• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New look for PS5 console coming this holiday season

Jigga117

More and more determined they were inspired by Everybody loves Raymond sculpture
BJiNQL0.jpg

Mr Moose

I got a PS5 post launch, did the launch model not ship with a vertical stand?

Mine came with a stand in the box which I am using. I can't put the thing horizontally, it's too fucking big for the stand.
My comment was about the disc drive costing £99.99 (which is $120). Yeah it came with a stand that works in both, you put it in the middle and it hooks on the back.
maxresdefault.jpg

Elios83

lmao same priced and they removed the vertical stand which was available in original design packaging???

A horizontal stand will be included with the new PS5 model. Also a new Vertical Stand compatible with all PS5 models will be sold separately at 29.99 USD | 29.99 EURO | 24.99 GBP | 3,980 JPY.

NEbeast

The problem is that if You want to secure yourself with nice, classic ps5 fat... the only ones they sell now have this terrible glued on heatsink that falls off.
SO OUR LAUNCH MODELS Have to last us forever
What are you talking about? I have taken mine apart to clean it and it still runs fine. You're acting like it's made from scraps.

200gb for free, not bad Sony, unlike ms, but even if they are then better ms, they are still shitty, with price increases and the lack of investment in new AAA single player games.

$50 price increase for DE edition in the us only makes no sense, must be a typo right?

Last edited:

Zuzu

With the price increase to the PS5 digital edition the possible Series X all-digital revision doesn’t look quite so bad. It’d be $500 but would comes with 2Tb so for $50 more you get 1Tb more storage compared to the PS5DE.

GrayDock

I'll keep my launch model with 1kg copper cooler, tyvm.
I only hope they keep making special covers for the og models... mine is awesome with the SM2 one. Hoping for a Wolverine one too.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Wow, this thread is really divided on whether or not they love or hate this design.

I guess I get to be Switzerland and say that both designs are just okay.

rofif

Banned
What are you talking about? I have taken mine apart to clean it and it still runs fine. You're acting like it's made from scraps.
You have the latest fat revision ?

I am looking for taht topic and I can't find it now. Apparently on the latest ps5 revisions, the heatsink is glued and gets loose or something

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

There was topic here few days ago and it looked like that.
I am very bummed out I never stocked on original fat ps5 models... Imagine the treasure which original fat ps3 would be right now new in box

About $1500 for a new launch PS3. Too bad they are ticking time bombs. I have one, I still love it. I will also treasure my launch PS5 but overall it's not really worth it to stock up on launch consoles, a launch PS1/2/4 aren't really that sought after so it's just the 3 that gained value :p

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Tom called this model Sept of last year and we have some pretty credible leaks of the ship the Pro will be using

These things take time they don't snap them together in a few weeks

Ok, I point taken, but that doesn't make the Pro release less likely considering we have specs and such.

Killjoy-NL

Tom Henderson leaked the information about Playstation Portable, about this Slim. What are the chances he's wrong about the Pro when he's been right about everything else.
Because maybe the info he received is incorrect. I'm not saying Tom Henderson himself is wrong.
All the more reason to. It puts Microsoft in an awkward position. If they don't release a Pro console themselves they risk losing Power users to the PlayStation ecosystem. If they do release a Pro console that's 3 skus on the market all of which there losing a significant amount on. They may decide that it's not worth the investment considering the demand for Xbox series consoles can't justify it.
Sony doesnt need a Pro to compete with Xbox.
Sony also doesnt need extra power to boost VR-performance, as was the case last-gen.
Pro-market is relatively small.
They also stated late last-gen that a Pro-version won't be standard each gen and MS isn't planning one (unless it's, some secret they didn’t share with court).

There is little reason to releass a Pro.

Vertical stand is aseparate purchase?! wut mate

I tried telling people, Sony is pushing for high margins here.

We'll probably see some level of reverse between the availability of the DE vs Standard sku going forward. As they'll make more money selling people the add-on separately.

+50
+80

Then the vertical stand

+30

And then plates

+60

Overall on top of the 400 digital sku that they didn't want to sell people, they can now make $620 and that's before bundling in a game...

ReBurn

Gold Member
30% smaller? Why not call slim? $50 dollars more for digital, Sony is on full stupid mode.
Probably because it's still over 14 inches tall and over 3 inches thick for the digital. It's not exactly svelte.

I do hope it's easier to travel with.

LordOfChaos

I hope it's only quieter than any revision has been before, and there's no weird regressions for getting smaller and I heard dumping liquid metal

NEbeast

You have the latest fat revision ?

I am looking for taht topic and I can't find it now. Apparently on the latest ps5 revisions, the heatsink is glued and gets loose or something
I got mine replaced so I'm pretty sure it's a recent one. Are people forgetting to replace screws or something? Being glued on sounds so weird. I saw a guy post the link so I'll check it out.

LakeOf9

Lmao at the price difference in the disc drive EU vs US.

MS and Nintendo gotta bring the heat to Sony in Europe because they are clowning the old continent.
Nintendo is doing great in Europe, the issue is Sony doesn't seem to care about how Nintendo is doing, their competitive responses and analyses all seem to be centred around Xbox and only Xbox (look at how Sony treats Japan where they have been curb stomped into irrelevance by Nintendo... but are still doing better than Xbox).

This is why I hope the Switch 2 is in PS5 ballpark so Sony is forced to pay attention.

aclar00

Seems kinda expensive. And no vertical stand included? Serious Apple energy right there.
This is the new PlayStation division. They are attempting to emulate Apple whether directly or indirectly (or just the rest of Sony). Gone are the days of selling hardware at a loss. J. Ryan made sure to take advantage of Playstations Marketing position. At this rate, regardless of all the issues, Sony will do whatever it takes to increase profits on the backs of gamers because they are eating it up...inflation be damned.

Unfortunately, there really isnt anything tangible that would justify the increases to the consumer. That Sony Core video shit they have is essentially the damn media store they used to have. Maybe...maybe im missing some value added benefit...idk.

tmlDan

//DEVIL//

What's sad is that we got more content and actual pics of the unit months before Sony even announce anything today with a digital render and not an actual unit.

Also. Glossy again you fucking retards ?

PS3 and PS4 never taught you anything about the fact your system look like shit Nd scratched to hell and ugly as fuck after couple of weeks ?

The word retards to the designing team doesn't even cut it.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
I got mine replaced so I'm pretty sure it's a recent one. Are people forgetting to replace screws or something? Being glued on sounds so weird. I saw a guy post the link so I'll check it out.
let me know if you find something out.
I might want to buy new FAT just to stock up on fat before they are out of market

Smart move giving people the disc option for digital. Last time I checked digital version is selling way less. Also, that could opens cheap options on Aliexpress etc.

Xtib81

Looks better. But in what world does 80$ equal 120€ !!?
Anyway, call me when they introduce a pro model.

Last edited:
Top Bottom