• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Watched Lately |OT| - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
EGcYQ6g.gif

★★★★★ / Love the anamorphic distortion on this movie, it’s not overkill but It’s just like a little wink, like yay I’m shot with anamorphic lenses.

sol_bad

Death on the Nile - cinema
Fun murder mystery film, never read the Agatha Christie novels so I have no idea how faithful of an adaptation it is. I'm terrible at working these mysteries out but my wife had it figured out at the half way point. Much more enjoyable than the first film and I was much happier with it's conclusion.

Uncharted - cinema
I found this to be a really fun film and very enjoyable. I've seen some people complain about how the movie lays out it's "clues" on where the adventurers need to go next or how to solve their current predicament. I don't see these issues at all and thought it all made sense. My only complaint is about the shitty "directors club" cinema I watched it in in the Philippines, the subwoofer was basically none existent and there was no one around to complain to, frustrated the fuck out of me. Ultimately I still like the games stories but I am excited for the movie sequel.

This is 40 - Netflix
Sequel to Knocked Up which I had no idea existed. Pretty funny film, Paul Rudd is hilarious and Leslie Mann is gorgeous.
IexLf6a.jpg

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Scream (2022) - Alarmingly better than expected. It managed to follow the same formula the series has been known for, and yet still feel original enough to have warranted its creation. Old characters slip right back into their roles like they never left. Good stuff.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Robin-Hood-2018-movie-poster-607x900.jpg

I suspect this movie is the result of Hollywood nepotism in all areas. There's nothing good about it except for the main villain who has a slight lisp.

GeekyDad

Hidden Agenda (1990)
51RGJDSZ6GL._SY445_.jpg

Whew...

Great movie. You can feel a wholehearted attempt not to over-dramatize the story, which itself is great and horrible at the same time. Great because it's about as accurate a portrayal of the circumstances and times it's set in. Horrible because it's about as accurate a portrayal of the circumstances and times it's set in...

There's nothing to gain from this movie but dark reality. Tread with caution.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Bliss

Learned about it via a conspiracy podcast where the dude went over all the scenes talking about the (occult and other) hidden symbolism and yeah I love that so I gave it a go and loved it

Also halfway through Free Guy (which I knew about but after hearing about it on that same podcast talking about it I really wanted to see it) and yeah I like Ryan a lot. Cool movie going to finish it today

There's so much more to these movies behind the veil it's bizarre (not really bizarre ofcourse, lets say intriguing)

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
We watched The Many Saints of Newark last night. Thumbs down. Did not enjoy the performance of the actor playing the main character, and it seemed like it had contempt for fans of the TV show.

Watched Free Guy with the kids and we enjoyed it.

Fbh

Went over to a friend yesterday to watch a totally legit copy of Spiderman No Way Home.

nuevo-cartel-spider-man-no-way-home-2543759.jpg

It was ....fine. It's entertaining and definitely my favorite one from the MCU Spider Man trilogy. But I saw people saying it was a great movie even beyond the fanservice and I can't say that I really agree.

NahaNago

I watched The Adam Project on or from netflix starring Ryan Reynolds and a kid who plays a younger version of him. The movie was shockingly good. I think the fact that it was a netflix movie helped since they could make it less family friendly with the blood and I'm pretty sure I remember swearing. I thought it should have had a theater release but it is netflix and the movie although it looks nice it is kind of basic all around. I really thought it was going to be either a mediocre or cringey bad movie. It kind of felt like a pg-13 nickelodeon movie. The banter between Ryan and his younger self was great and I liked the comebacks that the kid gave. The movie did have only a few set pieces for the most part, so I'm guessing the rest of the budget went to the special effects since it is about time travel. I honestly can't remember the music but then again folks were praising the music of The Batman but I only remember the music during the end of the car chase. Story was meh and the action was okay. Pretty much the banter between Ryan and his younger self is what sells the movie. I'd give this movie a rating of "B" I think with a few tweaks to the story and world building this movie could have been a classic.

Last edited:
I watched Ryan Reinolds Travels Through Time.

The latest film in the Ryan Reinolds universe. It's cool but as usual Ryan Reinolds just plays himself. Again. Doing different things.

Rran

Turning Red might be Pixar's worst film, IMO. Muddled metaphors, loud and obnoxious characters, and a takeaway id-driven moral that's a genuinely bad message for kids (or anyone, really) to absorb. It's even worse than Raya and the Last Dragon's stupid "trust everyone no matter what" concept...

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
The Tragedy of Macbeth

this is my favourite shot:

Q5VyEWj.jpg

I didn't know about this movie and I have never read Macbeth (I do have a copy of it). Only saw a bit of it during the latest Apple event and it caught my attention. Plus it's an A24 movie and I love their stuff. This entire movie is in Shakespeare English so that will put a lot of people off. I was confused wtf they were talking about lol and I could only pick up some stuff but the movie is visually stunning. Although I only got a general idea of what was happening I really enjoyed the movie and will definitely be rewatching it. I'm going to try read Macbeth as well :)

The movie is an Apple TV exclusive so you'll need to join that to watch it. Here is a trailer:

Last edited:

Labolas

The_Cursed_%282021_film%29.jpeg

Watched the Cursed. Pretty good horror movie. Probably the best werewolf movie since Dog Soldiers and Ginger Snaps. Add some new lore on the werewolf mythos.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
bW1Zv6i.jpg

So, wow, this movie. I am pretty sure I saw it as a teenager but pretty much forgot it. Saw it pop up on Amazon Prime so gave it a rewatch.

It is pretty much the early 2000's distilled into film form. The most vicious pairing of Michael Bay and Jerry Bruckheimer. Complete flash. None of the characters are the least bit believable. The Lord himself Nic Cage chews the scenery so hard at times it's impossible not to share in his enthusiasm. Angelina Jolie is what the year 2000 agreed upon was a hot bad girl and she plays the role well. I can't even remember exactly how it ended, but it doesn't matter - it's like Fast and Furious before there was such a thing. Everything works out and enemies are friends or some shit and I am pretty sure the entire gang is boning Jolie's character.

Being honest, it's a strong 2/5 - turn your brain off pop corn fun. From the perspective of movies so cheesy they become good, it's a 3.5./5.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The Tragedy of Macbeth

this is my favourite shot:

Q5VyEWj.jpg

I didn't know about this movie and I have never read Macbeth (I do have a copy of it). Only saw a bit of it during the latest Apple event and it caught my attention. Plus it's an A24 movie and I love their stuff. This entire movie is in Shakespeare English so that will put a lot of people off. I was confused wtf they were talking about lol and I could only pick up some stuff but the movie is visually stunning. Although I only got a general idea of what was happening I really enjoyed the movie and will definitely be rewatching it. I'm going to try read Macbeth as well :)

The movie is an Apple TV exclusive so you'll need to join that to watch it. Here is a trailer:

I thought it was a good adaptation. It's not as impressive (art wise, especially visually) as Fassbender's Macbeth from several years back. But when Denzel turns on the passion he's a better Macbeth. The Siward scene is chilling, as Denzel's Macbeth knows that he cannot lose that fight and yet still disrespects his doomed opponent.

IMO if anyone has Apple TV+ there is no reason not to watch this.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I thought it was a good adaptation. It's not as impressive (art wise, especially visually) as Fassbender's Macbeth from several years back. But when Denzel turns on the passion he's a better Macbeth. The Siward scene is chilling, as Denzel's Macbeth knows that he cannot lose that fight and yet still disrespects his doomed opponent.

IMO if anyone has Apple TV+ there is no reason not to watch this.
i don't really know shit about macbeth. that movie was the first time i've experienced anything macbeth. i do have a copy of the play but haven't read it. i have the other macbeth movie (fassbender) on my watchlist so i'll give that a shot soon.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
My wife and I went to the movie theater last weekend, for the first time since the pandemic started. All the theaters in my area closed down and went out of business years ago. A Regal theater finally opened back up about 100 miles from where I am, so we decided to make a trip out of it (despite the $5.29 / gal gas).

MV5BYzFmMjAwMDYtNzM0Zi00NjY2LWFjMjYtMGQ1OTRiZjk5YjJkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTMwODY5NDc2._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Worth it.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
MV5BMDQ0MWEzMDEtMGZmNC00NjQ0LWJlNDItZDMyNDc5MmFkODJjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODk4OTc3MTY@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Well, shit. I did not expect this to be as good as it was. Pretty good vampire flick. Thought the overall design of them was great, and it has some decently creepy moments. Awesome pacing as well.

Hmm, I could go for a good vampire movie. I stopped my Netflix sub a few months ago though. I'll add it to the list for when I inevitably reactivate for a while.

So over the past few days I finally watched Ghostbusters: Afterlife and Spider-Man: No Way Home.

I'll keep it short.

Ghostbusters: Afterlife was disappointing and boring.

Spider-Man: No Way Home was typical Marvel crap but fun and probably the best Spider-Man movie so far.

I sort of can't get over how the new Ghostbusters was disappointing. I wasn't expecting much anyways but I expected better.

They actually managed to make it boring.

How in the hell do you make Ghostbusters boring?

Well they did it.

As for the new Spider-Man movie, yes it's the same old Marvel trash but it was a good movie. It was actually fun and by far the best Spider-Man movie in the MCU. William Dafoe was great in this. Wish we could have got more of them even.

If you're not a Spider-Man fan such as me, you'll like the movie and think it's okay. But I think if you're a Spider-Man fan, you're going to absolutely eat this up and love it.

I should mention that my favorite comic book superhero since I was a child is Doctor Strange. So I absolutely loved seeing him in it of course. Yes, I know I'm always saying Marvel trash but I do look forward to the new Doctor Strange movie.

Spoiler alert ahead....

both movies have feels but as much as I love Egon and Harold Ramis, the new Ghostbusters did nothing for me in that department. However, the new Spider-Man movie, I actually felt some feels and I'm not even in as invested in the Spider-Man characters as I am in the Ghostbusters one. Go figure.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
IN3dOFl.jpg

It was good. Like Branagh's other period pieces it feels very theater. The wardrobes are immaculate, the settings are all very romanticized, and he squeezes good performances out of actors who typically aren't that great (in this case Gadot and Brand).

While the conclusion is ultimately the same as the novel's they altered some characters and changed the manner of the preceding events enough to keep things interesting for readers of the books - at least I think so. Basically if you already know who is going to die at least it doesn't all happen exactly as it went down in the book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom