• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March 2016 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes April 12th

Boke1879

Yeah, can't see MS losing marketing on Titanfall...

Yea it depends on what kind of contract they signed, but we'll see. Things could have definitely changed and the WW audience could be more important to EA. The SW partnership with Sony has done well for both companies.

While no doubt Sony has a huge get with the COD marketing it wouldn't shock me if they wanted this as well. Opens up a new playerbase and could potentially help sell consoles as well. I can see something like Mass Effect staying with MS though just because.

speedomodel

It's not MS's choice to make. Maybe EA will focus on fresh userbase.
Money or marketing support, plus WW audience might also play a role.

Agree. Which franchise is more valuable anyway?

Also: always wondered who the guy in your avatar is.

Yea it depends on what kind of contract they signed, but we'll see. Things could have definitely changed and the WW audience could be more important to EA. The SW partnership with Sony has done well for both companies.

While no doubt Sony has a huge get with the COD marketing it wouldn't shock me if they wanted this as well. Opens up a new playerbase and could potentially help sell consoles as well. I can see something like Mass Effect staying with MS though just because.
With Sony talking COD from them, I can see MS pulling out the wallet in a big way to keep Titanfall as a Xbox game in the consumer mindset. They can't afford another big loss, I think.

Oh well, who knows. EA has been playing nice with both sides, so it's a toss up.

Boke1879

With Sony talking COD from them, I can see MS pulling out the wallet in a big way to keep Titanfall as a Xbox game in the consumer mindset. They can't afford another big loss, I think.

Oh well, who knows. EA has been playing nice with both sides, so it's a toss up.

It depends. Didn't Phil say something to the effect of them backing off of third party deals? Or was that with exclusive games?

Boke1879

Oh snap, h did say something about not chasing them as much. Hmmmm

But that could just be PR speak from him. He said something like "we'll be focusing on fostering exclusives and backing off of 3rd party deals"

No doubt they'll still have marketing deals with certain games.

jayu26

Also: always wondered who the guy in your avatar is.
Rich Evans?
tumblr_n291si9czk1rjgvl7o1_500.gif

Get your ass to redlettermedia.com right now. Consume all the Best of Worst episodes. Thank me later.

watdaeff4

It's not MS's choice to make. Maybe EA will focus on fresh userbase.
Money or marketing support, plus WW audience might also play a role.

MS will very likely have a choice, but due to audience/marketshare differences, will be a higher price tag that what Sony will have to pay probably.

Just like CoD, etc. MS could have kept those marketing rights, but at a higher price point than what Sony had to pay and where possibly MS seems to be going in their direction it wasn't worth doing it from their standpoint.

I'm still a little surprised the thought is that these 3rd party publishers are just flocking to Sony without any $$ involved is still being discussed.

MS will very likely have a choice, but due to audience/marketshare differences, will be a higher price tag that what Sony will have to pay probably.

Just like CoD, etc. MS could have kept those marketing rights, but at a higher price point than what Sony had to pay and where possibly MS seems to be going in their direction it wasn't worth doing it from their standpoint.

I'm still a little surprised the thought is that these 3rd party publishers are just flocking to Sony without any $$ involved is still being discussed.

Well its certainly true for Indies due to MS' bullshit parity clause, And I doubt Sony had to pay anything to make Titanfall 2 come to the PS4.

EA has two massive shooters coming out this fiscal year. I think that Sony will try to get Battlefield to go along side of Call of Duty. Microsoft will probably try to keep their marketing deal for Titanfall because they don't have a Halo FPS game coming this year and they will want to advertise something in that genre.

jayu26

yup.

the thing is, COD still released at the same time, ME came to PS consoles like years later.
Following is how you think this conversation would go...

Sony: We think Mass Effect is good fit for us. Here is bunch of money for marketing rights.

EA: We think so too. You also seem to have out bid MS for this game, but we can't give it to you because Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 2 didn't launch simultaneously on PS3 and 360.

That is not how that conversation would go.

Following is how you think this conversation would go...

Sony: We think Mass Effect is good fit for us. Here is bunch of money for marketing rights.

EA: We think so too. You also seem to have out bid MS for this game, but we can't give it to you because Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 2 didn't launch simultaneously on PS3 and 360.

That is not how that conversation would go.

well if you put it that way it sounds stupid, lol.

at the end of the day money talks, cant deny that, i was basing my doubts in brand association or probably some kind of back deal (friends pulling strings, ala sony with disney) since i dont really know the reason why it took like 5 years for the series to appear in sony's ps3.

but yeah, after COD's deal i suppose brand association doesnt matter that much

Loris146

Anyone know any Ratchet and Clank opening sales?

Ratchet & Clank (November 4, 2002) -- 112,000 units
Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando (November 11, 2003) -- 125,000 units
Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal (November 3, 2004) -- 207, 500 units
Ratchet: Deadlocked (October 25, 2005) -- 55,300 units
Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (October 30, 2007, though released in most retailers early) -- 74,500 units

Found this.

http://www.1up.com/news/npd-fallout-ratchet-sell-fine

well if you put it that way it sounds stupid, lol.

at the end of the day money talks, cant deny that, i was basing my doubts in brand association or probably some kind of back deal (friends pulling strings, ala sony with disney) since i dont really know the reason why it took like 5 years for the series to appear in sony's ps3.

but yeah, after COD's deal i suppose brand association doesnt matter that much

It's not even an issue of brand association. Franchise direction is just as important. Many people assumed that many of the deals that were made with MS during the 360 were a result of brand association, when in reality it was publishers adhering to the reality that the 360 was the lead machine for many of their titles. Thats why, as soon as it became evident, Activision & Sony hashed out a deal for CoD.

When we look at something like TF, if anything they want to strike a marketing deal with Sony. Think about it - the only thing we have to go off when franchises go from one platform environment to multiplatform has been lukewarm reception on the new environment. Yes, TF is a huge franchise now, sure, but that doesn't mean we have any reason to believe it might not suffer the same fate as other titles who have made similar moves in the past.

As for Mass Effect, I think that game's marketing deal is going to largely depend on where EA wants to take the franchise going forward. It has a strong history with Microsoft, but there is a lot to be said to appealing to the market leader's userbase. In both TF & ME's case, I totally see both Sony & EA wanting to go through the effort to appeal to the Sony userbase more, as there is a built-in guarantee the MS userbase will certainly be there for those titles by default.

R&C is currently #1 on Amazon :D

Of course, Amazon is not a reliable predictor for software performance, but it's still nice to see R&C doing well on this retailer.

Boke1879

EA has two massive shooters coming out this fiscal year. I think that Sony will try to get Battlefield to go along side of Call of Duty. Microsoft will probably try to keep their marketing deal for Titanfall because they don't have a Halo FPS game coming this year and they will want to advertise something in that genre.

Yea. Battlefield makes the most sense for Sony at this point, and MS will need that FPS game since Halo isn't releasing this year.

joecanada

I don't even think ms has consistently outsold sony even on marketing deals. Did fallout sell relatively better on Xbox? They had a deal right?
I'm stoked for titanfall on ps4 for one reason... I heard the netcode was good

Boke1879

I don't even think ms has consistently outsold sony even on marketing deals. Did fallout sell relatively better on Xbox? They had a deal right?

Yea can't wait for Titanfall. Love the concept of it and hoping it does well with a broader release and campaign.

Welfare

One will get Titanfall and the other one Mass Effect.

Mass Effect is heavily associated with Xbox, especially in the US. The 360 version of ME3 outsold the PS3 version by a factor of 4 (1.04m : 260k). MEA will be something MS wants to keep for marketing (and also tried to buy console exclusivity), so them "losing" that would be a big shock.

Sony marketing Titanfall 2 makes sense. EA already have Titanfall ingrained in the Xbox audience's mind, and now they need to do the same with PS if EA want their "CoD".

Seems silly to predict, but I'd guess MS markets Battlefield and Mass Effect, while Sony get the Star Wars game and Titanfall.

stryke

I'm still curious what the server situation will be for PS4. Do they stick with MS Azure or go to another service?

blakep267

Mass Effect is heavily associated with Xbox, especially in the US. The 360 version of ME3 outsold the PS3 version by a factor of 4 (1.04m : 260k). MEA will be something MS wants to keep for marketing (and also tried to buy console exclusivity), so them "losing" that would be a big shock.

Sony marketing Titanfall 2 makes sense. EA already have Titanfall ingrained in the Xbox audience's mind, and now they need to do the same with PS if EA want their "CoD".

Seems silly to predict, but I'd guess MS markets Battlefield and Mass Effect, while Sony get the Star Wars game and Titanfall.
yeah I'll say that MS will market either battlefield or titanfall. One or the other and Sony markets the other. I still see titanfall starting with MS though

Boke1879

Sounds plausible enough. I can easily see Sony getting the SW game. Both Sony and MS get a Space Epic and FPS marketing.

yeah I'll say that MS will market either battlefield or titanfall. One or the other and Sony markets the other. I still see titanfall starting with MS though

Eh, I just don't see EA being fair in how they divy out deals. Its not like EA was carefully considering the amount of deals they signed to MS in 2013 or 2014. If anything, they are going to want to consolidate their development efforts across Frostbite titles behind one platform. And its not like Sony grabbing CoD last year stopped them from co-marketing SW: BF. I just think we need to wait until E3 fo rthis stuff. It could go in any direction honestly.

stryke

Yeah it doesn't seem very difficult to rationalise why one or the other platform holder would be able to secure marketing rights for any of these titles

Conduit

Banned

Maybe MS will have a marketing deal for Titanfall 2. Pack that with GeOW 4...well, both are shooters.

EA has to pay royalties on Titanfall sales. If they push anything as the "next CoD", it will be Battlefield.

joecanada

I'm still curious what the server situation will be for PS4. Do they stick with MS Azure or go to another service?

Ya me as well cuz that's literally all I need to buy any fps shooter this gen. Decent servers and reliable experience... This gen has been absolutely shit. Complete shit. Playing R6 right now daily and what a wasted opportunity the game literally wastes your time constantly. Such a good game in concept

Avatar bet time? It's been a while...

I bet MS keeps TitanFall marketing, but Sony gets marketing for their new third-person game.

Sony will get a VR mech mode, MS will keep the marketing.

It depends. Didn't Phil say something to the effect of them backing off of third party deals? Or was that with exclusive games?

Same guy talked about 'incremental upgrades' then changed his mind four weeks' later when the Chinese whispers started about Sony's plans.

Fallout 4 on XBO did better than on PS4. (close though).

I think Mass Effect should be an XBOX marketing.
I think it will be difficult for MS to secure marketing rights for games with global appeal.
On the other hand: IPs like Mass Effect or Fallout are widely known to be multiplat. So marketing deals only make sense with bundles.

Rymuth

Fallout 4 on XBO did better than on PS4. (close though).
Witcher 3 had the bigger split though and that game had Xbo marketing AND history of being only on Xbox.

Maybe the pattern is 'RPG with Swords = sells better on PS4'/'RPG with Guns = sells better on XBO'

Top Bottom