• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New look for PS5 console coming this holiday season

Thirty7ven

Banned
53247620407_f38d38045a_h.jpg

Once again the DE looks sexy and the the one with a disc drive looks weird.

Last edited:

peish

DE went from $399 to $449. Usually refreshes like this lower the cost.

Ah well, at least they're not doing the thing about only one SKU.

I don't like the huge divider line in between lol, it's smaller but somehow they made it even uglier than the OG model.

RE retard edition.

Add the BR drive costs you $80.

It does not come with dual purpose stand. No liquid metal cooling.

I am curious about the 1TB SSD, how they went from 825GB to 1TB, did they reduce the lanes?

Xyphie

Is the chip made on 5nm?

With Microsoft only adopting 6nm in 2024 for their refresh it's safe to say it's the same 6nm they have now and that a 5nm refresh is not economical, the MS refresh would be 5nm if the work to port Zen2 to 5nm had been done. We've also seen the PSU which was the same wattage which implies the same SoC.

Saber

Gold Member
It doesn't look that much different aside from the size I presume.

Well, at least theres that...hope its cheaper.

Last edited:

Fake

If you purchase the PS5 Digital Edition, you can add the Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Drive for PS5 later,

So, not only the standart PS5 WILL COME WITH DISK DRIVE, but also the PS5 Digital Edition WILL HAVE THE ABILITY TO BE TURNED INTO A STANDART PS5.

Physical media keeps winning.

Last edited:

Zuzu

Oh wow it’s uglier but I’m SO happy they’re going to still be selling a sku that comes with the disc drive. Long live physical :messenger_horns: And now they’ve added the option for digital owners to upgrade to a disc later on. And more storage! Great refresh.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The Pro model will be mine.

Next level RT on Wolverine and Naughty Dog’s next project 🤤

PS: wasn’t it still Tom that broke the news on the PS Portal? Or at least, dropped the most details
Yes he broke the news of the PS Portal and the ear buds and the Dualsense pro controller

Dude. It’s a goddamn PS5 slim. Cmon. Don’t be pedantic. I’m not impressed he knew 1 production detail

Last edited:

peish

dude ruins any surprise possible and destroys companies secrets and then brags about it.
JOURNALISM

no worries, the chinese factories will leak the actual unit. no surprises these days with smartphones camera.

Kerotan

$449 for DE, price bump stealthy!
It's basically just a way to pretend they're giving it bigger discounts in future. Instead of it being 50 off they can now say a whopping 100.

Design looks good, the option for a drive is good and the inbuilt SSD is a big upgrade over the current 650 one. Confirms a future ps5 pro will get at least 1TB now.

El Muerto

Sony is probably going to make so many of those drives that resellers are going to snatch them up and no one will be able to buy them at a decent price. They are not known to mass produce accessories, they will make them only if they're seeing a profit.

Varteras

Gold Member
The Pro model will be mine.

Next level RT on Wolverine and Naughty Dog’s next project 🤤

PS: wasn’t it still Tom that broke the news on the PS Portal? Or at least, dropped the most details

Yeah. He's pretty much been leaking Sony's plans for awhile now.

Roxkis_ii

The problem is that if You want to secure yourself with nice, classic ps5 fat... the only ones they sell now have this terrible glued on heatsink that falls off.
SO OUR LAUNCH MODELS Have to last us forever
Hey you have a source? I've googled "PS5 glued on heatsink" and I'm not finding anything solid.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
So, not only the standart PS5 WILL COME WITH DISK DRIVE, but also the PS5 Digital Edition WILL HAVE THE ABILITY TO BE TURNED INTO A STANDART PS5.

Physical media keeps winning.
at the cost of the digital version being more expensive than the launch digital according to many people here.... a bit of a disappointment :/

ReBurn

Gold Member
Disc drive is actually cheaper than I thought it would be. I thought they would price it at $100 minimum, possibly more. So in the grand scheme of things $80 isn't too bad if you want to be able to play discs sometime down the line.
Should probably buy one early and keep it on the shelf. It could be a thing they slow down making if people start to skew more digital. I'll probably buy a couple for the shelf.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Lmao at the price difference in the disc drive EU vs US.

MS and Nintendo gotta bring the heat to Sony in Europe because they are clowning the old continent.

Varteras

Gold Member
In reality. But I distinctly remember Cerney saying they specifically chose it for some technical aspect(ie performance).

He did say there was a technical reason. They've had years to figure out an alternative approach. They may have found a solution.

NeonDelta

hmmm maybe that's the case. The new stand looks super slick.

"A horizontal stand will be included with the new PS5 model. Also a new Vertical Stand compatible with all PS5 models will be sold separately at 29.99 USD | 29.99 EURO | 24.99 GBP | 3,980 JPY."
Nah I mis read it

He leaked the said detachable drive, the PS portal, the PS earbuds and the dualsense pro controller

But yeah he lucked into 1 production detail, try to follow along here
We just talked about the disk drive lol. I’m not following along? You just repeated yourself. Yes 1 production detail of the PS5 slim

Also we’re talking about this model announced today not some earbuds or a controller. You look like a clown cheerleading for some “insider” you don’t know personally. And all your counters here are just empty

Top Bottom