• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart I New Extended Gamescom Gameplay Demo

Hunnybun

I'm waiting for this video upload to finish. I'll show you my last work in the film industry and it should give you some insights on why I judge things so harshly and respect new innovations in graphics (like FS2020, UE5 demo and Black Myth fur rendering).

You seem to be working from a different definition of next gen to everyone else here, namely something that uses new techniques. I think everyone else just thinks of it as "looks way better than current gen".

Pretty much everyone thinks Ratchet looks next gen by the latter definition. Personally I think it looks way better than Black Myth, or Control with max settings.

If you don't, fair enough, but you kind of have to concede that it's a subjective opinion, and also that you're in the small minority.

Papacheeks

Banned
First of all, I am not down talking you. I'm addressing you. Secondly, I worked at BlueSky for 2 yrs on the original Ice Age film. I was a software developer there working with Carl and Eugene FYI. It's a small world.

I don't have any problem with you having an appreciation for the game but I'm not sure how any CGI film of 2016 could look less than a cinematic in a videogame. Lighting and materials? Huh?

Lastly, I got banned from ERA because I rubbed the Sony modforce the wrong way. Not for spewing any "insider" info because I wasn't even verified on that site.

When people make comparisons to the CGI film in 2016, and how this game IQ wise surpasses it I tend to take notice regardless if I have seen "renders fur"

Also you got banned for doubling down on some things on the other site.

You are downplaying that this game IQ wise is on par if not better than a CGI film from 2016 running at a native 4k. And many veterans which I also talk to on CG TALK and the likes would agree with the IQ being very high on that game.
If you go to that link you will see a in-game screen shot from the new game showing really good looking fur that is probably modeled to ratchet instead of being rendered individually. But it still is impressive.

You try to use your career to justify your opinion, and I'm all for people who work in these fields to give insight, but don't go trying to use it to downplay the conversation. You are using your specific workload in rendered CGI, films,tv to down play IQ increases that we and many others have noted on seeing with these new demos.
You think just because you happen to be someone who works in this field that your opinion is god.

Guess what It's not. And you are not the only one in this field that can talk with that type of insight.
I think everyone in the industry covering gaming and others who work in the VFX industry would concur on how good it looks. It's just you saying your not impressed. And there's nothing wrong with that especially given the examples you gave which were insightful.

But your comparing specific rendering of objects/assets like hair/fur and not looking at everything else in the game. Like assets in the unreal 5 demo were movie quality meaning 8k assets.
This game is using similar things. Especially if you look at the other demo with the beginning clip.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Why? Because I'm not praising it to high heavens? I was being realistic. The guy asked me for my input and I gave it. It's because I worked in the industry that I am so picky. You guys wanted next-gen visuals and this game doesn't show you what you've already seen and labeled as current-gen. Why should it be elevated to "next-gen" status when it's not doing anything we haven't seen before?
It can be next-gen and you can still point out flaws. Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 is widely regarding as next-gen for example, but you can certainly pick out numerous flaws with the games visuals. Besides this game has a number of techniques inherit to it that can not have been replicated on previous gen hardware, so it qualifies as next-gen based on that alone.

Also, before you ask, then next gen features is the 1 second world loading and RT reflections to name just two. Try doing that on current gen consoles and see how that works out for you. Yes, PC can do RT reflections as well, but PC has never been included in these comparisons, the 'gen' in next-gen refers to generations, namely console generations. Thus, this game very much qualifies at next-gen.

Lol, you really are butthurt and annoyed with Sony. What happened? Did you apply to work at one of the Sony studios and got rejected?

Please, sit down and take this this doll. Please point where Sony touched you. ;)
Posts like this drive me crazy. You come off as an immature crybaby who can't handle criticism of a video game... but I'd bet is a mud-slinger in xbox threads. The reality is people who work in a profession and have a knowledge base have a different perspective and may see things different than a layman. This is true with any profession. When you guys post stuff like this it comes off as you being butthurt, not edgy fyi.

I think R&C look phenominal, but I don't think it looks groundbreaking and I'm not even in the industry. I have yet to see anything that screams generational leap like Gears did with the 360, Killzone with the PS3, or even RE1 with the PS1 from either console at this point. Will R&C be a great game.. probably.. it looks like a prettier version of their last game, so I'm sure it'll be fun.

Why? Because I'm not praising it to high heavens? I was being realistic. The guy asked me for my input and I gave it. It's because I worked in the industry that I am so picky. You guys wanted next-gen visuals and this game doesn't show you what you've already seen and labeled as current-gen. Why should it be elevated to "next-gen" status when it's not doing anything we haven't seen before?

This game is more of a SSD showcase than a visual showcase. So next gen.

Graphics ain't bad either.

JTCx

I use to go to school for Animation and design in Academy of art in San-Frnacisco was on the BlueSky studios internship they had. I know what a fur render looks like. All I said was I was impressed with the character models of ratchet and clank.

And compared to the 2016 CGI film they are better in character detail, polycount, lighting, and materials used.

I may not be in this field anymore as I am in IT administration now, but I dont need some asshole talking down to me and others. Who was literally banned for spewing bullshit insider info on the other site.
Oh shit word!? Fellow alumni I graduated from there too many years ago. Not fulltime cg artist anymore but still do contract and side gigs. Good thing theres others on here, we can all see through his bullshit:messenger_fistbump:

Did you just imply that Craig is a quality 3d character model?
just that ratchet is a blurry mess in motion. go on, you try and capture up close in motion one of those brute-type enemies from the trailer for me too, if you can.
already two people committed to do just that and failed. you know what einstein said, definition of insanity is trying the same thing again and again, expecting a different outcome each time.
so please, be my guest

in contrast, would you like me to post again the video segment from which the "craig" meme was created?
just to see how "blurry" was that in comparison...!

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

just that ratchet is a blurry mess in motion. go on, you try and capture up close one of those brute-type enemies from the trailer for me too, if you can.
already two people committed to do just that and failed. you know what einstein said, definition of insanity is trying the same thing again and again, expecting a different outcome each time.
so please, be my guest

in contrast, would you like me to post again the video segment from which the "craig" meme was created?
just to see how "blurry" was that in comparison...!
Craig's problem is that he's blurry, or the fact that he somehow is devoid of facial hair when his race used to thrive in it in previous games?

Craig's problem is that he's blurry, or the fact that he somehow is devoid of facial hair when his race used to thrive in it in previous games?
halo brutes are on a special "diet" so they can run at 120fps
of course, if 343i was "smart" (and by that I mean stupid) enough to pour motion blur on everything, nobody would ever be able to see his face, let alone count his facial hair.
one of the good things with high framerates is that you dont need to blur everything in order to mask the poor framerate.

Nickolaidas

Do you see any blurriness here?
Are you satisfied with what you are seeing?

Chsqi0z.jpg

This is what you should be seeing.

xDnnQn4.jpg

sinnergy

I agree with vfx , while it looks better than Halo showing or anything MS showed it has the marks of a cross generation game , it looks a little bit better.

Do you see any blurriness here?
Are you satisfied with what you are seeing?

Chsqi0z.jpg

This is what you should be seeing.

xDnnQn4.jpg
You can't be at all serious by bringing up the CG cinematics of atriox, brute chieftain that Blur Studios created , and pretending this is your expectation for every brute minor.
No matter how extraneous one could be to halo, this is just trolling.

Go watch some videos of Halo 3, where the brutes were the main antagonists and the larger amount of diversity between them exists, then return here to say you made a mistake.
Just to give you a good push-start, there are minor brutes (soldiers), majors, commanders, chieftains, etc

what you see in the video segment is a minor. by the way, its the part from which the single frame was secluded and made the craig meme. try and spot that single frame that created "craig" if you can

now, you watch the above a couple of times, then go to youtube and watch some minor brutes from halo 3. then come back here and say you are sorry

Last edited:

zettacroix

Neo Member
For me it looked almost identical to what they showed last time. After the interview where they confirmed that rift jumping between worlds will only be here and there in the game, my interest fell to a low. Gameplaywise it looks like a very generic casual third person shooter - although I'm not a ratchet and clank fan therefore I'm completely objective as if it'd be a new IP.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oh shit word!? Fellow alumni I graduated from there too many years ago. Not fulltime cg artist anymore but still do contract and side gigs. Good thing theres others on here, we can all see through his bullshit:messenger_fistbump:

Yup, I tested into the the Blue Sky classes, but when I went was 2007-- and we had the economic crash. I lost all my loans, I was from Newyork so I couldn't get a call grant or anything. So I was close to signing on a loan to finish my last year. But it was too steep since it came from a credit union.

So I finished my semester and changed over career to IT. Since I was helping a lot in the labs with PC's. Also there were tons of people at the time that were building their own PC's for rendering so they didn't have to go all the way down to the federal district just to do some renders.

Thats how I changed careers.

Also it was just leaked that there will be a 60fps mode for ratchet and clank at lower settings.

Translated:
--I understand. Also, what frame rates and resolutions are supported?

Increasing the beauty of the microphone image reduces the frame rate, which is a difficult balance to achieve in any game. In this game, we've focused on balancing the comfort of the action with beautiful graphics while allowing players to choose between two different resolutions and frame rates. One is a 4K resolution at 30FPS, and the other is a lower resolution at 60FPS. We're planning to offer either of these two options.

Ishitate-I'd like to add that in Ratchet & Clank, starting in the latter half of the PS3 era, we've chosen to ditch the 60FPS of the PS2 era for 30FPS in order to make the graphics more beautiful, and the actual gameplay has been made at 30FPS. This time around, players can choose whether to go the 60FPS route of the PS2 era or the high resolution & 30FPS route of the PS3 and beyond.

Last edited:

JLMC469

Banned
The only thing I would “criticize” and in all fairness this was just a 7 minute demo and all R&C are like this, is that I would have hoped for bigger playing areas.

Seems like is just one constrained environment after the other. Again, all R&C are like this and maybe criticize is a bad word for it (more like an observation).

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

You can't be at all serious by bringing up the CG cinematics of atriox, brute chieftain that Blur Studios created , and pretending this is your expectation for every brute minor.
Why not? Ratchet & Clank currently looks exactly like the movie, if not better.

And sure, let's compare the brutes of a less than 1 TF console made fifteen years ago to those of a 12TF console and expect them to be more or less the same and have no evolved design whatsoever.

You sure I'm the troll here?

Here are some brutes from ODST. Even those guys had some hair.

dfRjFhW.jpg

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
Yup, I tested into the the Blue Sky classes, but when I went was 2007-- and we had the economic crash. I lost all my loans, I was from Newyork so I couldn't get a call grant or anything. So I was close to signing on a loan to finish my last year. But it was too steep since it came from a credit union.

So I finished my semester and changed over career to IT. Since I was helping a lot in the labs with PC's. Also there were tons of people at the time that were building their own PC's for rendering so they didn't have to go all the way down to the federal district just to do some renders.

Thats how I changed careers.

Also it was just leaked that there will be a 60fps mode for ratchet and clank at lower settings.

Translated:

THIS IS GREAT!!!! I love options. So this game will have both 30 fps and 60 fps.

GymWolf

Gold Member
The only thing I would “criticize” and in all fairness this was just a 7 minute demo and all R&C are like this, is that I would have hoped for bigger playing areas.

Seems like is just one constrained environment after the other. Again, all R&C are like this and maybe criticize is a bad word ford it (more like an observation).
Every ratchet has some more open areas to explore for secrets and some little action packed areas, i think we are gonna have some big place to visit in the game.

But yeah, the small sections looks a little bit too small.

Pedro Motta

I'm sure you understand that this game is in development for at least 2 years, it's a launch window title. They probably didn't have a good enough devkit until mid 2019. And I'm sure you are aware of optimization, it's simply stupid to raytrace everything even when it's not needed, you can't just brute force quality like you do with offline rendering. If you compare this with the last Ratchet and Clank for the PS4 it definitely is next gen, don't understand your problem.

VFXVeteran

Banned
You seem to be working from a different definition of next gen to everyone else here, namely something that uses new techniques. I think everyone else just thinks of it as "looks way better than current gen".

Pretty much everyone thinks Ratchet looks next gen by the latter definition. Personally I think it looks way better than Black Myth, or Control with max settings.

If you don't, fair enough, but you kind of have to concede that it's a subjective opinion, and also that you're in the small minority.

Every single game that comes out exclusive for Sony is going to be considered "next-gen" to you guys. You will intentionally ignore the 3rd party games even if they are doing something spectacular. I saw it for years last gen. This gen will be no different. Judging graphics should be based on the fact that it's doing something unique and GPU computensive. That's why I hate getting into subjective arguments with the Sony guys. Most Xbox guys are more down to earth and can see their exclusives for what it is.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
When people make comparisons to the CGI film in 2016, and how this game IQ wise surpasses it I tend to take notice regardless if I have seen "renders fur"

I never saw the 2016 movie of R&C. Didn't even know once existed nor do I know what company did it. But reading that article doesn't lend any credence that I'm wrong about my opinions.

Also you got banned for doubling down on some things on the other site.

No I didn't give ANY insider information. So it is as I said it was. I'm not sure why it continues to be brought up here though. The mods know my history and they don't seem to have a problem with me. It's always brought up by a Sony guy who is trying to incite negativity into my arguments? Why?

You are downplaying that this game IQ wise is on par if not better than a CGI film from 2016 running at a native 4k. And many veterans which I also talk to on CG TALK and the likes would agree with the IQ being very high on that game.
If you go to that link you will see a in-game screen shot from the new game showing really good looking fur that is probably modeled to ratchet instead of being rendered individually. But it still is impressive.

You think it's impressive. I think other games are impressive and I give objective facts why. You haven't given any objective facts that promotes discussion. It's just "you are being an asshole because you downplay this Sony exclusive". What's funny is that you guys don't even see your own bias or willing to admit that you are biased. I've judged every single game demo this gen whether on PC/XSX/PS5 the way I see it. Not all the games coming out will be next-gen quality. And that means Sony games as well.

You try to use your career to justify your opinion, and I'm all for people who work in these fields to give insight, but don't go trying to use it to downplay the conversation. You are using your specific workload in rendered CGI, films,tv to down play IQ increases that we and many others have noted on seeing with these new demos.
You think just because you happen to be someone who works in this field that your opinion is god.

I use my experience and knowledge of how shading and lighting works to give insight. It's not that my opinion is god. I never come in here and say, "listen to me because I know it all.." In fact, I wouldn't have even pointed out the things I saw if someone didn't ask me.

But your comparing specific rendering of objects/assets like hair/fur and not looking at everything else in the game. Like assets in the unreal 5 demo were movie quality meaning 8k assets.
This game is using similar things. Especially if you look at the other demo with the beginning clip.

Trust me. I look at everything else in the game. And I compare it to what I've already seen. I think we should all do that. No game is perfect. And this game isn't using 8k textures or Zbrushed models like UE5. Stop spreading FUD.

Last edited:
Every single game that comes out exclusive for Sony is going to be considered "next-gen" to you guys. You will intentionally ignore the 3rd party games even if they are doing something spectacular. I saw it for years last gen. This gen will be no different. Judging graphics should be based on the fact that it's doing something unique and GPU computensive. That's why I hate getting into subjective arguments with the Sony guys. Most Xbox guys are more down to earth and can see their exclusives for what it is.

why do you get the idea anyone ignores anything spectacular on any platform?

if anything, fanboys have far more interest in whats happening on other platform.

Also why a game must do something unique or computationally intensive to look good or considered next gen?

VFXVeteran

Banned
why do you get the idea anyone ignores anything spectacular on any platform?

if anything, fanboys have far more interest in whats happening on other platform.

Also why a game must do something unique or computationally intensive to look good or considered next gen?

Because the overall consensus is that is the requirement. Would you all be OK with stating that Control, Metro, BF5, RDR2 and MW all on PC are next-gen titles due to the fact that most use RTX and some can't be run at 4k with Ultra settings on current gen?

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
I have the ps4 ratchet and clank, it looks great on the ps4pro but I've not been interested in playing it other than once with my now ex girlfriends daughter at the end of last year.

I think it's best to watch a few gameplay trailers of the new one but £70 is not happening.
When has there been any suggestion that games will be £70 in the UK?

VFXVeteran

Banned
I'm sure you understand that this game is in development for at least 2 years, it's a launch window title. They probably didn't have a good enough devkit until mid 2019. And I'm sure you are aware of optimization, it's simply stupid to raytrace everything even when it's not needed, you can't just brute force quality like you do with offline rendering. If you compare this with the last Ratchet and Clank for the PS4 it definitely is next gen, don't understand your problem.

I'm not comparing CG brute force to these games. But I am comparing brute force rendering in realtime to these games. If the requirement is that a current game looks better than the previous and should therefore be considered "next-gen" well then we have a LOT of those games out now. What was left out in the previous R&C on the PS4 version? Was it textures, better lighting? Better materials? What? Can we add the PC into the fray and say that nearly every single PC 3rd party game in current gen looks better than it's console equivalents and therefore claim that we have had next-gen graphics years ago? What's the criteria? I'm going to make a thread on this very topic.

Last edited:
Because the overall consensus is that is the requirement. Would you all be OK with stating that Control, Metro, BF5, RDR2 and MW all on PC are next-gen titles due to the fact that most use RTX and some can't be run at 4k with Ultra settings on current gen?

'Something unique' is definitely not a requirement to look good.

Computationally intensive? Its a side effect, not a requirement.

If you will approach it as game player instead of developer, I think you will be able to enjoy the finer things better.

Hunnybun

Erm I'm not some kind of Sony loyalist.

I'll get a PS5 cos right now it's looking vastly better than the Xbox, just like I got a PS4 because it was vastly better than the Xbox One.

But before that I bought Xboxes before Playstations.

Top Bottom