• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palworld has the highest concurrent player count of any paid game in the history of Steam

Sounds like Sony really needs to abandon their policy of not allowing early access if they want to capitalize on the biggest game in the world right now. I'm getting these wild flashbacks from a few months ago, but all they need to do is capitulate, change their policy, and they might get the game in a few months.

bender

What time is it?
Sounds like Sony really needs to abandon their policy of not allowing early access if they want to capitalize on the biggest game in the world right now. I'm getting these wild flashbacks from a few months ago, but all they need to do is capitulate, change their policy, and they might get the game in a few months.

They already allow early access games on PSN.

Just when you don't think the embarrassing discourse surrounding Palworld can't get any worse.
People are having a field day putting them down, so it's all good.

RNrvpWb.jpg

If it was offered and anyone at Sony passed on the game, his/her/xirs ass is grass. I like to think that even "haters" here on GAF would recognize its value if they saw a presentation.

Imagine being Eurogamer and ignoring the best selling game of 2023 and then trying to shit on the fastest selling game of 2024 (so far). At this point you have to think they want to be bankrupt and get all their people laid off, there's no explanation for how much they hate their few remaining readers.

NeoLed

When is temtem gnna sue too!?

On another note I can't believe Sony got Foamstars exclusivity and Xbox got palworld instead

Old : Sony doesn't accept Early Access titles (yet)

Apparently Sony do allow early access game called Wayfinder. Thank you bender bender for the info

Last edited:

AlphaDump

Gold Member
This all feels like a social experiment, and I'm not sure I buy the story on how this organically got here. Although I can't really knock anyone for enjoying it.

Time will tell I guess. Maybe it just isn't for me.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The artful mincer The artful mincer

"Christ Baseball I have no idea what your talking about. You should play a proper sport like Cricket!

Sure but a game in a usually weaker genre can still blow past expectations and probably should have at least a little investment."

My point is that certain genres have far more "breakout successes" than other genres. It's not luck. It's being smart enough to notice the right trends and good enough to execute on your vision.

"Not even Jimmy Ryan believed this."

Oh no, Jim Ryan DEFINITELY believes 12 cash cows is superior to 1 cash cow. Not a person alive who doesn't. That's my point.

GEpeTlWWwAATDKc

Or a little game you might have heard of called Fortnite back in 2017 before it had a Battle Royale mode and was just Save the World.
I'm not doubting you, but there's a difference between Early Access, and the "Biggest Fucking Game in the World that you Better Have on Your Platform!!!!!!".

Look at the image I posted. And Fortnite's Early Access started before it added Battle Royale and blew up.
So did Sony just straight fuck-up on not getting the biggest game in the world right now on their platform? I'm trying to come up with a logical reason other than incompetence.

bender

What time is it?
So did Sony just straight fuck-up on not getting the biggest game in the world right now on their platform? I'm trying to come up with a logical reason other than incompetence.

No one in their wildest imagination expected this game to perform like it is. A pattern we often see with Game Pass and Indies is exclusivity periods. That could be at play here. Shuhei has said he's trying to get the game on PlayStation but I'm sure the developer is more than a little busy right about now trying to keep the infrastructure up in running for the 8 million players.

peish

Holy shit I cannot understand the dirty unwashed masses now

I dont care about the pokemon ripoff AI lawsuit bits, this game looks pretty light on the mechanics to be considered a “serious” game for me, a PCMR elitist

This is some social experiment for sure, how much of mass hysteria we are seeing!

bender

What time is it?
Holy shit I cannot understand the dirty unwashed masses now

I dont care about the pokemon ripoff AI lawsuit bits, this game looks pretty light on the mechanics to be considered a “serious” game for me, a PCMR elitist

This is some social experiment for sure, how much of mass hysteria we are seeing!

Survival Crafting games are popular. Pokemon is popular. I wish I could fast forward a month or two to see if this is a flavor du jour or if it has legs.

peish

Survival Crafting games are popular. Pokemon is popular. I wish I could fast forward a month or two to see if this is a flavor du jour or if it has legs.

If it’s isnt clear before, we again are seeing how masses willing to pay and invest time on digital skins!

Survival games are dime a dozen and palworld doesn’t seem to do that in depth of such mechanics

I want to start a skin biz!

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
If it’s isnt clear before, we again are seeing how masses willing to pay and invest time on digital skins!

Survival games are dime a dozen and palworld doesn’t seem to do that in depth of such mechanics

I want to start a skin biz!

They aren't for me (neither is Pokemon) but I can see the appeal. Kids have wanted to build stuff since the first time they saw couch cushions or were given a set of Lego and gaming makes us all kids at heart.

Fredrik

Imagine being Eurogamer and ignoring the best selling game of 2023 and then trying to shit on the fastest selling game of 2024 (so far). At this point you have to think they want to be bankrupt and get all their people laid off, there's no explanation for how much they hate their few remaining readers.
They’re always siding with the negative and concerned people now. It’s their thing.
* The guy feeling disgusted from looking up Ashleys skirt.
* Complaining about the sweet character design in Stellar Blade.
* Avoiding Hogwarts Legacy, best selling game of the year.
* Downplaying the rise of Palworld, a new monster hit on Steam by a small indie dev.
They’re kinda similar to Jason Schreier. Feeding on reactions and clicks from exaggerated concern and negativity. Grifting, is that the word?

Last edited:

Majormaxxx

Kinda get the feeling this out-of-nowhere over night popularity and sudden spread is really sketchy. It almost seems like someone is "gaming" the community. I wouldn't be surprised if part of it is a well founded push to sway the public mindshare.
no, it is just popular at the moment. Don't be salty lol

ManaByte

No one in their wildest imagination expected this game to perform like it is. A pattern we often see with Game Pass and Indies is exclusivity periods. That could be at play here. Shuhei has said he's trying to get the game on PlayStation but I'm sure the developer is more than a little busy right about now trying to keep the infrastructure up in running for the 8 million players.

Wayfinder is a paid BETA for a F2P game. It's not a Game Preview. They're selling founders packs for a F2P game that's in beta before it opens up to everyone to be F2P. A lot of F2P games do that. Fortnite's "Early Access" was also just a beta, which allowed them to make massive changes while skirting certification on the consoles.

There is no set Game Preview/Early Access program on PlayStation like Steam and Xbox have. When something is put on the console in Early Access like TemTem it's usually in exchange for it being 100% exclusive and not anywhere else. Since there's no set program like Steam and Xbox have, the games are a case-by-case basis. I doubt Pocketpair would give up their 8 million Steam sales just to be exclusive on the PS5.

It's also worth noting that Pocket Pair's other game, Craftopia, has never been ported to PS and it's been out for 4 years.

The artful mincer The artful mincer

"Christ Baseball I have no idea what your talking about. You should play a proper sport like Cricket!

Sure but a game in a usually weaker genre can still blow past expectations and probably should have at least a little investment."

My point is that certain genres have far more "breakout successes" than other genres. It's not luck. It's being smart enough to notice the right trends and good enough to execute on your vision.

"Not even Jimmy Ryan believed this."

Oh no, Jim Ryan DEFINITELY believes 12 cash cows is superior to 1 cash cow. Not a person alive who doesn't. That's my point.
That's not what I meant.

He expected the GAAS games to double Sonys party revenue. He has flat said he doesn't expect them all to be breakout hits.

How that will play out is anybody guess. Not you, me or Jimmy knows for sure.

He Greenlight 12 in the hope that one of them is the next fortnite. He's not expecting 12 fortnites.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
He Greenlight 12 in the hope that one of them is the next fortnite. He's not expecting 12 fortnites.

Nah. They greenlit 12+ because they think each of them will be profitable. They're not expecting a single Fortnite level hit.

People have to stop comparing Live Service games to Fortnite as some kind of barometer. It's time to start comparing these Live Service games to Returnal, Demons Souls Remake, Days Gone, Alan Wake 2 etc...

Profitability varies in size.

Nah. They greenlit 12+ because they think each of them will be profitable. They're not expecting a single Fortnite level hit.

People have to stop comparing Live Service games to Fortnite as some kind of barometer. It's time to start comparing these Live Service games to Returnal, Demons Souls Remake, Days Gone, Alan Wake 2 etc...

Profitability varies in size.
Well whatever

Here's his quote

Take it how you will it's open to interpretation.

If it won't surpass PUBG during the weekend, then it won't be able to. Considering that they are experiencing login issues, I wonder if it can surpass their last CCU today.

Last edited:

Jedge

I bought this game yesterday with several friends and had an absolute blast. Stayed up until 3 am building and collecting "pals". I'm curious to see if the game will get close to pubg numbers this weekend

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Besides the game being super fun to play, it also provides entertainment away from the screen. Seeing people lose their damn minds about it is equally as entertaining.

This game just keeps on delivering.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Not my cup of tea and good for those who enjoy this type of game. But the hype reminds a ramped up share thread.

DanielG165

I’m usually not one for drama, but seeing people across the internet lose their minds over this game has definitely been enjoyable lol. Keep doing you, Palworld, the saltiness has been entertaining.

The fact that someone would compare this to a completely different genre of game in Alan Wake 2, and behaving as though such isn’t abhorrently disingenuous, is just hilarious to me.

peish

When you end up finding where I can buy digital skins in the current version of Palworld, I will fund your skin game myself.

By that i mean cosmehtics, palworld seems a poor man survival game, run of mill if we are generous

but applying a pokemon skinz on top, it exploded in our mouths

K2D

Banned
What a mess this'll be if they have to delist the game and pay reparations to Game Freak and Nintendo.

Look Away GIF by Muppet Wiki

bender

What time is it?
Wayfinder is a paid BETA for a F2P game. It's not a Game Preview. They're selling founders packs for a F2P game that's in beta before it opens up to everyone to be F2P. A lot of F2P games do that. Fortnite's "Early Access" was also just a beta, which allowed them to make massive changes while skirting certification on the consoles.

Wayfinder is marked Early Access on both Steam and PSN and it isn't the only example. PSN might have the fewest examples of Early Access, but that does not equate to none and that was my entire point, Palworld aside. As far as Palworld on PSN is considered, we know Sony is inquiring thanks to a tweet by Shuhei, but I'm sure Pocket Pair has others things to worry about right about now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom