• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New RE4 PS2 details

Link316

Banned
Ponn01 said:
For those that didn't play it on Gamecube but could have and didn't get a Gamecube because they hate Nintendo for whatever reasons, then yea thats stupid.

if people wanna wait its their choice, this isn't any different from people who chose to wait for the Xbox version of GTA SA rather than buy a PS2 for it

The justification is different though. People do that because they think the PC and Xbox versions look better... plus there's custom soundtracks etc.

I think what he means is - some gamers who could have bought the Gamecube version, didn't just because they wanted to own it on PS2 instead. Nothing wrong with that, it's their choice, but they opened themselves upto criticism let's face it. No confirmed extra features until this thread today, and they were prepared to wait for the PS2 version even if it meant slightly inferior graphics and a 9 month wait. To those enjoying the game a few months back, that couldn't help but seem daft.

AniHawk

radioheadrule83 said:
The justification is different though. People do that because they think the PC and Xbox versions look better... plus there's custom soundtracks etc.

I think what he means is - some gamers who could have bought the Gamecube version, didn't just because they wanted to own it on PS2 instead. Nothing wrong with that, it's their choice, but they opened themselves upto criticism let's face it. No confirmed extra features until this thread today, and they were prepared to wait for the PS2 version even if it meant slightly inferior graphics and a 9 month wait. To those enjoying the game a few months back, that couldn't help but seem daft.

SAYS THE GUY WITH THE NINTENDO AVATAR.

Amir0x

Banned
Eh, I'm with the bargain bin people. I'm sure the new content will be neat, but not another 50 dollars neat.

Ponn

Banned
radioheadrule83 said:

Pretty much exactly yea If it was because you can't afford two consoles that's very understandable given the console situation like I said before. Again though, if you avoid a triple A game like RE4 on the gamecube just because you hate a company, then thats stupid. Having extreme emotions like hate or love for a brand or company is stupid anyways and you only end up depraving yourself.

Link316

Banned
radioheadrule83 said:
I think what he means is - some gamers who could have bought the Gamecube version, didn't just because they wanted to own it on PS2 instead. Nothing wrong with that, it's their choice, but they opened themselves upto criticism let's face it.

what makes you think that people who are waiting for the PS2 version also own a GC?

Zeo

Banned
Ponn01 said:
Pretty much exactly yea If it was because you can't afford two consoles that's very understandable given the console situation like I said before. Again though, if you avoid a triple A game like RE4 on the gamecube just because you hate a company, then thats stupid. Having extreme emotions like hate or love for a brand or company is stupid anyways and you only end up depraving yourself.

It might be just me, but I can't imagine not spending 50-60 bucks these days on a GC to pick up RE4, the upcoming Zelda, and other good games that have been released for it.

Especially with games like Wind Waker at 20 bucks (no denying it's a great game for that price) and F-Zero and friggin' 10 bucks. I can't fathom it really.

To each their own I guess.

Link316 said:
what makes you think that people who are waiting for the PS2 version also own a GC?

Without going back to find the threads, because I really can't be bothered (hitting the sack now, UKer here), I'm pretty sure there were people admitting as much on this forum. There was one thread by one guy that turned into a huge argumentative masterpiece because that's what he was basically saying. Own a GC, waiting for PS2 version.

Link316

Banned
even if you assume that all 18M GC owners own a PS2, you're still left with around 70M PS2 owners, you're actually going to assume that none of those 70M gamers are interested in RE4 and that the only ones interested are the 18M who could've bought the GC version months ago? :lol

AniHawk

Link316 said:
even if you assume that all 18M GC owners own a PS2, you're still left with around 70M PS2 owners, you're actually going to assume that none of those 70M gamers are interested in RE4 and that the only ones interested are the 18M who could've bought the GC version months ago? :lol

Are you still answering an earlier post of his?

Cheerilee

Link316 said:
Not that it's exactly what you're saying here, but I've never understood the "I'm too poor to own a GameCube" defense.

Anyone with a PS2 or XBox paid $50-100 extra to get a PS2 or Xbox over a GameCube.

Of course, it always turns into "But I had to do it, because there are no games on the Cube, and now I'm poor because of it." But there would be games if people had bought the freaking console. Nevermind the fact that there are a lot of great games available for the Cube, many of them exclusively.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
who cares about other people's buying habits? as long as they get to play one of the greatest games this generation, does it matter? i guess it does since ps2 owners get the superior version!

ruby_onix said:
Not that it's exactly what you're saying here, but I've never understood the "I'm too poor to own a GameCube" defense.

Anyone with a PS2 or XBox paid $50-100 extra to get a PS2 or Xbox over a GameCube.

Of course, it always turns into "But I had to do it, because there are no games on the Cube, and now I'm poor because of it." But there would be games if people had bought the freaking console. Nevermind the fact that there are a lot of great games available for the Cube, many of them exclusively.
:lol

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
AniHawk said:
I really hope the PS2 version means we'll finally get a soundtrack for the game. I love the music that plays at the beginning of disc 2, before you do anything. My favorite in the entire game. I think that's the last time it plays too.

I'm sayin. I've been lookin for that damn soundtrack since I beat assignment ada and heard those 2 jazz tracks at the end and I think Wario suggested I get the soundtrack. I must of searched 30 sites and found nothing before I found out the soundtrack wasn't even released. I just wanted a rip of those 2 songs anyway and the rest of the soundtrack is good but not listen in the car good.

Wario64 said:
who cares about other people's buying habits? as long as they get to play one of the greatest games this generation, does it matter? i guess it does since ps2 owners get the superior version!

I support your opinion.

Mrbob

Wario64 said:

Here lies the problem for Cubies. :) Why can't they just be happy with getting the game first? It even made non Nintendo fans like me buy a GC, if only for a moment in time! It'll be fun to replay this game in full widescreen glory! I hope it is 480P as well. 480i would suck! I'd say Capcom isn't dumb enough to offer a 480i 16:9 game but this is Capcom we are talking about!

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Mrbob said:
Here lies the problem for Cubies. :) Why can't they just be happy with getting the game first? It even made non Nintendo fans like me buy a GC, if only for a moment in time! It'll be fun to replay this game in full widescreen glory! I hope it is 480P as well. 480i would suck! I'd say Capcom isn't dumb enough to offer a 480i 16:9 game but this is Capcom we are talking about!

So the PS2 crowd didn't have a cow when Xbox got GTA and MGS? Aren't some of them currently having a cow over Ridge Racer going to 360? This is the same all around the fanboys are protective of their exclusives no matter what system it is.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Fuk that the better example was how PS2 owners got all uppity when they announced the RE main series being exclusive to Gamecube in 2001. And now that its finally comin home we got a point fingers and the few cubies who got too aquainted with having the series exclusive?

Mrbob

Naw. GTA already sells 5.5 million on PS2 before the Xbox version is out. Plus Substance came to PS2. Can't really explain Ridge Racer, though. I don't get it, myself.

Fuk that the better example was how PS2 owners got all uppity when they announced the RE main series being exclusive to Gamecube in 2001. And now that its finally comin home we got a point fingers and the few cubies who got too aquainted with having the series exclusive?

I think Capcom learned their lesson. :) Don't move away from your fanbase. If you want to bring the series to other systems, fine. But don't abandon the platform where you make your money on. RE series is not Final Fantasy.

Wario64 said:
ebony & ivory

They'd actually kick ass, dual .45's-- :D

Capcom USUALLY does well with load times (ignore the shit that is anything related to Resident Evil Outbreak...sorry CVX--I must trash your favorite game :lol )

-RECV Good load times
-DMC1/2/3 Good load times
-Haunting Ground Alright...I guess
-Onimusha 1/2/3 Good load times

And basically 95% of every other damn Capcom game has pretty fast load times and interface etc.

cvxfreak

C- Warrior said:
Capcom USUALLY does well with load times (ignore the shit that is anything related to Resident Evil Outbreak...sorry CVX--I must trash your favorite game :lol )

:lol Outbreak's not my favorite game. Yoko rocks the fucking boat, but the games she's in are definitely not high on my list.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Actually that game probably has the best loading times of all the games you listed - because it has no load times. It streams the environments on the fly as far as I know.

Monk

Banned
Why do you guys have to make this into a bad thing. People should be happy it's getting ported to a console that can actually sell it. Gamecube fans should face the fact that only Nintendo games sell on Nintendo's systems.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
CVXFREAK said:
:lol Outbreak's not my favorite game. Yoko rocks the fucking boat, but the games she's in are definitely not high on my list.
Which reminds me, I'm now set for co-op online play. Get online already!

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Musashi Wins! said:
It's an excellent policy, if true.

Eh. It falls in line with their "NO 2D GAMES FOR FULL PRICE" rumored policy. I'm not saying it's good or bad, but it does seem like Sony likes to keep a short leash on their third parties.

Side note: I wonder if we'll see an online Outbreak game for the DS?

EDIT: Drat. That should be "leash," not "lease." Silly me.

Mrbob

DavidDayton said:
Eh. It falls in line with their "NO 2D GAMES FOR FULL PRICE" rumored policy. I'm not saying it's good or bad, but it does seem like Sony likes to keep a short lease on their third parties.

Side note: I wonder if we'll see an online Outbreak game for the DS?

Yeah but I'd say their port policy is something I'd admire as a PS2 fan. Sony just won't accept sloppy seconds!

Code_Link

radioheadrule83 said:
No confirmed extra features until this thread today, and they were prepared to wait for the PS2 version even if it meant slightly inferior graphics and a 9 month wait.

Ever since they announced the PS2 version, we've always known it would have extras.

Guy LeDouche said:
Also, I don't give a shit about Zelda. The whole franchise is one long snooze fest for me, and I've at least tried most of them. It comes out in November, right? I'll have GTA:LCS, Tiger Woods, RE4, Stacked, Genji, Wanda and the Colossus, SOCOM III, Burnout Revenge, MGS3:S, and probably some other stuff to play.

Nothing like putting down one "snoozefest" franchise and listing 6 others as games to definitely play;p

Code_Link

citrus lump said:
Nothing like putting down one "snoozefest" franchise and listing 6 others as games to definitely play;p

To be fair, that's an awesome list. Nothing even remotely close to Zelda, but a good list nonetheless.

Code_Link said:
To be fair, that's an awesome list. Nothing even remotely close to Zelda, but a good list nonetheless.
thanks, I guess. It's just personal opinion. I usually like western devs and genres over their japanese counterparts, but there are always exceptions (I'm playing ICO right now, for example).

GTA 4 lyfe

edit: in my own defense, I want to point out that I have tried a handful of Zelda games. I just don't like them at all.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
DavidDayton said:
Eh. It falls in line with their "NO 2D GAMES FOR FULL PRICE" rumored policy. I'm not saying it's good or bad, but it does seem like Sony likes to keep a short lease on their third parties.

Seems to be working well, if 3rd parties are the issue. Certainly compared to the middling GC.

Not to interrupt the fanboy contest but both EGM and GameInformer hinted that one of the new weapons would be a chainsaw. So there's one down.

Also, I am a PS2 owner and not a GC owner, so the wait is justified for me. And yeah Zelda is awesome, but I won't drop the cash for a GC just for that alone, not if Rev is BC... :)

SantaC

Mac the KNife said:
Also, I am a PS2 owner and not a GC owner, so the wait is justified for me. And yeah Zelda is awesome, but I won't drop the cash for a GC just for that alone

Haven't you heard, Zelda is coming to PS2 with extra content.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Musashi Wins! said:
Seems to be working well, if 3rd parties are the issue. Certainly compared to the middling GC.

Eh. I never said it didn't work well for Sony. Third parties publish there because they'd be insane not to -- however, it isn't always the friendliest company to work with.

(No, I'm not saying Nintendo presses the suits of 3rd parties. Actually, I'm not even attempting to compare Nintendo's ineptness with Sony's clever machinations.)

Paladin69 said:
Complete with jaggies so bad, that the Cube jaggies look like FSAA in comparison.

Not to mention the PS2 lighting looks really dull, almost to the point where it is non-existent.

Yeah, it's too bad someone like Namco didn't handle the graphics.

C- Warrior said:
They'd actually kick ass, dual .45's-- :D

-RECV Good load times
-DMC1/2/3 Good load times
-Onimusha 1/2/3 Good load times

And basically 95% of every other damn Capcom game has pretty fast load times and interface etc.

Raises hand...
Haunting Ground was not made by Capcom. That game was made by the guys that made Clock Tower 3.

Haunting Ground has no load times at all.
After the initial screen thats it.
The loads between the rooms are pretty much unnoticeable.
I'm talking .01 seconds.

Still, too bad Namco didn't do RE4's graphics for PS2.
Who knows though, maybe RE4 on PS2 will come out looking fine.
I'm sure common folk like X-Play won't know the difference.

Daigoro

this game sounds like perfect Bargain Bin material!

im all over it in a few months after release.

CVXFREAK said:

*sniff* i love Outbreak...

IS THAT SO WRONG?!

:)

Top Bottom