• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New RE4 PS2 details

Prine

Banned
still gotta beat RE4 on Gc ffs. I just have no motivation to continue playing it even though its my current GOTY.

Apenheul

Hm I don't see how any of the two versions is clearly superior. It's just the tradeof SLIGHTLY better graphics (I mean come on, PRT lighting and non-palettized textures don't guarantee a huge difference, it's still the overall artwork that counts) or some extra content. I already own the cube version but I'm willing to buy the PS2 version for the extra content, although not at full price of course.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
I can't believe people are going to buy this game twice.

Simply astounding.

No matter how good a game is, I never buy it twice. Ever.

Razoric

Banned
It's gonna be sad to see the graphically shittastic version of RE4 sell a boat load. Most will never know a far superior version has already been out a year with minimal buy-in price.

:(

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Dr_Cogent said:

Simply astounding.

It's one of the best games this gen. If it has added content, why wouldn't you at least consider it? It's like having the directors cut of a film or something (assuming the content is significant...if it's not of course I won't buy it.) I wouldn't do it for many games, but this one I sure would.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Musashi Wins! said:
It's one of the best games this gen. If it has added content, why wouldn't you at least consider it? It's like having the directors cut of a film or something (assuming the content is significant...if it's not of course I won't buy it.) I wouldn't do it for many games, but this one I sure would.

To me, it is the best game this gen, but I am not going to spend another 50 bucks on it. The extras can't possibly make it worth running through all over again once or even multiple times (for me that is). I also have plenty of games to play as is, so I wouldn't even touch it if I bought it again.

Also, I have a limited gaming budget. I can't be spending it on redundant purchases. I also have very little free time as a parent.

Some people on here appear to have very little responsibilities and a whole lotta cash to waste too. :)

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Solid said:
dr_cogent you dont even have a ps2 so how the hell would you rebuy it? plz save the bullshit.

Well, no shit sherlock. But the point is, even if I did - I still wouldn't be buying it again.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Solid said:
dr_cogent you dont even have a ps2 so how the hell would you rebuy it? plz save the bullshit.

Well I own a PS2 and I feel the same way as he does. The only way I would ever consider buying RE4 again is if a director's cut was released for the Gamecube and it let you import your RE4 save so you can have quicker access to some of the new stuff.

Edit: I wouldn't pay more than $20 for a director's cut either. Plus they would have to add more content to the game...like new outfits or an Ashley scenario or something. The new weapons sound good in theory but RE4 already had a ton of weapons and I only ended up using a select few of them.

ruby_onix said:
Nevermind the fact that there are a lot of great games available for the Cube, many of them exclusively.

If those games interested those people who don't own the GC, wouldn't they own the system? They don't own it because there aren't enough games on the system to actually interest them. So they wait for the PS2 version of RE4 even if its not as good looking.

Amir0x

Banned
Dr_Cogent said:

Simply astounding.

I don't think it can be generalized like this. It really depends on the content/upgrade. For me, this sort of upgrade is worth a repurchase at bargain bin prices. 10-20 bucks is not exactly burnin' my bank, if ya know what I mean. But I'd gladly pay a full 50 bucks for a game I loved if the remake was truly huge. Just to give you a passing example, if the remake of FFVII was actually made for PS3 and had, say, those spectacular visuals on top of new scenarios, new items, new storyline segments and filled out/more coherent writing at points it'd be easily worth the price.

Insert any game you really love in place of "FFVII" and, you wouldn't find it worth that? It's all about what you include.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Amir0x said:
I don't think it can be generalized like this. It really depends on the content/upgrade. For me, this sort of upgrade is worth a repurchase at bargain bin prices. 10-20 bucks is not exactly burnin' my bank, if ya know what I mean. But I'd gladly pay a full 50 bucks for a game I loved if the remake was truly huge. Just to give you a passing example, if the remake of FFVII was actually made for PS3 and had, say, those spectacular visuals on top of new scenarios, new items, new storyline segments and filled out/more coherent writing at points it'd be easily worth the price.

Insert any game you really love in place of "FFVII" and, you wouldn't find it worth that? It's all about what you include.

I agree with you on the remake idea. This isn't a remake though, so I just can't see the justification. If they remade one of my favorite games, I might possibly buy it. But the exact same game with a few added extras - no.

Even bargin bin prices is pushing it for me because of my free time and limited gaming income.

Amir0x

Banned
Dr_Cogent said:
I agree with you on the remake idea. This isn't a remake though, so I just can't see the justification. If they remade one of my favorite games, I might possibly buy it. But the exact same game with a few added extras - no.

Oh, I know this isn't a remake. I'm just saying that it all depends on how much you put into making the 'same game' something more, and how much you actually love the game. For instance, I love RE4 so much that they can just remake it with next-gen visuals on Revolution and leave everything else exactly the same and I'd buy it at a decent price.

The PS2 version is such a game that requires a bargain bin price for me. Perhaps those new exclusive scenarios add some insight into the overall story, and because I love RE4 so much it's worth that small fee.

So content is what it's about for me (also, love).

Solid

sell your gamecube version now and save the cash for the ps2 version this november. that way you will only pay like for a budget title. you win.

Ranger X

Amir0x said:

Shit, just a graphical upgrade like in the little E3 movie and would buy it WITHOUT HESITATION. ;)

jarrod

Banned
MidgarBlowedUp said:
Raises hand...
Haunting Ground was not made by Capcom. That game was made by the guys that made Clock Tower 3.
Er, that was Capcom Studio 3. They developed the game under Sunsoft's supervision.

Capcom Studio 1 developed Haunting Ground.

Fight for Freeform said:
What's with these retarded posts? No counter point, no real point in general...Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints..

I took the post as sarcasm, because I know you really don't believe that the PS2 version will look better because of progressive scan......considering the fact that the Cube version does run in pro-scan.

If you do....then your post is retarded, with a dash of PCP induced hallucinations.

FightyF

Banned
Are you serious? The Cube version runs in pro-scan? If I knew that I would have bought it the day it came out. GC games often have bad image quality and one reason is the lack of ps.

Ah well, I might as well play it with all the extras... No use in getting the GC version now...

Mode

umm.... you guys know what Assignment Ada is, right? You play through the same levels again looking for vials placed in various spots, but with Ada. I played through the GC Assignment Ada once, and that was enough for me.

If the PS2 version has 5 more scenarios that have you do just that, and in levels that you've already gone through with Leon, I'll feel sorry for you guys. You are just getting more filler. If in fact the PS2 version gets a large amount of new areas to explore (that aren't half-assed), then the PS2 version will probably be superior content-wise.... otherwise.... ummm... it'll be like when I bought Symphony of the Night on the Saturn and experienced the horror of getting the "superior" version (for those of you who don't know, the Saturn version had 2 new extremely lame levels, a half-assed mode where you could play as Richter or Maria, new items/weapons that were pretty useless except for the speed boots, while having more load time and slowdown compared to the PS version which came out months before.)

But hey, I'm a pessimist.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Fight for Freeform said:
Are you serious? The Cube version runs in pro-scan? If I knew that I would have bought it the day it came out.
How did you not know that? There were only about a thousand threads and previews for the game.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Fight for Freeform said:
Well I just based it on the history of the GC.

... which makes it even more odd, given that most of the "big" GC games feature progressive scan output.

(Right?)

Solid

IGN said:
The GameCube build seems to retain a visual edge over the PS2 port, due mostly to a slightly higher polygon count and additional filtering. But at the end of the day, gamers are likely to be hard-pressed to tell the differences between the two versions if they are not forewarned.
:)

lachesis

First of all, I'm not a believer of "enhanced" versions - yes, there are some exceptions which they do add substantial amount of "new" things - but at least not for RE series - as I'm not feeling missing out anything.

CV to CVX, RE to RE-DC, etc... it's still the same damn game. Extra hunter or not, it doesn't alter the game that much - unless it's RE:Birth calibur of total-remaking, it's not worth it in many cases.

While I'm happy the game is coming out on PS2 as well - but I just don't think whatever additions they've put it in would make the game any better than what it is for now... unless they emphasize Ashley's equipment even more so than US GC version of RE4. ;)

lachesis

LakeEarth

I would want to see what plot develops from this extra version. From the preview for the PS2 version it looks like more
Wesker
and that's always a good thing.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
DavidDayton said:
... which makes it even more odd, given that most of the "big" GC games feature progressive scan output.

(Right?)

Well, Resident Evil and RE-Zero both lacked progressive scan support.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Killer 7 doesn't have proscan support either. :(

Dr_Cogent said:

Simply astounding.

Twice? Twice is nothing. There's people that have bought the same Street Fighter releases OVER AND OVER AGAIN for years now.

And sadly, I'm one of them. ^_^;

I'm definitely picking up the PS2 RE4, but I'm not selling off the GC version unless the PS2 version plays as smoothly and has as many characters on screen at one time. I still have to see the final version in motion to believe it.

Still hoping this "upgraded" RE4 gets a GC release or an Xbox release...

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
radioheadrule83 said:
Nothing wrong with that, it's their choice, but they opened themselves upto criticism let's face it.

Why in the world should I or anyone else be criticized for being smart o.o? I got all 3 systems but as soon as it was known RE4 PS2 would happen I decided to wait. You can say we were waiting on extras that weren't ever confirmed until now...but come on! A years wait and past and knowledge of loads of enhanced Capcom ports made it pretty obvious that more would be added confirmed up to the bitter end or not. -_-

Ryck

Lindsay said:
Why in the world should I or anyone else be criticized for being smart o.o? I got all 3 systems but as soon as it was known RE4 PS2 would happen I decided to wait. You can say we were waiting on extras that weren't ever confirmed until now...but come on! A years wait and past and knowledge of loads of enhanced Capcom ports made it pretty obvious that more would be added confirmed up to the bitter end or not. -_-
Me too, well more acurately I had way too many games to play at the time. I also own all three systems and I have been eyeing Re4 for some time now. After enduring Mgs3 on my widescreen Hdtv I promised my self I wouldn't buy any more games that didn't support widescreen or pro scan ( or one or the other) and so when I heard The Ps2 version had widescreen support I decided I would buy it. (Will it also include Pro scan I didn't want to read through 4 pages )

Solid

Lindsay said:
You can say we were waiting on extras that weren't ever confirmed until now...but come on! A years wait and past and knowledge of loads of enhanced Capcom ports made it pretty obvious that more would be added confirmed up to the bitter end or not. -_-
indeed. viewtiful joe was a clear indication to that.

Zeo

Banned
Lindsay said:

I don't see how you can act like the extra content (which isn't very good considering the Ada missions aren't too fun in the first place) is worth waiting almost a year, especially considering you can buy the GC version that looks better (no matter how people want to spin it).

Top Bottom