• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phillip W. Spencer III:Starfield has now over 12m players since it's launch

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Lets Go Nba GIF by Storyful

Mr Hyde

False. Stop lying. Jesus Christ. Anything to be over dramatic.

Seriously. If anyone thought ONE GAME would overthrow Sony and Nintendo, it's your own fault for being so gullible. Starfield is doing really well for a brand new IP and even better going up against well established titan IPs, it did great. You dont have to agree but to call it a flop is 3rd degree delusion.

Never said the game would overthrow Sony and Nintendo. Never said it was a flop. You're just showing your own insecurities around Starfield. Stop projecting and above all, stop being a pathetic fanboy. You're fucking embarrassing in how you carry yourself here on GAF.

Three

Why is game sales the be all and end all? We have multiple people who have 2000+ game collections according to that other thread. I guarantee a lot of people have bought games and never played them or put in less than an hour. It might have been the best metric once upon a time, but nowadays with free to play GaaS and subscription services it's becoming less and less meaningful.
I'm not saying it is the be all and end all. I mean in terms of new MAU 1M is not great performance from their initial 10M.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

Seriously. If anyone thought ONE GAME would overthrow Sony and Nintendo, it's your own fault for being so gullible. Starfield is doing really well for a brand new IP and even better going up against well established titan IPs, it did great. You dont have to agree but to call it a flop is 3rd degree delusion.

You said back in October that Starfield was selling bonkers when that was a complete lie.

Strictly speaking software sales Starfield is selling bonkers, and thats not including subs added to Gamepass since it released. Unfortunately we probably won't get those numbers and without them, its hard to fully understand just how well Starfield is really doing. That said though, Xbox doesnt care what platform you play on - hence - why they open their platform up to so many devices. This has always been their M.O.

Its crazy how folks are literally trying to find a way to spin this new IP selling huge into a negative.

Without numbers you have no clue its NOT selling well either. I'll say this; there's more evidence that its selling well than not.

Now you're claiming it's doing very well for a new iP when that's not true. This game has a large development budget for a new IP and there's enough evidence that suggest is not doing very well.

I'll quote your previous comment from October.

You
Starfield will be a "Halo" moment. For sure this is a landmark game.

Heisenberg007
That'll be a competition b/w Zelda and Spider-Man 2. Zelda might win by a slight margin though.

In terms of sales, I think this is how the 4 games will rank:
  1. Zelda
  2. Spider-Man 2
  3. Hogwart's Legacy
  4. Starfield

In reply to Heisenberg
Long term: anyone thinking any of these games will sell as many as Starfield long term, are nuts! That game will sell copies and copies for well over a decade or more.

You had very high expectations for this game and now you moved the goalpost to, "It's selling well for a new IP."

Xbox fans get upset when people come into Starfield threads and this is the reason why people do it. Xbox fans were hyping this thing up as one of the greatest games ever.

Last edited:

Klayzer

You said back in October that Starfield was selling bonkers when that was a complete lie.

Now you're claiming it's doing very well for a new iP when that's not true. This game has a large development budget for a new IP and there's enough evidence that suggest is not doing very well.

I'll quote my previous comment from October.

You

Heisenberg007

In reply to Heisenberg

You had very high expectations for this game and now you moved the goalpost to, "It's selling well for a new IP."

Xbox fans get upset when people come into Starfield threads and this is the reason why people do it. Xbox fans were hyping this thing up as one of the greatest games ever.
Lol. Busted with a box of receipts.

Thirty7ven

Banned
There’s 25 million subscribers. The game is free money #girlmath for anyone subscribed, and out of 12 million about 3 million are not subscribers, so around 9 million even bothered to press the download for free button after all this time which is hilarious considering the hype cycle. The big silver bullet.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
There’s 25 million subscribers. The game is free money #girlmath for anyone subscribed, and out of 12 million about 3 million are not subscribers, so around 9 million even bothered to press the download for free button after all this time which is hilarious considering the hype cycle. The big silver bullet.
That's normal though, lots of people don't give two shits about an RPG. Remember in 2021 - 1 million playstation players played CoD exclusively, not even trying one other game.

twilo99

I probably would not revisit it. To me, it’s done. I also struggle with single player games. I don’t have time to sit around for hours upon hours anymore, and if I did, I want to go out and do stuff!

That's exactly how I feel.. i just get way more entertainment and satisfaction out of multiplayer titles.

But, look at this person for example... outposts.. he is all about it lol he's like building cities in there, spreadsheets and all...

Last edited:

Oooh Weeee! Smh. Stop. Just stop talking right now.

Tell me you have NO CLUE what you're talking about without telling me you have NO CLUE what you're talking about. Damn...

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Never said the game would overthrow Sony and Nintendo. Never said it was a flop. You're just showing your own insecurities around Starfield. Stop projecting and above all, stop being a pathetic fanboy. You're fucking embarrassing in how you carry yourself here on GAF.
That's exactly what you said. And don't worry how I conduct my posts on GaF. Stay in your lane. Talk about embarrassing: a keyboard GaF gangster trying to go hard on a gaming enthusiast forum. Please....

You dont like my posts, block me. Better yet, I got you, broski...

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Think Tim Robinson GIF by NETFLIX

Redfall will be ready to go. No way Phil allows Starfield to releases unpolished. The game has the potential to be a massive new IP for Xbox and almost certainly will be a system seller and increase Gamepass numbers substantially. It'll be surprisingly well polished up on release. I wouldn't doubt if Bethesda had help from other studios like TC.

But I'm betting Starfield will be high calibur. Moreso than any Bethesda game has ever been. It has to be. Expectations are really high on this one.

Like, can you imagine if Bethesda's new IP (25 years in the making, mind you) comes out like every other Bethesda game? I can hear the fanboys all ready.

"25 years in the making and it still has bugs!'

"Bugthesda Eternal!'

"Even with Microsoft money, bugs still plague Bethesda games!"

It'll be endless and annoying AF! They'll tighten up or reep the whirlwind. Phil ain't havin' it. I'm telling you...
Yeah. I'm betting Spiderman 2 will take a hit if it's too close to Starfield. Just a huge, huge game incoming. Hype will be massive the week of release.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
What people are downloading from Gamepass if not Starfield? Number seems pretty low to me considering are not sales.
Yeah, this is what surprised me the most.

I honestly thought that 20-25 million players would be a given in the first month, as in Game Pass has 25 million subscribers, 15-20 million people will at least try it, and the game will sell 5M+ copies in the 1st month.

Taur007

How many of those 12m downloads already dropped the game?
Wonder how many people still playing spiderman or swung around for 6 hours an dropped the game? New people play games everyday, just cause it didn't stick to you doesn't mean it won't with others. Sony NEEDS those sales cause their game's replayability are the worse out of the big 3

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Wonder how many people still playing spiderman or swung around for 6 hours an dropped the game? New people play games everyday, just cause it didn't stick to you doesn't mean it won't with others. Sony NEEDS those sales cause their game's replayability are the worse out of the big 3
Even if someone dropped Spider-Man 2 after a couple of hours, it still means they bought the game for $70, ensuring the game's commercial success.

If someone drops Starfield after a couple of hours, after downloading it for free, how does it benefit Bethesda and Microsoft?

And for your answer, 75% of people have gotten to at least mission #15. And 20% have gotten the platinum trophy. So "players dropping" is not the problem.

MbxKi8L.jpg

Fredrik

Great result so far for a new ip. After finishing AW2 recently I returned to Starfield yesterday. It has its issues for sure (my daughter walked past and said “omg what is that!”, referring to
An NPCs face I was talking to) but I don’t know what it is with Starfield. It’s like comfort food in gaming form. I easily put in a 5-6 hr session. I can’t do that with the vast majority of
Other games.
Yeah that’s it, there is always something to do, and just wait until you start fiddling with spaceship building or outposts. For me it has been the main course this year, 200+ hours, everything else has been desserts.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I don't understand how this is that great? This is available at a single click on a subscription service that has around 30M subscribers at no extra cost...add to that everyone that bought the game and all you get is 12M people that downloaded it and pressed "Play" once?
It's not. They expected Starfield to sell 10 million copies just on the PS5.

To have 12 million "players" in total after 3 months is outright terrible.

The big difference is.

Sony doesn't care about the game once you bought it. They already made their money from retail sales.

So what's the Issue with Spider-Man 2?

Anyways I'm sure any company would be happy with their games selling a lot of copies. It's just better for their bottom line if they successfully sell those games at 70$ per title.

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

I'm the biggest Bethesda fanboy, I still play FO3, NV and Oblivion very regularly. Skyrim slightly less so. I think I played 5 hours of Starfield and dropped it. Just didn't resonate with me like I had hoped and I suspect I'm not the only one.
I didn’t even last 5 hours, think it was 2-3 for me.

Slow, dull, archaic ass game.

Even if someone dropped Spider-Man 2 after a couple of hours, it still means they bought the game for $70, ensuring the game's commercial success.

If someone drops Starfield after a couple of hours, after downloading it for free, how does it benefit Bethesda and Microsoft?

And for your answer, 75% of people have gotten to at least mission #15. And 20% have gotten the platinum trophy. So "players dropping" is not the problem.

MbxKi8L.jpg

Immaterial.

Starfield is a new ip. Not a derivative game. Far more exciting.

Bethesda is increasing its skill set with it.

They need to further improve it, but expected when your game is pioneering.

TransTrender

Gold Member

MbxKi8L.jpg
Thanks, I remember seeing these numbers recently in a thread.

20% getting Platinum seems crazy high as well.

The big difference is.

Sony doesn't care about the game once you bought it. They already made their money from retail sales.

So what's the Issue with Spider-Man 2?

Anyways I'm sure any company would be happy with their games selling a lot of copies. It's just better for their bottom line if they successfully sell those games at 70$ per title.

People continue to conflate B2P and Subscription.

It doesn't help that there are so many media surrogates for Microsoft out there.

Jim Ryan famously or infamously said that they wouldn't put their big AAA games as day 1 because it would be impossible for them to keep their budgets up. Selling million of copies of games at 70 dollars a pop is significantly more fruitful than short term engagement on a subscription service.

If I subscribed to PS+ for 1 month JUST for Spider-Man, I'd have canceled PS+ after 1 month. Even at the most expensive tier that would be 18 dollars (more than gamepass) rather than 70 million.

Microsoft's problem with is that based on these numbers it's highly unlikely that Starfield drove new subscribers or retained subscribers at an above average rate, particularly in relation to the high cost of development and advertising for the game.

And Bobby Kotick's comments about GamePass being value destructive were almost certainly true with what has to be the vast majority of players, playing it on GamePass rather than buying it on XBS or Steam.

Immaterial.

Starfield is a new ip. Not a derivative game. Far more exciting.

Bethesda is increasing its skill set with it.

They need to further improve it, but expected when your game is pioneering.

Whether it is a new IP or not is largely immaterial.

New IP or not, it still took nearly a decade to develop and it'll be extremely difficult for Bethesda to slide this game into its rotation if it doesn't carry long term interest.

Consider that they'll want to make an Elder's Scrolls 6 and a Fallout 5. When do you think Starfield 2 will come out? Had the game been an absolute hit, they would have been able to expand the studio to accomodate enough resources to produce a 3rd title and probably even a Starfield Online game.

None of the results suggest that would be successful at this point and throwing the game on GamePass undercuts a great deal of the revenue you'd be getting essentially making it F2P. Balancing that and microtransactions for people who are indeed buying it for 20 dollars, would be tough.

In other words if the only people who would play it are the people who already have gamepass... you're only increasing the operating cost of gamepass.

Fredrik

I enjoyed the game myself and am looking forward to the DLC but do we need to keep having threads about the game? Honestly anything with Starfield or Phil Spencer in the title becomes a shit show.
12m players isn’t worth a thread?

Congrats to MS and Bethesda! 🏆🥳

Seriously, people joke about it not having legs or how few of the 12m that are still playing it.
But we’re 3 months after release now lol
How many single player games without any co-op or anything are people still playing after 3 months?

I’m done with most SP games after a week or two, sometimes less, record is a weekend. So when a game like this comes along giving me 200+ hours of entertainment for months and being structured to kinda be played forever it’s worthy of some praise.

Just hoping they’ll release the mod tools soon. They absolutely need to get that right. Should do a beta and let it evolve with input from the mod community.

Neilg

There were 25 million active game pass subscribers before it's release. So half of them could have paid nothing, downloaded it and booted it up for an hour, hated it, and his statement would still be true.

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

Hmmmmm...
uzVUVDS.png

MbxKi8L.jpg
I was gonna post the same thing Heisenberg007 Heisenberg007 about Spidermans engagement vs Stanfield.

It's not even close. Starfield is a giant disappointment for alot of Bethesda fans. It's not as colossal a failure as mass effect Andromeda was for EA but based on where the bar was set by fallout/elder scrolls it's a massive hit in the pr department.

I only got 5 hours into it and it's not for me. Don't really have any desire to go back to it either and neither do the majority of players according to the stats. This isn't going to have a no man's sky/cyberpunk revival if past Bethesda games are concerned; the majority of post launch content comes from modders doing it for free.

Ar¢tos

12m players isn’t worth a thread?

Congrats to MS and Bethesda! 🏆🥳

Seriously, people joke about it not having legs or how few of the 12m that are still playing it.
But we’re 3 months after release now lol
How many single player games without any co-op or anything are people still playing after 3 months?

I’m done with most SP games after a week or two, sometimes less, record is a weekend. So when a game like this comes along giving me 200+ hours of entertainment for months and being structured to kinda be played forever it’s worthy of some praise.

Just hoping they’ll release the mod tools soon. They absolutely need to get that right. Should do a beta and let it evolve with input from the mod community.
The game was made with a budget expecting full price sales on 3 platforms and that changed last minute to remove one platform and to be given for "free" on the other 2.
No matter how many players it has, it will always be a commercial failure.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

You overhyped it. You were bragging about it. If you do this then you better hope it lives up to the hype. If it doesn't, then you shouldn't be surprised if people are laughing about it later.

This is no different than basketball fans hyping up their team and then they end up losing in the playoffs. Live with the results.

I thought Zelda as well but it's now clear we are dealing with a once in a generation game with Starfield, people will be playing this long after TOTK is forgotten about.

Way I look at it is, Starfield is the game we all dreamed about as kids. Building your own spaceship and heading out into an unknown galaxy with almost endless possibilities. Space the final frontier, explore strange new worlds; to seek out new life and new civilizations; to boldly go where no one has gone before 😁 yeah Starfield has got this in the bag.

Starfield is the next genre defining open world game and that's not too far away.

Comment
RDR2 was more of a world, a shared memory, than a game. I don’t even hold it in the same category as other games. It stands tall among everything else. With the scale and ambition this title will have, 2025 sounds right.

I mean, they will absolutely set the bar again. And by 2025 I’d be surprised if anything matched RDR2 in terms of scale and ambition.

Your reply.

Starfield says hi.

Comments

Elden Ring is 2022, and I don’t think it will dominate the awards season since it will launch at the beginning of the year and filter casuals and journos. Just like Sekiro didn’t win that many awards either.

Oh yeah I forgot

Your reply.
And in 2022 we have Starfield 😉

Last edited:
Top Bottom