• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New RE4 PS2 details

Solid

http://forum.capcom-europe.com/viewtopic.php?t=5584

Capcom Europe have reccently unveiled the following details regarding the new PS2 version of Resident Evil 4...
The ultimate horror...

Leon S. Kennedy survived the zombie outbreak in Raccoon City six years ago. Now he must rescue the President's daughter from a sinister village in central Europe. And face an enemy quicker, smarter and scarier than any zombie. The ultimate horror – more action , more epic , more fear than ever before.

The game the critics have been raving about comes to the PlayStation®2 . With exclusive new content that takes you deeper into terror...

• New story – play five action-packed scenarios exclusive to PlayStation®2, as Ada, the assassin shadowing Leon.

• New gameplay – find and unlock new weapons and items that change the way you confront your fears.

• New survival action – Forget "survival horror", this is Resident Evil redefined with more menacing enemies, intuitive controls and intense, action-packed gameplay.

Ranger X

I wonder if they mean it's 5 new scenario as Ada or "as Ada scenario" refering to the GC version --- mean there could be other playable characters...

human5892

Queen of Denmark
I love me some RE4, but I'm still not convinced about buying the game over again, even with these extras. I'd like to hear more about the scenarios and "new gameplay".

Ironclad

New weapons sound interesting but this alone couldn't get me to buy it again, but that's where the Ada scenarios come in. Should be interesting to see how they turn out.

Borys

Banned
Stupid Capcom whores.

Now I have to buy this game again for the exclusive content.
Probably $50, no less :(

And new "items" (not thinking about new weapons)? What could they be ?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
New weapons and significant new scenarios are two of the things I said would get me considering a second purchase.

Still wish they would have had an "assignment Luis" ;)

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I don't know...the way it reads, it sounds like the actual new content they are talking about the extra scenarios for Ada (four, I bet, since the GC one counts as a "level"). The "new weapons" and "new game play" stuff just sounds like it's talking about RE4 in general.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
you're probably right lyte. there's also some new cutscenes at the end of the E3 trailer, probably from the new scenarios

123rl

Sounds good but I won't buy it again. Well I would, but only if they added to the main game - and more than just new weapons which I'd never use (red 9, riot gun and original rifle all the way!)

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Only one of those bullet points sounds like new content but thats enough for me. Who the hell doesn't have a PS2 anyway?

don't have a cube, so I'll probably buy it. If the reviews are generall negative, then I'll just rent it.

Though solid RE4 sales on PS2 means a greater chance of RE5 being developed on PS3 first, so I'll probably buy it unless it is just a total mess on PS2.

This game gives us the ultimate definition of a SONY whore!

How can any gamer pass up goodness such as this for a year just to wait for SONY?

Whores! :)

maskrider

I'll probably buy it anyway, much like I bought both the Japanese and US GC versions. (Japanese version is the inferior version because of various reasons, e.g. traditional camera for Ashley only mission).

Because we don't want the experience sullied by the inferior Gamecube version, with its reduced content and non-widescreen graphics!

Ristamar

CVXFREAK said:
It's probably 4 more Assignment Ada-like missions. It's an extra, but admittedly not much.

Yeah. If the few Ada extras happen to be pretty good, perhaps I'll snag it if/when it ever hits the sub $20 price range.

Smiles and Cries said:
This game gives us the ultimate definition of a SONY whore!

How can any gamer pass up goodness such as this for a year just to wait for SONY?

Whores! :)
Can't speak for everyone else, but I can't see wasting $100 on a gamecube to play one game. Nintendo IP is not at all appealing to me, so what's the point to buying a GC when I can wait a year (while enjoying a bunch of other fantastic PS2 games) and get what amounts to basically a Director's Cut edition?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
maskrider said:
(Japanese version is the inferior version because of various reasons, e.g. traditional camera for Ashley only mission).

wait, do you mean the fixed camera positions like the original RE's?

maskrider

Wario64 said:
wait, do you mean the fixed camera positions like the original RE's?

Yes, with normal difficulty (play on easy and it will have the shoulder camera), you play as Ashley in traditional camera, which is really bad after you get used to the shoulder camera.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
...And after this Capcom announces Cube RE4 Director's Cut - PS2 Extra's, Cube graphics! :p

New weapons sounds interesting, hope they add something that really adds something to the game. M4 with Grenade Launcher, Flamethrower, something?

Guy LeDouche said:
Can't speak for everyone else, but I can't see wasting $100 on a gamecube to play one game. Nintendo IP is not at all appealing to me, so what's the point to buying a GC when I can wait a year (while enjoying a bunch of other fantastic PS2 games) and get what amounts to basically a Director's Cut edition?

1) You can buy a used GCN for $49
2) RE4 is $39.99 on cube, which means you can get if for ~$32 used with a EB/Gamestop Discount card
3) Zelda is coming...

Doesn't seem like such a bad deal to me to spend ~$82+ for both a cube and the game.

In fact, I've got $100 on trade-in value just sitting on a card after trading in some PS2 & PSP games. Hmmmmm... (I spend $40 bucks already on PSP HSG:OT, so I'm good for a while there)

AniHawk

Looks like I'll be renting this at the very least. Depends if the Ada stuff is available from the beginning. I'm not that big a fan of RE4's storyline to rebuy it just so I can play through the same areas as a different character. I'm interested in seeing what the new weapons are though.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Musashi Wins! said:
sonycowboy nooooooooooooooo!

Why?

There are enough good games on the cube that could warrant it's purchase. He could get Metroid Prime, Eternal Darkness, Wind Waker, Pikmin 1 & 2, new Zelda when it hits, and be playing RE4 instead of near the end of this year.

Personally, knowing how good RE4 is, I doubt the extras they have put in for the PS2 version really make it all that much better. I didn't really like Ada's mission and never finished it, so I can't see going back and playing more with her as a character.

I was playing RE4 on the Cube this morning, admiring how amazing the game looks...And any downgrade from what it currently looks like turns me off to the PS2 version.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Dr_Cogent said:
Why?

There are enough good games on the cube that could warrant it's purchase. He could get Metroid Prime, Eternal Darkness, Wind Waker, Pikmin 1 & 2, new Zelda when it hits, and be playing RE4 instead of near the end of this year.

Personally, knowing how good RE4 is, I doubt the extras they have put in for the PS2 version really make it all that much better. I didn't really like Ada's mission and never finished it, so I can't see going back and playing more with her as a character.

I was teasing him about trading in Sony items. RE4 is probably worth buying a GC for, it's that good, especially since you can track one down on eBay or the equivalent for extremely cheap. It's one of the best games this gen, and there are a couple of other games worth playing on GC as you say. I'm not as patient as some other people on here apparently.

Also: Game gets the ugly treatment on DS = "it's all about gameplay, bastards!"
Game gets added content/ugly treatment on PS2 = "I can't take the graphical downgrade!"

sonycowboy said:
1) You can buy a used GCN for $49
2) RE4 is $39.99 on cube, which means you can get if for ~$32 used with a EB/Gamestop Discount card
3) Zelda is coming...

Doesn't seem like such a bad deal to me to spend ~$82+ for both a cube and the game.

In fact, I've got $100 on trade-in value just sitting on a card after trading in some PS2 & PSP games. Hmmmmm... (I spend $40 bucks already on PSP HSG:OT, so I'm good for a while there)
~$82 to play a game now that I can play for $50 or less in a few months. Yeah, that's a good idea.

Also, I don't give a shit about Zelda. The whole franchise is one long snooze fest for me, and I've at least tried most of them. It comes out in November, right? I'll have GTA:LCS, Tiger Woods, RE4, Stacked, Genji, Wanda and the Colossus, SOCOM III, Burnout Revenge, MGS3:S, and probably some other stuff to play.

Drinky Crow said:
Because we don't want the experience sullied by the inferior Gamecube version, with its reduced content and non-widescreen graphics!

how worse graphics means being superior???oh wait its on a sony machine silly me............ :lol

Top Bottom