• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart Day 1 Patch Adds Performance and Performance RT Modes

MikeM

MS looking for their own true exclusives like

Lokasi GIF by memecandy

Not sure if i'll get this, but if I do, performance RT for me. I love that Sony is ensuring their studios are providing options to their consumers.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Never been much of a Ratchet fan, so am looking for this to be a 9/10 to get me to part with my money.

...there doesn’t seem to be much doubt about how good it looks, if Twitter’s anything to go by.

Arun1910

8-12 hours max
I doubt it.

After playing the 2016 version I had my doubts about how if this game would be a 12 hour story for $70 (which I wasn't willing to do). But the last gameplay showcase they had where they also told us how much new/extra content is in this game, I feel like the price tag will be justified.

I am expecting the game to be at least around 25-30 hours to play all content (not 100% complete).

So you expect this to be the last patch of the game?

Did I say that? When the developer is admitting the on disc build is buggy and begs you to update to the day one patch to fix it and that new content is also in the day one patch, along with all the performance modes then it’s too much when we are paying $10 more for nothing.

elliot5

I doubt it.

After playing the 2016 version I had my doubts about how if this game would be a 12 hour story for $70 (which I wasn't willing to do). But the last gameplay showcase they had where they also told us how much new/extra content is in this game, I feel like the price tag will be justified.

I am expecting the game to be at least around 25-30 hours to play all content (not 100% complete).
No Ratchet in clank game has been more than like 12-14 hours. I highly doubt they over double the content in this game. They would need to come up with some good gameplay variety but a lot of it looks like more of the same R&C.

Jaysen

Banned
30fps feels broken after experiencing 60. I don’t know how long this 60fps PS5 train is going to run, but choo choo while it does.

Jaysen

Banned
What do you mean how long? Seems like 60fps modes in Sony Exclusives is a standard going forward now. If they just dropped that after a couple years it would make no sense.
We are seeing a lot of 60 now thanks to cross gen. It remains to be seen how long some devs will keep doing that once they move on to next gen only and really push graphics.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
id be shocked if NDs game is 60 FPS

some devs are going to push the limits at 1440p30, and 1080p60 or whatever may be too low to have a performance mode…or maybe not
GoW and SOTC had 1080p 60 fps modes on the Pro so there is a precedent.

I think the big problem with the PS4 console was that the jaguar CPUs were so bad that even if you had the graphical horsepower to render twice the frame at half the resolution, the CPU wouldnt allow it. With Zen 2 effectively removing all those bottlenecks, the games resolution and framerate will be limited only by the GPUs like they have done on PCs since the dual core intels came out a decade and a half ago.

1080p 60 fps with TAA and then checkerboarding like Returnal will look way better than traditional 1080p which looks disgusting on larger 4k tv screens. UE5 has an even better TAA implementation which works really well at 1080p so games will still look stunning in their 1080p 60 fps performance modes.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Did I say that? When the developer is admitting the on disc build is buggy and begs you to update to the day one patch to fix it and that new content is also in the day one patch, along with all the performance modes then it’s too much when we are paying $10 more for nothing.
You have the option to download the update just like everyone else.

Welcome to modern game development. As I mentioned earlier, doesn't it get tiring complaining about this stuff? It's not going to change.

HAL-01

If the only basis is greed over finishing a game first then sure. Otherwise it is absolutely humanly possible to have a finished on disc build that isn’t missing content and performance modes. They just choose not to. Just delay the game to July and have it done.

The notion that disc builds shouldn’t be and can’t be complete is egregious.
The notion that you would rather delay a game just so that you don’t have to wait a couple minutes to dl a patch is comical at best

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
If the only basis is greed over finishing a game first then sure. Otherwise it is absolutely humanly possible to have a finished on disc build that isn’t missing content and performance modes. They just choose not to. Just delay the game to July and have it done.

The notion that disc builds shouldn’t be and can’t be complete is egregious.

But what if most of your customers don't want it to be delayed for that? I'm sure most are okay with a day one patch, rather than it being pushed back 1 month.

But what if most of your customers don't want it to be delayed for that? I'm sure most are okay with a day one patch, rather than it being pushed back 1 month.

When the standard is death threats when a game gets delayed (like just last week with God of War Ragnarok) it’s hard for me to care about the point you’re making.

Are those genuine screenshots?

We don't know what mode it is and we also don't know how they were captured. There were some 240P screens floating around and they looked horrible due to the compression. It won't be long until we find out what's going on. But insomniac is having a ball with them at the moment.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
We don't know what mode it is and we also don't know how they were captured. There were some 240P screens floating around and they looked horrible due to the compression. It won't be long until we find out what's going on. But insomniac is having a ball with them at the moment.
Let me assist you.

Open in shoppity shops, turn down saturations and up brightness levels to the max washing out all detail in shadows and shading gradient. Save jpeg over jpeg over jpeg with poor quality selected as a file render. Post to the internets. Hurr durr, we do dif fo fweeee.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
What is Insomniac saying about them?

So Best Buy shipped my copy of Ratchet out today. Says it will be here Wednesday. Pretty awesome I'll have it 2 days ahead of launch

Riky

$MSFT
They were created, shrunk and compressed just for you my friend.

Now it's your job to set them free to flourish throughout the Internet.

968d73461d8364785e2decaff622db3c.gif

I'm actually hoping they are fake as I've got the game coming this week.

• Strength
Reactions: GHG
Can’t wait for Friday!

Looking forward to the reviews tomorrow morning!

Any word if Digital Foundry will have their tech review up tomorrow along with the reviews when the embargo lifts?

Last edited:
If someone tries to evaluate/complains about the IQ of the 60fps mode from this tweeter video encode I will destroy the earth from orbit.
I would bet all my dogecoin (lol) that it is happening right now :messenger_tears_of_joy:

OT: Performance RT sounds like the way to go. 1440p or 1140p scaled up to 4k, but at 60 with RT... I'm all in. I ain't too good for some 1440p. If 1440p is good enough for my cousin who is rockin a 3090... its good enough for me.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Before I get a bunch of warriors in my mentions, let me preface this by saying I regard Insomniac very highly and think they have achieved stellar work with RC. I think everything shown looks great and even "downgraded" looks good.

I had someone here really try telling me that in engine cutscenes aren't "bullshots" because it's in game or whatever, when I made a comment about not taking the marketed cinematic stuff "captured on console" as an indication of what a game will look like in action.

Po717x8.jpg
GlRXSaa.jpg

How can you gonna tell me that the cinematic cutscene below isn't a bullshot, when that's being used as the marketing material from Sony? It's a total difference between that and in game, especially if the screenshot is from the fidelity mode. I still think the in game looks great, and it's good the cinematics are 'real time', but cmon. You're just setting yourselves up for disappointment when you buy in to Sony marketing cutscenes as captured game footage.
Man I missed that laugh :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom