• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New look for PS5 console coming this holiday season

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
In reality. But I distinctly remember Cerney saying they specifically chose it for some technical aspect(ie performance).
Back then PCI-E 4.0 controllers were nowhere good and relieable as today, so they've went with a bit smaller, but more robust configuration on motherboard.

I don't like the desing, but hardware-wise it's a pretty neat refresh. Two USB-C ports on front is a nice upgrade for VR owners too.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Hey you have a source? I've googled "PS5 glued on heatsink" and I'm not finding anything solid.
There was topic here few days ago and it looked like that.
I am very bummed out I never stocked on original fat ps5 models... Imagine the treasure which original fat ps3 would be right now new in box

MrTired

I still doubt a Pro will be coming.
We've had leaks of physical Slims for a while, but nothing on a Pro at all.
Tom Henderson leaked the information about Playstation Portable, about this Slim. What are the chances he's wrong about the Pro when he's been right about everything else.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
We just talked about the disk drive lol. I’m not following along? You just repeated yourself. Yes 1 production detail of the PS5 slim

Also we’re talking about this model announced today not some earbuds or a controller. You look like a clown cheerleading for some “insider” you don’t know personally. And all your counters here are just empty

Ok then we are done here

LordOfChaos

53248997995_5b8fa1120f_h.jpg

The clear plastic bit helping hold it in horizontal mode is interesting. I hope the stand is overall much improved and less flimsy.

ReBurn

Gold Member

Drizzlehell

Banned
So now it will look even more like a modem, lol.

Seriously, it's a fine console but its design (particularly the shape) has got to be the worst one in PS history. Even the PS4 was better, and that one looked like a giant pencil eraser.

MiguelItUp

Not only that, but the amount of next gen only Sony releases is tiny.
Yeah, that's kind of what I was getting at with that last comment. I feel like with every previous generation when we've hit this point there's a ton of Sony releases before it. This gen, not so much, at all. Feels so weird to be at this point in the generation already, and with so few titles.

MrTired

Might as well skip it and go next-gen, especially since MS won't be releasing a Pro of their own.
All the more reason to. It puts Microsoft in an awkward position. If they don't release a Pro console themselves they risk losing Power users to the PlayStation ecosystem. If they do release a Pro console that's 3 skus on the market all of which there losing a significant amount on. They may decide that it's not worth the investment considering the demand for Xbox series consoles can't justify it.

leo-j

DE went from $399 to $449. Usually refreshes like this lower the cost.

Ah well, at least they're not doing the thing about only one SKU.

I don't like the huge divider line in between lol, it's smaller but somehow they made it even uglier than the OG model.
Value for consoles has increased dramatically , people upgrade every year or two for a $1100 phone, a console will give u 5-6 years of value, they see they sold out for years at 499, 449 for a ps5 is still a steal for what you get

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
No usb A in the front.
Pulse headset dongle is USB A. Elite dongle is also usb A from what I've seen..

I am constantly plugging, unplugging the dongle between ps5 and pc... so that's a huge bummer

mortal

Gold Member
I like that's it smaller and lighter, and the disc drive being an attachable component rather than being tethered is pretty neat actually.
Having said all that, I prefer the cleaner, minimal outer look of the OG PS5. The custom plates market for PS5 Slim will be pretty cool.

Last edited:

AngelMuffin

Why in the world would anyone consider Digital for $449 when they can get a current Disk version for $449 or newer Slim Disk version for just $50 more?

NeonDelta

If they’ve got rid of the m.2 expansion I wonder if they’ll now allow games to play off an external m.2 usb c drive

Elios83

As I expected Tom Henderson was wrong on the idea that Sony would give up on releasing both a digital and a disc model. They're not giving up on controlling the production mix towards a more expensive model.

New model looks good, digital is basically getting extra space and the possibility to upgrade for 50$ more.
Personally I'm interested in the Pro next year which is obviously real and I expect to launch at 599$. Electronics prices are destined to increase it's obvious at this point.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Vertical stand is aseparate purchase?! wut mate

Not like I will be buying it but... Get fucked, Sony.

I got a PS5 post launch, did the launch model not ship with a vertical stand?

Mine came with a stand in the box which I am using. I can't put the thing horizontally, it's too fucking big for the stand.

Last edited:

Aenima

I like the design of the new digital version a bit more, but the OG Physical version looks better. Having an option to buy a disck drive, is great.
Increased size in SSD is nice, price is the same for europe, its a raise in the US since they escaped the previous price hike.
Should have added the stand in for free.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Weird timing, considering the OG model is getting that Spider-Man version.

Monokrom

I got a PS5 post launch, did the launch model not ship with a vertical stand?

Mine came with a stand in the box which I am using. I can't put the thing horizontally, it's too fucking big for the stand.
It was used for both vertical and horisontal.

Top Bottom