• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break |OT| We'll Be Right Back After This Commercial Break

TheKeyPit

Banned
Almost finished with act 4. Loving this game, but as a hard of hearing gamer, kind of disappointed by the lack of subtitles for a lot of things. The videos, radio dialogues, and video diaries don't seem to be subtitled and it feels like I'm missing out on a lot of the backstory.

I read in the update that the lack of subtitles of certain parts of the game were a design choice. Is there any more info on this? It doesn't really make sense to me as subtitles could be turned off.

Problem is: Character talks while radio plays. Which subtitle should you display?

TheKeyPit

Banned
That could be fixed by allowing subtitles to be playable while viewing the item in the timeline. There is no character dialogue there.

Ah, okay. I haven't listened to anything from the timeline yet.

----------------

It's sad to see how many people are playing this game wrong. I just watched a video from a german youtuber and he sat there behind cover and shot all enemies without using any powers.

Edit: That's like playing Max Payne without bullet time.

Edit2: Not even using Time Shield to heal...

Zedox

Just finished the game on hard. 93% collectibles, 100% Story complete. Took me 26 hours, 24 minutes according to the Achievement screen. I did die A LOT in the game, so much that I took over the most deaths on the achievement leader board...I died 229 times. Ouch. 2nd place is at 128 times, out of 107 friends playing the game. I am not the greatest when it comes to shooters etc., but I was determined to beat it on hard.

I died a shit ton on the final boss fight, probably added a good 3 hours or so to my time due to that fight. I know some say it was pretty eash, others say it was challenging, but it was an obvious bitch for me. There was one other area where I died a lot and that was at the end of Act 4, Part 1, man those snipers were having their way with me.

Anyways, game was fantastic. Loved the ending and the entire Story. One of the best games I have played in a very long time. While I did only get 93% collectibles, I did read every piece of information I could find, stopped at every TV and Radio and watched/listened to things in the entirety. I also took a ton of screen shots and stopped to look around a lot. Graphics are top notch, some blurriness, but overall a great looking game. I usually take these type of games slow, so that probably added to my game time.

I also downloaded the W10 version and played through Act 1. Since I 100% all of Act 1 I pretty much coasted through it pretty quickly. I also switched to normal as well. One thing I have to say, is those that are only doing a 1 time playthrough are missing out in a lot of extra content in-game and in the T.V. show. I chose a different path this time and there was some significant changes in the show and in the game. While I am only in Act 2 now on the second playthrough, I can tell there will be some big changes based on my choices this time. Also for those playing for the first time/first play through, stop and take in all the emails, messages, tv shows, radio's etc. It really add's to the game a great deal. Some of the emails are pretty long, but the really round out the story and gives your more insight into the game and characters.

Lastly, on my 1st playthrough I can already tell that I tried to play it too much like a cover shooter, which probably lead to my high death count and a longer first playrthrough game time. As I started over, I feel so much more comfortable in the powers and using them appropriately.

Fantastic Game and easily one of the best I have played this gen. Looking forward to finishing a second playthrough over the next few days. Easily a 9 out 10 for me.

I think I died more my second playthrough because I was experimenting with the powers more than the first time where I felt I was trying to survive. Everything else you said...pretty much the same.

Currently now replaying on hard and I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH just how much a second playthrough adds to EVERYTHING (^______^)

I truly believe that the second playthrough is where you really feel like Jack Joyce. I killed people much easier the second go as I had more powerful time powers but also I felt comfortable knowing how to use them together. I only play the game on hard. It's funny as the second time around, it felt like there were less enemies than the first time just because I was so efficient with my killing.

Also the story and how it changes. Yessir. In my first go I felt that
Martin Hatch was more mysterious and only after the note that I learned he was a shifter. And was like, oh shit at the end of the game when he came back. My second run, I saw this dude "die" and come back in a couple moments. I was like, WHAT THE FUCK. My experience with how he is portrayed was totally different. Sofia survived and everything, whereas my first run, Wayne Brady (Paul) had to choke a bitch.
You would be missing out if you don't play the game a second time.

Theorry

Sofia survived and everything, whereas my first run, Wayne Brady (Paul) had to choke a bitch.
You would be missing out if you don't play the game a second time.

tumblr_inline_o5e4novJj31tbas1n_500.gif

RedFox85

Huge fan of Alan Wake here and I was really looking forward to playing this game. My only option for playing this is on the PC and I hear that is undoubtedly the worst way to go because of the horrible performance issues. I don't see myself plunking down 60$ for a broken port.

I do like what I'm seeing in this thread though, it sounds like several people who did reviews for the game were playing it wrong. IF I do ever pick this thing up I will take what others have posted here and apply it to my run through. Currently I am trying to pick up one of those PC keys people got for pre ordering on the xb1 digitally, I figure if the game is as broken as everyone says at least I won't feel the sting of the full 60$ purchase - PM Me if you have one of these btw I am still in the market ;-).

Really looking forward to whatever we see next out of Remedy.

Martin Hatch is straight up the
G-Man from HL2

I mean fuck, he's in the first area and I never even noticed him on my first playthru

Mrcapcom

So I was thinking of getting a Xbox One and because I already have a PS4 and plan to get all Multi platform games on there is this game worth getting? I will most likely buy the bundle which is why I asked here.

dt2

Banned
So I was thinking of getting a Xbox One and because I already have a PS4 and plan to get all Multi platform games on there is this game worth getting? I will most likely buy the bundle which is why I asked here.

It's really hard to say without knowing a specific person's taste. If you like Remedy games or third person shooters with a strong focus on narrative then there's a good chance you'll very much enjoy this game (and you'll get Alan Wake as well). If you're going to get a Xbox anyway then I'd definitely spring for the white Quantum Break bundle; it's only $279 on eBay right now.

Mrcapcom

It's really hard to say without knowing a specific person's taste. If you like Remedy games or third person shooters with a strong focus on narrative then there's a good chance you'll very much enjoy this game (and you'll get Alan Wake as well). If you're going to get a Xbox anyway then I'd definitely spring for the white Quantum Break bundle; it's only $279 on eBay right now.

I loved Alan Wake. I was going to trade my ps3 in at gamestop for the 100 dollars off and get the xbox one for 199. So thats kinda the main reason why I was looking into Quantum Break Bundle. I'm not to hype to play gears again or halo so those bundles don't look that good imo.

Gestault

G-Man from HL2

I mean fuck, he's in the first area and I never even noticed him on my first playthru

Martin Hatch is the
caveman-era Outta-Timer mentioned in a document who was exposed via a naturally occurring chronon source
, right?

dt2

Banned
I loved Alan Wake. I was going to trade my ps3 in at gamestop for the 100 dollars off and get the xbox one for 199. So thats kinda the main reason why I was looking into Quantum Break Bundle. I'm not to hype to play gears again or halo so those bundles don't look that good imo.

Sounds good, go for it! Most people who enjoyed Alan Wake seem to very much enjoy this game too (myself included). It has a bit of a different tone than Alan Wake (seems more of an evolution of Max Payne) but it's a Remedy game and definitely feels like one!

Yeah, second playthrough is much better. I found way more chronon sources, so I had stronger abilities.

My main Issue with the game is tying upgrades to hidden collectibles. I think that negatively affects the combat experience of people who don't want get into collection questions.

I only missed two chronum sources y first play through so on that regard I pretty much maxed all powers but one by the time I finished. The combat do get funnier as you power up, each battle essentially becomes a sandbox of fun :p

I'm on the second play through now and it's amazing how immediately there's a payoff of replaying.
Right on the beginning you notice how Jack was at the university too all along.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Some funny stuff when starting a game on pc! Dat resting stink face!

https://youtu.be/POukM97PQb4

Loving the game so far, glitches and all! I had no idea what this game was when i got it so the tv stuff and choices you make was a total surprise and wow. I love it!

Fuchsdh

Finished all the other achievements besides the hard difficulty, starting that now.

Definitely appreciating things on a second play through. Can't believe I missed that Hatch and Burke are chilling out at the university before things go south. Paul comments on me reading his email. It's great.

Hawk269

G-Man from HL2

Not going to spoiler it, but yes, he is in the first area when you first start playing the game, but "something" happens that is a little freaky if you stay in that area for a little bit. This game does have a ton of little things hidden that most will not even notice. There are windows you look on and your character begins to talk. Not all of them and there is no icon telling you this, it is just hidden stuff that expands the narrative even more.

I'm watching the first live-action episode (pc version) and it looks choppy as heck like it's skipping video frames. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Alx

I always forget about time blast. Use it on those fucking snipers since it has surprisingly grood range.

Has it ? I usually use blast at the beginning of an encounter to remove 2-3 opponents in one shot, but rarely during the firefight itself. Maybe against heavies. I will try it on snipers, the best way I had found to deal with them until now was to just shoot them from a cover (well cover-aim-shoot-repeat), but it's not very "quantum".

I'm at the end of act 3 now. I had a weird bug in act 2, where the room would be empty of all furniture except for the interactive one.
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Alx/video/16595429

Zweisy1

Remedy delivered again. Max 2 and Alan Wake are some of my absolutely favourite games of all time and this one is definitely up there. The time powers in this game are even more fun than bullet time 2.0. First AAA game I've truly enjoyed since the Witcher 3.

Great writing, I like the whole time travel story and Time Stabber and Adventures in Flesh are fucking hilarious..

Kinda pissed off though.. Was just playing what I assume is the last boss battle in the game, had the game freeze on me and now it seems I have lost my save. Is this a known problem? I love the game so much Im tempted to just go and start a new game but it'd be bit of a pain having to get all the collectibles again and so on..

K' Dash

Gold Member
Hi GAF, need help, I´ve been trying to download this game from Windows 10 Store but oh surprise, it fails everytime, is there a secret? is there another place where I can download? at first I thought maybe it was the drive I was using to install this, but I tried other drives, including my SSD and nothing.

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

blakep267

After beating the game a few days ago and having some time to process it, I almost feel like I'd have preferred it if it was episodic in release. Like have eps 1-2 available at launch and 1 ep each month thereafter. Because the gameplay got boring after playing for 4 hours or so but I don't think o would've gotten bored of t by playing 1-2 hour chunks every month

After beating the game a few days ago and having some time to process it, I almost feel like I'd have preferred it if it was episodic in release. Like have eps 1-2 available at launch and 1 ep each month thereafter. Because the gameplay got boring after playing for 4 hours or so but I don't think o would've gotten bored of t by playing 1-2 hour chunks every month

That's why you play one episode/TV show a night. ;)

Well at least that's how I played this and Alan Wake when it first came out and was probably the best way to do it.

EBE

still disappointed the game didnt do the whole 'previously on' thing unless you replayed chapters from the timeline

even Alan Wake had those moments if you played two or more chapters consecutively

Top Bottom