• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jez Corden has heard that Apple is poaching Xbox engineers to make it's own console

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Oh now monopoly laws need to come in to play?

Interesting.
You actually think there won't be any monopoly laws for a merger between Apple and Windows?
Richard_Stallman_at_LibrePlanet_2019.jpg

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Everyone makes fun of apple like this would be $999, but you have to remember thier bread and butter has been millions and millions of iPad sold at $299 and $399......
They have powerfull hardware of thier own now, they could legitimately compete if they throw in properly. Thier biggest issue would be software, but I suppose they could buy Sega on a weds.

oldergamer

Would be a merger not an acquisition but it would be funny to see the company that MS bailed out buy out MS
That is unlikely. Apple and ms are the only two companies to pass the two trillion mark. Neither would be capable of buying each other.

TrebleShot

Would also like to take the opportunity to remind everyone they already own one of the most successful gaming products on the planet in IPhone and iPad.

Already has Apple Arcade to compete with GP. Bring it on!

Shubh_C63

The Apple "premium" experience strategy won't work in the gaming community though.

Their best bet is Nintendo strategy by making deceptively addicting games that parents let their kids play, so apple can latch them into the ecosystem early on.
My bet, no chance in hell their is enough talent around to have another console exclusive AAA games development for a third console.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It's a multi billion dollar industry, not really surprising if Apple wants a piece of the pie.

reksveks

Everybody is poaching every body in tech right now. There's a lot of demand for highly skilled people:\

Apple is losing employees in other places too:

Heard?

Well, it's a fact that Facebook is stealing talent from Microsoft's Hololens division to support their metaverse strategy.

Meta is 'stealing' everyone's employees related to ar/vr

I think they need to acquire talented/skilled game developers such as: artists, animators, programmers to make non-shovel wear games run natively-from the ground up on iOS and MacOS with their bionic and M1 chip. Not this rosetta conversion bullshit.

Nobody thinks of the apple brand as the place to game on their apple desktop/laptop hardware. Apple making their own console would be dead on arrival. They need to establish non shovelwear gaming in their established hardware platforms first: deskop/laptop/iphone/tablet

Chukhopops

Why Apple would need Xbox engineers to make their own console? They already have engineers who make smartphones, tablets, computers, laptops and even 'consoles' (Apple TV). And they are way more successful than Xbox. In fact, if they go to poach engineers why would they poach the 3rd one in the market instead of the market leaders?
Yeah sure let’s poach Japanese engineers who barely speak any English and get them to relocate to the US in a completely different work culture instead of poaching US ones.

Also I hope you didn’t mean Nintendo in those market leaders because Im not sure what Apple could learn from Nintendo engineers.

Last edited:

yurinka

Yeah sure let’s poach Japanese engineers who barely speak any English and get them to relocate to the US in a completely different work culture instead of poaching US ones.

Also I hope you didn’t mean Nintendo in those market leaders because Im not sure what Apple could learn from Nintendo engineers.
As I said, Apple doesn't need to poach engineers because they already have hardware they can use as a console. And that sells way better than any console, btw.

Plus the engineers who make the Apple devices are Chinese who live in China who probably barely speak any English, and are basically the same ones who also make the Xbox, PlayStation and Nintendo consoles.

If you're talking about the ones who design the hardware, even if not needed they could ask Mark Cerny, independent contractor who works from outside Sony, the one who designed the gaming history record breaking consoles PS4 and PS5 and has an ASMR level English. They may not need him to design consoles but if I was rich I'd pay him to be talking about some random stuff during hours, I love his voice. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I think has nothing to learn from console engineers. If something, it would be how to optimize them to make it cost effective allowing to have a powerful enough hardware for an appealing price with a low profit, or even sold at a loss during launch. But Apple doesn't give a fuck about it, they always overprice their stuff a lot selling it with a huge profit since their fans don't care and pay it, and their devices end selling way more than a console.

Last edited:

Genx3

Nah, at least not in the US. AT&T was broken up in the 80s then allowed to buy itself back.

In the USA you are not allowed to buy a controlling share of a market that is greater than 33%.

Since MS already has 75% of the PC OS market that means Apple that controls 20% of the PC OS market cannot buy MS.

Thats ignoring the fact a company with just $250 billion in cash on hand can't buy out a $2 Trillion company.

Now Sony, Apple could easily afford to buy out the whole of Sony except the Japanese government won't allow it.

WoodyStare

They could make a digital only console for $600-$1500 (depending on SSD capacity) in five different colors with one launch exclusive and it would still sell millions within days/weeks.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
There's clearly a lot of movement in this area right now, for sure.

Look, I'm sorry but there's no way MS would spend the amount they have just to beat Sony! They are evidently anticipating one or more of the tech giants making a move and they are making sure that they can't simply buy a seat at the table.

As to this particular story... Well I doubt Apple need help in terms of engineering, but I can see them needing IP that's established beyond the smartphone and tablet domain.

Last edited:

Aranea

Apply console would be like "insert $5 to boot up a game everytime". I don't buy this rumor but is a pass from me if Apple ever created a console.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

sainraja

That's understandable.
Both Xbox and Surface devices look and feel incredibly slick.
Instead of hating them, Apple should try to step up their game though.
You mean devices that are basically Microsoft's attempt to be more like Apple?
Sure, Apple certainly has inspired Microsoft to do better. :D

Anyway, Apple entering gaming would definitely be an interesting move..

Last edited:
Why Apple would need Xbox engineers to make their own console? They already have engineers who make smartphones, tablets, computers, laptops and even 'consoles' (Apple TV). And they are way more successful than Xbox. In fact, if they go to poach engineers why would they poach the 3rd one in the market instead of the market leaders?

Just because you have people who know how to develop a laptop doesn't mean those same people know how to develop a games console, c'mon. Besides it is about much more than just the hardware; API libraries are also important and those are often tailored to specific hardware implementations as well. Also it's rather foolish to think they should prioritize what engineers they get based on what the console has sold in the market; a console's sales are in no way dominantly dictated by how well-engineered or powerful it is. Otherwise many older systems would've been not only market leaders but been leaders in every single territory their system was in. That is very clearly not the case when looking at actual prior console generations.

Considering their experience with large-scale API libraries having cross-platform support between embedded systems (like Xbox consoles) PCs, and servers, and considering Apple are in those same segments while also desiring to leverage existing APIs and features tailored to an embedded systems design, it actually makes a lot of sense they'd want various Microsoft engineers to provide their talents in such an area.

If they put these smartphone/tablet 3rd party joycon-like controllers (Sony also patented similar ones with a small twist) to an iPad Mini they already have a console.

That's not how it works; you're vastly oversimplifying the work that goes into creating a dedicated gaming system, as in something which vertically integrates hardware specifications, software specifications (API libraries, general code libraries, documentation, debug testing etc.) and more, into a static design whose specifications are set in stone for the next several years.

By your notion Sony could just take one of their random smartphones, pair it with a DualSense and viola! They have a new PlayStation Portable! Clearly wouldn't be the case now, would it?

I think the only thing Apple has to do is to make sure Unreal and Unity properly support their new APUs/OS making super easy and cheap to release any Unity/UE game on MacOS/iOS and to increase gamepad support/make a separate store for games that support gamepad.

That's only one side of the equation. You know as well as I that a "proper" console also needs to have features and content specific to its ecosystem in order to incentivize clients into that ecosystem and keep them there, which means major development investments from the platform holders.

Ensuring Unity/UE support their APUs and OS (BTW what incentives could Apple provide to ensure this for those engine owners beyond what they already provide?) would be the bare minimum thing for Apple to do.

Plus releasing their own gamepad that would be used on iPhone/iPad/Apple TV/Mac both as a normal pad and as a joycon attached to the sides of an iPhone or iPad.

This still does very little in and of itself, because either Apple would then need to retroactively add support for that controller to ALL of the games currently on their Apple Arcade platform, or they'd need to convince 3rd-party developers to do it themselves.

Either way, it would be a large undertaking and involve a lot of resources (and time) either way, they can't just simply release the controller and magically everything works with it.

Also, well this is more in general but, I don't see why people are underestimating Apple's ability to deliver a proper games console. I know the Pippin is a meme, but it was also 26 years ago, from a really bad spot in Apple's history. If they managed to turn around in general, what makes you think they couldn't do such with a video game system? They obviously have a lot more resources and experience since the '90s, and a lot more data on the market to have observed and learned from.

Given their brand power alone, I strongly doubt a new Apple gaming console would perform anywhere near as badly as the Pippin, and I think that scares some people. That said I think there are other reasons why they aren't seriously considering a dedicated gaming console: what could Apple address in terms of the gaming market that Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo aren't already addressing in one way or another? What can Apple provide that they can't, which benefits the market both for developers and for gamers? What value proposition in terms of content, pricing, and experience could Apple provide that the Big 3 cannot?

If they can't answer those questions clearly and concisely, then you're not going to get a dedicated gaming system from them. Period.

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
There's clearly a lot of movement in this area right now, for sure.

Look, I'm sorry but there's no way MS would spend the amount they have just to beat Sony! They are evidently anticipating one or more of the tech giants making a move and they are making sure that they can't simply buy a seat at the table.

As to this particular story... Well I doubt Apple need help in terms of engineering, but I can see them needing IP that's established beyond the smartphone and tablet domain.

Interesting take and I also think this is highly probable. MS hasn't considered Sony their main competition for years. So it makes sense to buy up two of the most prominent PUBLISHERS; including the dev studios they own, to preemptively be ready for when Google or Apple or even Tencent start shelling out their cash on hand to acquire IP for the long term strategy.

Top Bottom