• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jez Corden has heard that Apple is poaching Xbox engineers to make it's own console

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Keep Talking Idris Elba GIF

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Wouldn’t surprise me. Gaming is huge.

I don’t think I’d buy an apple console, I’m just not too invested outside of an ipad. I’m sure they will buy some companies though.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
He ia half the Sony's marketing department.

Doubt they will let him loose.

Yeah, hes probably working on the next Playstation, but he is not employed by sony, they contract him. So it would not be impossible for him to be contracted by apple for a year, collect a nice paycheck then go back to sony.

But I dont think this is likely, I said it more in gest.

TrebleShot

Would be a brilliant move and console.
M1 or M2 in this console would be a game changer .

Can’t see it but hope it happens.

DaGwaphics

It'll be roughly as powerful as a Switch and start at $999 with a $2000 option plated in rose gold.

I can picture that. Apple is known for high margin products, I can't see them investing heavily in the console space, but I guess they could surprise. They are releasing a standalone HMD right? Maybe they want something more powerful to tether that to for more elaborate experiences.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Would be a brilliant move and console.
M1 or M2 in this console would be a game changer .

Can’t see it but hope it happens.
The M1 max is 10.4tflops but it has 57billion transistors. The XSX has about 15billion.
So they will likely have to make big cuts, theres probably a lot of tech in the m1 max which is overkill for a game console.

Robins

I think it's only a matter of time as they continue to find new areas of growth for their company.

And now they make their own silicone too.

reksveks

Apple poaching MS employees for a console as Meta poaches Apple employees for their ar/vr set. The circle of life of sorts.

reinking

Gold Member
People like to shit on Apple but they are damn good at hardware. My only knock on them is how closed off their phone OS is. That would not matter in the gaming space. Not going to lie, I would be interested in seeing what they can do.

Before I get accused of being an Apple fanboy. I use an Android phone and Windows PC.

kyussman

Well at least we don't have to worry about them buying up all the big publishers to make exclusive games for them.....Microsoft beat them to the punch already,lol.
I've never owned an Apple product.....I doubt that will change if they release a console.

Topher

Gold Member
Would be a merger not an acquisition but it would be funny to see the company that MS bailed out buy out MS

Not so much "bailed out" as settled past grievances with a cash payout and an agreement to end the never-ending lawsuit. The cash certainly helped although Apple was required to pay it back a few years later as part of the agreement. And now Apple is worth more than Microsoft. Hard to fathom.

People like to shit on Apple but they are damn good at hardware. My only knock on them is how closed off their phone OS is. That would not matter in the gaming space. Not going to lie, I would be interested in seeing what they can do.

Before I get accused of being an Apple fanboy. I use an Android phone and Windows PC.

I disliked Apple before Steve Jobs came back and made Mac something worth buying. Since then they have created the most seamless ecosystem between all their devices. I'd be interested to see what they could do on the gaming front as long as it is something more than another Apple Arcade device like Apple TV.

But I seriously doubt Apple is going to make any serious moves in the gaming biz.

Last edited:
Honestly, there is little to no reason for any company at this point to jump into the console space.

PC gaming is on such a rise and Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo are so entrenched.

I could see Apple doing something like an expanded Apple TV with the hopes of expanding Apple Arcade, but this wouldn't be in my imagination a console competitor. Maybe bring in some generic 3rd party AAA games but not much else.

Well at least we don't have to worry about them buying up all the big publishers to make exclusive games for them.....Microsoft beat them to the punch already,lol.
I've never owned an Apple product.....I doubt that will change if they release a console.

I was just like you, but then I got the best streaming box on the market -- the Apple TV. And then I bought a Macbook for work during the pandemic. And then I bought an iPhone and Air Pods Pro. All within the span of 2 years, and let me tell you, the devices just work better.

yurinka

Why Apple would need Xbox engineers to make their own console? They already have engineers who make smartphones, tablets, computers, laptops and even 'consoles' (Apple TV). And they are way more successful than Xbox. In fact, if they go to poach engineers why would they poach the 3rd one in the market instead of the market leaders?

If they put these smartphone/tablet 3rd party joycon-like controllers (Sony also patented similar ones with a small twist) to an iPad Mini they already have a console.

I think the only thing Apple has to do is to make sure Unreal and Unity properly support their new APUs/OS making super easy and cheap to release any Unity/UE game on MacOS/iOS and to increase gamepad support/make a separate store for games that support gamepad.

Plus releasing their own gamepad that would be used on iPhone/iPad/Apple TV/Mac both as a normal pad and as a joycon attached to the sides of an iPhone or iPad.

Last edited:

Neo_game

This is probably BS. Personally I do not think it will be bad thing if that means we get premium consoles. But we do not need something like SS for 300$.

So someone like Apple, Nvidia, Intel, AMD. They should only come if they offer high end hardware. 1000$, IMO there is market for it. Also Apple make awesome chips so not sure why would they want Microsoft hardware team.

kyussman

I was just like you, but then I got the best streaming box on the market -- the Apple TV. And then I bought a Macbook for work during the pandemic. And then I bought an iPhone and Air Pods Pro. All within the span of 2 years, and let me tell you, the devices just work better.
Well,I can tell you now....I'll be staying like me a not following your path,lol.

No way Apple builds a loss leading product not their MO. In which case it would be around £999 and doa.

I was going to say a portable but they already have those obviously.

I call bullshit.

I mean it's an Apple product, I would expect a terrible $999 console to constantly sell out due to having the Apple logo on it, even if it had no good games on it

Top Bottom