• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2023. 6-24 Cores, Frame Generation, Enhanced Ray Tracing & Direct Storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Needlecrash

All high end and you skip on mobo why?
Initially, it was either between the X670E MSI Tomahawk or the ASRock X670E Steel Legend. Then, I eliminated the the MSI mobo and it was between the Taichi Lite and Steel Legend. I have no need to overclock at all and the PC is still future proof with PCI 5.0 on the GPU/M2 side.

OverHeat

« generous god »
q6ZVyPM.jpg

Friend new build 😳 open case ftw

Last edited:

Needlecrash

I don't know that its "bad" as much as an unknown especially with the amount of money you are investing into the PC

Just my 2 cents as maybe someone knows its actually bad
I'll take your word for it. I initiated a return on that PSU. I'm gonna get a Silverstone/Seasonic/Thermaltake instead according to the PSU tier list.

Last edited:
Plus I'm never going to go 4K
Why not? With DLSS, I am running 4K on my 3060 laptop. A desktop 4070 or higher is begging to be played at 4K. Pair it with a clearance-priced LG C2 and it’s a sight to behold.

4K is so nice that I am strongly considering getting a desktop PC this Black Friday or Boxing Day despite the fact that PC is my least used platform.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So.....with the exception of the 4TB NVMe drive that I'll get later, I now have (or awaiting) all the parts for the next build.

• PNY XLR8 OC RTX 4090 GPU - Smaller than most 4090's and comes with an Anti sag bracket.
  • Phanteks Black G500A case
  • ASRock Taichi Lite B650E Motherboard
  • Sama 1200W PSU
  • G. Skill Flare DDR5 6000 64GB
  • 3x be Quiet! Silent Wings Fans
  • AMD 7800x3d processor
  • Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120SE CPU Air Cooler
That power supply is bad news. Much better options. Never heard of that brand and PSU is one of the most important components of the system.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I'll take your word for it. I initiated a return on that PSU. I'm gonna get a Corsair/Be Quiet/EVGA instead.
Yeah, any of those brands is a much better choice. I'd avoid EVGA since they've lowered the warranty, but it should be still be fine. Seasonic is the best.

Needlecrash

Yeah, any of those brands is a much better choice. I'd avoid EVGA since they've lowered the warranty, but it should be still be fine. Seasonic is the best.
Ordered the Seasonic Vertex 1200W. Great ratings, Listed under the A-Tier on the PSU Tier List (Under Speculative), 10 year warranty and good, quality braided cables and a 12VHPWR dedicated cable for High End GPU's. Seemed like a solid choice.

The Thermaltake ones had a lot more dead PSU's and coil whine with stiff cables, which is a NO NO for certain GPU's.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Ordered the Seasonic Vertex 1200W. Great ratings, Listed under the A-Tier on the PSU Tier List (Under Speculative), 10 year warranty and good, quality braided cables and a 12VHPWR dedicated cable for High End GPU's. Seemed like a solid choice.

The Thermaltake ones had a lot more dead PSU's and coil whine with stiff cables, which is a NO NO for certain GPU's.
Grand slam of an upgrade.

Do you folks with a gaming keyboard find those macro buttons useful? I don’t even know what I would do with them. I’m considering a new keyboard and wonder if I should bother.

Jordoon

Why not? With DLSS, I am running 4K on my 3060 laptop. A desktop 4070 or higher is begging to be played at 4K. Pair it with a clearance-priced LG C2 and it’s a sight to behold.

4K is so nice that I am strongly considering getting a desktop PC this Black Friday or Boxing Day despite the fact that PC is my least used platform.
I currently sit contently with my head 3 feet away from my 32" 1080p monitor, so in my opinion the extra performance required to push so many pixels is not worth it, I'd rather have more frames. I was tempted to stay at 1080p honestly but I want it to feel like more of an upgrade so 1440p it is. Also the amount of frames I'd be getting at 1080p seems just as diminishing as 4K of pixels to my eyes.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I currently sit contently with my head 3 feet away from my 32" 1080p monitor, so in my opinion the extra performance required to push so many pixels is not worth it, I'd rather have more frames. I was tempted to stay at 1080p honestly but I want it to feel like more of an upgrade so 1440p it is. Also the amount of frames I'd be getting at 1080p seems just as diminishing as 4K of pixels to my eyes.
Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. 1440p is a nice solid picture. If you combine with HDR and 240 Hz, you will get an incredibly smooth gaming experience.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Which laptop? Not many laptops, especially those with a 3060 will feature a 4K screen.

A 4070 is considered a good 1440p card. I wouldn't call it a good 4K card unless you are willing to turn off many other features and/or run DLSS in performance mode.

Any good headphones that are less than a hundo that are good for music? I'll just put it in my logictech system.

Nothing audiophile for obvious reasons.

Just need something loud.
:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

I’d like to know a good wireless pc controller. Is Xbox still the way to go? I’ll use the motherboards built in Bluetooth if possible. Same with a wireless, but not too expensive

Shakka43

I’d like to know a good wireless pc controller. Is Xbox still the way to go? I’ll use the motherboards built in Bluetooth if possible. Same with a wireless, but not too expensive
8bitdo ultimate 2.4g
Have had it for about a week and it is an excellent one. The price, included dock and back buttons make it a much better choice than the non elite Xbox controllers.

Last edited:

JMZ555

Hi all, I'm looking to upgrade from 2700X. Thinking either 5800X3D and new cooler if find a cheap deal but these seem to stopped dropping in price around the (£270)
So now I'm thinking of going 7800X3D which hopefully last me a good number years.

What is best value mobo people would recommend for it? I wont be overclocking and it will only be using one m.2 drive.
Also am I ok keeping my PSU? Its a Corsair 850W, I have had no issues with it but have had it for years. I Will be upgrading my 1080ti next year to a 40** series.

Needlecrash

Hi all, I'm looking to upgrade from 2700X. Thinking either 5800X3D and new cooler if find a cheap deal but these seem to stopped dropping in price around the (£270)
So now I'm thinking of going 7800X3D which hopefully last me a good number years.

What is best value mobo people would recommend for it? I wont be overclocking and it will only be using one m.2 drive.
Also am I ok keeping my PSU? Its a Corsair 850W, I have had no issues with it but have had it for years. I Will be upgrading my 1080ti next year to a 40** series.
Get the 7800X3D. And get the Asrock Taichi Lite B650E, X670E Steel Legend are good too. Any of the ASROCK/MSI/Gigabyte motherboards of the B650E or X670E ilk are decent. YOU WILL NEED A NEW PSU. A modular psu that's at least a 1000w with ATX 3.0/PCI 5.0 with a 12vVHPWR dedicated power rail is best. And get DDR5 RAM.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Also am I ok keeping my PSU? It’s a Corsair 850W, I have had no issues with it but have had it for years. I Will be upgrading my 1080ti next year to a 40** series.
Go with the 7800X3D. Get into DDR5

I am a big fan of Corsair and would let others weigh in but I would think about this one as well even though its only 1000w

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-rmx-series-rm1000x-cp-9020201-na-1000w/p/N82E16817139273
corsair PSUs tend to be ok to very good... or in the case of the ax1600i, the best of the best.
PSU is one of the most important components of the system.
its job is to turn on, maintain relatively stable voltages, and not die. tons of PSU manage that fine.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
That power supply is bad news. Much better options. Never heard of that brand and PSU is one of the most important components of the system.

I learned the hard way back in the Q6600 days to never cheap out on a PSU lost a whole rig!

Leonidas

If you're still on a 1080 Ti I'd recommend not getting a 7800X3D. That CPU is only really useful if you have a high refresh monitor (180+) and a high end GPU. You'd probably be better off just getting an R5 5600 (which will improve gaming performance on 2700x even with a 1080 Ti) and doing a full upgrade next year whenever you upgrade your GPU.

7800 X3D is a waste on a 1080 Ti. And buying one now and then upgrading the GPU next year is also a waste, because faster and cheaper CPUs will be out next year too, you will have spent a premium on the 7800X3D without getting the benefit of using it till you upgrade your GPU, and possibly monitor too. 7800 X3D only makes sense to me if you have a high end GPU (4080 or higher) and a 180 Hz (or higher) monitor.

Last edited:

JMZ555

If you're still on a 1080 Ti I'd recommend not getting a 7800X3D. That CPU is only really useful if you have a high refresh monitor (180+) and a high end GPU. You'd probably be better off just getting an R5 5600 (which will improve gaming performance on 2700x even with a 1080 Ti) and doing a full upgrade next year whenever you upgrade your GPU.

7800 X3D is a waste on a 1080 Ti. And buying one now and then upgrading the GPU next year is also a waste, because faster and cheaper CPUs will be out next year too, you will have spent a premium on the 7800X3D without getting the benefit of using it till you upgrade your GPU, and possibly monitor too. 7800 X3D only makes sense to me if you have a high end GPU (4080 or higher) and a 180 Hz (or higher) monitor.

I have a old 120hz monitor that I want to change to 1440p high refresh as well so cost is adding up.
Part of me thinks I should find a cheap 5800x3d used and a new cooler, keep rest of PC (16gb 3200hz, 850W PSU, 1TB SSD) as this would only cost me £300ish and use that money saved to get new monitor and a 4070ti/4080.
When looking at performance to cost this might be better move for me and my budget.
But the thought of a fresh new DDR5 build is appealing.

GreatnessRD

I have a old 120hz monitor that I want to change to 1440p high refresh as well so cost is adding up.
Part of me thinks I should find a cheap 5800x3d used and a new cooler, keep rest of PC (16gb 3200hz, 850W PSU, 1TB SSD) as this would only cost me £300ish and use that money saved to get new monitor and a 4070ti/4080.
When looking at performance to cost this might be better move for me and my budget.
But the thought of a fresh new DDR5 build is appealing.
If you're already on AM4, I'd say go for the 5800X3D. As you said, it's gonna save you money and its on par with the 7600x/fringe 7700x. It will last you a little while longer, in my opinion and you can get a beefy GPU upgrade as you stated. I don't plan to upgrade my 5800X3D until probably Zen6.

MikeM

If you're already on AM4, I'd say go for the 5800X3D. As you said, it's gonna save you money and its on par with the 7600x/fringe 7700x. It will last you a little while longer, in my opinion and you can get a beefy GPU upgrade as you stated. I don't plan to upgrade my 5800X3D until probably Zen6.
I went from a 5600 to a 7600x. By the time I sold my AM4 setup, the net cost of going AM5 was only slightly more than a 5800x3d while giving me better legs into the future.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I need some consultation to see if my assessment is correct regarding vsync/gsync etc.
Nvidia 3080, 120hz lg c1 oled (gsync).

General settings: Gsync on, vsync on in nvcp, off in-game. Low latency mode set to Ultra.
Or better to ignore that ultra low latency thingy and just use rtss fps cap -1fps or at 120/60hz depending on the game?

All of this came back to my mind because I am playing dark souls 3. it runs in fullscreen forced 60hz. I can feel the lag. It gets better with ultra low latency or fps cap
edit: lol I found my old 2019 posts from time when I had 60hz freesync 4k ips monitor. 58fps. Just set rtss to 58fps for 60hz games

Last edited:
I went with the Hyperx Cloud 2 wired. As a bit of an audio enthusiast, I was pleasanty surprised by the sound, with gaming and music. They sound really good.

Not quite the ear wax displacement I was looking for, but they'll do for now. Can get louder on 3.5mm plug from my logitecs, but the distortion... These will do, for now, would be nice to find another solution to this, but it will require a DAC, amp, and decent headphones.

Needlecrash

Not exactly 😜
7950x3d, when hard-limited to just the V-Cache CCD, will outperform the 7800x3D by around 3%
3%! I watched the Gamer's Nexus video on the new Intel 14000K series and they were trolling the fuck outta Intel on this so bad that it wound up being a massive AMD advertisement lol.

Bojji

I need some consultation to see if my assessment is correct regarding vsync/gsync etc.
Nvidia 3080, 120hz lg c1 oled (gsync).

General settings: Gsync on, vsync on in nvcp, off in-game. Low latency mode set to Ultra.
Or better to ignore that ultra low latency thingy and just use rtss fps cap -1fps or at 120/60hz depending on the game?

All of this came back to my mind because I am playing dark souls 3. it runs in fullscreen forced 60hz. I can feel the lag. It gets better with ultra low latency or fps cap
edit: lol I found my old 2019 posts from time when I had 60hz freesync 4k ips monitor. 58fps. Just set rtss to 58fps for 60hz games

Low latency in driver works only for DX9/10/11 games (IDK about older), with it and vsync you also have frame limit engaged automatically. It works very well.

Reflex also works the same way, with vsync it has automatic frame limit.

For most dx12/vulcan games you have to use nvidia vsync and frame limit set few frames below refresh rate. For my B2 I use:

- vsync on
- 116FPS frame rate cap

Or for dx11 games:

- vsync on
- low latency set to ultra

This caps framerate to 115 fps.

For Dark Souls 3 I would use ultra low latency (like you) or 58FPS cap.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Low latency in driver works only for DX9/10/11 games (IDK about older), with it and vsync you also have frame limit engaged automatically. It works very well.

Reflex also works the same way, with vsync it has automatic frame limit.

For most dx12/vulcan games you have to use nvidia vsync and frame limit set few frames below refresh rate. For my B2 I use:

- vsync on
- 116FPS frame rate cap

Or for dx11 games:

- vsync on
- low latency set to ultra

This caps framerate to 115 fps.

For Dark Souls 3 I would use ultra low latency (like you) or 58FPS cap.
yes this 100% confirms my findings.
Either ultra low latency is good or just manually cap with rtss to -2-3.
DS3 feels much better!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom