• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Officer Yanez Found Not Guilty On All Counts In Castile’s Death

The criminal justice system in this country is so messed up.

Reading the article - I can tell you what probably led to the not guilty

Prosecution got greedy and tried to play some games and messed up.

Prosecution knowingly and deliberately half assed the case because they are scared of white voters and the police in general.

folks high on marijuana can be twitchy

giphy.gif

and aggressively unpredictable

Michael-What-the-office-10400786-400-226.gif

Juror 2: An older white female who manages a White Bear Lake gas station that has a contract with police. She said she had never heard of the Castile case. The judge denied an attempt by prosecutors to strike her after it was revealed that she had pro-police posts on her Facebook page. One of those posts was heavily critical of NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick, who began kneeling during national anthems last year to protest police shootings. She said she had forgotten about the posts.
This is A-OK

Soo .. she either has dementia/alzheimer or is a liar/biased.
Either way, she should not be in a jury.

D i Z

The system does what it was designed to do. And it only gets worse from here with the new bs that's on the books to sweep everything under the rug.

THC will impair your ability to comply with demands. He had a gun, and he wasn't complying fast enough. He moved his hands towards his waist, and since folks high on marijuana can be twitchy and aggressively unpredictable, the cop feared for his life.
Slowly reaches for identification so he's not complying fast enough and gets shot five times. Reaches too quickly for his ID and gets shot five times.

PRBoricua

The entire countries police force are policing the country based on one phrase "I feared for my life".

That's it, that's all that needs to be said. There can be video, there can be witnesses, there can be track records, doesn't matter. If you use that golden phrase, you are all but above the law.

I feel like an officer can literally shoot blindly into a group of people and as long as he/she uses that go to line, they'll walk.

I followed this pretty closely when it first went down, when the fuck did marijuana come into the picture? Fuck this.

He's Black. The longstanding racist anecdote has always been that Blacks turn to violence when they ingest any chemical substance. Weed, booze.

Get get intoxicated and we just can't help but assault White people and sexually assault White women.

Cant dehumanize a people for centuries and just turn it off. The social conditioning that Blacks are always up to no good sticks.

Yea this system isn't broke. It's functioning as intended.

Someone gets it.

Mark L

A family that we have a history of being friends with, that watches our kids sometimes, is an extremely fervent "blue line" police support family. They have a policeman in their immediate family and one other policeman in their family was murdered in the line of duty (by a white man).

They seem to honestly believe that BLM is a terrorist movement, all of that. I don't know their feelings on this case, but I think I don't need to ask.

I am so consumed by anger at the injustice of this verdict. I am so angry at them and people like them.

My wife loves them and I don't know what to do. She is not in favor of any of the blue line stuff, she just loves them as people.

I feel horrible at posting my stupid problem here in the face of PoC facing such insane, inconceivable injustice, I am just so angry I feel like I need to say something. I want to get out of here. I want to leave this state.

I pray I don't get pulled over on my way to or from the gun range.

Do I pull my wallet before the cop arrives at my vehicle?

Does his misconstrue that as an attempt to hide evidence?

Do I wait until he arrives at my vehicle?

Does he misconstrue my movement to my pocket as reaching for something?

Do I inform him I have firearms legally in the car?

Do I just roll the dice that he doesn't look?

Meanwhile White folks go to Starbucks with their shit and order a venti...

Imm0rt4l

for real

ColdPizza

Banned

Find out your state law and don't say the word gun.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/home-featured/ga-basics-how-to-interact-with-police-while-armed/

I almost always side with the police at first, until I know more...but man is that a tough road to walk these days. I mean at what point do the cops stop getting away with this shit.

There is a massive problem with cops killing people as the first and only solution to a problem. I believe the officers who say it's just a few bad apples, I believe they think it is. Because there is no system across the whole on the country for monitoring this shit.

this is infuriating.

Why do you always side with the police first?

slit

You can't blame a judge, a grand jury, prosecutors, Justice Department, or anyone except the people on the jury. The general public are either bloodthirsty, idiots or both.

Lime

I don't even know why they do these trials at all. It would be much more honest just to acquit officers from the get-go, because all the trials are just farces and lies covering up white supremacy in a veil of perceived justice & fairness.

At least that would be more honest.

DCeIJJRWAAEBbXX.jpg

Why do you always side with the police first?

We're conditioned by society to give police the benefit of the doubt. Ideally, police should operate in such a way that giving them that should seem reasonable. It isn't reasonable though. I'm still going to call the cops in situations when it's warranted, but giving them any more trust than their accusers is clearly stacking the deck heavily in their favor.

What the fuck do we do?

Seriously. Is it worth being on the right side of history if we just shout, vote, and die from entities we pay taxes to keep standing?

When do we get to defend ourselves?

What the fuck do we do?

Seriously. Is it worth being on the right side of history if we just shout, vote, and die from entities we pay taxes to keep standing?

The sequel to the '92 LA riots is brewing, it's going to erupt sooner than we think

I genuinely fear though that such an event will happen with Trump in office because as unfortunate such an event would be in any circumstance, Trump is guaranteed to escalate the problem and make things a million times worse for all minorities.

MsKrisp

The defense, on the other hand, maintained that Yanez acted in self-defense and argued that the shooting wouldn't have happened if Castile wasn't high on marijuana.

Fuck the defense for this bullshit, fuck the jury for buying it, and fuck piece of shit cops

The prosecutor even went with a lighter sentence in order to get a conviction, goddamn. This is a fucking travesty, absolutely no justice for him and his family.

Cyriades

If you can't approach a vehicle with a fucking child in the backseat without pulling out your gun and letting off an entire clip, you are a fucking coward and should have never become a cop. Quit and go work as a fucking security guard. Maybe they'll even give you pepper spray to use on innocent black people when your scared.

Fuck the jury too. They can all eat shit for being racist scumbags.

This.

This shit right here

The defense, on the other hand, maintained that Yanez acted in self-defense and argued that the shooting wouldn’t have happened if Castile wasn’t high on marijuana.

Is fucking disgusting. The fact that the jury bought it and went with it....even worse.

Derwind

I forget, what number on the list of things you can't do while black is this? Number #2?

"Can't have a legal permit to carry while black"

What the fuck do we do?

Short term there isn't anything that can be done.

But something kinda occurred to me.

Maybe more and more people who are pro-police reform should work their way up the police workforce ladder with the intention of reforming the system from the inside?

I mean there was an article a few months back about how the FBI had been investigating how White Supremacist groups had been infiltrating numerous police forces. Well what's to stop people who are pro-police reform from doing their own infiltration?

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Prosecution knowingly and deliberately half assed the case because they are scared of white voters and the police in general.

Nah - the prosecutor has their career riding on this conviction. They just got cute and tried to nail him lying, but got too cute by half and the judge saw through their attempted sleight of hand. See the below point on trying to get a conviction.

The prosecutor even went with a lighter sentence in order to get a conviction, goddamn. This is a fucking travesty, absolutely no justice for him and his family.

Zaphrynn

Fucking right? How the fuck was the cop not guilty of a manslaughter charge?? Not guilty on all accounts.

Fuck this country.

Sanojio

There is no God or justice for us blacks. I mean what the fuck is this? That we should resign ourselves to these never ending injustices for the sake of white comfort?

There isn't a platform out there where I can express how I feel. Fuck you America and I wish there was a Hell police apologists could go burn in.

Top Bottom