• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 reportedly won’t have its own Xbox Smart Delivery alternative

Azurro

Banned
The console wars are indeed serious business. Every single silly marketing buzzword must be defended and elevated to make the puny rival consoles realize their inadequacy.

Peasant, look at Smart Delivery, and despair.

TLDR: it's a buzzword for cross gen support. Nice MS marketing.

sainraja

It’s called Cross Buy, they have had it since the PS3 and always left it up to them.

Just like Microsoft is leaving it up to the third parties as well. You can’t force them, but I guess you can financially assist them through marketing deals and the like.

I wish Sony had the foresight to advertise that feature last gen as Microsoft has been this generation. The main difference between how Sony did it last gen to how Microsoft is doing it this generation is cross save. I think that is the only thing we didn't have with cross buy on the PS4.

Doesn't Smart Delivery support retail games as well though.

I know cross buy allows you to have access to multiple versions of a digital game. In fact I was happy to find out my copy of Journey from PS3 was cross buy with PS4 version. Same with some SNK Vita games being cross buy on PS4.

The thing is I've never seen a cross buy retail gane. Pop in a PS3 disk inside a PS4 to be able to have access to a PS4 version. Do you have any examples of this is you are implying Cross Buy is the same as Smart Delivery which has this feature.

There weren't many retail games on the PS3 that were Sony first-party that were also released on the PS4. I think there was a technology factor there (e.g. The Last of Us, it was redone for the PS4.) Sony wasn't stopping third party publishers from providing cross buy - I think they (the third party publishers) just didn't outside of offer an upgrade option for a limited time. Microsoft is also leaving that to the developer though.

But cross buy is the EXACT same thing as Smart Delivery. When a PS3 game was made available on the PS4, we were not downloading the PS3 version of that game, it was the PS4 version. The only thing we are not sure of right now, is if Sony will continue cross buy or not.

Last edited:

ManaByte

This is confirmed where?

Lastly, some new and existing Xbox One titles will be Optimizing their games after the Xbox Series X launches. For example, if you buy Cyberpunk 2077 when it launches on September 17, you’ll be set to explore Night City on Xbox One. If you pick up Xbox Series X at launch this holiday, you can play it there too in compatibility mode picking up exactly where you left off. Then, when CD PROJEKT RED delivers an Xbox Series X Optimized version of Cyberpunk 2077, you’ll automatically get upgraded once it’s available at no additional cost.

sainraja

My goodness.

Just like the PS4 to the PS4Pro as well. "Mid Gen Refresh" profiles.

Like I said, you are falling for a marketing term for what is essentially what they have always been doing. To make it easier to understand, just look at the XSX as a super beastly refresh in the same ecosystem, same for the PS5 for the "cross gen" games.

Lol exactly.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It's unlikely that a third party would do Smart Delivery on XSX and not do cross buy on PS5.

But I like the sound of MS's implementation of it from a software/SDK standpoint. Sounds like as a pub you just earmark your 2 SKUS as being 1 or something and the system takes care of the rest. Which yes is from the mid-gen refresh concept as well; but extending it into the next generation is cool.

Last edited:

ManaByte

It's unlikely that a third party would do Smart Delivery on XSX and not do cross buy on PS5.

But I like the sound of MS's implementation of it from a software/SDK standpoint. Sounds like as a pub you just earmark your 2 SKUS as being 1 or something and the system takes care of the rest. Which yes is from the mid-gen refresh concept as well; but extending it into the next generation is cool.

Again Cyberpunk 2077 is confirmed for smart delivery on XSX. No word on a PS5 upgrade.

SaucyJack

Exactly what I've been saying.

"Upgraded" to the "Series X optimised version" = a patch.

If a developer is going to the effort of delivering a patch to one platform they'll certainly do it for both. Or like EA they won't do it at all.

This is much ado about nothing.

IntentionalPun

Again Cyberpunk 2077 is confirmed for smart delivery on XSX. No word on a PS5 upgrade.
I'm aware; I think it's unlikely they won't do cross buy on PS5.

Same with Ubisoft with their AC game coming out.

MS just has the marketing push to promote smart delivery; I seriously doubt these big pubs are going to be so generous on XBox and then ignore PlayStation.

ManaByte

Exactly what I've been saying.

"Upgraded" to the "Series X optimised version" = a patch.

If a developer is going to the effort of delivering a patch to one platform they'll certainly do it for both. Or like EA they won't do it at all.

This is much ado about nothing.

It's not a patch. That's just a convenient way to dismiss this without understanding what it is. The system determines what hardware you're running, and downloads that version of the software for it.

Ok and we didn't hear anything yet. That's all that means. That games launch on next gen is still a while away. It dosent confirm that it won't be on Ps5 enhanced for free. COD Ghosts on PS3/PS4 had a free cross buy option upon release. Let's actually wait and see. We know MS has shouted out everything from the mountaintops since the beginning of this year. That dosent mean everything is exclusive to the platform.

sainraja

Cross buy was targeted for vita owners above anything else since people werent buying vita games they had to be bundled in digitally for certain games. Most of the games sony did cross-buy for were for indie games heres the giant bomb list of cross buy games that were available for the ps3,vita and ps4. MS offering crossbuy for cyberpunk is leagues better then what sony offered by a mile if I wanted to play FFX on the ps4,ps3 and vita I would have to buy each version separately. FF7 OG on ps3/vita is the same thing along with MGS 1,2,3 and PW and almost every RE 1-6 + spin offs.

While that is true, you also have to consider the difference in technology between the PS3 & PS4. They may not have offered that but who is to say they wouldn't have, if they could have? But yes, Microsoft does deserve credit for pushing this as much as they are. Hopefully it will become the norm.

IntentionalPun

Ok and we didn't hear anything yet. That's all that means. That games launch on next gen is still a while away. It dosent confirm that it won't be on Ps5 enhanced for free. COD Ghosts on PS3/PS4 had a free cross buy option upon release. Let's actually wait and see. We know MS has shouted out everything from the mountaintops since the beginning of this year. That dosent mean everything is exclusive to the platform.
Nah games like COD were $10 to upgrade from PS3 to PS4 (or 360 to XBO.)

And that was only digital.

Cross buy existed in previous gens; it's just never been as easy as MS is making it particularly for disk based purchases (extending their system for XBO to XBX upgrades) and never as heavily promoted for big 3rd party games for free.

Sony fanboys sure are having a fit over it though.

Last edited:

SaucyJack

It's not a patch. That's just a convenient way to dismiss this without understanding what it is. The system determines what hardware you're running, and downloads that version of the software for it.

Wow, that is just so, like, revolutionary. :messenger_neutral:

ZywyPL

Banned
So in the end of the day I'm left asking how much of a differentiator is "Smart Delivery" really? Sure it sounds like an easy way of managing your cross-gen library, but I'm not convinced it's really offering anything substantially more than PS5's BC when it comes to current gen games.

Imagine CoD with all of its tens of GB patches. AND those patches again with PS5-quality assets on top of it. Especially on a drive that leaves you ~750GB to use. There's you answer.

With the size of current-gen titles that can reach a whopping 100-150GB, supposedly because of duplicated date, you ideally DON't want to store those low-quality, duplicated PS4 data on next-gen system, I mean, why would you, if they will never be used anyway?

While Smart Delivery from what I understand is a system/feature, that will install only the assets the particular console will actually use, so no XB1 assets on XBX, and vice versa. We actually got a glimpse how it works with 1S and 1X, where the 1S versions didn't contain 4K assets, saving HDD space.

To me it seems that Sony wants to completely cut away from current generation ASAP, but they cannot make themselves look like assholes because of MS ongoing support for current-gen during XB1->XBX transition and the following year or so, so they are like "yeah, it's possible, but it's up to the devs/publishers", cutting out any responsibility if the consumers get screwed, it will be "it was them, not us". I'm actually curious now it their own games will receive any additional PS5 treatment.

IntentionalPun

Smart Delivery and BC aren't really the same thing.

Smart Delivery would be for XBX native games; akin to PS5 native mode. If a game is written for PS5 native mode, it isn't BC... it's a PS5 game.

BC on XSX will utilize the virtualization layer to inject improvements in games, not create a compiled version of said game for the XSX processor / GPU (well, all still virtualized, but it's a different target platform.) Smart Delivery will automatically download the XSX native version of a game.

We don't know Sony's BC patching details; we don't know if patched games can utilize native mode or if it's only for legacy modes on PS5.. if they can.. then well.. PS5 basically gets smart delivery and this quote/translation from Sony isn't accurate.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Imagine CoD with all of its tens of GB patches. AND those patches again with PS5-quality assets on top of it. Especially on a drive that leaves you ~750GB to use. There's you answer.

With the size of current-gen titles that can reach a whopping 100-150GB, supposedly because of duplicated date, you ideally DON't want to store those low-quality, duplicated PS4 data on next-gen system, I mean, why would you, if they will never be used anyway?

While Smart Delivery from what I understand is a system/feature, that will install only the assets the particular console will actually use, so no XB1 assets on XBX, and vice versa. We actually got a glimpse how it works with 1S and 1X, where the 1S versions didn't contain 4K assets, saving HDD space.

To me it seems that Sony wants to completely cut away from current generation ASAP, but they cannot make themselves look like assholes because of MS ongoing support for current-gen during XB1->XBX transition and the following year or so, so they are like "yeah, it's possible, but it's up to the devs/publishers", cutting out any responsibility if the consumers get screwed, it will be "it was them, not us". I'm actually curious now it their own games will receive any additional PS5 treatment.

It's almost as if Sony did not talk about 'piecemeal installs' on several occasions for this very situation, not just at the GDC talk, but in the Wired articles before this. They also talked about duplicate assets and the like that are on current gen mechanical's that add all that bloat, which can be eliminated/culled by the SDK automatically doing the work for the devs.

You are making grandeur about what both will be doing. Stop acting like people are are stupid and have not been following everything up to this point.

Last edited:
Nah games like COD were $10 to upgrade from PS3 to PS4 (or 360 to XBO.)

And that was only digital.

Cross buy existed in previous gens; it's just never been as easy as MS is making it particularly for disk based purchases (extending their system for XBO to XBX upgrades) and never as heavily promoted for big 3rd party games for free.

Sony fanboys sure are having a fit over it though.
Nah it was free upgrade for a short limited time..then they said fuck it lol. But I agree..the fanboys can cry all they want but Sony should step up if MS actually gets devs to start jumping on this en masse. We're just going to have to see.

IntentionalPun

You’re living in the power of the cloud of you think that will be the reality.
Huh? It's not like this is all that complicated for MS. It's a pretty basic system in the end.

It's marketing + a flag in their system that a game supports it and thus the DRM to unlock a game works on 2 systems instead of one pretty much.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Nah it was free upgrade for a short limited time..then they said fuck it lol. But I agree..the fanboys can cry all they want but Sony should step up if MS actually gets devs to start jumping on this en masse. We're just going to have to see.
Any evidence of that? The entire internet thinks it was $10.. from their original press release on the topic, to the articles about the deal ending a year later.. tried searching for it for free and all you get back are the $10 articles:

So true. I can only congratulate MS on this. They are working the crowd very well.

Let's be honest here, just like B/C, they are only working the people that were going to buy Xbox over PS no matter what. Any educated gamer knows Sony popularized this starting with PS3. I guess Xbox fanboys think Sony needs to throw a fancy Cross Buy on the box or game page on PSN for PS5 to have any chance. Boy, are they in for a rude awakening.

Really, they would praise MS for being the "first" to offer Play For Free (P4FTM ) online games, no Gold membership required! Or controllers with Internal ReserveTM, no more batteries needed!

Last edited:

ManaByte

cm osi

you all know that publisher can decline smart delivery too, right? it's not like microsoft is making it mandatory

SaucyJack

OK, that's an interesting different angle, focusing on the technicalities of the install, but I'm not convinced that's it's really a differentiator. Sony have already talked about exactly this, installs, patches, file sizes, etc. Cerny covered it in the Road to PS5.

I have to add, because it might not seem it, but I am very positive about this change for next gen. It's head and shoulder above current gen as an approach, it's just that I don't believe that there will ultimately be a meaningful real world difference between PS and XB on this,

ethomaz

Banned
That is no different from a patch.

And from what I understood the enhanced patch for Cyberpunk will come late after the launch of the game because CDPR still need to work on it.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
OK, that's an interesting different angle, focusing on the technicalities of the install, but I'm not convinced that's it's really a differentiator. Sony have already talked about exactly this, installs, patches, file sizes, etc. Cerny covered it in the Road to PS5.

I have to add, because it might not seem it, but I am very positive about this change for next gen. It's head and shoulder above current gen as an approach, it's just that I don't believe that there will ultimately be a meaningful real world difference between PS and XB on this,

IMO it would be a very welcome change if current-gen games installed on PS5/XBX took significantly less space due to lack of duplicated assets, that alone would be amazing, but can it really be done? PC has SSDs since last decade or so, but the games still don't take that into any consideration, we can choose whether we want to download 32 or 64-bit apps, but not whether we want HDD or SSD versions. Maybe, hopefully, the upcoming consoles will change that.

IntentionalPun

That is no different from a patch.

And from what I understood the enhanced patch for Cyberpunk will come late after the launch of the game because CDPR still need to work on it.
It's the next gen version of the game; that's not a patch.

Not that a "patch" is even insulting as you are intending; you are just wrong. A game can be "patched" and be entirely different pre-patch or a game can have a different compiled version and be roughly the same.

How different the next-gen version of a cross-gen game is, will depend on the developer.

Not that a "patch" is even insulting as you are intending; you are just wrong. A game can be "patched" and be entirely different pre-patch or a game can have a different compiled version and be roughly the same.

How different the next-gen version of a cross-gen game is, will depend on the developer.

It's a patch. This will become evident when you're playing an Xbox One game on your Xbox Series X, and then when "Smart Delivery" comes, you're going to download an update and not a new game

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

It's a patch. This will become evident when you're playing an Xbox One game on your Xbox Series X, and then when "Smart Delivery" comes, you're going to download an update and not a new game
It's likely to be an EXE compiled to a different target platform. That's not a patch.

And did you read my post? Whether it's a patch or a different version has nothing to do with how different the games are going to be. You can "patch" a game to be entirely different than it was pre-patch or compile a different version of a game and have it be the same.

If you really think companies like CDPR aren't putting any effort into their PS5/XSX versions of their games they likely will be selling DLC on for years to come I don't know what to tell you. They are a dev that have been taking advantage of high end GPUs/CPUs for years on PC... their next-gen version of their game is likely to be a graphics showpiece with ray tracing and all the bells and whistles.

Last edited:
It's likely to be an EXE compiled to a different target platform. That's not a patch.

And did you read my post? Whether it's a patch or a different version has nothing to do with how different the games are going to be. You can "patch" a game to be entirely different than it was pre-patch or compile a different version of a game and have it be the same.

If you really think companies like CDPR aren't putting any effort into their PS5/XSX versions of their games they likely will be selling DLC on for years to come I don't know what to tell you. They are a dev that have been taking advantage of high end GPUs/CPUs for years on PC... their next-gen version of their game is likely to be a graphics showpiece with ray tracing and all the bells and whistles.

So how is that any different to Xbox One to X patches and PS4 to Pro patches then?

Do you mean seperate EXE? it's not going to be a separate EXE

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

So how is that any different to Xbox One to X patches and PS4 to Pro patches then?

Do you mean seperate EXE? it's not going to be a separate EXE
Those aren't really patches either from a technical standpoint. They actually do in fact download a totally different targeted EXE because there are instruction sets not supported on the XBO.

Those aren't really patches either from a technical standpoint. They actually do in fact download a totally different targeted EXE because there are instruction sets not supported on the XBO.

They are basically patches from a technical standpoint

No they won't. You don't even need a seperate EXE when swapping from Vulkan to DX12 on PC, so why would you need one in this instance?

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

That is false. You could upgrade ($10) blu ray version too. You downloaded the full PS4 game and the disk was used like check validation.
Ah you are right; after a while it was digital only as they stopped including the codes in the box but the upgrade program continued digitally (I just googled.)

IntentionalPun

They are basically patches from a technical standpoint

No they won't. You don't even need a seperate EXE when swapping from Vulkan to DX12 on PC, so why would you need one in this instance?
I mistook a screenshot earlier in the thread for being for a compiled EXE but looks like it was an asset package. Although that is also quite possibly a different exe, it doesn't explicitly state that.

Either way there's little chance it's a "patch"; they aren't building one version and then a patch.. they'd be working off 2 different codebases, or at best a forked codebase.

None of this means anything either way.. as a patch can be extensive.. and 2 different versions can be barley different.. so lets end the pointless side discussion lol

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned

There is no next-gen version at launch lol

Top Bottom