• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jez Corden has heard that Apple is poaching Xbox engineers to make it's own console

FStubbs

Apple already has a home console: the Apple TV.

PS4/5 and Xbox One / XS controllers work perfectly. There is nothing else hardware wise coming from them in the living room that will play games, aside from whenever the inevitable combination HomePod + Apple TV w/ camera launches, to enable FaceTime on the couch. Apple Arcade already encompasses the TV form factor and works just fine.

As always, the issue is the games, not the hardware.
Also the Mac Mini has an M1 and starts at $699.

yurinka

I generally agree with the other points you mentioned and it would seem we both agree that Apple could make a much more successful gaming system initiative nowadays given their brand power and resources, but I just wanted to quickly focus on the bolded, because it isn't quite accurate. The following is from Sony's own privacy policy statement:

"We may share non-Personal Information, such as aggregate user statistics, demographic information, and Usage Information with third parties for a variety of purposes, including tailoring Sony promotions, advertising and communications we present to you."
This means that they store stuff like:
Userid : 32421203
Games acquired: (insert here list of games)
Most played game: (insert here way shorter list)
Hours played: 234

They won't store things like your name, your adress, they won't spy you via your mic and camera, etc. They simply will collect these annonimous statistics, both from your specific user or from the total aggregate, to make some statistics and learn from them: things like avoiding to show you an ad of a game you already have, if they have 5 candidate games to show you in an ad to choose the one is more similar to the type of games you own, etc.

I'm fine with that. They all do this, and I prefer to see ads of games tailored to my tastes even if I basically never buy them and I'm not interested on most of them.

There are a few other instances where Sony have had requests from agencies like the FBI to provide specific user data in particular criminal case investigations, but this is normal of any company is is equivalent to the cases in which companies like Microsoft provide such information: the agency in question (FBI, NSA etc.) have to have probable cause and a reason to request that user data in the first place.

I would also say that this tends to be the case with Apple and Google as well, though in Google's case it is a bit trickier because they have a known documented history of attempting to curry favor with governments like the CCP to get entry in certain foreign markets, necessitating methods of monitoring and data collection that could then have been ported out to service implementations for other markets/territories.
It's ok for me if they are in a criminal case, and the judge approves only the specific team (police, FBI, MI6, whatever is investigating it) them to access to stuff like cameras or mic during a specific time (during the investigation) of a specific person that they have important reasons to think is a criminal and is under their juristicton. I assume any tech company, ISP, etc allows that.

A different story is to create on purpose dozens of backdoors on their devices and give free lunch, full access to FBI, NSA and many agencies from many countries (I don't care if from USA, China, Russia, Europe, Israel or any other country including mine) to spy whatever they want from all the users they have around the world whenever they want, being under investigation or not, being on their jurisdiction or not. So random agents (or workers from the tech company) ended using it for personal reasons like to spy the former girlfriend, a celebrity, or even some of these agencies used it for mass surveilance and social control purposes spying 24/7 and storing all the info they had access to. Certain tech companies do this and I don't like it.

The mentioned stuff in this later paragraph was documented in different cases for Microsoft, Google, Apple, Facebook, Amazon and I don't remember but there were a few US company ones more. I remember a leaked document about this on wikileaks detailing the several dozens iOS and Android backdoors and spying methods they had implemented and was so fucking scary. I mean, even things like recording voices not using the mic, but the vibrations of the touchscreen instead and sci-fi shit like that. And to do it from different levels: accessing directly to the hardware, or getting stuff from the OS, or from the app, or capturing the internet data that it's send or received.

I mean like: are you texting someone using Telegram to have encrypted conversation? No problem, thanks to the OS we capture the conversation by capturing your screen and reading the conversation with an AI, or what you type using the points pressed on the touchscreen, or by capturing what it's typed on the virtual keyboard app or your phone, etc.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
yeah, and that will cost you an arm and several ribs.
You know the price of Apple products, dont you?
Don’t necessarily agree with this anymore. An air is superior to its competition and a much better price point. The basic iPad is also much better than it’s competition.

Some things are stupid I agree but not always. A version of the M1 Or M2 would probably be out of sight. I suspect they would have issues separating it from an AppleTV though.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
They cant afford them, sony however 🤔

As long as they leave cerny alone. I'm cool
Plot twist: Sony and Apple have secretly teamed up to take down Xbox

46az8Ij.jpg

Lol

wolffy71

Banned
So for them ro really gwt into the space they need games. That would explain why MS is spending so much and supposedly still eyeing more.

And for apple, they have loyal customers. They also have Apple TV and music that would probably have good synergies with a gaming system.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
If apple were to make a console it would be similar to the xbox one, a system which has a big focus on TV and other apple apps but it can also play games.
I could see it being closer in power to the SeriesS too.

Does anyone know the GPU clockspeeds for the m1 pro + max?

I found somewhere that the clock speed for the m1 max gpu is 1296mhz, but if that where the case it would only be 5.3Tflops not 10.4

oldergamer

The MS acquisitions won't make a difference until like 2024 best chance scenario.
By then the PS5 will still be ahead and Nintendo will be selling out whatever the Switch successor is.
Meanwhile everyone in here will be outdated and will still be fighting over hardware numbers while both MS and Sony are walking away from relying on that and going for a "play our games anywhere" approach.

There's your future right here.
Dunno about that dude. It comes down to the games and right now xbox has more first party games in development then sony. Even before this purchase. I don't think with hardware in short supply until next year at a minimum, its as cut and dry as you think.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Sounds complete horseshit for the following 2 reasons

1). Apple has the best silicon engineering team. Period. They are so far ahead than the rest of the industry its not even funny.

2). Selling gaming console is a low margin business with longer refresh cycle. Why in the hell would apple even care? They have Apple TV, eventually they will just beef that up with something like M2 or M2x.

Last edited:

wolffy71

Banned

1). Apple has the best silicon engineering team. Period. They are so far ahead than the rest of the industry its not even funny.

2). Selling gaming console is a low margin business with longer refresh cycle. Why in the hell would apple even care? They have Apple TV, eventually they will just beef that up with something like M2 or M2x.
Why? The same reason MS, Amazon, and Google are trying to into gaming. Money

A weak proprietary Apple Console that Apple Talks up as the most powerful Console to exist, all while Microsoft start's making it's real move toward Cloud Console Gaming!! Can't Wait to see if this leads anywhere!!

I'm sure Apple is just planning to rely on A.I. to custom tailor it's franchises if this leads anywhere as all dev's will not enjoy the shift to a closed proprietary format even if it does have an existing toolset!!

Shmunter

Why would apple need i86 engineers when they have their own inhouse silicone engineers. Already have a low power arm SOC with great performance. Makes no sense, I would believe product managers to structure and help launch the thing - but engineers? Nah.

Even then - Apple has the best product people around as is evident in their success.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Why? The same reason MS, Amazon, and Google are trying to into gaming. Money

Neither of those companies are going after plastic sales. Microsoft is focusing on Gamepass, Amazon Luna and Google Stadia. Ultimately they want to sell you a service with reoccurring payment. They are all investing heavy on a cloud infrastructure and not console r&d.

I am amaze people are still so distant with the idea was consoles are irrelevant. Microsoft gives zero shit if you buy Xbox One, Series S, Series X or don't buy any xbox at all. As long as you are subscribed to Gamepass on mobile or PC.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war

Yes, If they do get into home gaming I think they will simply make apple Tv be able to play current gen games. It should not be to difficult to make an apple TV at least SeriesS power.

Last edited:

CGiRanger

Banned
I mean, much like Google and Facebook, making hardware won't do any damn good if they don't have the software to back it up. And so far creating competent internal teams at these large companies currently is pretty much a laughable idea (and why Microsoft mostly buys them).

Catphish

If this ever came to pass, I guarantee I would never spend a dime on it. I’d subscribe to fucking Stafia before I touched an Apple console.

Get iFucked.

• LOL
Reactions: TLZ

M16

apple BS marketing. thats how they keep getting the same suckers to over pay for their crap. their phones have the same low marketshare like their PCs, even when the majority are sold with carrier and device subsidies. ipads were a failure(remember when they were supposed to kill the pc, now they are used primarily by parents to shut their kids up). apple tv was a failure. a console would be a failure.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

They have very high performance CPU cores, a good GPU architecture, full stack control of the OS and APIs...

It's just that Apple has never seemed to get gaming. They only fell ass backwards into it with mobile, but not stationary console gaming.

I'd still wish for its success. I've long thought the Apple TV could have been a nifty microconsole but it lacked the titles. An even more powerful gaming stationary in excess of an M1 would be cool. Connect and add to their VR set too maybe?

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
How about this for a crazy idea, a VR headset for $399 with M1 built in, but, it also is a hyrbid, you can use and play it as a 2d console as well hooked to a TV. (plus play the same 2D games on the headset too)
Hmmm........

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Neither of those companies are going after plastic sales. Microsoft is focusing on Gamepass, Amazon Luna and Google Stadia. Ultimately they want to sell you a service with reoccurring payment. They are all investing heavy on a cloud infrastructure and not console r&d.

I am amaze people are still so distant with the idea was consoles are irrelevant. Microsoft gives zero shit if you buy Xbox One, Series S, Series X or don't buy any xbox at all. As long as you are subscribed to Gamepass on mobile or PC.
Selling consoles is how you get the most people into your services and consoles are selling faster than ever

Mattyp

Gold Member
Is Jez actually retarded?

They have some of the best engineers if not best in the world. Look what they’ve done with their own chipset in two generations.

Slap 3 M1 Max’s together in a space 30 times bigger than they’re used to working in and call it a day.

They don’t need to do this, and I don’t believe it for a second they make more than enough from games on iTunes more than any other gaming company to waste time investing in a box for a tv.

GymWolf

Hopefully they are not poaching the guy who decided that xbox-xbox360-xbox one-xbox series x was the natural evolution of the brand.

wolffy71

Banned

You right that the revenue is made from software and subs. But you are wrong in thinking that hardware doesn't facilitate those things. Especially in the beginning when they want to build the ecosystem.

Do you really think gamepass would have worked as well if apple launched it instead of MS doing in on xbox and pc? No chance.

Ozriel

M$FT
I call BS on any Apple console rumors. That’s not their style. They don’t need any external engineers anyway, since they make their own SOC.

Jez Corden’s made this up.

hlm666

Why would apple need i86 engineers when they have their own inhouse silicone engineers. Already have a low power arm SOC with great performance. Makes no sense, I would believe product managers to structure and help launch the thing - but engineers? Nah.

Even then - Apple has the best product people around as is evident in their success.
exactly what I was thinking, even poaching engineers from amd or intel would be a sidegrade at best for what apple has already.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Something to connect the vapour AR/VR glasses they are working on.

I don't think they are planning to make a console. They have Apple TV after all.
However I can see them hiring people for their AR/VR initiatives.

Top Bottom