• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indiana Jones by MachineGames Officially Revealed - Coming in 2024 | Xbox Direct 2024

It's first person because, per the developers, they feel like it makes for a more intimate immersive experience.

But you also gotta show off the likeness that you paid a pretty penny for.
Those are two competing design philosophies though. There is a reason most FPS shooters have no-name generic protagonists that say little, and almost all first person RPGs have protagonists that are created by the player. Yes there are exceptions (Deus Ex), but all I'm saying is that they are just making it harder on themselves from a design/narrative perspective lol

SnapShot

GEJ8HHCXoAAwZi3.png

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Jokes aside, I don't think it looks half bad...
Indiana-Jones-and-the-Great-Circle-screenshots-2.jpg

Indiana-Jones-and-the-Great-Circle-screenshots-3.jpg

Indiana-Jones-and-the-Great-Circle-screenshots-1.jpg

I do wish it was 3rd person (only because that's why I personally prefer with this type of game), but I'm happy to give it a spin when it launches!

Last edited:

Neon Xenon

It must be exhausting being a full-time culture warrior. Imagine worrying about it so much that it impedes your enjoyment of video games. I feel sorry for those people.
Overexposure to Concentrated Stupid on the internet really deep-fried some peoples' brains beyond repair.

The type of third person game most people here are advocating for gives you a couple minutes of actual "gameplay" and then 20 minutes of slowly walking and talking, then a big CINEMATIC set piece, and then a couple more minutes of gameplay. It's fucking boring.

How is that any different from a game that is doing the same thing but in first person?

Most of what they showed yesterday was cinematics with some extremely basic looking gameplay where you mostly just walk around. The combat and traversal look extremely dated

Last edited:
Indiana Jones is about exploring, brawling, and solving puzzles at its core.

By being first person, two of those pillars are handicapped (and arguably all of them, since puzzles and exploration go hand in hand).

Traversal is way better in third person. This game has third person traversal but it’s some of the worst third person traversal I’ve ever seen.

Hand to hand combat is WAY better in third person, and we have multiple games as good templates for third person brawlers where you fight big groups of enemies. You can make the fights play out like choreographed dance routines with really slick animations, finishers, and multiple whip actions to do things like stun, grab, pull, throw, etc that will be far less fluid and exhilarating in first person

I don’t even know why the Uncharted comparisons need to be made either. My ideal Indy game would not have the same focus on gunplay as uncharted. The combat engine would be entirely melee based with some stealth. I’m not sure I’d even have guns at all. You could also have more tomb raider influences for puzzles and exploration/traversal, with hub areas for each geographic region that are quite a bit more open and hub like in their structure. It would be very different from Uncharted.

This may be the best Indy game Machine Games can make, but don’t kid yourself that it’s the Indy game most people wanted. It could be good, but it’ll never be great given the choices that were made. And the fact that Todd Howard apparently wrote the narrative arc of this game after the abysmal Starfield story makes me extremely skeptical that this will be the high quality cinematic Indy game we have wanted for decades.

belmarduk

There's probably not swastikas because Germany has laws forbidding them in entertainment and public display. I'm sure they will be added for most territories. I hope so, at least. I sure am looking forward to punching some Nazis.

Moses85

The Direct was internationally simulcast, including Germany, so the imagery was likely toned down in the stream.

The Wolfenstein games are the same way in Germany. But the rest of the world has all the Swasthika imagery in it.
Swasthikas are allowed to be used in Games in Germany since 3 years or more.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The official website is up with some information.

- Single player only
- Globe trotting adventure
- Mixture of linear + open zones
- Whip is not just a weapon but also a traversal tool
- Set between Raiders and Last Crusade
- Stealth, combat etc, different approaches to scenarios

oMbPWGR.jpg
PAk98xG.jpg
g3CZjEZ.jpg
2Eq25bR.jpg

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Who else is going to rewatch the Indy movies this weekend?

I’m starting with the first one tonight 🤗🥤🍿

The franchise is me "rewatch once a year" list anyway, including Predator (I stop at 1 + 2 :p) Alien, Terminator (stop at 3 :p) , LoTR and this year I might do a full Harry Potter rewatch as well.

There's probably not swastikas because Germany has laws forbidding them in entertainment and public display. I'm sure they will be added for most territories. I hope so, at least. I sure am looking forward to punching some Nazis.
Don't think that's true anymore. Those laws were changed a couple of years ago to allow swastika in games under certain conditions. It's still a hurdle for publishers.

Fredrik

The franchise is me "rewatch once a year" list anyway, including Predator (I stop at 1 + 2 :p) Alien, Terminator (stop at 3 :p) , LoTR and this year I might do a full Harry Potter rewatch as well.
So many great movies mentioned there! 🤝👊
I’m nearly as passioned for movies as games, especially that 80-90s era when movies had some humour too without being silly comedies. The Indy movies (1-3) are among my all time favorites 👌

Fredrik

I never read so many retarted arguments against first person view.
Some people are seriously mentally stuck in 1995 or never really got good with first person games.
True story, I used to absolutely hate first person games, in short they got me motion sick, I could play Halo 1 demo for 30 minutes and then I had to lie in bed fir the rest of the evening.

Then I bought a PC and apparently for me at least it was all fixed by having high framerate and no rubber band analog stick controls. I never ever get motion sick now.

The Direct was internationally simulcast, including Germany, so the imagery was likely toned down in the stream.

The Wolfenstein games are the same way in Germany. But the rest of the world has all the Swasthika imagery in it.
They changed the law in germany years ago.

StereoVsn

uncharted is great do not get me wrong but from my personal view that gif does not really scream indy must be 3rd person.. I say this because I am bored of 3rd person games, they seem to all feel samey and stick to a certain formula. I honestly do not understand the push back to a game doing a hybrid style which shakes up the standard third person action-adventure style of modern gaming.
Because some folks prefer 3rd person in action adventure games. Others have issues with motion sickness.

Personally I prefer 1st person for FPS and 3rd person for action-adventure. Yes, Dishonored was great, but to me that’s something which is more action oriented and has supernatural/ magic powers to boot.

Astray

Gold Member
After quick search on UT It kinda saddens me that not a single Indy trailer upload has gathered 1m views in 16 full hours. The franhise is clearly not the power it was used to be back in it's heyday.
It's been largely superceded by Uncharted and Tomb Raider in the public's consciousness.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Apparently Riddick was pulled from PC storefronts some time ago due to licensing issues

So now the only way to play is through the original XBox, 360 or PS3.

Edit: Proven wrong by Adam & His Apple

Last edited:

Sethbacca

Nah if this ps game it would be totally diffrent thread....
You realize that most of us who are PS primary also have secondary consoles and PCs. The console it’s on is literally irrelevant except for the insecure children who are choosing to make it about the console. Deflecting to that argument is absolutely asinine.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
You realize that most of us who are PS primary also have secondary consoles and PCs. The console it’s on is literally irrelevant except for the insecure children who are choosing to make it about the console. Deflecting to that argument is absolutely asinine.
Why didn't PS gamers talk about Tango Games regressing and being scared when Ghostwire Tokyo launched exclusively on PS5?

Sethbacca

Why didn't PS gamers talk about Tango Games regressing and being scared when Ghostwire Tokyo launched exclusively on PS5?
Because Indiana Jones is a franchise beloved all over the world by tens if not hundreds of millions of people, and most people don’t give a fuck about the perspective of an unknown IP with no preconceived notions of what it should or shouldn’t be. You’re comparing a revered license to an unknown IP and wondering why there’s a lesser reaction for the unknown IP? Seriously?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Because Indiana Jones is a franchise beloved all over the world by tens if not hundreds of millions of people, and most people don’t give a fuck about the perspective of an unknown IP with no preconceived notions of what it should or shouldn’t be. You’re comparing a revered license to an unknown IP and wondering why there’s a lesser reaction for the unknown IP? Seriously?
Honestly, yeah. I thought no one cared about this IP and the movies killed it. I'm reading statements about developers stagnating and not even being ambitious unless they make a 3rd person game. I'm not really attributing any of this to you, but I've literally never read anything like this. I just find it shocking. I didn't see anything about not being ambitious when Cyberpunk hit, and that went from 3rd person (Witcher) to 1st person. I just don't get it. It can't just be Indiana Jones, or maybe people just are way more into that than I ever possibly imagined.

Sethbacca

Honestly, yeah. I thought no one cared about this IP and the movies killed it. I'm reading statements about developers stagnating and not even being ambitious unless they make a 3rd person game. I'm not really attributing any of this to you, but I've literally never read anything like this. I just find it shocking. I didn't see anything about not being ambitious when Cyberpunk hit, and that went from 3rd person (Witcher) to 1st person. I just don't get it. It can't just be Indiana Jones, or maybe people just are way more into that than I ever possibly imagined.
The newer movies may have stagnated some of the love of the franchise but the original trilogy will always have a following for us old fucks at least. May kill it for the younger generation though.

It’s kind of like Star Wars at this point. Even if you hate the recent movies there’s still a lot of love there. 🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The newer movies may have stagnated some of the love of the franchise but the original trilogy will always have a following for us old fucks at least. May kill it for the younger generation though.

It’s kind of like Star Wars at this point. Even if you hate the recent movies there’s still a lot of love there. 🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️
Fair enough. I usually prefer 3rd person. I guess in this case it just seemed so oversaturated with Tomb Raider and Uncharted both basically doing this for decades. This felt like a fresh take on the tomb exploration / adventure.

amigastar

So many great movies mentioned there! 🤝👊
I’m nearly as passioned for movies as games, especially that 80-90s era when movies had some humour too without being silly comedies. The Indy movies (1-3) are among my all time favorites 👌
I love 80-90 era movies although Quentin Tarantino says 80s were a bad decade for movies some of my favs are from the 80s (like Die Hard, Indy movies, Stakeout etc.)

Top Bottom