• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palworld has the highest concurrent player count of any paid game in the history of Steam

95mellow

Honestly, all the "controversy" aside, I don't get it - the game looks like total garbage. I don't understand the appeal, but maybe I'm showing my old man status.

It looks repetitive and amateurish, like something that'd make a small splash then fade away, not get mammoth numbers.

Honestly, all the "controversy" aside, I don't get it - the game looks like total garbage. I don't understand the appeal, but maybe I'm showing my old man status.

It looks repetitive and amateurish, like something that'd make a small splash then fade away, not get mammoth numbers.
I think it is quite simple. You can say that this is Pokemon game. Since original games, there have been so many new Pokemons that no-one normal remembers them all. They can just think Pals as new Pokemons.

That being said, this is now a "Pokemon" game that is available on non-nintendo platforms, especially PC. A lot of people who played Pokemon when younger are now on non-nintendo platforms. This is also an open world game, something that Pokemon fans have been wanting for decades. This also has very popular survival / crafting elements added to it, making it a unique Pokemon game. And to top it off, it is dirt-cheap compared to official Pokemon games. A perfect blend to fill in the vacuum left by Nintendo / Pokemon Company producing sub-par products for decades.

95mellow

I think it is quite simple. You can say that this is Pokemon game. Since original games, there have been so many new Pokemons that no-one normal remembers them all. They can just think Pals as new Pokemons.

That being said, this is now a "Pokemon" game that is available on non-nintendo platforms, especially PC. A lot of people who played Pokemon when younger are now on non-nintendo platforms. This is also an open world game, something that Pokemon fans have been wanting for decades. This also has very popular survival / crafting elements added to it, making it a unique Pokemon game. And to top it off, it is dirt-cheap compared to official Pokemon games. A perfect blend to fill in the vacuum left by Nintendo / Pokemon Company producing sub-par products for decades.
Yeah, true. A shame that Cassette Beasts didn't get the same hype.

Imagine Pokemon, but instead of only using them for combat, they help you at your home base, gather resources, cook food, and make your weapons. And they give you a smile when they are done. You wake up in the morning and all the mons get out of bed too and rush out to work. The Pals are closer to the player than Pokemon ever achieved.

Holammer

tQdXybF.jpg

Palworld's Steam user score climbed up to 94%.

Roxkis_ii

One thing Palworld has remined me; That if a lot of people like something, there are going to be a group of miserable people who just dislike it because other people like it.

A great man once said "If they hate, then let them hate, and watch the money pile up."

Last edited:

Porticus

One thing Palworld has remined me; That if a lot of people like something, there are going to be a group of miserable people who just dislike it because other people like it.

A great man once said "If they hate, then let them hate, and watch the money pile up."

Put down your highness level horeshit.
People have the right to say that it looks like horseshit and garbage, I completely agree but I can still enjoy the game on GP every now and then.

Interfectum

Put down your highness level horeshit.
People have the right to say that it looks like horseshit and garbage, I completely agree but I can still enjoy the game on GP every now and then.
People have the right to say it looks like horseshit, and people also have the right to call that person out as well. Nothing about this game looks like horseshit or garbage. Some people here are just too obsessed with allegiances and AAA to see anything else gaming has to offer.

twilo99

Well, at least in Spider-Man I could be lectured about the patriarchy and white supremacy through the entire game. Palworld is not teaching me those same moral values.

Palworld is just teaching you how to be a colonial monarchist, back to basics if you will, but I guess we needed that balancing act..

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Attack of the Fanboy says this about the game
Although Palworld can provide an enjoyable experience for a while, it's a hard sell. It feels like halves of two different games that, when put together, don't seem to make a whole. [Early Access Provisional Score = 50]
But IGN gave it an 8 in their Early Access review.
I think the different elements they've mashed up go together like peanut butter and jelly, and that's why this is doing so well.

That said, it's still rough and buggy and the map feels sparse, there's a lot left to do, but the foundation is great.

Ribi

i saw Critical's video on the game and he said that if the game had used AI that his opinion would change. WTF is up with people being so anti AI? If the game is good and you enjoy then fucking enjoy it you fucking pearl clutchers. To be that fickle that AI would destroy your entire opinion of a game you already enjoy makes me believe that you might like the game as much as you think.

Mortisfacio

i saw Critical's video on the game and he said that if the game had used AI that his opinion would change. WTF is up with people being so anti AI? If the game is good and you enjoy then fucking enjoy it you fucking pearl clutchers. To be that fickle that AI would destroy your entire opinion of a game you already enjoy makes me believe that you might like the game as much as you think.

I don't see an issue with it either. Asmongold was getting trashed the other day for saying he views AI and procedural generation as similar, so doesn't get the hate. I normally am not a fan of the guy, but I agree with that. Just another tool in the toolbox.

Majormaxxx

It's NOT for us dude. It's a game for the younger generation.

Ribi

I don't see an issue with it either. Asmongold was getting trashed the other day for saying he views AI and procedural generation as similar, so doesn't get the hate. I normally am not a fan of the guy, but I agree with that. Just another tool in the toolbox.
100% both make game development faster and both are tools that were created by humans to ship out products quicker. Fuck AI art is amazing when in the hands of creative people. When you have a general idea of something and have AI build that bridge to the final product and then expand on it its a great feeling.

These anti AI people never fucking developed a game in their lives because even a solo developer would love to have AI help them with coding and art. If anything this should encourage more people to enter the industry and try to push their dream games out there. As for big companies (while this is wishful thinking knowing they'll use it to make more money with minimal efforts) i would love to see them expand their game's scopes with the use of AI knowing that development times will be shorter and that they could ask AI to code more complex language needed for mechanics that would have taken weeks to make.

Roxkis_ii

They say never go full retard, but people never listen and here we are.

The idea that the tool used to make art is what defines it is absolutely posterous. These people think the process is what makes art valuable, but it's not, its the results that matters and what people will pay for. These same people would have been upset when photos shop came out too I bet. I look forward to them becoming more and more upset as AI advances.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

The appeal is player freedom/choice.

When you're allowed to set everything up the way you want, you feel a sense of ownership that you just don't get in games like Horizon Forbidden West or Zelda Tears of the Kingdom.

Once it clicks, it's hard to go back to games that are more rigid in what you can do.

Mortisfacio

100% both make game development faster and both are tools that were created by humans to ship out products quicker. Fuck AI art is amazing when in the hands of creative people. When you have a general idea of something and have AI build that bridge to the final product and then expand on it its a great feeling.

These anti AI people never fucking developed a game in their lives because even a solo developer would love to have AI help them with coding and art. If anything this should encourage more people to enter the industry and try to push their dream games out there. As for big companies (while this is wishful thinking knowing they'll use it to make more money with minimal efforts) i would love to see them expand their game's scopes with the use of AI knowing that development times will be shorter and that they could ask AI to code more complex language needed for mechanics that would have taken weeks to make.

As would I. Just looking at the AAA industry and how slow things are, I'd like to think AI could help improve that. Blizzard's Odyssey was cancelled after 6 year and now gameplay/demo... that's pathetic. Personally I'm not in game development, but I use Github CoPilot for work. Since acquiring the license to use it, it's increased my productivity significantly. All these projects I've been putting off because I just don't have time for it or slowly chipping away at, I've finished most of them with copilot help. It's not perfect and I still need to fix some of its output, but it saves SO much time I can allocate elsewhere. I hope more game devs do the same.

Mortisfacio

But SM2 made more in that time since it was $70 as opposed to $30 for Palworld

SM2: $300 million budget > $70 a pop > 6.1 million by the 1 month mark. Roughly $127 million net positive.

Palworld: $6 million budget > $30 a pop > 8 million in 6 days. Roughly $234 million net positive

Now these are all before deductions on those revenues like tax situations, Steam taking their cut which drops Palworld to the $160+ mil range, etc.

Palworld is also the better game. SM2 and so many other AAA IPs are propped up by name alone.

Holammer

SM2: $300 million budget > $70 a pop > 6.1 million by the 1 month mark. Roughly $127 million net positive.

Palworld: $6 million budget > $30 a pop > 8 million in 6 days. Roughly $234 million net positive

Now these are all before deductions on those revenues like tax situations, Steam taking their cut which drops Palworld to the $160+ mil range, etc.

Palworld is also the better game. SM2 and so many other AAA IPs are propped up by name alone.
Production of the physical media, distribution and the stores cut will dig into Spoderman's profits too.

SF Kosmo

You probably said the same about Minecraft.

Fbh

Ya western devs are out of control on these budgets.

Like wtf are they doing taking 5+ years and 100s of millions of dollars. Something is up

It would be really interesting to talk with someone actually working on these games to get an idea.
Like why was Spiderman 2 so much more expensive to make than the first one? You'd think with a lot of the core gameplay and design already built as well as a decent number of assets that they can recycle, a sequel that's not doing anything particularly groundbreaking should be doable with a similar budget. Why did it get so much more expensive instead?

Guilty_AI

Spider man 2 already clears palworld by virtue of being a good, fun game.

You guys only hate it because of the deaf girl mission and Mary Jane...
I'd honestly play Palworld before Spiderman 2.

But to be really really truthful, i'd play neither one.

Palworld waves are certainly far more interesting to watch however.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

The difference is that minecraft created and pioneered survival mechanics in gaming, and this is yet another game copying the mechanics from that and valheim...
It's certainly not a groundbreaking game, but it's definitely seems to have landed on a winning combination of borrowed elements, delivered with some humor and personality.

Yes, it's a jank indie game, not some achievement in design or art, but it's fun.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I thought Spiderman 2 was fine as a game but to be straight factual, I've pit probably twice as many hours into palworld already and have had more fun tbh. But I suppose that's the nature of creativity in survival games mixed with poke on catching and breath of the wild exploration.

Even in its unfinished state its a good chill game.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I thought Spiderman 2 was fine as a game but to be straight factual, I've pit probably twice as many hours into palworld already and have had more fun tbh. But I suppose that's the nature of creativity in survival games mixed with poke on catching and breath of the wild exploration.

Even in its unfinished state its a good chill game.
I am 30 some hours in and have two ore mining bases up and running and having a blast automating stuff and driving my workforce to the brink :)

I just started and it is enjoyable so far. Reminds me a bit of BotW, Pokemon and Fallout 76's base building. Not sure if it'll hold my interest for long, but right now it seems to have some promise.

Last edited:

That doesn't sound appealing to me. The last thing I want in my Pokemon game is guns, I get enough of those in modern games already.
Modern Pokemon may be shit, but this doesn't scratch the itch I was looking for.

Top Bottom