• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Internal batteries ARE AN ANTI CONSUMER SCAM

What do You think?

• Internal is perfect. No complaints

Votes: 168 29.3%
  • Internal is anti consumer but I do not care

Votes: 12 2.1%
  • Internal would be great if they offered replacements

Votes: 96 16.7%
  • Battery door would be better for options

Votes: 245 42.7%
  • I DO NOT CARE AT ALL

Votes: 53 9.2%

• Total voters
Best is wired. Batteries are literally dead weight for any serious gaming. After that I'd go with the Eneloops.

Internal batteries are annoying. But doing an aftermarket replacement isn't that bad. Still, the "whoops I forgot to charge after my last session" inconvenience, and having to pry open plastic shells trying not to scratch it or break off the little plastic clips, make it a worse experience to anyone who isn't like "my controller don't work no more" and just tosses it in the trash when the battery dies.

coffinbirth

Any device without user replaceable batteries is functionally disposable. Game controllers do not fall into that category because the batteries are easily replaceable. Even portable consoles like the switch can get a new battery with little effort.

What we need to stand up to is the glut of other electronics whose batteries require specialized equipment to replace or can't be replaced at all. Any effort to stymie repairability should be rejected. Not for consumer reasons though. I want to stem the massive tide of electronic waste.
I agree, but when 98% of people will likely just buy a new controller vs. seeking out and ordering a 3rd party battery, taking the controller apart and putting it back together again, it might as well be disposable.

And I'm gonna have to disagree with you about how easy it is to change a battery in a Switch...that glue on the cell itself is a total bitch to pull and pry up without bending the cell itself, which is actually pretty dangerous. It was a harrowing experience on the last Erista board swap I did, shit was bulging. I've had some come right up too, mind you.

Last edited:

Lasha

I agree, but when 98% of people will likely just buy a new controller vs. seeking out and ordering a 3rd party battery, taking the controller apart and putting it back together again, it might as well be disposable.

And I'm gonna have to disagree with you about how easy it is to change a battery in a Switch...that glue on the cell itself is a total bitch to pull and pry up without bending the cell itself, which is actually pretty dangerous. It was a harrowing experience on the last Erista board swap I did, shit was bulging. I've had some come right up too, mind you.

Never pry a battery which is glued in place. Use a bit of alcohol to dissolve the adhesive. You might need to work the alcohol deeper under the battery but it should pop right out.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I used to think MSFT was "cheap" because you had to buy rechargeable batteries. Then I bought a 360 (and some rechargables) and my opinion did a 180. Now, I have Eneloops ready to go for various devices and it's so easy to just swap them out from the charging unit. Internal batteries seem silly to me now. Changing them is dicey and I often end up needing to plug the controller in while I play.

They really aren't unless you're incapable of following a step by step tutorial on YouTube. But then this isn't surprising coming from someone who stated the PS5 SSD solution was going to be too complicated for consumers despite it only requiring a screwdriver and a couple of minutes.

I'll take only having to take a controller apart once every ~5-7 years after the battery degrades (if I'm even still using the same controller after that amount of time, unlikely) rather than have to faff about with AA batteries and compartments every other day.

It's 2022, get with the programme.
You shouldn't have to go to YouTube to watch videos on how to change out a non-user accessible battery pack in a controller. I'm not taking apart my controllers EVER. Game consoles should be about ease of use. To advocate AGAINST ease of use seems pretty silly to me but you do you.

We have indoor plumbing and electricity now. You prefer horse drawn carriages, lanterns, and outhouses? Good for you. I'm going with ease of use and simplicity. You're right it's 2022 and the dark ages are over.

Pidull

I'm in complete agreement. I use a modded classic GBA these days, and love that it has batteries. Sure, I swap out rechargeables all the time, but I never have to worry about the Lithium ion batteries dying.

Even a $15 Energizer charger pack with 4 Li-Ion AAs bundled in are perfectly fine for years on a MS controller. Play for 30 hours till you get a low battery warning, spend a minute and a half swapping the batteries out, and put the dead ones on the charger.

No fuss, no muss, no remembering to plug in your controller after using it, no dead internals after 3 years, etc. Chef's kiss.

coffinbirth

Never pry a battery which is glued in place. Use a bit of alcohol to dissolve the adhesive. You might need to work the alcohol deeper under the battery but it should pop right out.
I take it you haven't swapped out a Switch battery then. If it only took alcohol to dissolve the glue, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Also, soaking a Li-Ion cell that is already bulging in alcohol is an incredibly dangerous suggestion. As I previously stated, I've done this before and some are easier than others. And yes, you need pry tools and spudgers to get the job done as it's encased with a raised lip that you have to work around, so no guitar string method like with Macbooks and the like either. Sometimes the glue is in strips on Mariko boards, sometimes not, but every Erista board I've encountered has glue on the entire back of the battery. Haven't done a Lite or OLED yet though, might be easier now though.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
The battery in my DualSense lasts forever and I'd rather use a second controller if I need (I was forced to buy a second DualSense when I bought my PS5 and it's still sealed in the box).

I have eneloops and I fucking hate batteries. Just opening that little door to change the batteries pisses me off. It's like a cheap children toy.

supernova8

Banned
Thanks. You are probably right. I don't have kids and maybe I have too much free time.
Also, I had/still have very bad time at work and I am probably stressed. I noticed I get annoyed really really easily.... over nothing.
Isn't offering basic repair parts a given?
I don't think it's overly dramatic. I actually liked the fact that the Xbox controllers have (had?) user-replaceable rechargeable batteries. I used regular AA batteries until I found those rechargeable battery pod things. It's just good to have choice! I suppose the downside is that it made the controller (at least 360) pretty heavy but I always thought the PS3 Dual Shocks were too light anyway. I know it's weird to complain about something being "too light" but I'm sure many know what I mean.

Then again when I got older I switch to the "cannot be bothered" mentality. I'm happy to simply plug my PS4 controller in via USB. If it dies one day I'll get another. Shit happens.

Last edited:

hinch7

Li-ion batteries in small capacity - like the ones found in modern controllers are so light its hard to notice its weight.

I'd rather deal with drain and efficiency loss over time; for convenience and ease of use with a simple plug and play with a single cable.. rather than fumble about with batteries. Ain't nobody have time for that.

Lasha

I take it you haven't swapped out a Switch battery then. If it only took alcohol to dissolve the glue, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Also, soaking a Li-Ion cell that is already bulging in alcohol is an incredibly dangerous suggestion. As I previously stated, I've done this before and some are easier than others. And yes, you need pry tools and spudgers to get the job done as it's encased with a raised lip that you have to work around, so no guitar string method like with Macbooks and the like either. Sometimes the glue is in strips on Mariko boards, sometimes not, but every Erista board I've encountered has glue on the entire back of the battery. Haven't done a Lite or OLED yet though, might be easier now though.

I do around two per week. More during the holiday. Never "soak" any battery in alcohol either. You put the alcohol in a syringe and inject just enough to soften the adhesive enough for your tools to get leverage. A bit of alcohol is safer than trying to pry out a swollen battery that is glued in place.

Regardless, it's a trivial repair. No soldering. No heat gun. Easy entry. Clear path to the battery.

My DS4 is almost 10 years old and still works fairly well, so I don't mind. Would hate to have to keep switching batteries on the controller or, worse yet, have to buy a battery pack like on Xbox.

Really? I think the Xbox one set up is way more convenient, plus my PS5 controller battery is appalling with holding charge. I essentially have to game with it plugged in and it’s only a year or so ago old.

I get that the PS5 level of haptic feedback doesn’t come free but it’s mad how quickly it drains and I’d love to be able to have a back up battery charging or a couple of AAs I could just a click into it.

BlackTron

I don't like thing, therefore anticonsooomer

It's about as anticonsumer as any corporate byproduct, "we will present this feature as new and better than you ever had it and you will accept it". Like modern TVs vs CRT, "better".

Nothing screams "I'm a commodity, when I'm broken throw me out and replace me!" like being designed without a user-changeable battery. I wouldn't call that a pro-consumer change, but then, everybody else is doing it so whatever.

It's pretty awful though that when the battery goes in the dual sense, it won't turn on even plugged in. Sony had been using internal rechargeable batts since PS2 so I guess they had to innovate a new way to regress.

Pimpbaa

The battery in my DualSense lasts forever and I'd rather use a second controller if I need (I was forced to buy a second DualSense when I bought my PS5 and it's still sealed in the box).

I have eneloops and I fucking hate batteries. Just opening that little door to change the batteries pisses me off. It's like a cheap children toy.

I love my PS5, but man you must have some magical DualSense controller because for me any game that uses the resistive triggers drains the battery super quick. Even games that don’t use the triggers, the battery life is still worse than the Switch Joy Cons and Pro controller and the XB1 controller (from my experience).

Last edited:

GHG

You shouldn't have to go to YouTube to watch videos on how to change out a non-user accessible battery pack in a controller. I'm not taking apart my controllers EVER. Game consoles should be about ease of use. To advocate AGAINST ease of use seems pretty silly to me but you do you.

We have indoor plumbing and electricity now. You prefer horse drawn carriages, lanterns, and outhouses? Good for you. I'm going with ease of use and simplicity. You're right it's 2022 and the dark ages are over.

It's unfortunate that you are put in this position only because the standard xbox controller that is bestowed upon you as a pack-in happens to have such an archaic carry over from days of yore.

But I have some good news for you - Xbox are finally getting with the programme considering the fact that their most premium controller includes an internal battery. Eventually that marvel of engineering, product design and technology will filter down to the standard controller and you will no longer need to advocate for AA battery compartments like a good little boy.

Until then, as you are.

l04c.gif

GhostOfTsu

Banned
I love my PS5, but man you must have some magical DualSense controller because for me any game that uses the resistive triggers drains the battery super quick. Even games that don’t use the triggers, the battery life is still worse than the Switch Joy Cons and Pro controller and the XB1 controller (from my experience).
I have all the options turned on and I never noticed it drains the battery 🤔

If I'm rushing to finish a game and I'm playing longer sessions, I just plug it in while I go eat something or make a coffee. It charges fast enough for a few more hours 🤷

It's unfortunate that you are put in this position only because the standard xbox controller that is bestowed upon you as a pack-in happens to have such an archaic carry over from days of yore.

But I have some good news for you - Xbox are finally getting with the programme considering the fact that their most premium controller includes an internal battery. Eventually that marvel of engineering, product design and technology will filter down to the standard controller and you will no longer need to advocate for AA battery compartments like a good little boy.

Until then, as you are.

l04c.gif
Darkmage is a joke account. He finally got that tag so his days are numbered 🙏

GeekyDad

...There are absolutely no drawbacks to having a batter door on a controller for AA/AAA batteries/rechargeables / play and charge kits.
Your controller will never die.
You will never have to wait for it to charge potentially.
In 20 years, you will just put in new batteries and go.

200.gif

DaGwaphics

Eventually that marvel of engineering, product design and technology will filter down to the standard controller

Then we can enjoy not being able to quickly swap batteries and instead go back to playing with a wire like consoles from the 80s. Hopefully MS is bright enough to at least make the battery packs swapable. But, I'm sure cost cutting will take away that option just like it has for Sony and the Elite, and then you'll have gamers oddly advocating for a cheap shortcut.

With that said, while a rechargeable battery that can't be quickly changed is never the better option, I'd hardly call it anti consumer. Just a classic case of cost cutting.

Last edited:

chriskun

Of course. Electric cars enthusiasts are on the Elon Musk idiot drugs.
The Lithium and Cobalt are starting to be rare resources. getting more expensive, especially Cobalt.
They are recyclable but very expensive and difficlt
The car batteries loose charge and capacity over time faster than controller battries because of temperature changes.
In most countries, you need coal power to charge the electric vehicle...

Electric cars will be perfect when we get more green solar or wind energy and better tech than lithium ion. Now it's a waste of money
If only things followed a pattern where you start off somewhere not that great or flawed, and then people iterate or improve the method or technology. It woukd be really cool if that technology got cheaper over time too. Naaaaahhh tho, we should just keep on doing the same shit.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm fine with the Xbox external battery. Buy a rechargeable play kit thing and works fine. Though after 4-5 years it fizzles out.

I think the biggest scam of controllers is that they are price of a game.

Prices for second controllers like Genesis and PS1 were $20 or $30 US. Half price or less than a game. Then it creeped up during the 360/PS3. Now, it's the same price as a game.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Then we can enjoy not being able to quickly swap batteries and instead go back to playing with a wire like consoles from the 80s. Hopefully MS is bright enough to at least make the battery packs swapable. But, I'm sure cost cutting will take away that option just like it has for Sony and the Elite, and then you'll have gamers oddly advocating for a cheap shortcut.

With that said, while a rechargeable battery that can't be quickly changed is never the better option, I'd hardly call it anti consumer. Just a classic case of cost cutting.

A good pair of eneloops last 15~ hours on a full charge and replacing the battery takes 5 to 10 seconds max. It's a quick and effective way to keep your controller wire-free when playing.

But if anyone is inclined, they can also buy a rechargeable battery back for the Xbox controller.

Having either option available is good, IMO.

I think the biggest scam of controllers is that they are price of a game.

True, true. The controllers are as much, or higher, than a game now. It's kinda ridiculous.

Last edited:

GHG

• Extra batteries do not come as standard with xbox controllers - every controller comes with one set of single use disposable batteries.
  • If you want to use the controller wiselessly at all beyond that point it will incur additional cost - either more shitty disposable batteries or a regargeable solution out of your own pocket.
  • If your battery runs out and you've opted for the play and charge kit then you will be sent back to the 80's (maybe they should put that slogan on the box of those kits?).
  • If your rechargeable solution is not the play and charge kit then you'll still be sent back to the 80's and will faff about with your AA battery compartment for that classic gameboy feel.
But nonsense aside, we are on an enthusiast forum and most of us have multiple controllers for our platforms of choice - I know I did when I had an xbox, along with 2 play and charge kits. You simply rotate them, play with one while the other charges. It's not rocket science.

Last edited:
Back in the PS3 days I mocked the 360 controller needing batteries... Now I realize it's better to have AA for longevity and heck I've been using rechargeable AA for almost a decade

DaGwaphics

A good pair of eneloops last 15~ hours on a full charge and replacing the battery takes 5 to 10 seconds max. It's a quick and effective way to keep your controller wire-free when playing.

But if anyone is inclined, they can also buy a rechargeable battery back for the Xbox controller.

Having either option available is good, IMO.

Agreed. They should have gone with a pack-in battery pack on the Elite for the same reason. The same functionality, but more versatile. But, the internal battery doesn't need a rigid casing and not having a door probably saves a nickel. And consumers are supposed to champion that.

With how accepting consumers are with this type of thing, it's easy to see why the handset/laptop makers have moved forward with the internal batteries, they get planned obsolescence built right in and the consumers still eat it right up.

Last edited:

lachesis

These days, if I can buy things wired, I go with that option.
Something like drill / powered screw driver or Dremel that I rarely use and the battery doesn't hold any charge.
I end up buying a new battery ($$) but end up not using much and loses charge again after a few years - even after regular charging and all.
So if it can be "wired" - I go with wired option these days. 100%. Vacuum cleaner as well. I want that power at any given moment.

Also... about 5-6 years ago, before all this e-bike/scooter craze - I electricfied my Brompton folding bike with a motor and big fat lithium batteries for my commute.
And about 1 and half year of every day riding - it just died in the middle of my commute, in a somewhat dangerous/undesirable neighborhood that I normally just whiz by.
Since then, I've just lost in faith in lithium ion batteries in general. My rarely used scooter's battery, while it was kept on charging - just died too.

It's a nature of things to die... sure, but with my luck, my batteries usually die when I exactly need them the most.... so with anything battery, I tend to have some backup method.

Controllers though, is something that I appreciate the wireless part, because I use it almost daily. It's like coming away from corded rotary phone to wireless phone.
But I tend to keep things very clean and in good working order for very long time. If it's not broken or if I can't fix... I rarely throw away. So I appreciate when the makers offer an official battery replacement part (like Nintendo does with their DS/3DS/Wii U pad) or use conventional rechargeable Enerloop AA/AAA batteries like Wii mote or Xbox pads. Also I appreciate that Wii U's CMOS battery is so easily accessible too.

I recently had to change the PS3 controller batteries with aftermarket thing, which didn't really fit right (appaerently there are few different versions) - and I am not really looking forward changing Dual Sense battery in the future. At least it's once in a 5-6 year thing... but I would love to have the makers to keep the batteries more easily accessible with OEM goods and all.

DaGwaphics

Who the hell is using disposable AA batteries on their controllers? I've used the same 4 Eneloop batteries for over a decade, and I still get 35 hours of charge per swap.

IKR. Early this year I finally junked the 8 pack of eneloops that I purchased in 2006 for the 360. Found some high capacity Energizers that are now doing the job (got to be careful with the Energizers though, most of theirs hanging on the rack are only like a 1,000 or 1,200 mAh which is a little pathetic). Try to go 2,000 plus if you can people. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
With you guys talking Eneloops, I've never used them. I dont use AA batteries much except for Xbox controllers and probably some of my AV remotes use them.

Are Pro Eneloops worth the extra $8? Saw these at Canada Computers.

83GbPl1.jpg

yE7061O.jpg

coffinbirth

I do around two per week. More during the holiday. Never "soak" any battery in alcohol either. You put the alcohol in a syringe and inject just enough to soften the adhesive enough for your tools to get leverage. A bit of alcohol is safer than trying to pry out a swollen battery that is glued in place.

Regardless, it's a trivial repair. No soldering. No heat gun. Easy entry. Clear path to the battery.
If it was a trivial repair we wouldn't be getting paid to do it. Literally the opposite of trivial.

MastaKiiLA

People who still cling to their rechargeable batteries like they're some value-leading proposition are funny. A decade ago? Yeah, maybe you had an argument. Now? Ask the lunatics who complained about phone batteries when we could no longer replace them. See many people clamoring for replaceable phone batteries lately? No. Why? They grew the fuck up. Unless you're running a DIY project, there's no need for rechargeable batteries. And I have 3 high-quality chargers, and a grip of Panny batteries sitting somewhere collecting dust, because once I switched to a vape with an internal battery, there was literally no use for these things.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
With you guys talking Eneloops, I've never used them. I dont use AA batteries much except for Xbox controllers and probably some of my AV remotes use them.

83GbPl1.jpg

yE7061O.jpg

I've been using the regular ones for 2~ years and tbh it has never felt like they run out too quickly or something for me.

I would say go for the regular but if you have $8 burning your pocket no harm in getting the version which has an increased capacity.

They need to optimise internal battery for wired play. If you have controller plugged in and battery is at full charge it should cut off supply to battery.

I have seen some audiophile devices do it.

That way you can use controller in wired mode 10 yrs later when battery dies. If you keep recharging a dead battery it just puffs up and will break controller at its seams.

DaGwaphics

83GbPl1.jpg

yE7061O.jpg

I'm having good luck with these so far, though I'm not sure if they have a bundle of the power plus with a charger: https://www.target.com/p/energizer-4pk-power-plus-rechargeable-aa-batteries/-/A-13738820#lnk=sametab

But, the regular Eneloops should be fine at 2000 mAh, the pro version is just giving you about 25% more capacity.

NinjaBoiX

Wow, you’ve REALLY got a stick up your butt about this battery situation huh? I was going to mention it in the Dualsense Elite thread after you’d posted specifically about the battery like 7 separate times in the one thread, lol.

It’s absolutely not “a scam”, wtf are you even talking about? It would be cheaper to just have a battery compartment, that makes zero sense.

It’s really not a big deal bro, chill…

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

-10-20 years, you get what's happening to ps3 controllers now. Very short or dead battery life. Looking for aftermarket replacements. No official replacements available.
Only in videogame land people will wreak shit over a controller that didn’t last them decades.

GenericUser

Both have their advantages and disadvantages. On playstation, if the battery runs low, I just plug in the USB cable that I have attached to the console and runs to my couch. No biggie, done within seconds. But the internal batteries really don't last long, even when fully charged. So you constantly have to plug/unplug the cable. On xbox, I need to stand up, grab the preloaded enerloops, change batteries, put the empty batteries into the charger to recharge them and only then I can go back to gaming. You are in a multiplayer session when the batteries run out? Tough luck! But the batteries on xbox last like 5 - 7 times as long as the internal battery on the playstation controller, so I only have to replace the batteries all 3 - 4 weeks.

If you could combine the strengths of both controllers (being able to recharge while gaming and replaceable batteries) that would be awesome, but for some reason, the xbox controller can't charge the batteries when you plug in the USB cable.

Last edited:

Sgt.Asher

It's about as anticonsumer as any corporate byproduct, "we will present this feature as new and better than you ever had it and you will accept it". Like modern TVs vs CRT, "better".

Nothing screams "I'm a commodity, when I'm broken throw me out and replace me!" like being designed without a user-changeable battery. I wouldn't call that a pro-consumer change, but then, everybody else is doing it so whatever.

It's pretty awful though that when the battery goes in the dual sense, it won't turn on even plugged in. Sony had been using internal rechargeable batts since PS2 so I guess they had to innovate a new way to regress.
It doesn't take long to replace internal batteries when the lifespan is over, 30 minutes of my time about every 5 years. I've done it before and will do it again when needed. Nothing anti consumer about it.

Top Bottom