• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is 4k60 out of the question to be a standard on ps5/XSX?

hlm666

Doom Eternal runs nowhere close to 4K with raytracing. It tops out at 3200 x 1800 and the dynamic resolution scaler regularly drops it below that.
I probably should have used a bigger quote but I was replying to a comment that not even PC can do 4k 60fps with RT at all. A 3080 can do it in doom eternal.

yamaci17

I probably should have used a bigger quote but I was replying to a comment that not even PC can do 4k 60fps with RT at all. A 3080 can do it in doom eternal.
yeah even then, RTX cards have DLSS in their arsenal. 4k+dlss quality practically matches native 4k quality, or even produce better IQ at times due to having a better refined reconstruction

4k+dlss quality + ultra nightmare settings + ray tracing = 90+ fps. with optimized console-equivalent settings i bet you would easily get native 4k + ultra + rt upwards of 60 frames as well

of course the mentality of "you're on PC!!1 you can't use console like settings!1" will overtake that argument

ehhh seems like 45-55. with optimized console equivalent settings i can see it can easily push above 60. 3080 will surely do native 4k 80+ fps tho

however i wouldnt play with native 4k, since 4k + dlss quality will look better in motion thanks to better AA the DLSS provides.. lol

Last edited:

Tqaulity

I am a Laymen when it comes to complicated pc architecture. With that said, I was hoping once console games started being designed exclusively for the ps5 of XSX we would see games become more standard 4k/60. Before launch I was hearing big talk about Zen architecture and 10-14 teraflops of processing. Almost 2 years in and very very few games offer 4k/60fps. It was all the talk before the consoles launch now it's almost always a sacrifice to reach 60fps. Are these console just not powerful enough to offer the option? Just for reference can a 10 teraflop pc offer 60fp?
No offense to the OP but seriously how many times and threads do we need to have on this before you people get it. Graphical settings, resolution, and frame rate ARE A PRODUCT OF DEVELOPER CHOICE...NOT HARDWARE SPECIFICATIONS! If Sony or Microsoft or Nintendo wanted to mandate a specific resolution/frame rate for their platforms they could and the developers would design their games accordingly. Of course they would NEVER do that because that is stifling to developers creativity with the content so they leave if open for the developers to decide. We will NEVER see any system of any spec have a standard fixed resolution or framerate....EVER! Please it's not that hard to understand.

News flash, during the PS5 and XSX generation we won't see a 1080p/60fps standard either! Obviously the machines are perfectly capable of it but there maybe some games this generation that run below that if a developer chooses to prioritize a design that pushed the hardware to extreme points. Bottom line is PS5 and XSX are perfectly capable of outputting native 4K/120fps at a hardware level. That is what Sony and Microsoft have provided developers in terms of tools to deliver their creative visions. If a developer decided to target such a spec, they absolutely could ( you could image really simple indie titles or remasters of PS3/PS4 games such as FLOW or Super Stardust HD hitting such a spec no problem). Albeit the game would be simpler in it's design and complexity but that is the nature of the issue....it's a software and human problem....NOT A HARDWARE LIMITATION! Note that PCs hardware doesn't have a standard across all games either no matter the hardware. The 3090 isn't a 4K/60fps machine either as a number of games can't hit that target. Developers and users influence the settings and priorities on how a 3080 runs games and thus it is not standardized.

Please this has always been the case and will NEVER CHANGE. No matter how powerful hardware gets, as long as developers are given choices to design games at whatever settings they want and the complexity of games continue to increase as visuals evolve, there will never be a single resolution/fps target. Graphical complexity will continue to increase in games which will continue to tax future hardware the same way current hardware is. There is a name for this BTW: it's called Blinn's Law: https://www.boxx.com/blog/boxxlabs/blinns-law-and-the-paradox-of-increasing-performance. Short scientific explanation of why increasing hardware power will still never result in standardized graphics specs.

Can we finally put this question and discussion to bed? The answer won't change no matter how many times folks ask it.

DZ_b_EZ

You can't have the best visuals at that resolution and frame-rate. We'll get there eventually, in maybe two generations.

Ev1L AuRoN

Aim to native 4k is wasteful, today we have good upscaling methods, the GPU time is better used elsewhere, meaning, better fps and/or better visuals.

Moses85

Sure, if the games look like switch games

Michael Jordan Reaction GIF

Smiggs

You can't have the best visuals at that resolution and frame-rate. We'll get there eventually, in maybe two generations.
Problem is, they'll end up targeting something stupid like 8k, and waste even more GPU horsepower on something with insane diminishing returns. I still think developers aiming for 4k with these new consoles is wasteful, when 1440p is more than adequate for most games. Hell, 1440p @120hz is way more visually impressive and enjoyable to play than 4k60hz.

I personally will not replace my 1440p/165hz gsync monitor until I can comfortably get 4k/120 FPS, and my 3080 cannot provide that performance. And I highly doubt the 4080 will offer that, either.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
With future popularity of ue5 you will see more and more games targetting internal 1080 with 30fps on xsx/ps5

I can't wait until other developers showcase current iteration of their engines so we can finally stop assuming the matrix demo is indicative of consoles' performance limitations. The Matrix demo will look like a joke by the end of the generation next year.

Top Bottom