• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro devkits arrive at third-party studios, Sony expects Pro specs to leak

Yea I know you guys don't like RGT, but in his latest RDNA 4 video. He had these specs.

One thing I noticed is Navi 48 has 32 WGP, same as PS5 Pro rumored WGP. Coincidence?

If PS5 Pro is RDNA4, I can see them pairing it with Zen5c. Similar to what Kepler thinks Steam Deck 2 will use.

Nope. PS5 Pro GPU should be Navi 48 prototype. In a few years we'll compare PS5 Pro (RT) performance against those cards the same way DF currently compares PS5 with RDNA 2 RX 6700. Remember when they were naively comparing PS5 with 5700? Those days are over since long ago and they wouldn't dare compare PS5 with those.

Last edited:
I
I kinda wish Sony would just do a soft reveal / talk with Cerny akin to the PS4 Pro event or the Road To PS5, sooner rather than later, perhaps in the week before GDC.

I understand not wanting to announce mainstream products too long before launch but I'd argue this is quiet a different case. The PS4 Pro was still a very budget-conscious device with a $399 price tag, arguably they were testing the waters of the midgen concept with a safer entry. It'll likely be a much more premium device relative to the PS4 Pro, with I expect a $599 price.. Many folks will have to get their wallets ready.

This time a precedent has been set (not to mention plenty of rumour and speculation), leading to anticipation. Most people who want a Pro will either be waiting it out and skipping the base system or already have (or have had) the base system and will be upgrading upon its release. I don't think announcing a Pro now would make much difference to their base system sales.

Sony alluded to PS4 Pro 6mths before it launched and officially announced it 9wks before launch.

Rumours point to September this time instead of November; which would make more sense as the Slim has already launched and this gen is likely looking to be 8yrs long and we're already looking at a Pro launch this gen ~1yr later than the Pro launch last gen..

Again, given that its official announcement is unlikely to put much of a dent in the base system sales this time around, I'd think combining the "allusion", the general announce and tech side into one event earlier on would make more sense, especially before GDC given things will likely start getting leaky. The bulk of the target audiences for the PS5 Pro who will actually be paying attention at this point will be more technically-oriented too.

The specs should effectively be nailed down at this point outside minor clock differences. So, unless there's no tangible software stuff to show, it'd make sense to get out ahead of leaks from production/manufacture, studios with devkits and GDC.

I'd think a full tech talk with demos, near-full specs and Cerny & Co.'s methodology behind the configuration; and a logo in the week before GDC would be great.

Then a PS5 Pro-focused showcase in late July with the hardware design, price, release date and full spec/config. I'd also make every effort to get R* to have GTAVI running just a few shots on the system with -- if possible -- PS5 Pro being the only place to play at 60fps at launch. I'd also announce a $50-100 price drop for the base system here. Followed by a release in mid September.

I'd also make sure to get all first party stuff updated and with tangible differences, (let's be honest, the quantity isn't massive). I'd launch with a Ratchet N' Clank bundle, a Spider-Man 2 bundle, a Star Wars: Outlaws Bundled & a Helldivers II + 3mth PS Plus bundle; all with showcase upgrades.

Then announced right before their respective launches in 2025, a GTAVI bundle and a Death Stranding 2 bundle.

Taking all variables into account, I genuinely wouldn't be surprised by Sony at least soft-announcing or talking about their midgen system any time now. The only caveat to this would be the layoffs, whatever the topic of any publicity occurring in the short term, they may just wanna stay out of the limelight altogether for the coming weeks while things settle.
It could even be 699 at a maximum

I kinda wish Sony would just do a soft reveal / talk with Cerny akin to the PS4 Pro event or the Road To PS5, sooner rather than later, perhaps in the week before GDC.

I understand not wanting to announce mainstream products too long before launch but I'd argue this is quiet a different case. The PS4 Pro was still a very budget-conscious device with a $399 price tag, arguably they were testing the waters of the midgen concept with a safer entry. It'll likely be a much more premium device relative to the PS4 Pro, with I expect a $599 price.. Many folks will have to get their wallets ready.

This time a precedent has been set (not to mention plenty of rumour and speculation), leading to anticipation. Most people who want a Pro will either be waiting it out and skipping the base system or already have (or have had) the base system and will be upgrading upon its release. I don't think announcing a Pro now would make much difference to their base system sales.

Sony alluded to PS4 Pro 6mths before it launched and officially announced it 9wks before launch.

Rumours point to September this time instead of November; which would make more sense as the Slim has already launched and this gen is likely looking to be 8yrs long and we're already looking at a Pro launch this gen ~1yr later than the Pro launch last gen..

Again, given that its official announcement is unlikely to put much of a dent in the base system sales this time around, I'd think combining the "allusion", the general announce and tech side into one event earlier on would make more sense, especially before GDC given things will likely start getting leaky. The bulk of the target audiences for the PS5 Pro who will actually be paying attention at this point will be more technically-oriented too.

The specs should effectively be nailed down at this point outside minor clock differences. So, unless there's no tangible software stuff to show, it'd make sense to get out ahead of leaks from production/manufacture, studios with devkits and GDC.

I'd think a full tech talk with demos, near-full specs and Cerny & Co.'s methodology behind the configuration; and a logo in the week before GDC would be great.

Then a PS5 Pro-focused showcase in late July with the hardware design, price, release date and full spec/config. I'd also make every effort to get R* to have GTAVI running just a few shots on the system with -- if possible -- PS5 Pro being the only place to play at 60fps at launch. I'd also announce a $50-100 price drop for the base system here. Followed by a release in mid September.

I'd also make sure to get all first party stuff updated and with tangible differences, (let's be honest, the quantity isn't massive). I'd launch with a Ratchet N' Clank bundle, a Spider-Man 2 bundle, a Star Wars: Outlaws Bundled & a Helldivers II + 3mth PS Plus bundle; all with showcase upgrades.

Then announced right before their respective launches in 2025, a GTAVI bundle and a Death Stranding 2 bundle.

Taking all variables into account, I genuinely wouldn't be surprised by Sony at least soft-announcing or talking about their midgen system any time now. The only caveat to this would be the layoffs, whatever the topic of any publicity occurring in the short term, they may just wanna stay out of the limelight altogether for the coming weeks while things settle.
Make the consoles special edition please would entice even more to upgrade to the pro

Everytime this thread gets bumped. Every. Cocksucking. Time.

feel fridge GIF
feel fridge GIF

Last edited:
Don’t believe the zen 2 rumors right now
Most games have a 60fps mode with low or very low resolution currently. It means most games are heavily GPU limited and not CPU limited like in previous generation. We have some devs (Insomniac) saying they were far from having pushed those CPUs whilst Battlefield devs were saying they were already pushing the Jaguars to the max for a launch game (BF4).

Jaguar was a disappointment on the previous mid-gen consoles, but here it's different. Current 60fps/120fps games will still run at 60fps/120fps (probably more stable fps with overclock), albeit potentially with much improved graphics.

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

until what?

not sure what the reference is but for history:

PS4 Pro Announcement Sept 7 2016
PS4 Pro Release Nov 11 2016

we obv had leaks good deal before though
No no meaning "dev kits in 3rd party hands" has been 4 months.

Normally that would cause a leak that week. Not saying it's not real... But Sony may have ask have kidnapped 1st born children as collateral.

Last edited:
Something I've been worried about is with Sony's recent statements about. Of being content with their financials, will they pull the plug on a PS5 Pro if it's not in the production stage?

I suppose it depends on how far along things are. Doesn't bode well exactly though does it.

I really want this thing though...I don't care what the reason is, whether it's lack of ambition or that the current consoles are too weak, this generation has been very disappointing from a graphics standpoint. Remember how we all thought that by 2023 and especially by '24 that games would be looking amazing? Yeah, that has NOT happened by a long shot.

We're out of the cross gen phase too and we're still seeing no "leaps". In fact, even from the biggest dev/pubs this industry has putting out disappointment after disappointment like FF7 Rebirth. Alan Wake 2 (on console), Cyberpunk 2077 (on console), Spiderman 2, Lords of the Fallen (on console) Forza Motorsport. Etc etc. The console versions are WAY below the PC and stuff like Spiderman 2/Ragnarok/Last of Us 1 Remake should look way better than what we got! You know it's a matter of the consoles struggling too because we always have to choose performance mode if we want 60 fps, but the sacrifices are always massive with low resolution and poor image quality/scales back settings across the board.

Consoles are DEF GPU limited and bandwidth starved.

Celcius

°Temp. member
How accurate is the leaker in the OP?
He said Sony expected the specs to leak in December but it’s now March… wouldn’t a blurry picture or a small slip of some kind have happened by now?

But then again no one has leaked the Switch 2 dev kit either…

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
How accurate is the leaker in the OP?
He said Sony expected the specs to leak in December but it’s now March… wouldn’t a blurry picture or a small slip of some kind have happened by now?

But then again no one has leaked the Switch 2 dev kit either…
All joking aside Tom is spot on with PS hardware, he has leaked a lot of accurate stuff especially on the hardware side.

That said it’s strange how quiet things are and I don’t mean in open leaks

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If pro comes out and all it does is slightly improved some visuals and RT, doesn’t seem worth it unless someone is buying a ps5 for the first time doesn’t want to wait for ps6. But then again if the changes aren’t big it might be better to just save a couple hundred bucks and get a ps5 og.

Last gen the mid gen upgrades by Ms and Sony were different. You could get 4K or pretty close to it, better visuals and frames of course, but also bc boosts and 4K optical drive. It seemed like a bigger boost.

Last edited:
If pro comes out and all it does is slightly improved some visuals and RT, doesn’t seem worth it unless someone is buying a ps5 for the first time doesn’t want to wait for ps6. But then again if the changes aren’t big it might be better to just save a couple hundred bucks and get a ps5 og.

Last gen the mid gen upgrades by Ms and Sony were different. You could get 4K or pretty close to it, better visuals and frames of course, but also bc boosts and 4K optical drive. It seemed like a bigger boost.

Many PS5 games have unlocked modes that would benefit from a simple boost mode.

Mr.Phoenix

It's March and no Pro specs have leaked

Either security around the Pro devkits is tighter than at Fort Knox or maybe there really isn't a Pro this gen
GAF it forth. Make a detailed thread talking about how you think the PS5pro is fake and not coming. And just like that there would be a leak or even an official announcement of it that day or the following day.

Happens every time... go on... do it.

GAF it forth. Make a detailed thread talking about how you think the PS5pro is fake and not coming. And just like that there would be a leak or even an official announcement of it that day or the following day.

Happens every time... go on... do it.
I'm too busy playing video games, you do it since it was your idea

Perrott

Many PS5 games have unlocked modes that would benefit from a simple boost mode.
Absolutely, and here are some examples of the improvements PS5 Pro would bring to specific graphics modes across first-party titles that'd benefit from Boost Mode's extra power due to the presence of dynamic resolution scaling as well as unlocked or unstable framerates.

TITLE​
PLAYSTATION 5​
PLAYSTATION 5 PRO
(Boost Mode)​
Days Gone
Checkerboard 4K & 50-60FPS
Checkerboard 4K & 60FPS
Death Stranding Director's Cut
Native 4K & 45-60FPS
(Quality)
Native 4K & 60FPS
(Quality)
God of War: Ragnarök
Dynamic 4K & 40FPS + Better Visuals
(Quality, 120hz Display)
Dynamic 4K & 60FPS

(Performance)
Native 4K & 40FPS + Better Visuals
(Quality, 120hz Display)
Native 4K & 60FPS

(Performance)
Gran Turismo 7
Native 4K & 50-60FPS
(Quality)
Native 4K & 60FPS
(Quality)
Helldivers II
1728p & 25-30FPS
(Quality)
1080p & 50-60FPS
(Performance)
1728p & 30FPS
(Quality)
1080p & 60FPS
(Performance)
Horizon: Forbidden West
Dynamic 4K & 30FPS
(Quality)
Native 4K & 30FPS
(Quality)
Marvel's Spider-Man 2
Dynamic 4K & 30FPS + Better RT & Visuals
(Quality)
Dynamic 4K & 40-60FPS + Better RT & Visuals
(Quality Unlocked, 120hz VRR Display)
Dynamic 1440p & 60FPS +
RT
(Performance)
Native 4K & 30FPS + Better RT & Visuals
(Quality)
Native 4K & 60FPS + Better RT & Visuals
Native 1440p & 60FPS +
RT
(Performance)
Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered
Dynamic 4K & 30FPS + Better RT
(Quality)
Dynamic 4K & 40FPS + Better RT
(Quality, 120hz Display)
Dynamic Near-4K & 60FPS

(Performance)
Dynamic 1440p & 60FPS + RT
(Performance RT)
Native 4K & 30FPS + Better RT
(Quality)
Native 4K & 40FPS + Better RT
(Quality, 120hz Display)
Native Near-4K & 60FPS

(Performance)
Native 1440p & 60FPS + RT
(Performance RT)
Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales
Dynamic 4K & 30FPS + Better RT
(Quality)
(Quality, 120hz Display)
Dynamic Near-4K & 60FPS

(Performance)
(Performance RT)
Native 4K & 30FPS + Better RT
(Quality)
(Quality, 120hz Display)
Native Near-4K & 60FPS

(Performance)
(Performance RT)
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
Dynamic 4K & 30FPS + Better RT & Visuals
(Quality)
(Quality, 120hz Display)
Dynamic 1800p & 60FPS

(Performance)
(Performance RT)
Native 4K & 30FPS + Better RT & Visuals
(Quality)
(Quality, 120hz Display)
Native 1800p & 60FPS

(Performance)
(Performance RT)
Returnal
Checkerboard 4K & 50-60FPS
Checkerboard 4K & 60FPS
Sackboy: A Big Adventure
Dynamic 1620p & 60FPS
Native 1620p & 60FPS
The Last Of Us Part I
Native 4K & 25-30FPS
(Quality)
Native 4K & 25-40FPS
(Quality, 120hz Display)
Native 1440p & 55-60FPS

(Performance)
Native 4K & 30FPS
(Quality)
Native 4K & 40FPS
(Quality, 120hz Display)
Native 1440p & 60FPS

(Performance)
The Last Of Us Part II Remastered
Native 4K & 40-60FPS
Native 4K & 60FPS
The Nioh Collection
Dynamic 4K & 55-60FPS
(Quality)
Native 4K & 60FPS
(Quality)
Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection
Native 4K & 35-60FPS
Native 4K & 60FPS

Now extrapolate this to third-party titles as well.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

These are the only confirm things about the PS5 Pro.
kgWdZ8C.jpg

Everything else imo are just rumors.
Why are you certain about that source and dismissive of all others? I'm sceptical about the 8k mentioned being a reality, beyond something for marketing.

Loxus

Why are you certain about that source and dismissive of all others? I'm sceptical about the 8k mentioned being a reality, beyond something for marketing.
Tom Henderson is much more credible than anyone on Twitter and has a very good track record to prove it.

His quote 8K “performance modesays a lot about the Pro's specs. Is a 4+GHz Zen2 CPU enough to cut it, is the real question.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Tom Henderson is much more credible than anyone on Twitter and has a very good track record to prove it.

His quote 8K “performance modesays a lot about the Pro's specs. Is a 4+GHz Zen2 CPU enough to cut it, is the real question.
I respect Tom Henderson's insight too. But my understanding was that he also anticipated 3 months ago, based on PS's own internal view. That leaks from other parties would be happening within that same month. Yet here we are...

Loxus

I respect Tom Henderson's insight too. But my understanding was that he also anticipated 3 months ago, based on PS's own internal view. That leaks from other parties would be happening within that same month. Yet here we are...
You should blame Sony for that.
Sony doesn't even announce games like they use to.

Top Bottom