• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New RE4 PS2 details

jarrod

Banned
Heh, a month before PS2 release Capcom should just announce RE4 Director's Cut for GC with the extra content/widescreen added. Maybe an Xbox port too. :)

Guy LeDouche said:
~$82 to play a game now that I can play for $50 or less in a few months. Yeah, that's a good idea.

Also, I don't give a shit about Zelda. The whole franchise is one long snooze fest for me, and I've at least tried most of them. It comes out in November, right? I'll have GTA:LCS, Tiger Woods, RE4, Stacked, Genji, Wanda and the Colossus, SOCOM III, Burnout Revenge, MGS3:S, and probably some other stuff to play.

sounds more like a fanboy case to me..........still at least you seem to be interested in decent games like Wanda and Colossus...........

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Dr_Cogent said:
That doesn't count I am afraid
To me it does, because that's how I play pretty much all the games lately.

There really is no reason not to use HDL in my opinion. HDDs are cheap, and there's no modding involved.

I've already said that I'm going to finally get the Cube if this game turns out to be crappy on PS2, but I doubt loading will be a problem.

cvxfreak

I wonder if this RE4 version will make it to the GC. Capcom certainly has the means (the game has to go Player's Choice) and Capcom did it with CODE: Veronica Complete on the Japanese Dreamcast.

jarrod

Banned
CVXFREAK said:
I wonder if this RE4 version will make it to the GC. Capcom certainly has the means (the game has to go Greatest Hits) and Capcom did it with CODE: Veronica Complete on the Japanese Dreamcast.
It'd be a smart move since all the work is pretty much done, they could probably port the extras in a week or two and nab an extra 300-500k worldwide with little effort. Personally I think they should port it to Xbox/PC as well, RE4 should be pushed as hard as possible to as many bases as possible. It really is Capcom's most important title this generation imo, even if it can't match up to DMC1 or Onimusha 1/2 in sales.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
jarrod said:
Maybe an Xbox port too. :)
I would purchase that... provided it had a extra mission where Leon and Ada explore a lost and recently re-emerged spaceship, 300 years after its disappearance.

Bluemercury said:
sounds more like a fanboy case to me..........still at least you seem to be interested in decent games like Wanda and Colossus...........
Well, he asked, so I answered.

I only have a PS2 and PSP, but not really because I would objectively consider myself a blind sony fanboy, but because I don't have time for 2 or 3 home systems and multiple portable systems. I need the best bang for my buck, so PS2 it is. I was never really interested in GBA/SP/DS because I want this-gen graphics. I played sprite-based 2D adventure games when I was a kid. They aren't that interesting to me anymore. Now, a portable 3D GTA? Giddy up.

Ranger X

CVXFREAK said:
I wonder if this RE4 version will make it to the GC. Capcom certainly has the means (the game has to go Greatest Hits) and Capcom did it with CODE: Veronica Complete on the Japanese Dreamcast.

With the state of the GC right now (and the state it will be in 2006) + the sales of RE4 = minor chances to see this "director's cut version" imo. Very little chance.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
I'm all for the new extras but I really want to see the thing moving on PS2 before I decide to pick up that version. So much of the RE4 experience was the amazing graphics. If they're seriously downgraded on PS2 it just won't be the same.

SantaC

I wonder what weapons they decided to add. RE4 cube is packed with all sorts of weapons already.

Paladin69

ypo said:
I'm glad that I waited for the complete version.

Complete with jaggies so bad, that the Cube jaggies look like FSAA in comparison.

Not to mention the PS2 lighting looks really dull, almost to the point where it is non-existent.

Link316

Banned
Paladin69 said:
Not to mention the PS2 lighting looks really dull, almost to the point where it is non-existent.

that's ok, I'm gonna turn off the color on my TV and play this in B&W anyway

• New story – play five action-packed scenarios exclusive to PlayStation®2, as Ada, the assassin shadowing Leon.

• New gameplay – find and unlock new weapons and items that change the way you confront your fears.

• New survival action – Forget "survival horror", this is Resident Evil redefined with more menacing enemies, intuitive controls and intense, action-packed gameplay.

Just throwing this out there:

Mercenaries levels + assignment ada = 5 levels
The other two quotes sound like blurb of the back of the existing GC box.

If it's 5 seperate Ada levels then I'm wrong, but this just reads very suspiciously to me. Like instead of doing anything really exclusive, things are unlocked from the start.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
It says exclusive to PS2 version but you suspect it's the GC content unlocked? That seems a tad unlikely. I'm not saying it will be worthwhile content, but you guys are stretching things now.

It just read wierd to me.. I probably am thinking too much along lines conspiratorial...

true widescreen is great though. Anyone who hasn't bought this game already is a fucking douchebag who'd better buy it on one or the other. Or else...well... nothing actually.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
the PS2 version is so damn good, it gets the seal of nintendo

281248b.jpg

AniHawk

I really hope the PS2 version means we'll finally get a soundtrack for the game. I love the music that plays at the beginning of disc 2, before you do anything. My favorite in the entire game. I think that's the last time it plays too.

Jacobi

Banned
After playing through RE4 today, I think the graphics will take a massive downgrade at some situations (
that flower...looked the rebirth demo BTW yay
). So...yeah, RE4DC for GC let it happen Capcom

jarrod

Banned
Wyzdom said:
With the state of the GC right now (and the state it will be in 2006) + the sales of RE4 = minor chances to see this "director's cut version" imo. Very little chance.
I dunno, Dreamcast was much worse off in 2001 when it got CV Perfect. This would be a good move for Capcom mostly because all the work's pretty much done, it'd be like a free SKU for them.

NWO

Musashi Wins! said:
Also: Game gets the ugly treatment on DS = "it's all about gameplay, bastards!"
Game gets added content/ugly treatment on PS2 = "I can't take the graphical downgrade!"

To be fair its not like the Resident Evil game is coming to the DS and PSP with people choosing the DS version over the PSP version. With RE4 you have people not only taking the inferior graphics but there willing to wait 9 months to play it. I mean if the DS Resident Evil was coming to the PSP I wouldn't expect ANYBODY to pick it up.

Kinda disappointed that all the extras don't even sound like anything extra. I mean I'd pick this baby up if it had new levels and bosses but it doesn't. Hopefully they will release this version with better graphics and some actual new content for the Xbox because I'd shell out another $50 to get that.

Link316

Banned
NWO said:
To be fair its not like the Resident Evil game is coming to the DS and PSP with people choosing the DS version over the PSP version. With RE4 you have people not only taking the inferior graphics but there willing to wait 9 months to play it. I mean if the DS Resident Evil was coming to the PSP I wouldn't expect ANYBODY to pick it up.

thing is the difference between a GC & PS2 version is not as wide as the difference between a DS & PSP version of a game

NWO said:
Kinda disappointed that all the extras don't even sound like anything extra.

if the extras aren't all that then maybe GC fans should stop fussing over it and just let PS2 owners enjoy their port

Ponn

Banned
Solid said:
this game have a nasty habit of bringing the worst out of fanboys :p

I always find it funny that Nintendo fans keep spouting their graphics don't manner mantra when it comes to talking about DS games and PSP games but when it comes to this RE4 on PS2 graphics suddenly matter.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
you cube owners who already own it going to seriously buy it again? It was a great great game, but was it that great?

You people must be filthy rich buying a game twice.

123rl

Ponn01 said:
I always find it funny that Nintendo fans keep spouting their graphics don't manner mantra when it comes to talking about DS games and PSP games but when it comes to this RE4 on PS2 graphics suddenly matter.

And Sony fanboys do the opposite.

RE4 is an all-time favorite and I ponied up full price for the GC version, so I'll likely be picking up the PS2 version if the new content is worthwhile. But only when it hits $20 or less and when enough time has passed to hear any news or not of any possible Xbox version.

Mrbob

As a former Gamecube owner who bought a GC just for RE4 there wasn't anything compelling me to keep the system after I beat the game.

catfish said:
you cube owners who already own it going to seriously buy it again? It was a great great game, but was it that great?

You people must be filthy rich buying a game twice.

Bought all my GC stuff for 240. Sold it off for 220. You don't have to be rich. Just smart! It'll be worth it to play this game again in true widescreen mode! Extras are icing on the cake!

Ponn

Banned
123rl said:
And Sony fanboys do the opposite.

That graphics do matter? Well, yea I would agree with that. Despite what the holier than thou people want to act on forums of course graphics matter. If not we would all still be playing nintendo's and genesis. You do have extremes on both ends as well, and those are the funniest ones (especially the ones donating their money too Nintendo through paypal). For instance I could care less how beautiful most FPS are turning out, the gameplay is just getting really old too me. On the flip side really bad graphics (see Black and White DS) can be a turn off.

I also agree with the sentiment of people should have, and still should, just get the RE4 Gamecube version. The system is cheap enough and their are enough good games on the system to warrant a purchase. Especially if you are any sort of RE fan. After RE 2 the series kind of died for me but RE4 was just jaw dropping good in every way.

I can't wait for this game, I am buying it on day 1. After watching the "fear 1 & 2" movie trailer by eye vs hand I am so hyped about this, come on november!1!

Hmm, very tempting, I adored RE4 so some extras would be nice. I can't even begin to imagine trying to aim with the same accuracy with the Dual Shock stick though so i'll probabily have to pass :(

Sapiens

I love playing ports. I love sampling different versions of the same game. Can't wait to try this one out and make comparrisons.

Cheerilee

Guy LeDouche said:
... and get what amounts to basically a Director's Cut edition?
The director isn't making the PS2 version. He quit (sort of). RE4-PS2 is more of a "Publisher's Rewrite".

The real RE4 Director's Cut is "Mikami's Head Off", and the director already promised that to GameCube owners, except that it seems he's never going to get around to making it. :lol

123rl

Graphics do matter (I'd never say they don't) but there is far more to games than how they look. If the PS2 version plays at a steady framerate, and doesn't look too bad in motion then I'm sure it will be very playable

That graphics do matter? Well, yea I would agree with that. Despite what the holier than thou people want to act on forums of course graphics matter.

No, they say that graphics matter for PSP vs DS, but they don't matter for the home consoles (ie RE4 GC vs PS2)

I mean that some people (not saying who) go on and on about graphics when they're trolling every topic about the DS. But when it comes to RE4 they're willing to play a graphically inferior game just because it's not on the GC

Hell, I don't care what people think...if they think graphics are all that matters then that's their choice. If they want to restrict themselves to inferior versions of games because they hate Nintendo then that's their choice as well.

I'm sure I'll get called a fanboy for this but I can assure you I'm not. Nintendo, Sony and MS fanboys all piss me off equally. I'm well past the stage where I care about fanboys and pathetic fanboy arguments

Ponn

Banned
123rl said:
Graphics do matter (I'd never say they don't) but there is far more to games than how they look. If the PS2 version plays at a steady framerate, and doesn't look too bad in motion then I'm sure it will be very playable

No, they say that graphics matter for PSP vs DS, but they don't matter for the home consoles (ie RE4 GC vs PS2)

I mean that some people (not saying who) go on and on about graphics when they're trolling every topic about the DS. But when it comes to RE4 they're willing to play a graphically inferior game just because it's not on the GC

Hell, I don't care what people think...if they think graphics are all that matters then that's their choice. If they want to restrict themselves to inferior versions of games because they hate Nintendo then that's their choice as well.

I'm sure I'll get called a fanboy for this but I can assure you I'm not. Nintendo, Sony and MS fanboys all piss me off equally. I'm well past the stage where I care about fanboys and pathetic fanboy arguments

I think the RE4 on the PS2 is a little bit more then just people hating Nintendo, though yes their are fanboys everywhere so there may be a few. Alot of people only have money for one console and from obvious sales numbers alot chose the PS2. And for those people thats fine, they will get their version of RE4. For those that didn't play it on Gamecube but could have and didn't get a Gamecube because they hate Nintendo for whatever reasons, then yea thats stupid.

Top Bottom