• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palworld has sold over 5 million copies in only 3 days | Momentum continues with latest sales figures reaching 86k units per hour

Griffon

This is where I truly show my age.

I can somewhat understand the "appeal" of an edgy pokemon parody for edgy teenagers.
But I don't understand why this game had to be a crafting-survival game, and why it is such a massive success.

It's just a dumb sandbox with the same old shit, a dumb Rust/Ark reskin. And yet, it's precisely because it is in that genre that it sells so much. To me it completely nullifies the impact a parody would have, makes it so damn boring... I'm really out of touch now.

Last edited:
This is where I truly show my age.

I can somewhat understand the "appeal" of an edgy pokemon parody for edgy teenagers.
But I don't understand why this game had to be a crafting-survival game, and why it is such a massive success. It's just a dumb sandbox with the same old shit, a dumb Rust/Ark reskin.
Ark doesn't give you a workforce. The game lets you control workers and have them do the boring parts of daily base management, so you can go do the fun things.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Why are some users on REEEE saying its an asset flip and theyr using Ai?
I mean, small cute creatures arent exactly owned by Pokemon. Okay u get them by throwing a ball at them but that's it

IMG-5337.jpg

Corian33

No idea why anyone is surprised or upset about this game doing well. There was nothing stopping them from making a PC Pokémon for the past 30 years. People begged for it.

The only surprising thing is that it took this long for someone to make a decent clone.

skit_data

I watched a friend playing it and came away somewhat intrigued.
I think it's honestly absurd that there are so few games that borrow heavily from Pokémon, it was about time someone had some success doing it.

Anything with future content and co-op/multiplayer mode is GAAS these days, dont you know...
The developers are smart enough to NOT make it an online-only game, because they are a relatively small team and this kind of explosion of popularity would kill the server.
Modern Diablo games and others like it have forced online and as such the first few days of launch always crashes. But as long as offline single player is a thing the game can keep going.

Three

Why are some users on REEEE saying its an asset flip and theyr using Ai?
I mean, small cute creatures arent exactly owned by Pokemon. Okay u get them by throwing a ball at them but that's it
They're right though. It looks like pokemon models have been kitbashed together with AI. It's not just "cute monsters" they've straight lifted designs from pokemon. Before anybody asks, no I don't give a shit about protecting Nintendo or what they do but that's the simple truth of it. If they get away with it then good on them.

Last edited:

Ribi

Played this for 5 hrs last night (Asia Timezone)
It surprised me that it is like copying Pokemon but the animation for each "pal" here is made, the base of this game is pretty good, has great potential if the developer keeps updating frequently and mods gonna be fun.
But enough about the Day Before

ManaByte

Gold Member
It seems that Yoshida has started working to get it to PS5 as soon as possible.

Craftopia has been in Early Access for 4 years. Sony doesn't allow Early Access/Game Preview games on PS (and Betas, like Wayfinder, aren't Early Access/Game Preview).

Shu would need Sony to change their EA policy to get the game on PS.

Guilty_AI

They're right though. It looks like pokemon models have been kitbashed together with AI. It's not just "cute monsters" they've straight lifted designs from pokemon. Before anybody asks, no I don't give a shit about protecting Nintendo or what they do but that's the simple truth of it. If they get away with it then good on them.
Seems they used AI for the concept art only, models are properly handcrafted. I don't think that's enough to fall under plagiarism.

Mr Moose

Q. What kind of game is this?

A. In this game, you can peacefully live alongside mysterious creatures known as Pals or risk your life to drive off a ruthless poaching syndicate.

Pals can be used to fight, or they can be made to work on farms or factories.
You can even sell them or eat them!
Chotto matte...

ManaByte

Gold Member
Seems they used AI for the concept art only, models are properly handcrafted. I don't think that's enough to fall under plagiarism.

They didn't use it for concept art. Some Twitter psychopath is misconstruing a Tweet by the CEO where he used AI to generate "Pokemon like creatures" to cancel him. Of course the purple place picked it up and their PR firm "journalists" are generating click bait with it.

Guilty_AI

They didn't use it for concept art. Some Twitter psychopath is misconstruing a Tweet by the CEO where he used AI to generate "Pokemon like creatures" to cancel him. Of course the purple place picked it up and their PR firm "journalists" are generating click bait with it.
It wouldn't really matter either way. What's the difference between mish-mashing pokemons to create new ones using your own imagination vs delegating the work to a robot? GTA has been doing that with car brands and models for decades.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Ai copy these pokemon but change just enough so we can't get sued for plagiarism.....

It cost only 7 million I think.
Holy fork

ManaByte

Gold Member
Harman Smith? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

But didn't Temtem launch in Early Access on PS?

I guess their requirement for allowing Early Access is for it to be exclusive? Because Craftopia has been in EA for 4 years and still isn't on PS. Valheim as well.

Baldur's Gate 3 was in EA for years as well and only came to PS when the finished version released.

Last edited:
I guess their requirement for allowing Early Access is for it to be exclusive? Because Craftopia has been in EA for 4 years and still isn't on PS. Valheim as well.
I don't think Craftopia will leave EA ever :messenger_tears_of_joy: Though, in that case it makes sense.

Last edited:

GHG

Baldur's Gate 3 was in EA for years as well and only came to PS when the finished version released.

Larian only wanted to do early access on Steam and GOG. It was their choice to streamline development for a single platform and get feedback from everyone playing there.

The development of the console versions didn't start until a later date.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It's not GAAS. No lootboxes that we can see, it costs money, and with an optional multiplayer mode. What kind of GAAS are we talking about?

GAAS is any game that recieves steady support from the developer after launch. Palworld is clearly GAAS.

I now see the new strategy. Try to narrowly define what is GAAS as GAAS grows in popularity to obfuscate its dominance.

Last edited:
GAAS is any game that recieves steady support from the developer after launch. Palworld is clearly GAAS.

I now see the new strategy. Try to narrowly define what is GAAS as GAAS grows in popularity to obfuscate its dominance.
It is getting support because it is EARLY ACCESS.

Because the game is still being made, and thus was sold at a discount.

If you call that GAAS then you are desperate. Go back to your lootboxes.

Deerock71

This should be alarming to The Pokemon Company. If they're not careful, Pokemon could end up being PUBG to this being Fortnite.

nashman

There is No microtransactions, No lootboxes. No pay to win. No pay to level up faster. There is 1 currency in the game and you cant buy it, only earn it in game.

bUt BuT TeCKniKlY iT is GaAS aND fuCk GaaS aND ThiS gAme gUYz!!!!!!!

If they do add this shit to the game then yeah Fuck them, but for now it should be praised for what it is. A proper standalone game.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
If they've shifted 4m copies in 3 days, I suspect they can now afford to hire on a few extra bodies to do a port!
If they aren't contractually obligated to some sort of exclusive deal I'd be surprised if they didn't at least consider it. Its just UE, so its not like its a massive undertaking and would likely pay for itself quickly.

At the end of the day, if you have a successful IP built on a multi-platform engine why wouldn't you want to get it on as many platforms as possible?

ManaByte

Gold Member
If they've shifted 4m copies in 3 days, I suspect they can now afford to hire on a few extra bodies to do a port!
If they aren't contractually obligated to some sort of exclusive deal I'd be surprised if they didn't at least consider it. Its just UE, so its not like its a massive undertaking and would likely pay for itself quickly.

At the end of the day, if you have a successful IP built on a multi-platform engine why wouldn't you want to get it on as many platforms as possible?
Aside from Tamtam that everyone keeps bringing up, there's no Early Access program on PlayStation. It's been like that since the PS4.

Again, their previous game Craftopia had no exclusivity deal. It's been in EA forever, but it's only on Steam (Early Access) and Xbox (Game Preview) because it's still in EA.

Top Bottom