• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Officer Yanez Found Not Guilty On All Counts In Castile’s Death

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
THC will impair your ability to comply with demands. He had a gun, and he wasn't complying fast enough. He moved his hands towards his waist, and since folks high on marijuana can be twitchy and aggressively unpredictable, the cop feared for his life.

It was a good, clean shot. Didn't even hit the passenger. That's true marksmanship.
except theres no real way for the officer to know that he was high. Second of all it was widely reported that Castille had announced he had a gun with a carry permit and was going to show him. That is not grounds to shoot someone.

Two Words

Our judicial system isn't equipped to properly try cops. Far too many cop-lovers to ever properly convict a cop for shit like this.

Black people need to realize they are on a nationwide code. They get rewarded killing blacks. I mean look you have video evidence and still gets away. The whole system is set up to put down blacks.

Sick of the fake outrage to by non blacks if you cared you would help but you dont.

vQDFsKn.jpg

"But if you get quiet, keep to yourselves and just do for your own community you're racist too!"

Opto

Banned
Fuck you jury. Where's the massive NRA protests against this? Where are the white gun owners marching to the station carrying small firearms in solidarity?

HariKari

Michael Slager should have rolled the dice at this rate instead of pleading guilty. Impossible to convict cops it seems like. Even when they shoot a person that poses no threat at all and it's on camera.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
except theres no real way for the officer to know that he was high. Second of all it was widely reported that Castille had announced he had a gun with a carry permit and was going to show him. That is not grounds to shoot someone.

Of course they can. Every cop is trained on micro movements and what they say about the perp. A regular black person who's not high takes about 1/3rd of a second to blink their eyes. Philando took over half a second to blink his eyes, showing that there was obvious impairment. He probably reeked of mary jane.

Plus, EVERYONE knows that if you're going to shoot a cop, you let the cop know that you're carrying a weapon, because that keeps it fair. You already know the cop is armed, it's only respectful that he knows the same. They both drew tried to go for their weapons but the cop was less hindered because he wasn't high like Philando obviously was, and was therefore victorious.

The cop even made sure that he fired at the perp in such a way as not to hit THE UNARMED WOMAN AND CHILD IN THE DAMNED CAR.

Man I can't...

Do what every other animal on earth does when they are attacked you fight back. When black people get murdered they want us to be peaceful and all that bullshit. When white people get murdered you see vengeance carried out swift.

One thing is for certain: it's time for talk of "forgiveness" "prayer" "unity" to come to an end.
There are people who are okay with verdicts like the one handed down today and there are people who arent. There is no "if", and no "but", there's a line in the sand, which side are you on?

n64coder

Hell that not even a jury of his peers

Yes, there were two blacks on the jury but they were young. I could see them changing their vote after getting tired of deliberating or they deferred to their fellow jurors under the assumption that they know more about what's right/wrong than they do.

Some of the jurors mentioned that you need to keep your hands visible and do not move. I bet that's why they voted for acquittal. I feel that is bullshit and you shouldn't assume that someone is going to pull a gun on you. Cops are too paranoid and jumpy.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Sorry protest don't work for black people. All this shit that happened in the last 5 years protest aint really work not once.

Real talk. I have to do something. Seriously man, I have to. I can't just be pissed on the internet. I have to make my voice heard somehow. There has to be a way to cause change.

Fuck you jury. Where's the massive NRA protests against this? Where are the white gun owners marching to the station carrying small firearms in solidarity?

The NRA does not care about this case even though they should. Philando was a black man in america.

captive

I pray I don't get pulled over on my way to or from the gun range.

Do I pull my wallet before the cop arrives at my vehicle?

Does his misconstrue that as an attempt to hide evidence?

Do I wait until he arrives at my vehicle?

Does he misconstrue my movement to my pocket as reaching for something?

Do I inform him I have firearms legally in the car?

Do I just roll the dice that he doesn't look?

Meanwhile White folks go to Starbucks with their shit and order a venti...
always go to the gun range with a white friend or friends.

Mesousa

Banned
Real talk. I have to do something. Seriously man, I have to. I can't just be pissed on the internet. I have to make my voice heard somehow. There has to be a way to cause change.

If you're black your voice, like your life, does not mean a damn thing to anybody in America. This case is just another example of this.

captive

Of course they can. Every cop is trained on micro movements and what they say about the perp. A regular black person who's not high takes about 1/3rd of a second to blink their eyes. Philando took over half a second to blink his eyes, showing that there was obvious impairment. He probably reeked of mary jane.

Plus, EVERYONE knows that if you're going to shoot a cop, you let the cop know that you're carrying a weapon, because that keeps it fair. You already know the cop is armed, it's only respectful that he knows the same. They both drew tried to go for their weapons but the cop was less hindered because he wasn't high like Philando obviously was, and was therefore victorious.

The cop even made sure that he fired at the perp in such a way as not to hit THE UNARMED WOMAN AND CHILD IN THE DAMNED CAR.

Man I can't...
thank god, i thought you were for serious

This is the continued preservation and normalization of a system created by white people for white people.

The problem was the jury which didn't seem to be impartial and consisted of cop lovers. That said it could have hurt that Castile was black but on the whole I'd think the reason this cop got off was because the jurors were cop lovers. Remember, no matter what race you are, growing up in America, you are taught to back the police and respect them as heroes. This is a huge problem when it comes to picking a jury.

but the original action was caused by Yanez being an idiot cop and not as a result of some type of white supremacy angle.

KSweeley

Castile's sister actually stated to the media because of this, she will never have faith in the criminal justice system, so fucked up. Changes need to be made with the criminal justice system of the U.S.: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...-guilty-in-shooting-death-of-philando-castile

After five days of deliberations, a jury has found a Minnesota police officer not guilty of all counts in his deadly shooting of a black man during a traffic stop last July in Falcon Heights, a suburb of St. Paul, Minn.

"The system continues to fail black people, and it will continue to fail you all," Valerie Castile, Philando's mother, told reporters after the verdict. "My son loved this city and this city killed my son and the murderer gets away. ... I'm mad as hell right now."

Castile's sister Allysza, weeping, said, "He didn't deserve to die the way he did, and I will never have faith in this system." Castile family lawyer Glenda Hatchett vowed to continue fighting.

Isn't jury selection done with the input of both the defense and the prosecution?

If its that stacked how did the prosecution allow it to be so?

And again, the idea of a "jury of your peers" applies first and foremost to the defendant, which is the cop in this case.

The problem was the jury which didn't seem to be impartial and consisted of cop lovers. That said it could have hurt that Castile was black but on the whole I'd think the reason this cop got off was because the jurors were cop lovers.

but the original action was caused by Yanez being an idiot cop and not as a result of some type of white supremacy angle.

False. The stop was a transparent case of racial profiling. Yanez couldnt even come up with a convincing excuse for pulling Castille over. He mentioned his "broad nose" and how it was similar to a robber who'd been seen in that area.

Got

Banned
False. The stop was a transparent case of racial profiling. Yanez couldnt even come up with a convincing excuse for pulling Castille over. He mentioned his "broad nose" and how it was similar to a robber who'd been seen in that area.

he'll ignore this or move the goalposts

He died in front of the mother of his child. He was a licensed gun owner. He told the officer he had a gun and he was told to get his ID. No justice for a man killed in cold blood, for complying.

Its a cliche, but I'm so sick and tired of being sick and tired. I'm fed up with the system, the country, the world. Protests aren't working, petitions don't work, resistance has been shouted down. What the fuck are we supposed to do?

As long as we can continue to feed the monster, I guess all we can do is die and be quiet about it.

Hopefully they have a case for a civil suit.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Oh you better believe I'm going to the Capitol tonight:

Thousands to protest in St. Paul after officer who shot Philando Castile found not guilty

Link

Yanez was fired by St. Anthony police, the City of St. Anthony said in a statement Friday afternoon.

”The public will be best served if Officer Yanez is no longer a police officer in our city," the statement said.

In a statement, Gov. Mark Dayton said, ”Mr. Castile's death was a terrible tragedy ... I believe that, working together, we can make the changes necessary to secure both safety and justice, in all of our communities, for all Minnesotans."

Interesting that the police department canned him after the verdict.

And what about that has anything to do with white people or white supremacy? Yanez is a minority. If you want to argue that cops are bias against black people argue that but you don't need to because I agree.

Isn't jury selection done with the input of both the defense and the prosecution?

If its that stacked how did the prosecution allow it to be so?

And again, the idea of a "jury of your peers" applies first and foremost to the defendant, which is the cop in this case.

The prosecution did object on a few occasions but the judge struck them down.

IaN_GAF

So, I'm not from America so I may not be able to draw conclusions... But it sure as fuck looks as though they are just murdering you guys with no consequences whatsoever...
And a disturbing amount of people seems to be okay enough with it for this to continue on for quite some time now.

Enzom21

And what about that has anything to do with white people or white supremacy? Yanez is a minority. If you want to argue that cops are bias against black people argue that but you don't need to because I agree.

Which group created this bias against black people? It certainly wasn't anyone from Yanez's minority group.
There are plenty of minorities who contribute to and support the white supremacy in this country.

jay

So, I'm not from America so I may not be able to draw conclusions... But it sure as fuck looks as though they are just murdering you guys with no consequences whatsoever...
And a disturbing amount of people seems to be okay enough with it for this to continue on for quite some time now.

We call it law and order.

Apharmd

You are being disingenuous if you don't see the bullshit dripping from the no-angel and fearing for his life defense. You are also being disingenuous for not acknowledging that the net effect of this verdict so far is telling black people they ain't worth shit, and the biggest benefactor of that being white people.

And I especially know you are being disingenuous because you're trying to obfuscate the disease of crippling racism perpetuated by white people with this symptom of a hispanic cop shooting a black man for no fucking legitimate reason.

Machina

Banned
The shield of the badge doesn't signify "to protect and serve" anymore. It signifies that the system is going to protect me after I kill you.

Great. Another George Zimmerman. All the footage showing how irrational this cop was acting and weed was the culprit.

Fucking system...

The problem was the jury which didn't seem to be impartial and consisted of cop lovers. That said it could have hurt that Castile was black but on the whole I'd think the reason this cop got off was because the jurors were cop lovers. Remember, no matter what race you are, growing up in America, you are taught to back the police and respect them as heroes. This is a huge problem when it comes to picking a jury.

Please be quiet and respectful. You know damn well Castile would have a better chance of breathing today had he been a law abiding gun owning white man. You know damn well that even if white Castille got killed in front of his lily white girlfriend and her child a jury would have more likely than not recognized that a human being was killed that day. Now is not the time for "I don't think race had.much to do with this!".

Got

Banned
Please be quiet and respectful. You know damn well Castile would have a better chance of breathing today had he been a law abiding gun owning white man. You know damn well that even if white Castille got killed in front of his lily white girlfriend and her child a jury would have more likely than not recognized that a human being was killed that day. Now is not the time for "I don't think race had.much to do with this!".

if he comes back he'll hinge his argument on the "white supremacy" semantics.

Dartastic

Top Bottom