• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2023. 6-24 Cores, Frame Generation, Enhanced Ray Tracing & Direct Storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrbaba

Looking at getting a Western Digital Black SN850X w/Heatsink to fit into an ASUS ROG STRIX B760-G matx board.
Am I better off getting the WD ssd with or without a heatsink built in? I'm trying to work out if the motherboards heatsink or the WD built in heatsink is the better option.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

Looking at getting a Western Digital Black SN850X w/Heatsink to fit into an ASUS ROG STRIX B760-G matx board.
Am I better off getting the WD ssd with or without a heatsink built in? I'm trying to work out if the motherboards heatsink or the WD built in heatsink is the better option.
I'm using the 4TB SN850x with the stock MSI heatsink on my B550 board and I haven't ran into any issues. If you're using it in a slot without a heatsink, then I'll say go with the heatsink version. Otherwise you SHOULD be fine.

Last edited:
Ya'll, I've just swapped out my 7900 XTX for an RTX 4090... 4090 arrives tomorrow, just in time for Alan Wake II

Im Not Proud Golden Girls GIF by TV Land

Last edited:

Pandemic

Stupid question incoming.

I'm playing a game that's really testing my PC for the first time since purchasing it a month or so ago.

Looking at iCue for the GTX 4080 graphics card, should I be focused on Temp #1 or Temp #2? Why are there two temperatures?

And what is considered too high?

Appreciate the help.

Last edited:

hinch7

Trying to find 7800x3d in Germany but it is almost impossible :(
Could try looking at importing from other countries. I bought my CPU from Amazon France (to UK) and it came with no issues.

There's bound to be aplenty of stock from Amazon UK, FR, ES etc. If you don't mind a week or so wait.

Last edited:

Needlecrash

Replacement power supply came in. Working great! Updated the bios on the MOBO just using the PSU, worked with no issues. Installed the RAM (64gb DDR5 G.Skill Flare) and CPU (7800x3d). Waiting on a 4tb WD NVME drive now to come in. Gonna start putting in the case fans next. This will be a GRADUAL build. Putting in different parts slowly.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Hi all, I'm looking to upgrade from 2700X. Thinking either 5800X3D and new cooler if find a cheap deal but these seem to stopped dropping in price around the (£270)
So now I'm thinking of going 7800X3D which hopefully last me a good number years.

What is best value mobo people would recommend for it? I wont be overclocking and it will only be using one m.2 drive.
Also am I ok keeping my PSU? Its a Corsair 850W, I have had no issues with it but have had it for years. I Will be upgrading my 1080ti next year to a 40** series.
Does your current mobo support the 5800x3d? If it does, and cost is of a concern, might make more sense to go that way instead of a whole new system

Daddy Jensen going to be happy.

Why tho?

7900 XTX raster performance is great, and close enough to the 4090 IMO, but RT performance / DLSS 3 / frame generation / ray reconstruction just became too much to ignore, especially with RT heavy games like CP2077 and Alan Wake II landing, and others in the near future. It started to feel like I wasn't getting my money's worth out of my $2000 rig when I couldn't use these PC specific features with decent performance.

4090 has been amazing, btw. AW2 is jaw dropping.

JMZ555

Does your current mobo support the 5800x3d? If it does, and cost is of a concern, might make more sense to go that way instead of a whole new system
Its a B450 tomahawk (not Max version) but I have updated bios etc to latest and does list it as compatible on website.
I currently only play Pubg and FF14 so its more of a want than a need at moment. I will prob wait and save a bit more and move to 7800x3d or whatever is about early next year.

MikeM

7900 XTX raster performance is great, and close enough to the 4090 IMO, but RT performance / DLSS 3 / frame generation / ray reconstruction just became too much to ignore, especially with RT heavy games like CP2077 and Alan Wake II landing, and others in the near future. It started to feel like I wasn't getting my money's worth out of my $2000 rig when I couldn't use these PC specific features with decent performance.

Glad you are enjoying it.

I have the 7900xt and really happy with it. Eyeing the 4080super if it gets somewhat close to the 4090.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Maybe he wants to turn on Path Tracing without performance tanking to 10 FPS :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:
Yep. I have AW2 running on my 4090 with everything turned to max and I get a very playable experience and visually pleasing experience. With framegen I get between 70 - 120 frames on my C1. Framegen still looks bad on UI elements, but works VERY well in this game otherwise.

On the brightside, it also plays reasonably well on my laptop with it's 3060 so those with lower end GPUs aren't completely screwed.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Fun fact, on lower end GPUs, Intel currently offers better ray tracing performance than AMD and XeSS is indisputably better than FSR. I won't be surprised if Intel does better frame generation than AMD before too much longer. Intel still has a LONG way to go to truely compete in terms of performance, but AMD really is still sucking when it comes to features.

While, I still don't think ray tracing is a MUST have feature, Rast still provides a very pleasant expereicne. RT it is reaching a point where the performance hit isn't as drastic. DLSS 3.5 really did Alan Wake 2 good.

Is 32:9/super ultrawide worth it over 21:9/regular ultrawide? I heard there’s a fish eye effect with 32:9 that can be distracting once you notice it. I have a budget 21:9 led monitor now that is okay but I’ve been thinking of upgrading to the Samsung g9 OLED

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Is 32:9/super ultrawide worth it over 21:9/regular ultrawide? I heard there’s a fish eye effect with 32:9 that can be distracting once you notice it. I have a budget 21:9 led monitor now that is okay but I’ve been thinking of upgrading to the Samsung g9 OLED
It can be good for work purposes but for gaming it can be a bit too much and you’ll struggle with framerates since it pushes so many pixels.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
A thought came to me... should I sell my extremely rare, very valuable 3080fe ?!
These things do not exist in Poland. I am like the only person owning one. I had to script hunt with alarms fora week in 2020 on release to get it from nvidia.
In the end they were selling it for 2 minutes lol and never again (fe).
I could sell it, double that and get 4080 and still not play pc games... so I guess that's not the best idea :p

Rossco EZ

A thought came to me... should I sell my extremely rare, very valuable 3080fe ?!
These things do not exist in Poland. I am like the only person owning one. I had to script hunt with alarms fora week in 2020 on release to get it from nvidia.
In the end they were selling it for 2 minutes lol and never again (fe).
I could sell it, double that and get 4080 and still not play pc games... so I guess that's not the best idea :p
forspoken would run very well on that 4080 tho

Needlecrash

Got the new PC almost built. Just need to put in the hard drives and plug in the connectors for the PSU. Disappointed the Phantom Spirit makes the RAM slots inaccessible unless if you take out one of the fans.

Last edited:

Rossco EZ

Got the new PC almost built. Just need to put in the hard drives and plug in the connectors for the PSU. Disappointed the Phantom Spirit makes the RAM slots inaccessible unless if you take out one of the fans.
most dual fan coolers have a fan that sits over the ram

Needlecrash

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!

Accidentally broke off one of the connectors of my 4TB SSD. FUCKING HELL. Wound up ordering a Samsung 4TB 990 EVO NVME and making a bootable USB drive to reinstall Windows 11. Feels bad man. :\

OverHeat

« generous god »
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!

Accidentally broke off one of the connectors of my 4TB SSD. FUCKING HELL. Wound up ordering a Samsung 4TB 990 EVO NVME and making a bootable USB drive to reinstall Windows 11. Feels bad man. :\
How did you managed that?

Quixz

How much money should I save for the release of the 5090 if I want to buy a really nice gaming PC then? 4k?
The price for 4090 has being creeping up over the last few months, I'd say 2K just to be safe.

Ridiculous that consumer GPUs are this expensive these days.

Needlecrash

How did you managed that?
I was connecting the data cable to the pins and the plastic piece broke off. I must have done it at an angle. I'm salty as fuck about it, I rarely make mistakes and I'm just pissed about it.

So, I had to order a Samsung 990 Evo to replace it. Might get a 2TB SSD to place that one tho.

Last edited:

Needlecrash

IT IS DONE. The build is complete. Had to pay for a Windows 11 Pro key but it was only $25 and through a Microsoft partner. It's quiet AS FUCK too! Now to start the transfer of the data from the old build now...

Last edited:

Needlecrash

enjoy your new build :goog_horns:
Thanks man. Gotta do some tweaking for the most part and figuring out how to screw the PSU into the case since the holes aren't lined up in the right place.

Edit: DERP. I had the PSU bracket upside down lmao. All good now!

Last edited:

Needlecrash

Sounds obvious but make sure it's not upside down. Common mistake.
Yea that's my bad. It's all good now. Got the lighting issue fixed too, the wire just needed to be plugged up to a SATA cable and now the lighting is fully controlled by the motherboard via the ASRock Polychrome software; MUCH better than the MSI garbage. Gotta say, this Phanteks G500a case was a breeze to work in. Very nice PC case and very spacious. It's about the size of a Corsair 5000 series.

Last edited:

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I've been using the same PC that I built 9 YEARS AGO. It was killer back then, now... not so much. Due to life circumstances I haven't been able to upgrade, until now.

I was going to shoot for the moon and do a ~$4500 build, but the pricing of the 4090 is just silly. It's almost impossible to find one under $2000, at least on major sites (newegg, amazon, b&h photo has some under $2k but every last one is sold out).

I'm really considering going for a 7900 XTX for right now, even though I know it isn't the best, and just waiting on 4090 prices to fall, if they ever do.

It's frustrating that after waiting this many years, I'm holding off on building "the best" just on principle.

I've been using the same PC that I built 9 YEARS AGO. It was killer back then, now... not so much. Due to life circumstances I haven't been able to upgrade, until now.

I was going to shoot for the moon and do a ~$4500 build, but the pricing of the 4090 is just silly. It's almost impossible to find one under $2000, at least on major sites (newegg, amazon, b&h photo has some under $2k but every last one is sold out).

I'm really considering going for a 7900 XTX for right now, even though I know it isn't the best, and just waiting on 4090 prices to fall, if they ever do.

It's frustrating that after waiting this many years, I'm holding off on building "the best" just on principle.

I'd wait on the 4080 Super. Should be announced on January 8th at their CES presentation and is expected to be priced the same as the 4080 but with improved performance.

Last edited:

twilo99

Tempted to upgrade my GPU.. should I wait for Black Friday/holiday sale or just do it now?

7900xtx seems to be choice and the xfx one that I want is $960 on amazon.

Looked at a few 4090s, but I just feel like it’s an overkill for 1440p

Rossco EZ

Tempted to upgrade my GPU.. should I wait for Black Friday/holiday sale or just do it now?

see what deals are on black friday isn’t that long away. unless your gpu died or something

twilo99

see what deals are on black friday isn’t that long away. unless your gpu died or something

no it’s working fine, I’m just inpatient but I’ll wait lol I just don’t remember if high end GPUs actually get any discounts at all but yes better to wait

Needlecrash

If you're just doing 1440p, then a 4060/4070 is better for your budget.

TVexperto

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to upgrade my PC and need advice. My setup: i7 8700K, ITX mobo & case, 4070 Ti. I'm looking for a significant CPU upgrade and a new ITX motherboard that supports 3 NVMe SSDs (current one supports only 2). Is there such an ITX mobo available?

Also, considering upgrading to i7 13700K. Would this be a substantial improvement over my i7 8700K in an ITX setup?

Thanks for any suggestions!

peish

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to upgrade my PC and need advice. My setup: i7 8700K, ITX mobo & case, 4070 Ti. I'm looking for a significant CPU upgrade and a new ITX motherboard that supports 3 NVMe SSDs (current one supports only 2). Is there such an ITX mobo available?

Also, considering upgrading to i7 13700K. Would this be a substantial improvement over my i7 8700K in an ITX setup?

Thanks for any suggestions!

7800X3D + 2x24GB 6400 ram + Asus X670E Gene

This for future proofing.
Gene is mATX
Gene supports 3 NVME of which 2 are gen 5 and 1 is gen 4, all 3 have independent bandwdith
Gene supports easier memory overclocking, you can run your 48GB ram at 7600 - 8000 rather easy with some grease work.

TVexperto

7800X3D + 2x24GB 6400 ram + Asus X670E Gene

This for future proofing.
Gene is mATX
Gene supports 3 NVME of which 2 are gen 5 and 1 is gen 4, all 3 have independent bandwdith
Gene supports easier memory overclocking, you can run your 48GB ram at 7600 - 8000 rather easy with some grease work.
honestly never had a amd cpu is it better than intel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom