• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break |OT| We'll Be Right Back After This Commercial Break

Zedox

Wow. So I'm going through the game (on act 5) with my different choices and yea, there are some bigger things in the show that are just totally different but for the most part the same. I was like, whoa, I mean I know there was some mystery behind <insert character> but using these choices really just brings it to light even more so. Glad I'm wrapping it up (twss). I still gotta go back and find some objects I missed. I noticed that I missed a ripple and because of that I think I can't find another object in another part that is apart of that ripple (if you look at the lines in the timeline)

ElRenoRaven

fuuuuu

So, big spoiler of course, but just bought the CE guide which has a ton of pages dedicated to design process, lots of artwork etc.

There is a section of things that didnt make the final game

Apparently
They original planned to have a sequence set in the End Of Time but had to cut it due to time

-QUOTE We would have seen the world in its final frozen instant, a chaotic and confusing mess of broken timelines which would have been haunted by the shifters. - END QUOTE

Man this is what I missed most in the game. Would have been cool.

Also, since they originally did plan to show shifters in that sequence, they have the concept art of what they would look like.

Son of a shifter!!! That would have been freaking awesome as hell. Hopefully the game can get some DLC and we can see that moment still.

My PC version just finished downloading. Has anyone moved from the Xbox One version to the PC version without losing their save data like Eurogamer said they did?

I'm half way through my second run and don't want to have to start over. But at the same time I'm curious about how the PC version looks/runs.

Daingurse

Apparently
They original planned to have a sequence set in the End Of Time but had to cut it due to time

-QUOTE We would have seen the world in its final frozen instant, a chaotic and confusing mess of broken timelines which would have been haunted by the shifters. - END QUOTE

Also, since they originally did plan to show shifters in that sequence, they have the concept art of what they would look like.

Well fuck, that would have been awesome.

Trup1aya

Don't worry, we'll see that in a teaser trailer when Sam Lake takes to the stage at E3 to announce Alan Break, a co-op time travelling horror adventure in which a world famous novelist teams up with a gun toting traveller with mysterious powers in order to save the world.

That sounds about as good as the "time knife" synopsis
which is awesome

Chitown B

question on replaying junctions

On Junction 4 - Surrender I know where the document is that I missed and I just want to get it and then quit out. But when I try to replay it it says it'll wipe all my future progress. Is that just if I finish it and choose a different choice?

icespide

Banned
so this game seems pretty buggy when using suspend resume. so annoying. I guess I'll be sure to quit the game before shutting down now

BONKERS

8 hours meant none of the collectibles were read. You lose a lot of the story from skipping them, IMO.

Which begs the question if they are part of the story, then why are they optional?
It's a terrible game mechanic to break the immersion of the story and game to force them to get all the collectibles if they want all of the story information.
That's right out of Kojima's book with PW and MGSV. Ick

If you have important story information that adds any kind of depth, it should not be optional. It should be mandatory but skippable (Like Codec calls in earlier MGS games)

blakep267

Man, that ending boss battle is probably one of the worst I've ever played. It's almost enough to make me drop my final score of the game game a point or 2. That was just horrible

Overall I thought it was a pretty fun little experience. But my final conclusion is that I'd much rather just watch a Quantum Break tv show. The powers and gunplay were fun but only up to a certain extent. I mainly just finished it so I could see what happened next. I really liked the characters, Hatch, Beth and Liam mainly.

- great story/ characters
- ok gameplay that gets dull towards the end
- visuals are ok. The soft look can be a bit of a turnoff
- i liked the episodes and collectibles

7.5/10

So I guess the metacritc is about right

Which begs the question if they are part of the story, then why are they optional?
It's a terrible game mechanic to break the immersion of the story and game to force them to get all the collectibles if they want all of the story information.

If you have important story information that adds any kind of depth, it should not be optional. It should be mandatory but skippable (Like Codec calls in earlier MGS games)

Yup, this right here

My PC version just finished downloading. Has anyone moved from the Xbox One version to the PC version without losing their save data like Eurogamer said they did?

I'm half way through my second run and don't want to have to start over. But at the same time I'm curious about how the PC version looks/runs.

I'd wait for a patch unless your PC is a monster rig.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-what-went-wrong-with-quantum-break-pc

This is a game that must be installed on a solid state drive. We tested Quantum Break on a fast 7200rpm HGST mechanical drive as well as a Samsung 850 EVO SSD and found that performance simply wasn't acceptable on the former when transitioning between areas. Huge stutters and skips appear, leading to a very jerky experience at select points. This isn't necessarily an issue with the port - though Xbox One clearly copes better with far less capable storage - but to our mind, an SSD is an essential requirement you must bear in mind before purchasing.

60 frames per second isn't possible on a 60Hz monitor: The most serious problem with this port lies in its performance limitations - currently, we've determined that it simply isn't possible to reach frame-rates matching the refresh rate of the monitor in use. The maximum frame-rate seems to be limited to 5/6th of the refresh rate - this means, when using a 60Hz monitor, the game simply cannot go beyond 50 frames per second. We even tried it with a Core i7 system paired with Titan X running at 720p on the lowest settings, but 50fps was still the limit - and the same thing applies to AMD GPUs too.

So at this point, we've established that Quantum Break has made a poor first showing, but how does it stack up against the Xbox One version? Truth be told, even with the enhancements, the graphical improvements are limited. It's difficult to appreciate some higher precision features in the face of the other issues. As it stands, we've found that it's impossible to experience the game at a smooth 30 or 60fps on the PC. Frame-pacing issues and the inability to reach your display's refresh rate are a genuine issue for the PC version and prevent the game from ever feeling as smooth as the Xbox One version. For users with a choice between the two, we recommended avoiding the PC version until it is fixed, and recommend playing on Xbox One instead if that option is available.

Trup1aya

I think QB forms a coherent story even if you don't collect any of the collectables. Reading the emails enhances the experience by providing back story. but since its relegated to backstory, there's no reason it shouldn't be optional.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
At the final boss and... I wasn't really digging the game to begin with but this is just terrible

TheKeyPit

Banned
Also, as a fun trick, time stop doesn't freeze Strikers and other chronon harness packing enemies, and it dissipates when you hit them, BUT, you have just enough time before it dissipates to fires shots and still get the stack bonus. Your window is just much smaller. :)

Also, time stopping an explosion as it happens never gets old so you can watch the debris fly in slow motion.

Yes, it's cool to find out all the little tricks while playing it just for fun.

Well, that was entertaining.

The plot is a bit messy, and I think I enjoyed the episodes more than the game itself, but it's a good distraction. The combat is fun, but not all that challenging, even on Hard - the time powers (especially things like time shield) make most combat encounters trivial. Maybe it's because of how much I'd heard the final boss was a pain, but focusing on not screwing up I managed to get it on my second try - dashing around and using the time shield liberally it's not too much of a big deal.

And I guess it's a decent length. I started playing around 8 hours ago, so I guess it's around 9 hours in length.

Well, I guess that was Quantum Break.

I'd like to know why, because everything is perfectly written, everything makes sense and it's a good time travel story.

Granjinha

My friend got the PC code and gave it to me. Almost done downloading it, can't wait. Even if it's the shitty version, it's a Remedy game. <3

Hm, the achievements don't seem to be working for me on the PC version. I'm trying an alternate choice run,
I did PR on Xbox, so I'm trying Hardline on PC. From what I remember, the achievement popped immediately after I pressed R1. It's not happening on PC.

Don't worry, we'll see that in a teaser trailer when Sam Lake takes to the stage at E3 to announce Alan Break, a co-op time travelling horror adventure in which a world famous novelist teams up with a gun toting traveller with mysterious powers in order to save the world.

YAAASSS! Lol

Alienous

Just curious, what did you find 'messy' about the plot? I've heard that comment several times, but I've been obsessing over the plot lately, and can't find a single loop hole... It's one of the cleanest time travel stories I've ever consumed.

I don't think I mean in the typical time-travel way. Perhaps you really have to dig into the narrative objects (most of which I felt didn't respect the fact that I'm playing a game, compared to something like The Last of Us where messages are brisk, to the point and more sparsely placed).

I think I have a decent grasp of the overall story and it's... a lot of steps, and a lot of elements. More than are needed to tell a time travel story, I'd say. But, to their credit, it was completely comprehensible first playthrough, so that's impressive. And it has to be 10 hours long.

sertopico

fuuuuu

So, big spoiler of course, but just bought the CE guide which has a ton of pages dedicated to design process, lots of artwork etc.

There is a section of things that didnt make the final game

Apparently

Yeah, I had the feeling something was missing... For instance
you do realize Hatch is a shifter but you don't have the opportunity to face him, except for that very brief and not interactive moment. Besides it is not really clear what happened after the time fracture gets recomposed (also, are we sure it gets recomposed?). Serene gets into Jack's body, "possessing" him somehow? Or Jack has always been controlled by Hatch? He's like the Lutece brothers in Bioshock Infinite. After the closing credits, you also notice Jack got the power of foreseeing the future, just like Paul, so probably he will get sick exactly like him, having the illusion of controlling things which are "written" already. I think we'll get some DLC sooner or later.

Roufianos

Finished it yesterday. The final boss was dog shit but other than that I really enjoyed the game. The gameplay wasn't exactly amazing but it was something different and the story, locations and pacing were pretty darn great.

Time to trade it in though and get some money back.

Did anyone made this running on a mac book pro 2015? (With win10 of course)
It crashes after I press "play" from the main menu, it crashes loading the quantum break tittle animation.
The game warn me as soon as I open that I don't have enough vram (the mac has 1.5GB) and can affect gameplay.

Hawk269

Just finished the game on hard. 93% collectibles, 100% Story complete. Took me 26 hours, 24 minutes according to the Achievement screen. I did die A LOT in the game, so much that I took over the most deaths on the achievement leader board...I died 229 times. Ouch. 2nd place is at 128 times, out of 107 friends playing the game. I am not the greatest when it comes to shooters etc., but I was determined to beat it on hard.

I died a shit ton on the final boss fight, probably added a good 3 hours or so to my time due to that fight. I know some say it was pretty eash, others say it was challenging, but it was an obvious bitch for me. There was one other area where I died a lot and that was at the end of Act 4, Part 1, man those snipers were having their way with me.

Anyways, game was fantastic. Loved the ending and the entire Story. One of the best games I have played in a very long time. While I did only get 93% collectibles, I did read every piece of information I could find, stopped at every TV and Radio and watched/listened to things in the entirety. I also took a ton of screen shots and stopped to look around a lot. Graphics are top notch, some blurriness, but overall a great looking game. I usually take these type of games slow, so that probably added to my game time.

I also downloaded the W10 version and played through Act 1. Since I 100% all of Act 1 I pretty much coasted through it pretty quickly. I also switched to normal as well. One thing I have to say, is those that are only doing a 1 time playthrough are missing out in a lot of extra content in-game and in the T.V. show. I chose a different path this time and there was some significant changes in the show and in the game. While I am only in Act 2 now on the second playthrough, I can tell there will be some big changes based on my choices this time. Also for those playing for the first time/first play through, stop and take in all the emails, messages, tv shows, radio's etc. It really add's to the game a great deal. Some of the emails are pretty long, but the really round out the story and gives your more insight into the game and characters.

Lastly, on my 1st playthrough I can already tell that I tried to play it too much like a cover shooter, which probably lead to my high death count and a longer first playrthrough game time. As I started over, I feel so much more comfortable in the powers and using them appropriately.

Fantastic Game and easily one of the best I have played this gen. Looking forward to finishing a second playthrough over the next few days. Easily a 9 out 10 for me.

I don't think I mean in the typical time-travel way. Perhaps you really have to dig into the narrative objects (most of which I felt didn't respect the fact that I'm playing a game, compared to something like The Last of Us where messages are brisk, to the point and more sparsely placed).

I think I have a decent grasp of the overall story and it's... a lot of steps, and a lot of elements. More than are needed to tell a time travel story, I'd say. But, to their credit, it was completely comprehensible first playthrough, so that's impressive. And it has to be 10 hours long.

To be honest yeah you do have to read emails and stuff to really get a feel for everything that's going on. Remedy games have always been like this and I think they add another dimension to the game that just isn't there in something like TLoU, but I can see why it wouldn't work for some people. The story you get if you do engage with everything available is very, very cool though.

Just finished the game on hard. 93% collectibles, 100% Story complete. Took me 26 hours, 24 minutes according to the Achievement screen. I did die A LOT in the game, so much that I took over the most deaths on the achievement leader board...I died 229 times. Ouch. 2nd place is at 128 times, out of 107 friends playing the game. I am not the greatest when it comes to shooters etc., but I was determined to beat it on hard.

I died a shit ton on the final boss fight, probably added a good 3 hours or so to my time due to that fight. I know some say it was pretty eash, others say it was challenging, but it was an obvious bitch for me. There was one other area where I died a lot and that was at the end of Act 4, Part 1, man those snipers were having their way with me.

Anyways, game was fantastic. Loved the ending and the entire Story. One of the best games I have played in a very long time. While I did only get 93% collectibles, I did read every piece of information I could find, stopped at every TV and Radio and watched/listened to things in the entirety. I also took a ton of screen shots and stopped to look around a lot. Graphics are top notch, some blurriness, but overall a great looking game. I usually take these type of games slow, so that probably added to my game time.

I also downloaded the W10 version and played through Act 1. Since I 100% all of Act 1 I pretty much coasted through it pretty quickly. I also switched to normal as well. One thing I have to say, is those that are only doing a 1 time playthrough are missing out in a lot of extra content in-game and in the T.V. show. I chose a different path this time and there was some significant changes in the show and in the game. While I am only in Act 2 now on the second playthrough, I can tell there will be some big changes based on my choices this time. Also for those playing for the first time/first play through, stop and take in all the emails, messages, tv shows, radio's etc. It really add's to the game a great deal. Some of the emails are pretty long, but the really round out the story and gives your more insight into the game and characters.

Lastly, on my 1st playthrough I can already tell that I tried to play it too much like a cover shooter, which probably lead to my high death count and a longer first playrthrough game time. As I started over, I feel so much more comfortable in the powers and using them appropriately.

Fantastic Game and easily one of the best I have played this gen. Looking forward to finishing a second playthrough over the next few days. Easily a 9 out 10 for me.
This is pretty close to how I feel about it, although I didn't die nearly as many times. :p For the type of game it is, it's probably the best I've ever played. There's so much thought and detail put into everything, much of which you only realize is there on the second playthrough making opposite choices.

Tak3n

Banned
well fucking well, I picked this up last night on PC, £17 of Ebay for a code...

and holly fucking hell, I dont know what I was expecting, but not this, this game is bad ass....I am guessing because of DS3 it has kind of gone under the radar a bit..... but my god this is good

I got my code overnight, so I installed it after work, and played through the opening sections just now. I have an i7-6700k and GTX 970, and I set everything to High (defaulted to Medium). I only have a 1080p TV, mind you. From what little I played, the game seemed to run pretty well! I feel like calling the PC port a "mess" is a gross exaggeration, but I'm glad that Remedy are listening to the issues people have.

Now, how they handled the codes, on the other hand . . .

After finishing Quantum Break last night, the only way I can think to sum it up is...It is the highest quality average game that I have ever played. The production values and attention to detail throughout are top notch. The performances by the actors and actresses are tremendous. And there's some interesting visual flair throughout the game. But I just didn't find myself deeply enthralled or ever having lots of fun. I didn't have any "wow" moments. For a game with so much focus on the story, I didn't think the story was really anything special.

For a moment, I thought that we were going to get a strong twist with the
shifters, or perhaps a time shifting alien race
but it never happens. It's not that Quantum Break is by any means a bad game. It just feels like a greatly polished standard affair kind of game with some really expensive layers of paint.

Alienous

After finishing Quantum Break last night, the only way I can think to sum it up is...It is the highest quality average game that I have ever played. The production values and attention to detail throughout are top notch. The performances by the actors and actresses are tremendous. And there's some interesting visual flair throughout the game. But I just didn't find myself deeply enthralled or ever having lots of fun. I didn't have any "wow" moments. For a game with so much focus on the story, I didn't think the story was really anything special.

For a moment, I thought that we were going to get a strong twist with the
shifters, or perhaps a time shifting alien race
but it never happens. It's not that Quantum Break is by any means a bad game. It just feels like a greatly polished standard affair kind of game with some really expensive layers of paint.

That's a great way of describing it. It's a fantastic average game. I also can't say I was ever having that much fun with it. I wasn't bored or anything, but it didn't cross the threshold of 'this is awesome' once, for me.

For me its like a Quantic Dream game built on top of a really competent, but never excellent, shooter.

Trup1aya

Currently now replaying on hard and I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH just how much a second playthrough adds to EVERYTHING (^______^)

Yeah, second playthrough is much better. I found way more chronon sources, so I had stronger abilities.

My main Issue with the game is tying upgrades to hidden collectibles. I think that negatively affects the combat experience of people who don't want get into collection questions.

Currently now replaying on hard and I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH just how much a second playthrough adds to EVERYTHING (^______^)

Yeah, it feels really fresh the second time through. It's fun to piece everything together in a different way
(once you know all the true motives of the characters)

Almost finished with act 4. Loving this game, but as a hard of hearing gamer, kind of disappointed by the lack of subtitles for a lot of things. The videos, radio dialogues, and video diaries don't seem to be subtitled and it feels like I'm missing out on a lot of the backstory.

I read in the update that the lack of subtitles of certain parts of the game were a design choice. Is there any more info on this? It doesn't really make sense to me as subtitles could be turned off.

Top Bottom