• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro devkits arrive at third-party studios, Sony expects Pro specs to leak

season 9 navy GIF

Here's an idea, stop releasing mid generation upgrades and just make the best console you can.

This "ps5 pro" could easily have been made 3 years ago, and everyone who bought a ps5 is effectively left with an inferior product that has barely been utilised to the fullest.

I don't know, I'm all for choice I suppose, but there's just something about this whole mid gen upgrade business model that now seems ubiquitous that rubs me the wrong way.

Does anyone really think we won't see a ps6 pro?

I wonder what Microsoft will do?

Will we see a Series X 2.0 or something?

Don't remember hearing any rumours, unlike the Sony ones which have been around for ages.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Probably the same reason why people insist that one company's weaker console holds back their more powerful console yet suddenly believe that another company's weaker console won't hold back their more powerful console.

I wonder why.
TIL the PS5 turned into the Series S.

Must be magic.

Like some said, the PS4 Pro already happened. It didnt cause issues.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
So it's better to play crossgen games on the worst piece of hardware...gotcha.

"the worst piece of hardware" would be the base ps4 but a system that millions of gamers already own over new hardware that offers almost nothing exclusive.....yes
And stuff like Demon's Souls, Astrobot, Returnal, etc never happened.

a (crappy) remake of a PS3 game from two gens ago and two games I think are pretty bad? I wish they never happened

Plus...games like Gran Turismo 7 with almost instant loadings instead of waiting 40 seconds for each race to start on a PS4, playing Ghost of Tsushima at 60fps, Horizon had a huge upgrade on PS5, etc...

In this case, PS4 was not needed considering it started with less games than the PS5 and its exclusive games output was non-existant until Bloodborne...and then another year until Uncharted 4. Maybe it should've been released in 2006 only. /s

Everyone doesn't care about 60fps or instant loading when they already own a console that can play the game

PS4 was not needed considering it started with less games than the PS5 and its exclusive games output was non-existant until Bloodborne.

YES!!! I agree it really wasn't

and the same logic you are applying to PS4 is the exact thing I'm saying about PS5 and is why I sold my PS4.....PS4 wasn't needed all the games starting going to PC just like PS5 isn't actualy needed because outside of cross-gen the output is weak af

Kilau

Gold Member
See Kil, I'll never understand this, I mean, I played many games at 60fps on the Pro compared to the base 30fps versions that it was worth the price of admission for that alone.

GOW, Shadow of the colossus, Infamous second son and its DLC, TLOU, Nier automata, Nioh performance mode etc etc...
GOW wasn't 60fps on the Pro, it was unlocked 30fps :sick:. Shadow of the Colossus looked like crap in performance mode. Infamous I had finished when it launched so didn't feel the need to play through it again just for the FPS. Don't care about TLOU, Nier was better but still struggled and I never played Nioh. I only had a 1080p TV then so a small resolution boost above 1080p didn't really matter much, it did help with my PSVR though. I just hope the PS5 Pro brings a lot more to the table.

a (crappy) remake of a PS3 game from two gens ago and two games I think are pretty bad? I wish they never happened
If you think Demon's Souls remake is "crappy" and that Astrobot and Returnal are "pretty bad", i have nothing else to say.
Wouldn’t the regular ps5 hold back the pro now?
Not really considering these Pro consoles are basically for framerates and resolution increases. They aren't a generation a part like the PS4 to PS5 consoles.

Thirty7ven

Banned
I meant buying the base console, and then buying the upgrade in a few years. If the PS5 Pro is $750 as I think it will be, you're looking at a minimum of $1150 spent on hardware for a whole gen, getting close to what a person with a decent gaming PC spends on upgrades over the course of 7ish years. All without the benefits of open store platforms driving prices down.

I'll admit I kind of butchered my original post. Tl;dr, PC prices for console limitations.

If the Ps5 Pro is 1k then...

You're hypothesis makes no sense. People who upgrade sell the previous one.

I really don't understand what's so hard to understand and why it always becomes a pitch for some just as dumb if not dumber alternative. How about you don't spend money on games and reach total yoga status? Go buy a new dinner table.

saintjules

Here's an idea, stop releasing mid generation upgrades and just make the best console you can.

This "ps5 pro" could easily have been made 3 years ago, and everyone who bought a ps5 is effectively left with an inferior product that has barely been utilised to the fullest.

I don't know, I'm all for choice I suppose, but there's just something about this whole mid gen upgrade business model that now seems ubiquitous that rubs me the wrong way.

Does anyone really think we won't see a ps6 pro?

I wonder what Microsoft will do?

Will we see a Series X 2.0 or something?

Don't remember hearing any rumours, unlike the Sony ones which have been around for ages.

I don't know man. Then I would tell those damn phone companies to make the best phone they can so it last 3 or 4 years instead of them releasing annually.

Same for GPUs.

Same for Cars.

Why are we getting annual options for these? At least with these mid-gen console upgrades they happen 3-4 years in. Then those that want it can get it at that point in their life. If those that don't need it, turn a blind eye? I don't get it lol.

For me personally I might just upgrade my PC gpu.

So as long as you don't mind waiting a few years for a PS game to hit on PC without bugs, then definitely I hear you on that. I mean, imagine every game was a "Bloodborne" type situation where you hear no news about it appearing on PC. Would you consider otherwise?

Last edited:
What about release some games for the actual hardware before thinking of Pro model?
Yeah, VR is basically unsupported by them at this point as it doesn't seem like any of their internal studios are working on anything interesting. I'm not interested in their other games either at the moment. It's all a bit boring at the minute.

GOW wasn't 60fps on the Pro, it was unlocked 30fps :sick:. Shadow of the Colossus looked like crap in performance mode. Infamous I had finished when it launched so didn't feel the need to play through it again just for the FPS. Don't care about TLOU, Nier was better but still struggled and I never played Nioh. I only had a 1080p TV then so a small resolution boost above 1080p didn't really matter much, it did help with my PSVR though. I just hope the PS5 Pro brings a lot more to the table.
GOW was mostly 50fps on Pro and was much better than playing at 30fps (notably the input lag).

The base came out three years ago and there are plenty of games.

I disagree. I just sold my PS5 for £60 less than when I bought it. In the likely event that GTA 6 comes out on consoles 12 months before PC. I'll get a PS5 pro for that, quickly play through the 1-2 other games worth checking out on PS5 that have come out in the past 2 years and then sell it again.

I was staring at my PS5 and just couldn't think of any game on there worth playing or buying. PC has it all for me now.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I disagree. I just sold my PS5 for £60 less than when I bought it. In the likely event that GTA 6 comes out on consoles 12 months before PC. I'll get a PS5 pro for that, quickly play through the 1-2 other games worth checking out on PS5 that have come out in the past 2 years and then sell it again.

I was staring at my PS5 and just couldn't think of any game on there worth playing or buying. PC has it all for me now.
Cool.

Kilau

Gold Member
GOW was mostly 50fps on Pro and was much better than playing at 30fps (notably the input lag).
According to DF.

The frame-rate averages in the mid to upper 40s most of the time during any skirmish while some of the quieter moments can jump up to or around 60fps.

Anytime that input mattered it was barely an improvement and with judder included. Plus it’s not a twitch online shooter so apart from maybe the Valkyrie fights it wasn’t really being hurt from input lag at 30fps.

GHG

Love how you guys are begging and waiting for more power

I want everything I game on to have more power.

Got the 4090 as soon as I could, got a quest 3 as soon as it became available where I live despite already having a quest 2, got my PS5 on launch day, will get this and the next Nintendo console on launch day.

Let the haters hate, they don't need to buy anything, all of this is optional. The pre-existing and older hardware options will continue to exist.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Yeah, I absolutely don't care seeing as my game time is super limited and I see no compelling games with innovative gameplay vs. last gen. Next one will probably be Switch 2.

According to DF.

Anytime that input mattered it was barely an improvement and with judder included. Plus it’s not a twitch online shooter so apart from maybe the Valkyrie fights it wasn’t really being hurt from input lag at 30fps.
Total "half glass is empty" FUD from DF who wanted to put anything PS4 Pro under a negative perspective. It was around 50fps during most fights actually and 60fps ish during many exploration moments. NXGamer noted an average of 51fps in his video. Perfectly playable and a big improvement compared to PS4 version. I platinumed the game BTW, I would know.

FingerBang

Whats the point? We are still cross gen, im barely using the PS5??
I legit don't get this kind of post.

There have been plenty of next gen games.
Cross-gen games are still PS5 games and they play way better on PS4.

Are you people aware you can still play many modern games with 10 year old hardware?

Tom aint a random guy
Please stop posting baseless nonsense, "random guy on twitter" is not a source
Tom has an excellent track record when it comes to PS hardware

He called the Dual Sense Pro controller, the Portal, the earbuds and the detachable drive PS5 long before anyone else

That removes him from the random Twitter dude crowd

Top Bottom