• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pc will be the dominant gaming platform going forward.

Spidey Fan

Banned
Dude u can use the same 300 dollar 4k monitor for the console too😂😂 this looks like stupidity to a whole new lvl just to proove ur point
Unless the monitor specifically has audio built in, its hard to enjoy them.

Most consoles are designed for tvs. You can use TV for pc, but the that will takeout the real experience of pc. Same applies for pc. (I just don't like using headphones to play). I like to hear the audio normally.

But you are right. Was just pointing out people who only count the gpu price without paying attention to tvs price for consoles.

Spidey Fan

Banned
To me it looks like they're counting money from non-software sales for consoles, but not mobile and PC.

I mean, it makes sense at first glance. Console makers make not only the consoles themselves, but everything from additional controllers, headsets, charging cables and storage expansion cards to wireless adapters, cameras and console stands, and the money they make selling all of that stuff is part of their reported revenue. So why wouldn't you count them?

The problem is that while mobile and PC gamers obviously need to spend money on hardware too, there is no easy way to keep track of how much they spend and what they spend it on. There is no reliable method for these analysts to know whether someone bought a phone, laptop, SSD, keyboard, computer case, graphics card or power supply for gaming, after all, so in the end they either have to guess, or nothing gets counted at all.
The real problem for pc is the launchers. For consoles, their is only 1 launcher. The owner of the system. So its hard to keep track of the pc purchase habit.

I have alot of games on steam, ubisoft, and epic, plus 1 purchase on ea play, gog, and Rockstar launcher. If you add them all together, my purchase would be higher than what I spend on both consoles. Steam alone games cost me around 300$ after savings. I have around 120+ games. Mostly indies.

S0ULZB0URNE

595tsv6.jpg

Sygma

Says the person who don't even game on pc.

VyzojrW.png

Pc has the benefit of playing all of the old games from 2000s to now. Which consoles can't (the XSeries needs a patch, and ps5 can't play ps1 to ps3 games without remastering them).

More like from the 80s to now, if you take in account dosbox and all the other good stuff but that point is irrelevant since the post is about going forward

Graphic wise, pc is better.

Which literally was my point, its all about graphics and these really don't matter that much at the end of the day
The problem with pc is the store front. For consoles, there are 3. Xbox, Playstation, and Nintendo. You make games for those audiences and reek all the money, compared to pc.

what ?

PC is a battlefield ground. Steam, windows, epic, ea store, bethesda, blizzard, ubisoft, Rockstar and gog launcher. All these launchers are fighting to attract customers. They are consoles within the pc land.

yeah thats what having an open ended ecosystem is about, I don't see how thats relevant tho
But I doubt console players know that. Its convenient for them to down their games, unlike the pc player base.

Consoles from my perspective are single player games. Pc has other amazing exclusive genre consoles wont be able to get. Moding, rts, mmos (mmos on consoles are meh compared to pc), MP games (pc dominates this area), rpg, started on pc (skyrim, elder scrolls, fallout). Shooter games (doom, halo where pc games, halo was then developed for OG xbox).

Pc has a different market for multiplayer games compared to console and its very misguided to say that it dominates. It just has a different playerbase, but more often than not when it comes down to multiplatform games, the player base is ALWAYS higher on console

Now, mobile games have the absolute upper hand in terms of players. Arena of Valor and some others always had an insane amount of concurrent players which hasn't been replicated anywhere else
There is the Chinese pc market, Asian such korean mmos, which aren't on the consoles.

There are alot of games you are missing out on pc. You dont need cinematic games to make them great.

Android has mmos which you can't find on consoles either, your point ?

its ok to defend pc gaming, but it hasn't been a dominant force for single player games and whatnot since a while and as such, cannot be considered as the dominant platform for the sole reason that, holistically speaking, the offer cannot compete with consoles since a bunch of years

I honestly don't care that it looks better. I want pc to find its mojo back and have crazy games pushing things so far that consoles users will dream to have the same

Last edited:

Spidey Fan

Banned
Tesla don't dominate anything. They're barely profitable.
Isnt tesla for rich people. I doubt they will dominate anything with that.

The one who dominates are the ones who reach the casuals like me. Its easy for us to spend alot of money if the experience is good, except the hard-core who are picky about their stuff. Pcmr elite, console warriors.

Spidey Fan

Banned
VyzojrW.png

More like from the 80s to now, if you take in account dosbox and all the other good stuff but that point is irrelevant since the post is about going forward

Which literally was my point, its all about graphics and these really don't matter that much at the end of the day

what ?

yeah thats what having an open ended ecosystem is about, I don't see how thats relevant tho

Pc has a different market for multiplayer games compared to console and its very misguided to say that it dominates. It just has a different playerbase, but more often than not when it comes down to multiplatform games, the player base is ALWAYS higher on console

Now, mobile games have the absolute upper hand in terms of players. Arena of Valor and some others always had an insane amount of concurrent players which hasn't been replicated anywhere else

Android has mmos which you can't find on consoles either, your point ?

its ok to defend pc gaming, but it hasn't been a dominant force for single player games and whatnot since a while and as such, cannot be considered as the dominant platform for the sole reason that, holistically speaking, the offer cannot compete with consoles since a bunch of years

I honestly don't care that it looks better. I want pc to find its mojo back and have crazy games pushing things so far that consoles users will dream to have the same
The issue with pc is those publishers cater to those consoles, because its easier for them to make money from there, compared to pc, where they only sell on their launcher, hence why some games don't sell very well on pc.

The only way for pc to get wow games, is if steam make games for their platform. Other publishers already went to console to maximize their games.

For now, infinity is what will break the myth that pc gamers don't buy games, since its launching day1 on steam.

I play mobile games on pc using Nox, or bluestack. They are much easier to manage gatcha. With those emulators getting keyboard, and mouse support. Though, currently we don't have iPhone emulator that works as good as nox.

Again with sale domination, it will only happen if its on steam. Because other launchers are pain. I dont even remember my blizzard account now. That is issue with multiple launchers. Consoles wont deal with that.

Please tell me the most electric cars and their prices compared to the competition.
I don't understand your point.

Tesla probably do sell the most EVs (for now), but as a manufacturer of cars as a whole, they are tiny compared to Toyota, VWG, Daimler, Ford, General Motors and the like.
And whilst Tesla's vehicles can indeed be expensive (read: overpriced), they're not even the most expensive EV's on the market. Your Etron GT's, Porsche Taycan, Mercedes EQS and so on, cost a lot more money. Sure they're less successful in terms of sales volumes, but that only serves to reinforce my point - astronomical expense doesn't dominate.

If you wanted a useful example, you could have used the iPhone. But that isn't a particularly good one either, as millions more cheaper phones from Samsung or Huawei or whomever are sold across the globe, than iPhones.

PC gaming in a nutshell: kids with tons of time and disposition to mount, fix, tweak, upgrade, clean, update drivers, mod, find workarounds, troubleshoot, stream, benchmark and sometimes play some PS2-looking indies.

consoles: adults tired from facing a boring pc screen all day long sitting on the sofa to play a good and great-looking game.

I really think it's a teen thing, like fapping. It's no coincidence that Terry Crews was addicted to both.

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Isn’t pc the main platform now. Even kids want them. Every streamer, even if they are using a pad is playing on pc When I look. I dunno maybe I’m clueless, but I thought PC was the biggest for a long time.
Define 'biggest'.
It's not in terms of market-size/revenue, spend per-player, cross-platform unit sales, or total-users.
It might be in the running for active-users, but I haven't seen up to date numbers on that. But that would be accumulation of all players (including those using social-media/browser) - Steam is just a fraction of that total.

Spidey Fan

Banned
Define 'biggest'.
It's not in terms of market-size/revenue, spend per-player, cross-platform unit sales, or total-users.
It might be in the running for active-users, but I haven't seen up to date numbers on that. But that would be accumulation of all players (including those using social-media/browser) - Steam is just a fraction of that total.
Do you know pc has tons of launchers? In term of sales, you need to count all of these. Not to mention outside sales.
I can buy steam games from 3rd party, compared to Playstation. Only ones comes to close to is xbox and Nintendo, and even those are limited.

New pc now are strong. They are bar with base ps4. And those are just normal pc, not gaming pc.

Typical gaming pc is 500$. You wont get 4k experience, but it hits 60-150 fps.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Do you know pc has tons of launchers? In term of sales, you need to count all of these. Not to mention outside sales.
Yes - I was referring to PC market as a whole - as noted in my post above. And yes - taken everything together it's big - 2nd only to Mobile. But see - the latter is now bigger(in revenue) than all the other platforms combined, and by some distance.

The other metrics are a result of how diverse/fragmented PC market is. Spend-per player is where consoles dominate, and likewise for cross-platform sales, simply by the nature of entire userbase being relatively uniform, while on PC only a small fraction even overlaps that.

Last edited:
I love PC gaming but this ain't happening anytime soon especially with how expensive GPU parts are lately.

The consoles offer way more value for money at the moment. If GPU prices weren't insane right now I would have agreed with you OP.

DeaDPo0L84

Buying a console that can deliver a reasonably great experience at a affordable cost is not feasible moving forward. Reason being is console gamers want the next gen consoles to have the latest tech but keep the price @ $399.

DeaDPo0L84

PC gaming in a nutshell: kids with tons of time and disposition to mount, fix, tweak, upgrade, clean, update drivers, mod, find workarounds, troubleshoot, stream, benchmark and sometimes play some PS2-looking indies.

consoles: adults tired from facing a boring pc screen all day long sitting on the sofa to play a good and great-looking game.

I really think it's a teen thing, like fapping. It's no coincidence that Terry Crews was addicted to both.

This has got to be one of the dumbest post I've see on gaf in a long time. It says more about you than the topic at hand.

Spidey Fan

Banned
Yes - I was referring to PC market as a whole - as noted in my post above. And yes - taken everything together it's big - 2nd only to Mobile. But see - the latter is now bigger(in revenue) than all the other platforms combined, and by some distance.

The other metrics are a result of how diverse/fragmented PC market is. Spend-per player is where consoles dominate, and likewise for cross-platform sales, simply by the nature of entire userbase being relatively uniform, while on PC only a small fraction even overlaps that.
console mainly dominate as 1 ecosystem, compared to pc. If pc was 1 unified market like consoles, it would have dominated.

but i agree with you. consoles wins in that department, and how convenient they are.

you also need to remember that consoles are hobby and luxury item. unlike pc, which most people have. Parents can justify buying pc, unlike consoles (Work, study and other stuff).

Fare thee well

Neophyte
As a pc gamer, I rolled my eyes when they kept trying to force the 'pc gaming is dead' narrative.

But tbh, I'd roll them just as much if they try to force the other narrative. I feel like there will always be a demographic who wants a nice couch-side gaming experience with little worry about the hardware. I've kind of always had a pc and one type of console at any given moment.

Spidey Fan

Banned
The billions of mobile phone gamers disagree with op.
mobile players spend 100$ buying a pack as its nothing. my highest one payment i did was 50$. I regret my younger self. If I saved all the extra money I had, I would have had good gaming pc, instead of the Radeon rx570. but that game kind of saved me from embarrassing myself in college. so it was worth it.

Nocturno999

I always thought that Nintendo and PC are winning a battle of attrition.

Next gen consoles are torn between a great hybrid system with great exclusives and not much difference graphically, and a system for better performance and serious competition.

Dream-Knife

Banned
PC gaming really has been growing, but I don't think with the current situation it will overtake consoles. Had the gpu shortage not happened, maybe.

You have to figure that casuals will continue to use consoles. Consoles are also cheaper.

One of my fears was that with consoles declining, more of the SJW types would come to infect PC. Hopefully the open nature of PC prevents this.

Dream-Knife

Banned
At some point in the not-too-distant future AAA gaming will require a screen and a controller, nothing more.

No one will upvote this, because this forum is so embroiled in the mosh pit of current gaming rivalries. But if you have an open mind to make a mental leap beyond the now, and you understand the accelerating pace of change in tech then you'll see it is inevitable.
There's always going to be a market for dedicated hardware. PC will outlast consoles in that regards because it generally attracts more of the enthusiast crowd.

It would be mildly humorous to see controller warriors in here though.

Its game over when someone makes a controller with mechanical buttons.
Sorry edited my post, lol meant to say "not straightforward" but you understood it right away ;)

My PC will remain my all-propose machine, but 5-6 years from now my next PC might simply be an Android or iOS tablet as these are getting really crazy in terms of power and ease of use. But we need to see how they evolve.
Phones and tablets have already replaced computers for casual users. Most people just use the internet to surf, chat, and stream movies and video.

Those technologies don't really appeal to the people who game on pc. Openness of the platform and freedom being big ones.

Blows my fucking mind when PC gamers try to spread this bullshit.

Very well said. 100% agreed.

"Runs best on PC". "On PC".

I didn't know I could go into a store and just buy "PC" and it runs every game perfectly at 4k 120.

My PC is only a year old and I spent a pretty little penny and it's already outdated as fuck and couldn't run games exactly how I wanted to and it was fucking frustrating. Now if I wanna upgrade to a better card I have a brick I just spent money on only a year ago? Repeat cycle if I wanna upgrade again.

Always feeling like your stuff will be outdated in a year or two will always be a shitty feeling when it comes to PC gaming and what always kills it for me.
Only if you suffer from mental illness (consumerism).

Consoles are already obsolete, its just the company/tribe you follow hasn't released something better. Buy something with good performance and don't upgrade it for 5 years. You'll still likely be in better shape than whatever console you buy.

Dacon

Banned
* pc is easier than ever to get into, whether you are building your own or buying a laptop.

Nigga what? I CANT EVEN BUY A CARD EVEN IF I HAVE THE MONEY FOR IT
* Most if not all games, including previous exclusives available on pc. Games sell systems, pc has all of them.

People aren't going to want to wait 2 to 5 years for their fav games on pc.

Everything points to pc being the dominant platform going forward. The only hurdle is the bitcoin miners driving up gpu prices. But i dont think that will matter much in a year or two. When low end pc hardware will exceed consoles anyway.

They're not just driving prices up, they're making GPUs actively unavailable to purchase.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Phones and tablets have already replaced computers for casual users. Most people just use the internet to surf, chat, and stream movies and video.

Those technologies don't really appeal to the people who game on pc. Openness of the platform and freedom being big ones.

Yeah I don't game on my "gaming" PC, but seen some rendering 4K video on iPad Pro 2020, so maybe 5 years from now it can hand some seriously heavy footage other than just 8-bit. I expect them to reach 32GB RAM by then, for some models at least.

I think I'll still use/build a desktop PC, but only time will tell.

I love PC gaming but this ain't happening anytime soon especially with how expensive GPU parts are lately.

The consoles offer way more value for money at the moment. If GPU prices weren't insane right now I would have agreed with you OP.
Both are impossible to get. Let me know when you can link me to a place to buy a ps5 for msrp. You can at least get in a waiting queue from evga to get a card , you may have to wait 9 months but you'll eventaully get it, hopefully. Consoles don't have that, to get one you have to have no life and stalker cesspool twitter and hope you get to the site in time, home you hit the button before it's sold out in 1.5 seconds... I've been trying it since last september on pre-order day.

Spidey Fan

Banned
Yeah I don't game on my "gaming" PC, but seen some rendering 4K video on iPad Pro 2020, so maybe 5 years from now it can hand some seriously heavy footage other than just 8-bit. I expect them to reach 32GB RAM by then, for some models at least.

I think I'll still use/build a desktop PC, but only time will tell.
android has dragon raja. a close to mmo with amazing graphic (sadly, the auto att runes the game, but you can turn it of). you have genshin impact. My s9 had the 4k video, which was insane detail about video quality, that it makes 1080p watery. I downgraded my phone to s21a, since it was cheaper and does what i need. still, it cant run dragon raja and or genshin impact, because of how heavy demanding they are.

I wouldnt be suprised, if they can run games like the psp/switch, at 4k 60 fps. keep in mind, that mobile games are evolving, aside from those shovel wares.

carlosrox

Banned
Buy something with good performance and don't upgrade it for 5 years. You'll still likely be in better shape than whatever console you buy.

lol my PC from last March which can do 4k 60 (or 53-60 depending on the situation) is already outdated.

PS5 and SX run Fortnite and WZ for example better than my PC can.

No way in fuck would it last 5 years lol.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
android has dragon raja. a close to mmo with amazing graphic (sadly, the auto att runes the game, but you can turn it of). you have genshin impact. My s9 had the 4k video, which was insane detail about video quality, that it makes 1080p watery. I downgraded my phone to s21a, since it was cheaper and does what i need. still, it cant run dragon raja and or genshin impact, because of how heavy demanding they are.

I wouldnt be suprised, if they can run games like the psp/switch, at 4k 60 fps. keep in mind, that mobile games are evolving, aside from those shovel wares.

Sony has just went serious on mobile gaming, so you can bet we'll see some PSP/Vita games on Android/iOS in the near future.

Majority of comments I read here think that every pc gamer spends >$1500 on their pc to game.
On the contrary, a lot of people just buy a pc that costs <$400 to play their favorite game.

Only the minority of pc gamers play on ultra settings. Most on medium to low.

Also, consoles on third world countries are a lot more expensive than pc + steam's regional pricing.

Last edited:

laynelane

Buying a console that can deliver a reasonably great experience at a affordable cost is not feasible moving forward. Reason being is console gamers want the next gen consoles to have the latest tech but keep the price @ $399.

Console gamers are not a collective. I'm happy with faster loading times and improved graphics, which is what I've received with every new console generation. I imagine those that really want the latest tech will move to PC.

reinking

Gold Member
One thing about the new consoles is that they need $1k tv for 4k viewing. That is the price of the gpu equivalent of the new console system. And I can get 4k monitor for 300$. $1200 for high pre-built pc gaming+ 300$ monitor is the same price as 500$ console with $1k tv 4k. Especially considering that consoles need high picture quality tv, with high quality sound to benefit their console. That thing adds to the console price. But people don't care apparently.
As someone who just went through purchasing monitors let me say that you can get a "$300" 4K monitor but it will be capped at 75hz max but most likely 60. If you want a monitor capable of 4K at higher refresh rates and HDR above 400 nits you are looking a close to 1k. Also, good luck getting those at retail. They seem to be suffering from stock issues too. You make it sound like PC gaming does not benefit from high quality monitors and sound. They benefit as much as consoles do and will suffer just as much as consoles if you pay $300 for a 4K monitor.

Tygeezy

The only maintenance you have to do when you have it setup is really just install new graphic drivers and windows updates every now and then. For the most part games just work.

I also blow out the case to remove dust every few months. I also have my pc setup in my living room so I actually play it on my couch.

rVG01Pa_d.webp

Last edited:

Spidey Fan

Banned
As someone who just went through purchasing monitors let me say that you can get a "$300" 4K monitor but it will be capped at 75hz max but most likely 60. If you want a monitor capable of 4K at higher refresh rates and HDR above 400 nits you are looking a close to 1k. Also, good luck getting those at retail. They seem to be suffering from stock issues too. You make it sound like PC gaming does not benefit from high quality monitors and sound. They benefit as much as consoles do and will suffer just as much as consoles if you pay $300 for a 4K monitor.
I take it back. its very expensive as of now. I only managed to find those one with 4k with 144hz. https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824012040. that is ps5 scalper price.

The reason you feel like that might be because PC games are infamously not as front loaded and focused around the top of the pops as the console market. PC games market have a near-infinite life span and wide demographic.
The reason I say it is because the biggest selling games of the last generation were by in large on the consoles or how the console versions of the same game, usually sold better than the PC versions and for me gaming on the PC was a bigger deal in the late 90's when most retail had dedicated PC sections or how you had developers like id or Epic that didn't really care about the console market much less work on the consoles themself's bar the odd Jaguar or PS2 port

That's all

The only maintenance you have to do when you have it setup is really just install new graphic drivers and windows updates every now and then. For the most part games just work.

I also blow out the case to remove dust every few months. I also have my pc setup in my living room so I actually play it on my couch.

rVG01Pa_d.webp
For me, based on my experience, games don’t “just work”. It could be I was always unlucky.

And playing on kb/m in that picture looks so uncomfortable.

Sentenza

"Of course I'm a dedicated PC gamer. Here's a screen of my desktop as undeniable proof".

- Potato resolution that would be outmatched by the average cheap android tablet.
- Four icons thrown there in disarray with no sign of the organization (or eventually the chaotic lack of it) expected by consistent use.
- No Steam in sight.

Yeah, I bet you are hardcore about it too.

Shubh_C63

Nah, PC hasn't been the top dog for years now and it's losing ground, not gaining ground.

2020 stats -
Newzoo_Games_Market_Revenues_2020.png

2018 stats -
Global_Games_Market_2018.png

In fact consoles are the faster growing segment, increasing more than PC.
Finally something concrete to base things on.
My opinion, blockbuster games will always come to consoles first and hence they will be the driving and dominant force. I will wait and play all of them on PC then.

Sygma

"Of course I'm a dedicated PC gamer. Here's a screen of my desktop as undeniable proof".

- Potato resolution that would be outmatched by the average cheap android tablet.
- Four icons thrown there in disarray with no sign of the organization (or eventually the chaotic lack of it) expected by consistent use.
- No Steam in sight.

Yeah, I bet you are hardcore about it too.

Can't tell if you're retarded or arguing in bad faith. I'll be generous and consider both

Screen has been done with the snip tool to show that I was posting it to begin with, as for the rest I didn't know you actually needed to have steam displayed as an icon or in the Taskbar to be assimilated to a HaRdCoRe Pc GaMeR

I'm aelona on steam, with the volition icon from disco elysium. Knock yourself out ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom