• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall is launching on Xbox consoles with Quality mode only (4K30FPS) - 60fps to be patched in at some future point

Imtjnotu

Fast pace fps shooter at 30 frames....

No Way Kg GIF by SHOWTIME Sports

Mr.ODST

There is no coop here. Its not open world either. Completely different game.

Just look at what GG said about doing coop. Horizon was supposed to be a coop game but the hit to visuals was so massive that they completely cut coop from the game to achieve their vision.

Just look at what they are doing with the coop version of horizon. it looks like fortnite trash because again, there is a performance hit.
Shhh let him push his narrative fanboy, you only see him when something negative on Xbox comes up

Eitherway id rather take visual hit than performance

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Some of these devs really need to be called the fuck out though. Let them hear it.

If you’re going to give us shitstain visuals then at least have destruction. If not that either then at least have a performance mode.

Ass graphics
Zero destruction
No performance mode
Zero ambition

I don’t mind the always online but 30 fps for a console shooter is not good.

I will wait for 60 fps patch or when my new gaming PC is built I will play it.

I was hoping this game would be arcane shot at having their own sea of thieves game. Where it will be enjoyed for years to come and have great success.

Now, I am not sure. How hard is it to get this running at 60 fps at launch? It’s literally lowering resolution FFS.

Last edited:

Flabagast

But I though releasing on one platform less resulted in higher optimization ?

Was I lied to ? again and again by the same people ?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Far Cry 4 had coop on PS4 and looks way better than this shit. Shallow excuse.
Well, as long as we agree that your ratchet comparison was a poor one, sure, Far Cry 5 or whichever one had coop is a better comparison. Still, dont think it was 4 player coop and different game, but i will concede its a better comparison.

This is definitely an excuse. They did say that the game will ship with the 60 fps mode at a later date so their publisher is forcing them to ship it in an incomplete state. Perils of multiplatform development I guess. I called this years ago when i saw both Sony and MS going multiplatform. I said they will turn into third party publishers and they already have. I can promise you factions and the 12 other gaas games from Sony simultaneously shipping on PC will have similar issues.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I know you're (half) joking brother but I can already see the incoming "articles" like " Redfall : why 30fps doesn't really matter" , "Redfall: People should accept 30fps even in 2023" and " Arkane has done it again", 8.5/10 score with a passing mention of the low fps while at the same time praising how "fun" it is...
And this great company is buying the biggest publisher in town .... good times ahead

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
You only get one chance to make a first impression. This is so disappointing, you can look at it coming to Gamepass in two different ways:
  • Gives devs a chance to breathe, so they can release the game when it's right because the sales figures are less of an issue

OR

• Games must be released on a set date to fit a content scheduling decision, doesn't matter on quality because people aren't paying full price, they can just patch it in.
Seems Microsoft have settled on the latter.

Ouch, this sucks. I was actually really looking forward to playing this - liked everything they have showed so far and Arkane have never disappointed me before, but sheesh, this is not good, especially for a game that has been met with so much snark, pessimism and pure hatred (by people who haven't played it).
Oh c'mon now, stop it. We are video game enthusiast. We dont have to play a game to know if it is trash or not, the same way a fashion designer doesnt need to see a model going down catwalk to know if their outfit will look good or not. We've seen enough gameplay and trailers over the years to know what a good FPS shooter looks like.

Devs know they have to show gameplay in 2023. We knew Forspoken was trash from trailers, we knew Gotham Knights was bad before playing it, and we knew Halo Infinite looked seriously underwhelming. Theres no reason why this game shouldnt be 1440p60fps on Series X on release. Thats a big red flag.

Xbox first AAA exclusive since Halo is an FPS that can only be played at 30fps...?

Is it just me or MS just want this game out there as soon as possible? Better to delay it then do this tbh.
I agree, I think MS wants to rush the game out because it seems like they don't have anything else this year except Starfield.

From the looks of this game, I don't think it was ever intended to be a big release for them but they probably pushed it in that slot because of a lack of options.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Try them out and tell me if you can see this clearly, base-fucking PS4:

large.jpg

FC4 is a decent looking game but that link is typical Ubi bullshots.

This is what the game looks like in a direct capture via digital foundry

Q1vDoU4.jpg

vj27

Banned
I honestly can’t even remember the last game at 30fps I’ve played. I no life halo infinite and I always have it set at 120fps. Whenever a game gives me the option, I choose frame rate every single time. I was legit watching and reading all the hands on previews because the IGN reveal literally stopped the hype train for me.

Watched them and was impressed with the hands on, like how when there’s multiple enemies on screen you have to prioritize the different enemies in a certain way or you’ll just die, like do I steak these weak vampires or deal with this horde of humans, and if I choose the ladder those weak “immortal” vampires will come back to literally bite me in the ass when im not focused on them, or I only have one steak shot left so now I have to get creative in killing the vamps while multi task/fighting a bunch of other enemies. That bit really gave me halo vibes you know, like take out the elites first so the grunts all run in fear of you or just suicide bomb themselves lol.

Got me hyped… until I seen this…

And arkane wonders why they have a hard time selling games, your one of the few “current gen” only games, your games definitely not a looker and is more stylized which is fine… but 30fps at 4K is your priority????? Couldn’t even do a 1080p 60 🤦🏾‍♂️. I legit don’t even remember what it feels like to play a 30fps game, I’m still gonna try it because I’m interested in this game but all this does is hurt their new IP more than anything else.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

It was 256 players actually but they were all playing against each other. The CPU wasnt handling any NPC or enemy AI.

We went through this with Destiny last gen. It was a cross gen PS3 game that didnt get a 60 fps mode on PS4 because it had to not just handle 6 players during raids but all the AI that each player was interacting with. Even with the mid gen consoles, they had native 4k on the x1x but still not enough CPU power to handle 60 fps. That came later with the PS5 and XSX. Again, Destiny is essentially a PS3 game that needed a PS5 CPU to get 60 fps.

I ran Gotham Knights at 60 fps on my 8 core 16 thread CPU but on several occassions, the game just crashed during coop after stuttering down to just 2 fps. Im sure its possible to get this running at 60 fps but they are clearly running into the same challenges other devs have run into.
To be fair, last gen consoles used terrible netbook CPU Jaguar cores that weren't good for anything at all. CPU is arguably where the biggest upgrade happened from last gen to current gen.

Anyways, if the reviews are good, I'll just play this on PC via GP. If the reviews are bad, I'll pass altogether.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
FYI, looks like we were all under a misconception that Redfall is a Unreal 5 game.

It's actually a Unreal 4 game all along.

Redfall runs on Unreal Engine instead of Arkane's Void Engine, right?

Indeed. We're using Unreal Engine 4. Halfway through the project, Epic came up with Unreal Engine 5, but the game is based on Unreal Engine 4.26. If we had more time, we would have probably gone with UE5, but it was a lot of work just upgrading to 4.26.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I honestly can’t even remember the last game at 30fps I’ve played. I no life halo infinite and I always have it set at 120fps. Whenever a game gives me the option, I choose frame rate every single time. I was legit watching and reading all the hands on previews because the IGN reveal literally stopped the hype train for me.

Watched them and was impressed with the hands on, like how when there’s multiple enemies on screen you have to prioritize the different enemies in a certain way or you’ll just die, like do I steak these weak vampires or deal with this horde of humans, or I only have one steak shot left so now I have to get creative in killing the vamps while multi task/fighting a bunch of other enemies. That bit really gave me halo vibes you know, like take out the elites first so the grunts all run in fear of you or just suicide bomb themselves lol.

Got me hyped… until I seen this…

And arkane wonders why they have a hard time selling games, your one of the few “current gen” only games, your games definitely not a looker and is more stylized which is fine… but 30fps at 4K is your priority????? Couldn’t even do a 1080p 60 🤦🏾‍♂️. I legit don’t even remember what it feels like to play a 30fps game, I’m still gonna try it because I’m interested in this game but all this does is hurt their new IP more than anything else.
This is what I was like for Tchia, I was so hyped for it and when I booted it up I nearly felt sick (literally) because it was 30fps and it didn't feel good. Luckily a 60fps patch came out a couple of days later and it was a joy to play. Hopefully they can get a patch out for this within a few days or weeks at most, or I imagine the zeitgeist will pass and people will move on. Maybe PC is its best chance of relevance initially.

Top Bottom