• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Webb space telescope (JWST) launch scheduled for 24th of December.

Will JWST successfully deploy in space?

• Yes. Good chance it goes well.

Votes: 123 74.1%
  • No. I think something will fail. (no way to fix)

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Shepard.

Votes: 32 19.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FunkMiller

Gold Member
It’s actually possible to see Rho Ophiuchi with your own eyes, with a pretty standard telescope. The image is obviously far less impressive than what Webb can show, but there’s something quite amazing and existentially terrifying about viewing these kinds of things live.

Amey

RdkOIAq.jpg

Last edited:

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
It was just a matter of time.

There's so many planets out there its almost impossible for there not to be any life.

But this is indeed promising. I'm sure Webb will find many more planets like this.
I'm willing to bet that there's something closer to home on the usual suspects:
I can't wait for these missions to get off the ground.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Carbon dioxide detected on the surface of Europa...

Further indication that there is a good chance of life in the ocean of Europa.

One day we'll know for sure. I want to still be here when we finally send probes to Europa and explore its ocean.

Aggelos

webb-stsci-01hdhhm95a69f03zd7nragbt3c-4k.png

Among the transients the team identified, one stood out in particular. Located in a galaxy that existed about 3 billion years after the big bang, it is magnified by a factor of at least 4,000. The team nicknamed the star system “Mothra” in a nod to its “monster nature,” being both extremely bright and extremely magnified. It joins another lensed star the researchers previously identified that they nicknamed “Godzilla.” (Both Godzilla and Mothra are giant monsters known as kaiju in Japanese cinema.)

Interestingly, Mothra is also visible in the Hubble observations that were taken nine years previously. This is unusual, because a very specific alignment between the foreground galaxy cluster and the background star is needed to magnify a star so greatly. The mutual motions of the star and the cluster should have eventually eliminated that alignment.

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
Further indication that there is a good chance of life in the ocean of Europa.

One day we'll know for sure. I want to still be here when we finally send probes to Europa and explore its ocean.
Couldn’t the CO2 be related to tectonism/volcanism?

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Couldn’t the CO2 be related to tectonism/volcanism?

Possibly. However, combined with the already discovered oxygen and hydrogen, the recent discovery of CO2 further strengthens the possibility of Europa being a refuge for life.

I'm actually pretty confident there is life in the ocean of Europa.

Aggelos

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top Bottom