• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phillip W. Spencer III:Starfield has now over 12m players since it's launch

Tsaki

It was 10 million on September 20th

fxY7fAv.gif

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
Forza Horizon 5 had over 10 million players within its launch week.

Comparatively speaking, Starfield fucking bombed considering Bethesda's legacy as the maker of The Elder Scrolls and Fallout.

Just imagine if Cyberpunk 2077 had been available at no additional cost to an user base of +25M users between two platforms from day one... and three months later it turned out that it had been *tried* by less than half of the service's subscribers and ended up being surpassed in terms of metrics by a fucking racing game, out of all things.

And they bought an entire publisher only over this game.

How many of those 12m downloads already dropped the game?

Eh you can say that about practically any game tho. What was the percentage of people who finished Witcher 3, like 25%?

I don’t normally ever “finish” massive games like these, but that doesn’t mean I don’t play the shit out of them and get my money’s worth.

Last edited:
The game clearly struggled a bit in development. Hopefully ES VI is a return to form.

To be honest with you I’m not a big Bethesda fan, I had kind of hoped this would change my viewpoint but I think that was more to do with being a disgruntled Xbox fan wanting something to be genuinely happy about.

LastBattle

Great result so far for a new ip. After finishing AW2 recently I returned to Starfield yesterday. It has its issues for sure (my daughter walked past and said “omg what is that!”, referring to
An NPCs face I was talking to) but I don’t know what it is with Starfield. It’s like comfort food in gaming form. I easily put in a 5-6 hr session. I can’t do that with the vast majority of
Other games.

When 25+ million people have access to the game at no additional cost, I'm not sure that 12 million is a "great" number. In fact, I know that it isn't.

I love the cringe desire to make this game sound like a success. It clearly isn't and that is why Bethesda is writing their cringe responses on Steam because Steam sales have cratered as a result. These aren't things you do when your game is a "hit."

Not a great result to be honest. Still good for a new IP though, but it seems like it was really affected by the bad word of mouth created by steam reviews and media constantly posting the negative stuff about the game. Very curious about future TES performance.

When 25+ million people have access to the game at no additional cost, I'm not sure that 12 million is a "great" number. In fact, I know that it isn't.
Do you understand that not everybody is playing every game? There are 100m+ consoles out there, 1b+ PCs yet there are not many games that pass 10m in sales...By your own logic, the every game is a flop because not every device owner bought it.

How many of those 12m downloads already dropped the game?
It is still in top 10, surpassed only by GaaS games on Xbox.

Last edited:
Do you understand that not everybody is playing every game? There are 100m+ consoles out there, 1b+ PCs yet there are not many games that pass 10m in sales...By your own logic, the every game is a flop because not every device owner bought it.

I love how disingenuous you are.

• How many games are in development for 8+ years?
  • How many games get the advertising and marketing push that Starfield got?
  • How many games have the hype/buzz of a Bethesda release?
  • How many games are available as a free download
It's not about every device owner buying it, not even half the people on GamePass downloaded it, a service largely starved of any major games in the first place.

Do you know how many PS+ games I "purchase" that I'll never play?

Compare Starfield to games that have actually, SOLD 10 million copies. Skyrim SOLD 10 million copies in 1 month.

At least half of these downloads will have been on GamePass, meaning that Starfield is doing FAR less than Skyrim in more time.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
In sales maybe, in people clicking on it not really.
Why is game sales the be all and end all? We have multiple people who have 2000+ game collections according to that other thread. I guarantee a lot of people have bought games and never played them or put in less than an hour. It might have been the best metric once upon a time, but nowadays with free to play GaaS and subscription services it's becoming less and less meaningful.

• How many games are in development for 8+ years? Does not matter.
  • How many games get the advertising and marketing push that Starfield got? It actually got less than I expected.
  • How many games have the hype/buzz of a Bethesda release? You mean the amount of negative press it received out of the box?
  • How many games are available as a free download? Does not matter.

It's not about every device owner buying it, not even half the people on GamePass downloaded it, a service largely starved of any major games in the first place.
You immediately made yourself irrelevant by that statement :messenger_tears_of_joy: You do understand that people play a lot of different games on Game Pass? People play various games on Game Pass, just like people buy various games. Simple as that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom