• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart I New Extended Gamescom Gameplay Demo

ZywyPL

Banned
4) A lot of the particles and destruction disappear way too quickly. That shows the PS5's lack of bandwidth and storage to hold those things in memory longer.

That's IMO actually a good thing, the game is already heavily packed with action on the screen, if everything lasted longer it would only ended up like many current games where when you're in the heat of combat you just can't see what the hell is going on due to all the overwhelming SFX.

Wow. I can't believe you Sony guys are that excited over the looks of this game. You immediately call it "next-gen" worthy for what exactly? RT reflections and fast loading of levels? I can already see that the criteria for "next-gen worthy" must be it's only available on the PS5 so I guess that culls out pretty much every single 3rd party game coming in next-gen.

source.gif

The game looks good though. Nice art style and I love the abundant FX (i.e. smoke, particles, etc..). It looks like it'll be fun to play.

What happened to you cutting down on this bs? Guess your talk with the mods was a waste of time then

Last edited:

Germuso

Wow. I can't believe you Sony guys are that excited over the looks of this game. You immediately call it "next-gen" worthy for what exactly? RT reflections and fast loading of levels? I can already see that the criteria for "next-gen worthy" must be it's only available on the PS5 so I guess that culls out pretty much every single 3rd party game coming in next-gen.

source.gif

The game looks good though. Nice art style and I love the abundant FX (i.e. smoke, particles, etc..). It looks like it'll be fun to play.

Why so salty?

denisonja

Neo Member
To be back on topic :) This looks amazing and, since this game is anyways one of my favourite PS franchises, ill be playing the shit out of this... Only problem is that this isn't a launch title so my will to buy PS5 day one is getting weaker every day... Not interested in Spiderman, multiplats i play on my pc so.....

sncvsrtoip

source.gif

probably couse it's only real nextgenish looking gameplay we have for now

Pedro Motta

I'll tell you what I see.

1) The RT reflections are used very sparringly. It's not on every shiny surface and it makes the scene look odd. You got some surfaces using SSR and some using Cubemaps.

2) Ratchet doesn't even have real fur. Not in cinematics and certainly not while controlling the main hero.

3) The transitions to worlds isn't happening "instantly". It actually takes a couple of seconds (just a nitpick).

4) A lot of the particles and destruction disappear way too quickly. That shows the PS5's lack of bandwidth and storage to hold those things in memory longer.

5) The FX don't appear in reflections.

6) There is PBR of shaders but we've seen that all last gen.

Overall it's not doing anything new accept the fast load times. Graphically it's par for the course with some great art direction. One thing I hope you guys can take away from this though is how clean the image looks in native 4k. That alone should give you stricter requirements that your games not use any kind of checkerboard rendering. It truly takes away from the quality of the render.

Bro, for someone who says that works in the realtime industry, you are very picky and show very little understanding and respect for what's going on with this game. It's getting really annoying.

MastaKiiLA

Looks cool. Can someone please explain me why this is not available on PS4 and is not a cross-gen title?
Insomniac is a dev Sony can rely on to make a launch window, so they probably figured they can use them to get product available in time, that can help to sell systems. Making it cross-gen diminishes that potential, since a portion of those sales will go to PS4, and not push people to buy the new machine to get the same experience. To push PS5s, they want PS5-exclusive content.

Also, the world-hopping would not be possible on the PS4. They'd have to make each hop a loading screen, which would make things like the sequence we see in this demo not practical. Minutes of loading just for a largely railed/tunneled action sequence isn't good.

Last edited:
I've already said this. They've added lots of post-processing effects to give it that CG-look. Without them, it would look flat and bland. I suggest you educate yourself a thing or two about the depth of field, motion blurs, and how it works my friend. The game's using very high-quality camera motion blur as well as per-object motion blur. So, of course, any character movement is going to show trails in still shots due to per object MB. And camera movement will show every object to leave trails in still shots due to camera MB. That's how it works in real life.

Motion blur in RL:
bongos.jpg

A very good e.g. of motion blur in action:
nk5d3wj.jpg

A very good e.g. of DoF in action:
4rjuOiv.jpg

Water, grass and the tree on left, and the building in the bg are out of focus, even Ratchet's feet are out of focus. What is in focus is the enemy you're shooting, and the particles coming out of your gun. This adds depth to the scene.
I'll give you F for honesty and D for effort

The game indeed has very nice depth of field effect when zooming to shoot.
Also has good per object motion blur when you are not moving, like the two grabs that you cherry-picked show.
I asked you for some grabs when turning the camera though.

so, here is how the screen looks when moving straight.
ratchet10-straight.jpg

and this is what happens when you decide that you want to turn joypad 4-5 degrees to the right to shoot the bad guy:
ratchet10-move.jpg

not DoF, not per object either. just plain blur

I am sure you know this already, since you went into all the hassle of cherry picking frames, but let me post a couple of examples of blur when turning

ratchet8.jpg

ratchet7.jpg

ratchet3.jpg

ratchet9.jpg

etc etc etc

I hope that just like spiderman there will be a visual option to disable motion blur.
personally I find it less distracting to notice the lack of frames in motion, than everything coming in and out of blur every time I move the camera.
in all cases, trying to rename typical 30fps screen blur to "CG look-alike" is pretty funny

GymWolf

Gold Member

Also has good per object motion blur when you are not moving, like the two grabs that you cherry-picked show.

ratchet10-straight.jpg

and this is what happens when you decide that you want to turn joypad 4-5 degrees to the right to shoot the bad guy:
ratchet10-move.jpg

I am sure you know this already, since you went into all the hassle of cherry picking frames, but let me post a couple of examples of blur when turning

ratchet8.jpg

ratchet7.jpg

ratchet3.jpg

ratchet9.jpg

etc etc etc

I hope that just like spiderman there will be a visual option to disable motion blur.
personally I find it less distracting to notice the lack of frames in motion, than everything coming in and out of blur every time I move the camera.
in all cases, trying to rename typical 30fps screen blur to "CG look-alike" is pretty funny
Ugh i fucking hate all these effects like blur or dof etc.

Gimme a super clean image every fucking time please.

Thank god you can disable this shit on pc.

That cinematic feeling...i hope ND introduce a 24fps mode to get even more cinematic 🕺

Btw you can choose 60 fps in tlou remastered, i did the second run at 60 and it's much better (obviously)
I much preferred the 30 fps mode myself, actually. 🤷‍♂️

The motion looks really bad, kinda interpolated at 60 fps I think.

MastaKiiLA

etc etc etc

It's a cinematic effect. It helps diminish the jitter you'd get from fast moving objects at 30fps. It's a good choice, IMO. My memory might be bad, but I think they did something similar in previous games.

It's a cinematic effect. It helps diminish the jitter you'd get from fast moving objects at 30fps. It's a good choice, IMO. My memory might be bad, but I think they did something similar in previous games.
I am talking about simply turning here, not even fast moving objects.
and yes, I already wrote that in spiderman there is a slider you can turn all the way to "off" to make this jarring effect go away, of course the cost being in smoothness when turning the camera

aries_71

Very nice, but it's evident we are starting to hit the wall of diminishing returns with this type of games. Unless you are an expert, you won't be able to tell if this is a PS4 or PS5 Ratchet.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!

ratchet10-straight.jpg

ratchet10-move.jpg

ratchet8.jpg

ratchet7.jpg

ratchet3.jpg

ratchet9.jpg

etc etc etc

Jesus, just smear vasoline over the screen.

MastaKiiLA

I am talking about simply turning here, not even fast moving objects.
and yes, I already wrote that in spiderman there is a slider you can turn all the way to "off" to make this jarring effect go away, of course the cost being in smoothness when turning the camera
When turning, the bg objects move faster the further from the camera they are. This blur seems to be progressive in that way. It's a cinematic blur, like fast camera panning in a film. This game involves lots of camera panning. This is definitely the correct visual solution at 30fps.

When turning, the bg objects move faster the further from the camera they are. This blur seems to be progressive in that way. It's a cinematic blur, like fast camera panning in a film. This game involves lots of camera panning. This is definitely the correct visual solution at 30fps.
As I said, there is nothing funnier than trying to rename typical screen blur to mask framerate as "next gen cinematic CG effect"

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Innovation = gimmicks
I’ve heard it all!
Dude, morphing an area was already done in soul reaver saga and in many other games with actual gameplay ripercussion, this is just a more advanced nicer looking version of that.

Is it harsh calling it gimmick? Maybe.
But for me it's mostly a gimmick, maybe for you having a loading screen masked by warp tunnel or having a gun that you can use to enter in this portals (like the game portal) is some revolutionary stuff, good for you, thank god we are not an hive mind in here.

Last edited:

Zoro7

Banned
Dude, morphing an area was already done in soul reaver saga and in many other games with actual gameplay ripercussion, this is just a more advanced nicer looking version of that.

Is it harsh calling it gimmick? Maybe.
But for me it's mostly a gimmick, maybe for you having a loading screen masked by warp tunnel or having a gun that you can use to enter in this portals (like the game portal) is some revolutionary stuff, good for you, thank god we are not an hive mind in here.
Show me one other game that does the same thing? Loading screen?? It’s like a couple of seconds, how is that even considered loading.
Do you know the definition of innovation?
No other game loads 5-6 different worlds within seconds.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Some of you need to read some psychology books. If you’re going to spend the rest of the generation in PlayStation threads trying to convince everyone is blind then you should learn how to do it properly.

Looking like bitter 14 year old kids doesn’t really work.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Show me one other game that does the same thing? Loading screen?? It’s like a couple of seconds, how is that even considered loading.
Do you know the definition of innovation?
No other game loads 5-6 different worlds within seconds.
I have shitty memory, i already named the soul reaver saga that are more than one game, you morphed an entire area in matter of seconds with a psx hardware.

Tell me what are you doing in terms of gameplay that you can't do in current gen games? Having different looking areas where the gameplay remain the same simple loop of shot and avoid? The warp gun that works exactly like any other rope gun for fast traversal but with the dimensional warp graphical effect? It's great to look and all of that, but if you think that you are playing something completely new in rerms of gameplay then i have nothing more to say.

And yes, that warp jump with ratchet falling is a beatiful loading screen to load the other area, the fact that you don't do nothing while falling it's a big hint...

You call that innovation, i call that a nice looking gimmick to show why they choose a faster ssd instead of a more powerfull gpu.

Matter of taste i guess.

Oh and inb4 people calling me a ps5 or ratchet hater i bought every ratchet game and i preordered my ps5 2 weeks ago, i can show you the receipt if you want...

Last edited:

Zoro7

Banned
I have shitty memory, i already names the soul reaver saga that are more than one game, you morphed an entire area in matter of seconds with a psx hardware.

And yes, that warp jump with ratchet falling is a beatiful loading screen to load the other area, the fact that you don't do nothing while falling it's a big hint...

You call that innovation, i call that a nice looking gimmick to show why they choose a faster ssd instead of a more powerfull gpu.

Matter of taste i guess.
Falling in it for all of 2 seconds....it takes longer to take a lung full of oxygen. Man what a loading screen that is. And what has Xbox shown with it’s more powerful GPU that makes you so happy?

GymWolf

Gold Member
Falling in it for all of 2 seconds....it takes longer to take a lung full of oxygen. Man what a loading screen that is. And what has Xbox shown with it’s more powerful GPU that makes you so happy?
Dude...did i ever said that it was a long loading screen or that it was bad or anything negative about that??

I only stated that this is indeed a loading screen, short or long doesn't matter.

Do you call fucking your girl for 5 min or 5 hours with a different name? It's still called fucking...

Also gtfo with that xbox bullshit, why with fanboys like you it's always the same story? Some people is not ripping their hairs off so they have to be xboys uh...

I don't need an xbox because i have a pc and i have already preordered my ps5 from gamestop 2 weeks ago and i'm gonna buy the game for sure, what's your situation pal??

Last edited:

HAL-01

Huh. Looks like all the people deemed persona non grata in the next gen thread have come here for easier pickings
everyone feel free to ignore the people trying to shit on the game for having *checks notes* motion blur

Md Ray

ratchet10-move.jpg

ratchet8.jpg

ratchet7.jpg

ratchet3.jpg

ratchet9.jpg

Again, what you show in those last 4 screenshots can be called as camera motion blur. And they look great in motion when implemented well with high samples. This is such a weird nitpick as this isn't specific to R&C nor is it specific to 30fps games as it's something even the recent DOOM games also use it:

rZ3gu5.png

20200320161403_1.jpg

a blur to hide the 30fps

And these PostFX aren't there to hide the 30fps. DOOM is built from the ground up to run at 60fps & above and targets 60fps on all consoles (except Switch)! What is DOOM trying to hide here? And they're first-person shooters, unlike R&C which is third-person. Calling it 30fps blur only makes you look ignorant and salty.

It's something even Crysis 2 had:
IMG0032868.jpg

ratchet10-straight.jpg

doom-eternal-1.jpg

And here is how the screen looks when moving straight in DOOM Eternal. Do you realize how stupid your argument sounds?

Last edited:

Zoro7

Banned
Dude...did i ever said that it was a long loading screen or that it was bad or anything negative about that??

I only stated that this is indeed a loading screen, short or long doesn't matter.

Do you call fucking your girl for 5 min or 5 hours with a different name? It's still called fucking...

Also gtfo with that xbox bullshit, why with fanboys like you it's always the same story? Some people is not ripping their hairs off so they have to be xboys uh...

I have my ps5 already preordered from gamestop and i'm gonna buy the game for sure, what's your situation pal??
You started the Xbox bullshit by saying Sony was trying to use the SSD to cover up its weaker GPU. Clearly comparing it to the Xbox. I see the 2 seconds “loading” as a transition. It’s not even remotely similar to a loading screen or elevator.

GymWolf

Gold Member
You started the Xbox bullshit by saying Sony was trying to use the SSD to cover up its weaker GPU. Clearly comparing it to the Xbox. I see the 2 seconds “loading” as a transition. It’s not even remotely similar to a loading screen or elevator.
Dude we are discussing about nothing, call it a loading screen or a transition i don't care.

Also yeah, i still have to see something from the ssd sauce that is more important to me than better details\resolution\framerate that you can have with a better gpu.

Does this make me a xboys? No, i just like to troll and being ironic sometimes both for sony and M, people who know me knows that very well my dude.

Why do i have to fake enthusiams if faster loading screens and changing different location in a short burst of time doesn't really impress me?? We are not all the same...

And you can be 100% sure that all this stuff is a method to make people know why they choose an ssd instead of a more pwoerfull gpu, it's not really a mistery...i mean even the supposed technical experts on yt said the same thing "the game has a lot of this stuff to demonstrate the power of the ssd" , there is nothing controversial or fanboish in my words.

Last edited:

Zoro7

Banned
Dude we are discussing about nothing, call it a loading screen or a transition i don't care.

Also yeah, i still have to see something from the ssd sauce that is more important to me than better details\resolution\framerate that you can have with a better gpu.

Does this make me a xboys? No, i just like to troll and being ironic sometimes both for sony and M, people who know me knows that very well my dude.

Why do i have to fake enthusiams if faster loading screens and changing different location in a short burst of time doesn't really impress me?? We are not all the same...

And you can be 100% sure that all this stuff is a method to make people know why they choose an ssd instead of a more pwoerfull gpu, it's not really a mistery...i mean even the sipposed technical expert on yt said the same thing "the game has a lot of this stuff to demonstrate the power of the ssd" , there is nothing controversial or fanboish in my words.
Lol wow.
You’re telling me Sony is using the SSD?? How dare they! How dare they justify why they chose such a fast SSD. Man I’m done with you.

using doom of all things to justify full screen motion blur on a 30fps game....
in games like doom, cod, first person shooters in general, if your pc is capable of high framerate, turning off blur is probably the very first thing you will do...
but yeah, JUST LIKE DOOM :messenger_tears_of_joy:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I bet it is not as high as your bias, nothing is.
Yep, i'm so biased that i already preordered a ps5 and i have zero intention of buying a sex.

Another poor sony fanboy that can't grasp how some people have different opinions...go on, i'm here all day, slow day at work :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Yep, i'm so biased that i already preordered a ps5 and i have zero intention of buying a sex.

Another poor sony fanboy that can't grasp how some people have different opinions...go on, i'm here all day, slow day at work :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Good for you I'm really interested in your life, it doesn't prevent you from having poor arguments though.

Edit: Woops my bad I wasn't talking to you and mixed your profil pic with warnen I disagree with some of your points but you are not a console warrior.Apologies.

Last edited:

Keihart

ratchet10-straight.jpg

ratchet10-move.jpg

ratchet8.jpg

ratchet7.jpg

ratchet3.jpg

ratchet9.jpg

etc etc etc

Are you saying that the scene shouldn't have blur when turning the camera? how? Ratchet doesn't blur, it works as it should. Please explain how is this not proper motion blur...
giphy.gif

Top Bottom