• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pc will be the dominant gaming platform going forward.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
I'm as much PCMR as you can be within reason, but PC being the dominant platform?

That really only works if you consider consoles to be PCs as well.
Which, to be honest, they kind of are.
PCs with limited (as in freedom of choice) hardware, limited OS and limited potential beyond gaming.

I foresee a merging of console + PC markets due to exactly that - the differences between them are very artificial in nature and I don't know how many more generations that can be maintained by MS, Sony, etc.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
It’s certainly going to be the dominant platform with dedicated gamers.

As pretty much every major console game is going to be coming to PC anyway, I won’t be buying another console probably. What’s the point?

Hellmaker

I'm as much PCMR as you can be within reason, but PC being the dominant platform?

That really only works if you consider consoles to be PCs as well.
Which, to be honest, they kind of are.
PCs with limited (as in freedom of choice) hardware, limited OS and limited potential beyond gaming.

I foresee a merging of console + PC markets due to exactly that - the differences between them are very artificial in nature and I don't know how many more generations that can be maintained by MS, Sony, etc.
Hm weren't ps4 and xbox one the last console generation for sure?

Interfectum

There are so many indications pc gaming will be the dominant gaming platform in the coming years. At the expense of consoles.

* pc is easier than ever to get into, whether you are building your own or buying a laptop.

* Huge social media presence and zeitgeist. Pc gaming has an huge presence in social media. And its growing every year. In games media it is already dominant.

* An whole generation of kids being fostered into pc gaming with minecraft, roblox, fortnite etc. They will continue to game on pc as they grow older.

* Extremely strong growth in developing countries.

* Crossgen development on console, delayed next gen adoption on an software level. It is going to make lesser pc even more valid. And in two, three years its going to be very cheap to buy an pc that vastly exceeds current consoles.

* Most if not all games, including previous exclusives available on pc. Games sell systems, pc has all of them.

Everything points to pc being the dominant platform going forward. The only hurdle is the bitcoin miners driving up gpu prices. But i dont think that will matter much in a year or two. When low end pc hardware will exceed consoles anyway.
Spider Man Lol GIF

Sygma

Nah, PC hasn't been the top dog for years now and it's losing ground, not gaining ground.

2020 stats -
Newzoo_Games_Market_Revenues_2020.png

2018 stats -
Global_Games_Market_2018.png

In fact consoles are the faster growing segment, increasing more than PC.

I mean it always has been mobile which increased gaming revenues, as well as dlcs / microtransactions

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Hm weren't ps4 and xbox one the last console generation for sure?
First time I heard that claim. Wouldn't have made sense, not even back when they released.

But I'd say it was the first generation where it became very apparent that consoles really aren't anything more than what I described above: more limited/focused PCs with a very different OS.
Given how close they are hardware- and development-wise, the only question to me is when they'll eventually merge. Not if.

There's also the performance limit to consider. At some point, hardware simply won't be able to get much faster anymore, or at least no longer at an affordable price. Some would argue we are very close to that point already.
Once that happens and console manufacturers can no longer maintain that "next generation is a serious upgrade"-cycle, I'm not sure what Sony, etc. will do then.

Daymos

If you're a millennial who is glued to a laptop anyways then spending $1000 for a new gaming laptop and getting all series X games at 1080p/60fps makes more sense than trying to buy a 4k tv, console, and sound system.

Hellmaker

First time I heard that claim. Wouldn't have made sense, not even back when they released.

But I'd say it was the first generation where it became very apparent that consoles really aren't anything more than what I described above: more limited/focused PCs with a very different OS.
Given how close they are hardware- and development-wise, the only question to me is when they'll eventually merge. Not if.

There's also the performance limit to consider. At some point, hardware simply won't be able to get much faster anymore, or at least no longer at an affordable price. Some would argue we are very close to that point already.
Once that happens and console manufacturers can no longer maintain that "next generation is a serious upgrade"-cycle, I'm not sure what Sony, etc. will do then.
People said exactly the same then, so I guess we'll see...

SNG32

Never the average consumer doesn't want to be involved with the tinkering it takes to get some games to run under optimal settings. Let's not even talk about the random crashes or why games stop randomly working.

rnlval

There are so many indications pc gaming will be the dominant gaming platform in the coming years. At the expense of consoles.

* pc is easier than ever to get into, whether you are building your own or buying a laptop.

* Huge social media presence and zeitgeist. Pc gaming has an huge presence in social media. And its growing every year. In games media it is already dominant.

* An whole generation of kids being fostered into pc gaming with minecraft, roblox, fortnite etc. They will continue to game on pc as they grow older.

* Extremely strong growth in developing countries.

* Crossgen development on console, delayed next gen adoption on an software level. It is going to make lesser pc even more valid. And in two, three years its going to be very cheap to buy an pc that vastly exceeds current consoles.

* Most if not all games, including previous exclusives available on pc. Games sell systems, pc has all of them.

Everything points to pc being the dominant platform going forward. The only hurdle is the bitcoin miners driving up gpu prices. But i dont think that will matter much in a year or two. When low end pc hardware will exceed consoles anyway.
PC is important for open software ecosystem with common boot and HAL standards when the competition the "walled garden".

Hopefully, Steam Deck opens up PC handhelds segment into a proper clone market without "walled garden".

AMD and Intel needs match Apple's 5 nm process node advantage.

AMD Rembrandt APU has 6 nm process node.

rnlval

I love PC gaming, but it won't be the major gaming platform anytime soon.

First, it's too expensive. Graphic cards cost almost as much as a console. If you want an amazing GC, then you're looking at over a grand. That's just the graphics card.

Then there are other aspects, such as installing drivers etc which most of the public wouldn't have a clue about.

Console gaming is so popular because it's cheaper and is plug and play.
PC gaming platform is largest for desktop form factor.

rnlval

PC is easier to get into in one way since just about everyone has a laptop or PC at home. Consoles no.

As amazing as it seems, ebven though gaming has exploded the past 20+ years, console sales havent really moved at all. Revenue has due to mtx, but hardware units havent. The hardware pie got bigger due to people going PC and mobile.

But a key factor is how good your PC is at home to run quality games at quality settings. I know I cant with my 3 year old laptop with a Ryzen 2500U with Vega Mobile gpu. I can run old games at shit settings and res nice. But thats just about it.

I tried playing the Fantasy General II Demo. I dialed back the settings as low as possible and it was running about 20 fps.
Ryzen 5 2500U's constrained by dual-channel DDR4-2400 (38 GB/s) memory bandwidth. Newer mobile Ryzen APUs have access to dual-channel DDR4-3200 (51 GB/s via 128 bit 3200 MT).

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
It could dominate my world, but they've been saying that about PC since the early 1980's.

Javthusiast

Banned
Should the day come where all Xbox and Sony games are date and date coming out on pc with consoles, then I will fully turn to pc gaming.

Right now, couldn't care less.

Kenpachii

Nah, PC hasn't been the top dog for years now and it's losing ground, not gaining ground.

2020 stats -

2018 stats -

This doesn't say much because we are in a market generation shift for consoles which means lots of adiditional income of console hardware that u normally don't see otherwise.
Corona massively effected sales and PC is lacking on this front from the simple reason hardware is unpayable expensive ( gpu wise ). ( a 3060 which is basically a 1080ti, is almost as expensive as a 1080ti on its release day 600 euro's and that's what 4 year old gpu by now? and considered the budget tier for nvidia.

So this is basically best of what a console can do versus worst a PC can do.

Also development country's are not jumping into consoles they are jumping into PC's. Steam and every other platform on PC is growing massively. I would say user wise PC is by far the target and if hardware costs normalize again by higher production i could see consoles being under PC with a pretty significant margin in a few years from now.

On top of that i could both see being hit by streaming tech if it advances tho, and basically giving mobile even a higher boost. But this probably will also hit consoles harder then PC.

It will be interesting to see where this is going to land in the year 2023-4

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned

2020 stats -

2018 stats -

Yup, exactly.

Just look at the small change in PC gaming revenue VS the console going from 34.6B to 45.2B...... over 10Billion of a jump in just 2 years.

Then think of all the issues PC is running into. Crypto cutting into GPU's, laws against Pre-builds in 6 states already....before you know it there will be laws against high end GPU's for their power-draw.

As gaming becomes bigger it makes more sense to have DEDICATED gaming hardware.... meaning consoles and handhelds.

Having no steward really hurts PC as it leaves it unable to respond to market changes and the market is changing, so is politics....energy is a big issue and open platforms like PC allow a lot of cheating DDOS, as we have seen in Titanfall and Apex and a plethora of other issues including hate speach and hate groups.

We will see console pull ahead in a massive way due to politics, economics, consumer needs and a variety of other factors.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Let's be honest. They've been calling for the dominance and death of various platforms since I was born with a Commodore and Atari in my hands. I roll my eyes everytime.

Companies and platforms may die, but gaming goes on. That's all I ever care about. If they add a keyboard and mouse peripheral to a console so I can play Warhammer 3 TW on it, AND I can get access to good modding communities like I can now.... then sure, might try it out.

I've usually had nintendo, PS, and pc's in my life. Nintendo fulfills zelda and party games. PS fulfills the artful journey and story singleplayer experience for me. PC fulfills the mmorpg, RTS, and excessive graphics-breaking/modding I like to do. I probably played most xbox games as well through proxy of friends.

And let's not forget. A pc is a console and a console is a pc. They aren't really that alien in component structure.

dcx4610

I think it will be the dominant development platform. I do think over time, it will become the main platform.

Right now, it's easiest just to development games on high end PCs and port them down to consoles. This wasn't always the case but with the XSX and PS5 both being x86, it just makes sense. I think as consoles become more and more digital and then eventually just becoming streaming boxes, there will still be a strong desire but some of us that want to run games locally and on high end software. It will be the only game in town at some point.

sunnysideup

Banned
My points are even more valid now with reveal of the steam deck class of hardware.

The entry is going to be even lower with future game decks, and steam dock consoles.

I think it will be the dominant development platform. I do think over time, it will become the main platform.

Right now, it's easiest just to development games on high end PCs and port them down to consoles. This wasn't always the case but with the XSX and PS5 both being x86, it just makes sense. I think as consoles become more and more digital and then eventually just becoming streaming boxes, there will still be a strong desire but some of us that want to run games locally and on high end software. It will be the only game in town at some point.
Thankfully none of us will be alive to see this future.

Hezekiah

Banned
Yup, exactly.

Just look at the small change in PC gaming revenue VS the console going from 34.6B to 45.2B...... over 10Billion of a jump in just 2 years.

Then think of all the issues PC is running into. Crypto cutting into GPU's, laws against Pre-builds in 6 states already....before you know it there will be laws against high end GPU's for their power-draw.

As gaming becomes bigger it makes more sense to have DEDICATED gaming hardware.... meaning consoles and handhelds.

Having no steward really hurts PC as it leaves it unable to respond to market changes and the market is changing, so is politics....energy is a big issue and open platforms like PC allow a lot of cheating DDOS, as we have seen in Titanfall and Apex and a plethora of other issues including hate speach and hate groups.

We will see console pull ahead in a massive way due to politics, economics, consumer needs and a variety of other factors.
I love PC gaming, but I cant see it ever taking over as the dominant platform. Most casuals just want the ease of use that consoles give.

Then there's the prices of PCs if you want to play AAA games on high/extreme settings.

Maybe consoles are just locked down gaming PCs? I mean gone are the days of bespoke hardware.

Probably the reason why I decided to get a gaming PC when I had some money for it

PC is the only true backward compatible platform. Games from Windows 95 still work to this day if and if for some reason they don't you get bet the community will come up with a patch. I have all of the consoles and I still prefer PC.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
PC is the only true backward compatible platform. Games from Windows 95 still work to this day if and if for some reason they don't you get bet the community will come up with a patch. I have all of the consoles and I still prefer PC.

I wouldn't be fully against legacy titles going to PC but not games from a current generation..... for me, it would have to be after the genration ended and another 2-3 years. So that would average about 10 years after release.

Skifi28

I just tried to start the recent spyro trilogy on steam and it would crash every minute. It required a fix using cmd because the game for whatever reason was trying to contact an epic server and naturally couldn't. Honestly, I didn't feel all that dominant.

BlueHawk357

No chance.
This literally gets said every generation and it never happens.

For reference I made a gaming PC 4 months ago and spent about £1600 on it. I haven’t played on it since building it. I’ve been too busy playing on PS5, and even went out to buy a Series S, which ironically cost 8 times less than the PC but I’ve played more and had more fun on it than the PC.

Do I regret building the PC? Heck yeah I do. Sure it’s more powerful than the Xbox, but not much different to PS5 and just not as “comfy” to play on. Guess I’ll be selling it if no awesome PC games come out this year.

It doesnt matter. PC is not in competition with Xbox, PS or Nintendo. The only 2 platforms in direct competition is PS and Xbox no matter how much MS downplays the battle because they wont beat PS in sales.

Last edited:
This doesn't say much because we are in a market generation shift for consoles which means lots of adiditional income of console hardware that u normally don't see otherwise.
Corona massively effected sales and PC is lacking on this front from the simple reason hardware is unpayable expensive ( gpu wise ). ( a 3060 which is basically a 1080ti, is almost as expensive as a 1080ti on its release day 600 euro's and that's what 4 year old gpu by now? and considered the budget tier for nvidia.

So this is basically best of what a console can do versus worst a PC can do.

Also development country's are not jumping into consoles they are jumping into PC's. Steam and every other platform on PC is growing massively. I would say user wise PC is by far the target and if hardware costs normalize again by higher production i could see consoles being under PC with a pretty significant margin in a few years from now.

On top of that i could both see being hit by streaming tech if it advances tho, and basically giving mobile even a higher boost. But this probably will also hit consoles harder then PC.

It will be interesting to see where this is going to land in the year 2023-4
What are you on about, those factual stats commence from 2018. Things have only gotten worse for PC gaming with the new console gen and Covid of 2020 and 2021.

I think you will find a growth trend in PC gaming again soon as Sony and Xbox especially make a push with things like gamepass and same day releases with crossplay.

Last edited:
I'm 35 and the older I get the more I appreciate plug and play. Picked up a Series X cause PS5 availability is terrible. Picked up a 55' LG C1 OLED with it and have not regretted that decision. Game Pass is fantastic for how I consume games. Anyway will I upgrade my PC in the future? Probably. When I can build a PC for, at most, $1k, and have it absolutely leave these consoles in the dust, that's when I upgrade. It may take a while but that's okay.

Top Bottom