D airflow case
4x ASUS tuff tf120 argb fans
Logitech G915 tkl keyboard.

Haven't got the case yet (will be delivered monday), but started on the motherboard and the aio. Kinda exciting I must say. Can't wait to build it.

Might dive into over clocking at one point in time. Or I might not.

Wish me luck.
1080p?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Have a friend who likes to play shooters in 1080p 360fps on his 27" (Maybe even 24") monitor with his 4090 PC

One of the last times I played with him he was considering getting a 540 hz monitor

I guess I can't say much I am on a 1440p ultrawide at 240hz

GymWolf

God i love my fractal torrent, one year without cleaning and there was no dust whatsoever inside, i literally didn't had anything to clean, no fans no nothing (only in the external dust filters of course), basically if i keep this pc for another 3 years, i can even forget to clean it without much of a worry.

MikeM

Have a friend who likes to play shooters in 1080p 360fps on his 27" (Maybe even 24") monitor with his 4090 PC

One of the last times I played with him he was considering getting a 540 hz monitor

I guess I can't say much I am on a 1440p ultrawide at 240hz
Very excessive lol everyone has their jam tho.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
alright guys playing cyberpunk and it's long time for an upgrade...

Haven't done this in a decade

78000xd3 + 4070

Am I on the right track?
Can someone fill out the rest

Bojji

78000xd3 + 4070

Am I on the right track?

For 1440p with DLSS and RT 4070 is great.

You can't get anything better than 7800x3d for gaming ATM.

Some GOOD 600W power supply.

6000MHz DDR5? I'm not expert when it comes to this but 3D processors don't need memory THAT fast.

Needlecrash

I'm hoping to get a PNY 4090 next week. I chose them because they're very solid on their cards and they actually make the reference 4090 cards too and the size is a bit shorter than their competition. I'm staying away from Gigabyte and Asus due to shitty track records. Then, I'll sell my 3080. Finding a new motherboard is gonna be a bitch. The MSI Tomahawk has had issues with long boot times and bad boards in general, since it's a PCI 5.0 board. The ASRock Steel Legend has had some issues with the BIOS, errors and faulty boards (mainly due to it being a PCI 5.0 board). I got a 7800x3d and a 1200w PSU ready to rock and roll....once I get the other components first.

I've used MSI boards before, they've been rock solid in general, with a BIOS update. Gonna see what I can do. I need the following to finish the new build...

• G.Skill 64 GB RAM
  • CPU Cooler (Noctua or a beQuiet! air cooler this time)
  • Phanteks G500A Case
  • MSI Motherboard?
  • 4TB Western Digital NVMe SSD.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
For 1440p with DLSS and RT 4070 is great.

You can't get anything better than 7800x3d for gaming ATM.

Some GOOD 600W power supply.

6000MHz DDR5? I'm not expert when it comes to this but 3D processors don't need memory THAT fast.
Yeah, you’re clearly not an expert and shouldn’t be giving advice.

6000MHz DDR5 Low latency memory is absolutely the best choice for Ryzen 7000 CPUs.

A 600W PSU is also a terrible recommendation even for a low power GPU like the 4070.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

78000xd3 + 4070

Am I on the right track?
it’s Fine, but your CPU is a bit overkill for a 4070. You’d be better off saving a few $$ and going with a 7700X or gettting a 4070 Ti or a 7900XT. The 7800X3D is a fine CPU though.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I'm hoping to get a PNY 4090 next week. I chose them because they're very solid on their cards and they actually make the reference 4090 cards too and the size is a bit shorter than their competition. I'm staying away from Gigabyte and Asus due to shitty track records. Then, I'll sell my 3080. Finding a new motherboard is gonna be a bitch. The MSI Tomahawk has had issues with long boot times and bad boards in general, since it's a PCI 5.0 board. The ASRock Steel Legend has had some issues with the BIOS, errors and faulty boards (mainly due to it being a PCI 5.0 board). I got a 7800x3d and a 1200w PSU ready to rock and roll....once I get the other components first.

I've used MSI boards before, they've been rock solid in general, with a BIOS update. Gonna see what I can do. I need the following to finish the new build...

• G.Skill 64 GB RAM
  • CPU Cooler (Noctua or a beQuiet! air cooler this time)
  • Phanteks G500A Case
  • MSI Motherboard?
  • 4TB Western Digital NVMe SSD.
You’re the first person to say PNY is solid. I mean I’m sure it’s fine as a 4090. Why not get an MSI 4090?

Bojji

Yeah, you’re clearly not an expert and shouldn’t be giving advice.

6000MHz DDR5 Low latency memory is absolutely the best choice for Ryzen 7000 CPUs.

A 600W PSU is also a terrible recommendation even for a low power GPU like the 4070.

LOL

I'm running 4070ti on 550W PSU no problem, PSU recommendations are usually sky high bullshit. 4070ti takes ~280W (max) and 5800x3d is ~120W (max) so 400W of total maximum power for 12v line, +couple of W for RAM. With undevolts 4070ti is 220W (max) and 5800x3d 80W (max).

4070 takes 200W at max... PSU needs to be GOOD, not some fucking 1000W monster for 400W system.

3D cache makes ram speed and timings difference way less relevant compared to "normal" AMD CPUs:

8kXsoxi.jpg

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
LOL

I'm running 4070ti on 550W PSU no problem, PSU recommendations are usually sky high bullshit. 4070ti takes ~280W (max) and 5800x3d is ~120W (max) so 400W of total maximum power for 12v line, +couple of W for RAM. With undevolts 4070ti is 220W (max) and 5800x3d 80W (max).

4070 takes 200W at max... PSU needs to be GOOD, not some fucking 1000W monster for 400W system.

3D cache makes ram speed and timings difference way less relevant compared to "normal" AMD CPUs:

8kXsoxi.jpg

No. It’s not sky high bullshit. 550W may work, but it’s running far too close to its max for long term stability. It’s not good advice to recommend a PSU that low if you want something to last. I doubt you will find many system builders who will recommend a low power PSU unless absolutely necessary.

Nobody should be gaming on anything less than a 750 W PSU if they’re building a new system unless they need to save every single penny and are going with a very low power system. They’re not that more expensive than 600W

Last edited:

Bojji

No. It’s not sky high bullshit. 550W may work, but it’s running far too close to its max for long term stability. It’s not good advice to recommend a PSU that low if you want something to last. I doubt you will find many system builders who will recommend a low power PSU unless absolutely necessary.

Nobody should be gaming on anything less than a 750 W PSU if they’re building a new system unless they need to save every single penny and are going with a very low power system. They’re not that more expensive than 600W

I got my PSU many years ago and it works like a champ (Gold). Maybe now if I was building new system I would get something with more W but only if price differences are small.

7800x3d with 4070 is 320W maximum power consumption, why would he need 750W for that?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I got my PSU many years ago and it works like a champ (Gold). Maybe now if I was building new system I would get something with more W but only if price differences are small.

7800x3d with 4070 is 320W maximum power consumption, why would he need 750W for that?
Im not saying you should go and buy a new PSU with that config. A 550w is fine for the moment, if that is what you have. But, I stand by my comment that if you are building a new system, 750 W is the minimum. They don’t carry a significant premium over 600W models and efficiency headroom is always a good thing. Good 750W PSUs can be had for around $100, give or take $20.

Also, it’s getting tougher and tougher to find good quality 600W PSUs.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Just some future proofing in case he can get something like a 5080 when they launch and not have to rip everything out to install a new PSU (if he can spare the extra cash now that is)

Bojji

Im not saying you should go and buy a new PSU with that config. A 550w is fine for the moment, if that is what you have. But, I stand by my comment that if you are building a new system, 750 W is the minimum. They don’t carry a significant premium over 600W models and efficiency headroom is always a good thing. Good 750W PSUs can be had for around $100, give or take $20.

Also, it’s getting tougher and tougher to find good quality 600W PSUs.

Just some future proofing in case he can get something like a 5080 when they launch and not have to rip everything out to install a new PSU (if he can spare the extra cash now that is)

I didn't look at PSU market for years so I didn't realize that PSUs with less Watts are not really that much cheaper and not worth purchasing.

amigastar

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Looks good, i just don't know if you necessarily need a 1000w Power Supply, i think 800-850w would be enough.

I agree. I run a 7800X3D and a 4080 on a 850w PSU and its fine, I used to run the 4080 with a 5900x in a 750w PSU and it was also fine, no need to get a 1000w psu for a 4070ti

Bojji

Looks good, i just don't know if you necessarily need a 1000w Power Supply, i think 800-850w would be enough.
Edit: I've looked it up and a minimum for the RTX 4070 Ti is a 750w power supply, so maybe you need a 1000w supply but probably not.

Stock 4070ti don't take more than 285W so this recommendation is bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom